PDA

View Full Version : "Endurance" bike frames

Onno
06-30-2014, 08:43 AM
I'm vaguely looking to buy a new bike--I've been riding a Serotta Concours for the past 15 years. I love it, but think I can add to my road bike stable of 1 bike at last, and upgrade to contemporary technology.

I have a long inseam for my height--the Concours is a 60/58.5 (seat-post/top-tube), with a shortish stem. Saddle height is 81 cm. It seems to me that the new so-called endurance bikes now on the market actually suit my body-type pretty well, giving me a fit much like the Concours--that is, a shorter top-tube and longer head-tube than the standard 'race-bike' fit.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what frames I should be looking at? I'm intrigued by the Bianchi Infinito CV, but it's very much at the top end of what I can afford.

Thanks,
Onno

oldpotatoe
06-30-2014, 09:32 AM
I'm vaguely looking to buy a new bike--I've been riding a Serotta Concours for the past 15 years. I love it, but think I can add to my road bike stable of 1 bike at last, and upgrade to contemporary technology.

I have a long inseam for my height--the Concours is a 60/58.5 (seat-post/top-tube), with a shortish stem. Saddle height is 81 cm. It seems to me that the new so-called endurance bikes now on the market actually suit my body-type pretty well, giving me a fit much like the Concours--that is, a shorter top-tube and longer head-tube than the standard 'race-bike' fit.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what frames I should be looking at? I'm intrigued by the Bianchi Infinito CV, but it's very much at the top end of what I can afford.

Thanks,
Onno

Waterford? All custom, built anyway ya want.
Gunnar, stock size but custom available, built anywY ya want.

tiretrax
06-30-2014, 10:17 AM
Do you want to stay with a metal bike or carbon? BMC Gran Fondo is a very nice carbon bike.

Onno
06-30-2014, 10:26 AM
I think I'd like to try carbon. As I say, I want the new bike to be a strong contrast to my old bike, though to have similar geometry.

mvrider
06-30-2014, 10:53 AM
I've had the Infinito CV for a couple of months now. Double-check the geometry, because the headtube is not all that tall, compared to the Domane or some other "endurance" bikes. I still have to use a full complement of spacers to get the ~50-mm bar drop that I like. For reference, I'm a shade over 5'9", with 32-inch inseam, short torso, long arms, 75-cm saddle height. In the 55-cm model, the fit out of the box was just perfect, even with the 120-mm stem(flipped down), which is longer than that on any of my other bikes.

I would characterize the ride as efficient, smoother than my C40, not as springy as my Ottrott. Being damped carbon, it doesn't "zing" the way the ultra-thin tubes on my Responsorium does, but it's not dead-feeling the way my Trek 5200 was. It doesn't smooth out rough roads completely, but I find myself feeling fairly fresh at the end of 50-mile rides. It's running echelon john-built Pacenti SL23s, with Michelin Pro3 Race 700x25s.

rinconryder
06-30-2014, 10:58 AM
Depending on what your intentions are I might wait a little and see where these gravel road bikes go...GT just released a carbon gravel grinder, Specialized it about to release one and I am sure there are a few I am missing. You could have two wheel sets - a strictly road set and then a knobby set if you are into that kind of riding. They look to be endurance geometry so it could be a great double ride and even useful for cross.

pjmsj21
06-30-2014, 11:45 AM
Having similar physical proportions to you, I think I have looked at almost all of the production bikes out there in an effort to get one that is a good fit. I would suggest the Trek Domane. I have test ridden one and really liked the bike and it had as good of a fit as I could find in a stock bike. I am surprised that the Domane doesn't get more press or good word of mouth as it is a really excellent production carbon bike.

kgreene10
06-30-2014, 06:10 PM
I am similarly proportioned. My Trek Cronus fits the bill and is a better bike than you think. They can be had quite cheaply (including one from me). In other brands, Cervelo has the right geo and the 2014 r3 looks like a winner. All Trek's with H2 geo will likely fit. Time is an upper tier option but would work with extra style points. Bikes that are specifically endurance oriented will likely fit but are also tuned for endurance riding. That may be exactly what you want. I want a race bike and so feel more limited.

rnhood
06-30-2014, 08:03 PM
I'd go with the Specialized Roubaix or Trek Domane. The Cronus is also a good bike though stiffer than the others - and with the higher BB it is targeted more to cross racing. But it takes larger tires and allows some gravel or off road riding to an extent. A bit more of an all purpose or adventure bike.

mistermo
07-01-2014, 06:32 AM
The Cronus is also a good bike though stiffer than the others - and with the higher BB it is targeted more to cross racing. But it takes larger tires and allows some gravel or off road riding to an extent. A bit more of an all purpose or adventure bike.

To be clear, there's two Trek Croni- one is a cross frame w/ canti bosses, the other a road frame for standard caliper brakes. The road frame permits larger than usual tires, but I wouldn't say it's a gravel/adventure bike. Although I would say the road Cronus makes a good endurance bike.

eippo1
07-01-2014, 07:27 AM
One that might be worth trying as well is the Pinarello Razha. Most that ride it on test rides genuinely enjoys riding it. Usually comes down to the cost, though.

The Domane is good, but be aware that it has a shorter top tube than other bikes and you may want to try your normal size and a size up.

The Bianchi is a great bike and another worth trying that's not really an endurance bike, but rides well for all day blah blah etc is the Colnago CLX series. The Ace is the upright endurance bike, but IMO doesn't have nearly as nice a ride as the CLX.

Johnnyg
07-01-2014, 08:07 AM

Thanks,
Onno
Check out the geometry of The Stork. I have long legs and short torso. Works for me. Love the bike.