PDA

View Full Version : Vittoria Open Pave EVO CG III

theprep
06-29-2014, 03:20 PM
I never did this before. I rode for an hour this morning, then went back to my garage and immediately swapped tires to these Vittoria's and then went back out again. Back to back like that, you really notice differences.

I had Michelin ProRace 3, 25mm at 90psi which was a pretty smooth riding tire. The Vittoria's, 25 mm at 100psi were noticeably smoother on rough pavement.

Rolling resistance, handling; check, check

I highly recommend these and wish I had tried these tires years ago.

Joe

binxnyrwarrsoul
06-29-2014, 03:25 PM

Md3000
06-29-2014, 04:59 PM
I don't have that much experience with different brands, but my vittoria's and latex tubes are the smoothest ride I have ever had

Cicli
06-29-2014, 05:03 PM
I couldnt agree more. They dont hold up like the Michelins but are well worth the trade off.
I run the SC's and love them.

lhuerta
06-29-2014, 05:32 PM
i don't have that much experience with different brands, but my vittoria's and latex tubes are the smoothest ride i have ever had

+100

chrispino
06-29-2014, 05:44 PM
Some of the best riding clinchers around

I only get about 1-2 months out of the rear tire though
I'm only really using them in the early season "Classic" races (i.e. Battenkill) from now on.

aramis
06-29-2014, 05:56 PM
Just bought a set of the 25s for $100. I hope they are worth it. Was going to use them and latex tubes for racing, since it seemed cheaper than fancy wheels.

I tried the pro race 4's and crashed them on the first ride I used them (front end washed out). I took them off and won't use them anymore. I don't think it was the tires fault, but if I don't have a lot of confidence in the tires it makes riding tough.

I think I'm just going to stick with the continentals for riding otherwise. They last a long time and seem to grip really well and for jra I can't justify running through a set of tires every month or two.

mgm777
06-29-2014, 06:25 PM
I kept my Paves on my bike longer than usual this year. Normally, I take them off at the beginning of summer and ride Conti GP4000s or PR4s. This year, however, I left them on my primary bike because the roads around here are in poor shape from the floods last August. Today, I rode up to Ward via Left Hand Canyon. The road had several large sections that were patched with hard-packed, rutted gravel. Not a big deal on the climb, but the descent required caution. The Paves were noticeably more confidence inspiring during the transitions from smooth pavement to gravel and vice versa. I'm glad I had the Paves today.

theprep
06-29-2014, 08:05 PM
Some of the best riding clinchers around

I only get about 1-2 months out of the rear tire though
I'm only really using them in the early season "Classic" races (i.e. Battenkill) from now on.

Chrispino - How many miles are you covering in 2 months?

velotel
06-30-2014, 01:42 AM
Amazed by the comments on the short life of the Pavés because that hasn't been the case for me, quite the opposite in fact. I put a pair on my bike in August of 012, the front one is still on my bike though I'm finally ready to replace it, with another Pavé of course. The rear one lasted for over a year. Maybe I'm lighter than those with wear problems, about 150 lbs, though hard to believe weight would make that dramatic a difference. For me, the tire of choice for all my riding. The odd thing is that as I recall, maybe the day after I first put them on in 012, I got a flat. Next flat arrived over a year later.

JasonF
06-30-2014, 08:05 AM
I love these tires too, but the center tread on the rear was worn after about 500 miles. I weigh 150 pounds and the roads around me aren't too terrible. They're still my favorite tire, along with the Veloflex Corsa.

bobswire
06-30-2014, 09:17 AM
Amazed by the comments on the short life of the Pavés because that hasn't been the case for me, quite the opposite in fact. I put a pair on my bike in August of 012, the front one is still on my bike though I'm finally ready to replace it, with another Pavé of course. The rear one lasted for over a year. Maybe I'm lighter than those with wear problems, about 150 lbs, though hard to believe weight would make that dramatic a difference. For me, the tire of choice for all my riding. The odd thing is that as I recall, maybe the day after I first put them on in 012, I got a flat. Next flat arrived over a year later.

My experience with the Paves are the same as Velotel. I have a set I've been riding off and on for over 3 years. I switch wheels/tire combination depending on where I'm riding. Vittoria tires are my favorite period, besides the Paves, Open Corsa CX 25,Rubino Pro 25 and Rubino Tech 28's.

JasonF
06-30-2014, 09:32 AM
A bit of thread drift:

Does anyone have experience with the 27 Paves? I'm using Campy Neutrons and I wonder if there's much of a difference between the 25's and 27's on a narrow rim.

enr1co
06-30-2014, 10:28 AM
Went with 27 mm Paves on 25 mm rims, running ~95-100 psi on the recommendation of a few others for a EU trip last April.

Well worth it as pretty certain they were the reason for being flat free and some help w/ fatigue reduction. On normal roads, they make it feel like you are always on fresh paved tarmac.

Have only ~ 600-700 miles on them as have been riding my wheels with skinnier tires since but dont notice much of the file tread wearing?

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/3577307/view/IMG_2218.JPG
http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/3577307/view/IMG_2271.JPG

teleguy57
06-30-2014, 04:09 PM
Went with 27 mm Paves on 25 mm rims, running ~95-100 psi on the recommendation of a few others for a EU trip last April.

Well worth it as pretty certain they were the reason for being flat free and some help w/ fatigue reduction. On normal roads, they make it feel like you are always on fresh paved tarmac.

Have only ~ 600-700 miles on them as have been riding my wheels with skinnier tires since but dont notice much of the file tread wearing?

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/3577307/view/IMG_2218.JPG
http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/3577307/view/IMG_2271.JPG

Great photos -- I'm jealous:)

Used to ride the Pave GC clinchers and loved them. Now I've return to tubulars for all my wheelsets save one, and I'm running both the 24 and now 25mm tubular Paves. Love the tires still, even though as a big boy they do wear on me (although not noticeably more than other tubulars I've run).

Would love to hear about anyone's experience with the 27mm tubs. One trusted source told me they find kinda dead to him.....

chrispino
07-01-2014, 09:05 PM
Chrispino - How many miles are you covering in 2 months?

1600-2000 roughly, depending on training schedule

RAS72
07-02-2014, 10:21 AM
I love these tires too, but the center tread on the rear was worn after about 500 miles. I weigh 150 pounds and the roads around me aren't too terrible. They're still my favorite tire, along with the Veloflex Corsa.

And that frame is not too shabby either.

Andreas
07-02-2014, 03:14 PM
Used to ride them, but have moved on.

Three issues:
1) they tend to get small cuts, similar to other vittoria tires
2) they wear fast. While I get 3.5-4 kmiles out of gp 4seasons or duranos these only get half as much
3) on 3 out of the last 12 i got separation between the green and black parts of the tires

Now on gp4seasons or duranos.

theprep
11-16-2014, 08:38 AM
Even better with Latex tubes. Ride was a 10, now it is an 11.:)

r1lee
11-16-2014, 09:01 AM
Went from using conty 4000s and attack/force to Victoria open corsa CX and SC. Major difference in feeling, I've stuck to vittoria's ever since, just so love the buttery smooth ride.

Duende
11-16-2014, 05:52 PM
Perfect timing. I just cooncidentally bought a pair of these tires yesterday. Needed a winter training tire, to sub in for my Veloflex Corsas (my favorite riding clincher ever)

So far I'm impressed. Did 40 miles through some rather gnarly debris ridden roads. Tires look good stil with no abrasions so far.

They don't grip nearly as good as the veloflex in corners. But the trade off is acceptable.

Come summer I don't see myself not switching back though. :)

Duende
11-18-2014, 11:15 AM
Second ride report

These things are actually breaking in very nicely. I'm impressed! Still no scars or cuts and the ride is becoming noticeably more plush. Using latex tubes of course. I'm sold. :)

merckx
11-18-2014, 11:20 AM
I also agree that these tires are swell. I really like the damping on chatter. Durability is good too. For utmost winter durability, GP4S get the nod, but just.