PDA

View Full Version : What do you drink on your rides?

Hysbrian
02-22-2006, 03:32 PM
So many options...what do you go for?

saab2000
02-22-2006, 03:36 PM
Cytomax

Fixed
02-22-2006, 03:38 PM
bro I use half gator aid half water mixed for fixed
it's cheap and at every store .cheers :beer:
my friend the doc. drinks doc pepper or mr. pip some kind of soft drink with a lot of caffine oh yeah it's mt. dew

coylifut
02-22-2006, 03:48 PM
I rarely drink anything other than water. While racing, I do carry one bottle of Gatoraide, but take most of my carbs via gels and fake food. While training, only water and real food.

I've been meaning to try out the Gookinaid Hydralyte. Any one around here use it?

davids
02-22-2006, 03:50 PM
Water, unless it's really hot (over 80 or so?) Then, I drink what fixed is having - 1/2 water, 1/2 Gatorade.

Not really much of an issue here right now...

93legendti
02-22-2006, 04:08 PM
Water and a Cliff Shot every hour or so, depending intensity and length of the ride. If I need it at a rest stop, a Coke is a huge "pick me up".

fiamme red
02-22-2006, 04:14 PM
LANCE™ Kool-Aid!

terry b
02-22-2006, 04:14 PM
water, water and more water.

that strategy has yet to fail me.

Ozz
02-22-2006, 04:18 PM
Less than 3 hours....water, some food, maybe some coffee if I take a break.

Longer rides, I will drink gatorade or a mix of gatoraid and water. Cheap and readily available. Food of choice is Clif Bars and regular food. I've tried the occasional energy gel...I can take them or leave them.

FWIW - I am bummed the discontinued the "Lemon Ice" flavor...very tasty, and CLEAR!

zank
02-22-2006, 04:19 PM
Water until the extra pounds come off. On long rides, I make my own cocktail of straight maltodextrin and a bit of Gatorade powder for flavor. The malto rocks in the heat of the summer. No flavor or sweetenss at all, which goes easy on my stomach and taste buds on the 80+ degree days.

slowgoing
02-22-2006, 05:11 PM
drink: water, gatorade, cytomax, oj, soft drinks, frappaccino, depends on length of the ride. Whatever it takes to keep a drink or three down an hour.

eat: anything but cliff bars. Yuck! The apple flavored gels that taste like apple pie filling rock.

Ozz
02-22-2006, 05:20 PM
...eat: anything but cliff bars. Yuck!....
It's a cookie!! What's not to like? Chocolate Almond with a nonfat latte...yum ;)

dirtdigger88
02-22-2006, 05:48 PM
herbal tea-

beats water all to h*ll

Jason

Bud
02-22-2006, 05:56 PM
1 bottle of water, 1 bottle of cytomax. On long, desolate, hot rides in the summer I'll wear a Camelback full of water too.

scienceguy08
02-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Guinness is good for you :beer:

bcm119
02-22-2006, 06:12 PM
Water on weekday training rides, on longer weekend rides or races Gu2O. I've used cytomax before but I find the stuff with more salt works better, thus the gu2o.

Ginger
02-22-2006, 06:12 PM
Ya know...you take a carrot cake cliff bar and top it with vanilla gu and you have yourself an impromptu carrot cake...it isn't bad at all if you're hungry.

Water. Weak gatorade in the second bottle if it's a long ride.

Fixed
02-22-2006, 06:16 PM
bro 16 years ago when I started out as a bike mess I'd drink recycle bong water baby came bong went .cheers

spiderlake
02-22-2006, 07:17 PM
This is a fairly recent development for me but I started mixing in endurolytes powder in with my water. No more cramps. I also started using HEED in the late fall and really like it. Not too sweet like other sports drinks.

I bought a big jug of Sustained Energy but haven't used it yet.

I think I'm addicted to recoverite. Weird, huh?

Before joining this forum, my answer would have been gatorade and water. I'm willing to chalk it up to placebo effect but I swear I ride better when I can drink HEED and pop in a few scoops of endurolytes.

Darrin

bironi
02-22-2006, 07:18 PM
Fixed,

I put Bali Hai in my first bottle, and chased it with Boonesberry Farm in the second, but I may be a little older than you.

Grant McLean
02-22-2006, 07:27 PM
Ok, but what BRAND of water?

Only made in the USA, hand filtered non contracted or outsourced?
If it matters where your bike is made, does it matter what kind
of water is in your bottle?

(Rhetorical questions, all)

-g

gone
02-22-2006, 08:03 PM
Less than 40 miles: water
More than 40 miles but less than 60: HEED
More than 60: 50% HEED 50% Sustained Energy

I used to use Cytomax but it's just too sweet for me. By the middle of the second bottle I'm ready to urp and for a long ride on a hot day, by the time I'm finished I feel like I can't force another drink down.

For several 100+ days in a row, the occasional V8 or Tomato Juice really goes down good.

Once year after riding 8 100+ mile days in a row I had been doing a pretty job of eating "decent" food but 75 miles into the last days ride I felt like if I had another gu or "healthy" food I'd vomit. I went into a gas station and got a piece of pizza that had probably been under the heat lamp for 6 months - ambrosia!

csm
02-22-2006, 08:09 PM
guiness when off roading.
fiji water run through a charcoal filter and tinted every so lightly bebe blue on the road.

Homsie
02-22-2006, 08:37 PM
On short rides, I usually just drink water, but on longer rides with significant climbing, I will usually use Acclerade in one bottle and double strength Sustained Energy in my second bottle. The sustained energy really helps me on longer rides because I am rarely able to get enough other food down (bars/gels/etc). Double strength is supposed to have about 700 calories.......

James

JohnS
02-22-2006, 08:50 PM
Diluted powdered Gatorade...Fierce Grape if possible.

toaster
02-22-2006, 08:53 PM
At first, when I began riding, it was plain water, then I started cutting Gatorade in half because I mistakenly thought it was too much sugar. Now, after lots of reading abstracts and texts on sports drinks and hypotonic sugar consumption and gastric emptying, I'm of the opinion that a replenishment rate of 20-24 oz. (minimum) of a sports drinks containing 125 to 150 calories per hour is better than zero calorie water. Eating another 100 calories per hour is good on long rides lasting more than 90 minutes.

What's great is that you can have some water or different kinds of food instead of your usual sports drink and sports bars or gels if you stay within calorie guidelines.

Most commercial sports drinks are hyped more than necessary in order to sell to the consumer. Sugar is sugar, basically and a mixture of foods and different types of carbohydrates will change glycemic indexes enough to cause the scientific blends of super carbohydrate formulas to be a non-issue.

I buy Gatorade powder in bulk due to cost and convenience. I even use Tang powder and mix to the same calorie content as ordinary Gatorade and save even more $$.

Mostly, a sports drink tastes better than water and encourages you to drink more often and hydrate a little bit better.

Some folks will continue to use only water, and that's fine as long as they drink enough to stay hydrated and at least eat something before, during and after riding.

manet
02-22-2006, 09:23 PM
Ok, but what BRAND of water?

Only made in the USA, hand filtered non contracted or outsourced?
If it matters where your bike is made, does it matter what kind
of water is in your bottle?

(Rhetorical questions, all)

-g

http://www.sicilianculture.com/bar/lurisia.jpg

Samster
02-22-2006, 10:08 PM
i drink epo.

Louis
02-22-2006, 10:12 PM
Less than 2 hours: Water
More than 2 hours: Cytomax

Either way, I'm slow. Either way, the long rides still hurt...

Needs Help
02-23-2006, 12:22 AM
Anything over an hour: Hammer HEED, otherwise water. If I drink four or five bottles of Gatorade, I'm ready to puke--it's way too sweet.

ericspin
02-23-2006, 03:21 AM
I am a big Hammer fan. Perpeteum is my energy drink. Natural ingredients and real easy on the stomach. And lots of water, but not so much that I wash away all the electrolytes.

To second some others I have become a huge fan of Hammer's Endurolytes. Now all my buddies are hooked on them. No cramps and more importantly for me no back spasms.

Water - cannot beat Penta in my book.

William
02-23-2006, 04:41 AM
Water. Almost always plain water.

Occasional 50/50 water and gatoraid/juice/carbo fuel on really hot, humid days.

And, a Guinnes at the end of a ride is simply BRILLIANT!!! ;)

I've never had a problem with cramping or anything else. The only time I've ever really become dehydrated and started seeing colors was racing in 100+ temps at the Mt. Tabor series. I still won it but man was I seeing some pretty colors. :bike:

William

Dr. Doofus
02-23-2006, 05:41 AM
training: water

if its hot, put electrolytes in it...mmmm...taste like salty chalk

races: cytomax

Kevan
02-23-2006, 07:23 AM
Hey, I get'm for free.

God awful stuff too I will add.

Hmm... the household's grey water could be considered free too I suppose. I'll test it out on my pal Mikemets.

davep
02-23-2006, 09:58 AM
I drink water, and take Endurolytes tablets on rides longer than 2 hours. For calories I use Sustained Energy, supplmented by energy bars and real food.

Jeff N.
02-23-2006, 11:26 AM
Gatorade and/or H2O. Jeff N.

OldDog
02-23-2006, 02:29 PM
It's a Lovely day for a Guinness!

Mikej
02-23-2006, 02:33 PM
Under "disguise"

Hysbrian
02-23-2006, 02:43 PM
for those who use...this is the "tasteless" one right?
I bet its more like dinking paste, no?

djg
02-23-2006, 02:45 PM
The bottle on the downtube gets Laphroig. The bottle on the seat tube gets kaopectate. I always wear a helmet and I always wear bibs.

Mostly water. Sometimes 50% water, 50% gatorade.

Homsie
02-23-2006, 03:53 PM
for those who use...this is the "tasteless" one right?
I bet its more like dinking paste, no?

It's not tasteless, but there isn't really any attempt to make it flavored like Acclerade, Cytomax, etc. To me, it tastes sort of like very diluted milk.....and I mix mine double strength (6 scoops per large bottle).

James

William
02-24-2006, 05:14 AM
;)

Too Tall
02-24-2006, 06:44 AM
Heed, SE.

CSM - why go to all that trouble?