PDA

View Full Version : Campag rear derailleur question

rwsaunders
06-28-2014, 04:15 PM
Question...I went to clean my chain last night and when I went to shift the rear derailleur, it didn't move. I know that the cable was active as you could see it go slack and tighten when shifting, but the derailleur just sat there.

The bike was in the stand, but with internal cable routing, the cable wasn't being clamped. When I rode the bike in the driveway, eventually I was able to shift, albeit it took awhile to run the full cassette. I oiled every part in the derailleur and today on my regular 35 mile loop, no issues.

Any ideas oh wise ones? FYI...mix of Record/Chorus 10 speed.

Thanks

madencbm
06-28-2014, 05:51 PM
When in smallest cog, cable should be taut not slack. Der. doesn't move because at first you are pulling slack out.

Ralph
06-28-2014, 06:23 PM
Rust, sweat, dirt, grime.....somewhere. If housing and cables OK....no worn cables....worn housing, check BB cable guide.

rwsaunders
06-29-2014, 09:02 PM
The cables only have been used for a 1,000 miles or so and I did lube the cable at the bb guide the other day as Ralph suggested. Who knows as it was fine on today's ride. Thanks for the notes...maybe it was just a ghost in the machine.

thwart
06-29-2014, 09:40 PM
I've had sport drink gunk up the cable guide under the BB; decent chance that's it… or the ghost...

earlfoss
06-29-2014, 09:50 PM
+1 on the sport drink. My Madone had a decent amount of sugary stuff from the bottle get on the bottom of the BB and gummed up my cable guides pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk