PDA

View Full Version : Track Wheelset ???

snah
06-28-2014, 06:29 PM
Probably another idiot question, but looking for a new wheelset and have a couple interesting options in the classifieds. So, a single sided hub, can it also run a SS freewheel? Thanks ahead.

velotrack
06-28-2014, 06:30 PM
Yes, less threads but works fine.

06-28-2014, 10:05 PM
The threading on a fixed cog is generally the same as the threading on a single freewheel. But a few provisos.

First, there are different cog threadings -- ISO threading alternatives made the whole proposition more complicated. They are marginally interchangeable -- if you're willing to use a chain whip to crank them on initially and you don't mind eroding the threads a bit. If you stay with one threading, you don't have to face this issue. Both British and ISO are common; you just have to remember which cogs and hubs are which.

Second, single freewheels can require a different lateral positioning to get proper chain line. Some hubs have the threading stop at a different point, so you can't always just put a freewheel on a hub that's cut for a fixed cog and lockring, or vice versa. Most of the time it's pretty close, but it isn't always perfect. And putting a spacer behind a freewheel isn't a problem, but putting one behind a fixed cog reduces the degree to which that cog is locked in place.

I'm not an advocate of using lock rings with a fixed cog, unless you are ignoring all advice to the contrary and riding without brakes. On the track, you don't need a fixed cog and experienced trackies increasingly go without them. This has been discussed recently in other threads on this forum so I won't go into it here. It means you don't have to worry about putting a fixed cog on a hub threaded for a freewheel, but you do need to be sure the lateral spacing is correct. (I have always liked grabbing old 120 mm spaced road wheels designed for 5 or 6 speed freewheels and used them with a fixed cog for winter fixed gear training. The only drawback is that yes, you sometimes have to space the cog to get chain line correct.

Louis
06-28-2014, 10:14 PM
On the track, you don't need a fixed cog and experienced trackies increasingly go without them. This has been discussed recently in other threads on this forum so I won't go into it here.

OK, I'm too lazy to track (pun intended) those threads down, but wouldn't having a fixed gear help you do a track stand, if it happens to come to that in a given race? Or does that only really happen in high-level competition like the Olympics?

Peter B
06-28-2014, 10:45 PM
I think 11.4's referring to trackies foregoing the lock ring.

Louis
06-28-2014, 10:53 PM
OK - so fixed cog but no lock-ring. That's interesting - maybe I should find those threads to get the details.

06-28-2014, 11:01 PM
Your cog will be tight enough to do a track stand on the track without any problem. You don't want to be using the lockring to stop with. And at the track you are changing cogs all the time; you'll just not change gears when you need to if you're having to mess with a lockring all the time.

Louis
06-28-2014, 11:20 PM
Thanks - that makes sense to me.

velotrack
06-28-2014, 11:42 PM
Isn't the OP just talking about a freewheel on a track hub?

Louis
06-29-2014, 12:01 AM
Yes, but I believe we've drifted.

oldpotatoe
06-29-2014, 06:42 AM
Probably another idiot question, but looking for a new wheelset and have a couple interesting options in the classifieds. So, a single sided hub, can it also run a SS freewheel? Thanks ahead.

WEll.fewer threads engage the single speed freewheel..kinda pay yer money, take your chances..It 'can' pulloff if you are a big burly, Cipo type sprinter..I've done it a few times w/o issue..but if ya kill that hub, it IS dead.

BUT the bit of threads for the track cog is the same as the threads for the SS freewheel..

06-29-2014, 12:45 PM
Isn't the OP just talking about a freewheel on a track hub?

Yes. Except for an errant question about lock rings, the only point is that there are minor hub threading differences and minor lateral alignment differences among hubs when mixing fixed and free. Try to thread an EAI cog on a Phil Wood hub and you'll see -- the last 3-4 threads need a chain whip.

oldpotatoe
06-29-2014, 01:17 PM
Yes. Except for an errant question about lock rings, the only point is that there are minor hub threading differences and minor lateral alignment differences among hubs when mixing fixed and free. Try to thread an EAI cog on a Phil Wood hub and you'll see -- the last 3-4 threads need a chain whip.

But only once.

witcombusa
06-29-2014, 02:25 PM
Your cog will be tight enough to do a track stand on the track without any problem. You don't want to be using the lockring to stop with. And at the track you are changing cogs all the time; you'll just not change gears when you need to if you're having to mess with a lockring all the time.

That may or may not be good advice on the track but for road use I would never forgo the lockring.

06-29-2014, 05:42 PM
That may or may not be good advice on the track but for road use I would never forgo the lockring.

I did say specifically that if someone was riding fixed without brakes, they should definitely stick with the lockring.

06-29-2014, 05:47 PM
But only once.

If I only rode EAI cogs, or only rode Dura Ace or Suntour, I'd agree. I happen to ride a mix of Superbe Pro and EAI Gold Medal. They have different threads. If I am careful, I usually keep the Superbe Pro cogs on certain wheels and EAI cogs on others. But when I'm racing, sometimes I have to work with what I have, plus when riders borrow or share cogs, there are additional issues. It's not a perfect world.

In the track world it's generally understood that one doesn't mix cog threadings except in an emergency. I'm just conveying that point here.