PDA

View Full Version : bro is it better to sit in and wait or to be aggressive

Fixed
02-22-2006, 02:49 PM
bro I rode with josh and spencer smith today and some other dudes .I notice all the bros seem like they are scared to go mix it up with these cats josh and spencer are takin all the pulls . I don't know spencer but josh is cool I want help him so i go mix it up with them for as long as i can . the other bros when they pull through if they pulled did like 2 sec. pulls I even led josh out for the 1st sprint which he won he told me i did a good job .once I looked over at spencer and he gave me a big smile I didn't know if like me forcin the pace or thought I crazy mixin it up with the big fish I could tell he was working though .so if your blowup who cares but i bet you got more gas in the thank than you think .or is it better ride in the back miss turns and just hang on cos your riding with some big guns ? cheers :beer:

Dr. Doofus
02-22-2006, 03:02 PM
.so if your blowup who cares but i bet you got more gas in the thank than you think .or is it better ride in the back miss turns and just hang on cos your riding with some big guns ? cheers :beer:

in yes and no

all things subsist;

so:

yes,

and

no

bostondrunk
02-22-2006, 03:07 PM
Sit in bro imho cheers
unless your goal is to kill yourself for others imho cheers imho

dif damn doof!

Ti Designs
02-22-2006, 03:12 PM
It's best to control the pace. Be aggressive when there's a point to it, sit in when you need to. Figure out how your pulls or your position will change the speed of the group and use it to your advantage.

Example(s): The game of "drop the tri-guy". There are always people who do nothing but work on sustained wattage. They tend to get to the front and try to stay there. So, you put in an attack, wait for the reaction of the people who are awake, then sit in and watch the tri-guy claw his way back. When he gets there, do the same thing again. By this time the Tri-guy is on the defensive and not thinking about sitting on the front any more. You have the option, attack a third time and work the group so he doens't get back on, or just sit in and watch.

The "shark ride". I call it the shark ride becuse there are 4 or 5 guys with serious horsepower, the rest are fish. When the sharks are hanging out in the back you can relax. When all the sharks move to the front you need to be there. When things start to move the sharks tend to ignore the fish and key off other sharks, so you need to look strong, even if it's a poker game. The key is to take shorter pulls, but make 'em intense. It'll make the pace pick up, but if you're sitting in 90% of the time that's probably a good thing.

The lazy man's ride. This is where you lead the packfill riders to the front and strand them there. Given a narrow road or the right traffic conditions you should be able to slow a group down to a crawl.

There are a zillion ways to play it. My hat's off to you for getting in there and mixing it up with the big guns.

Fixed
02-22-2006, 03:15 PM
bro ti it was fun cheers

Fixed
02-22-2006, 05:29 PM
[QUOTE=Ti DesignsThe "shark ride". I call it the shark ride becuse there are 4 or 5 guys with serious horsepower, the rest are fish. When the sharks are hanging out in the back you can relax. When all the sharks move to the front you need to be there. When things start to move the sharks tend to ignore the fish and key off other sharks, so you need to look strong, even if it's a poker game. The key is to take shorter pulls, but make 'em intense. It'll make the pace pick up, but if you're sitting in 90% of the time that's probably a good thing.

bro that is some good stuff ...i.m.h.o. cheers :beer:

andy mac
02-22-2006, 06:12 PM
fixed, depends what you're trying to achieve???

:beer:

Fixed
02-22-2006, 06:27 PM
bro i guess now that I had a few hours to think about it .I wanted to prove to my bros that I'm better than my race performance sat said. I 'm thinking i got to crank it up a notch . I don't like thinking people are better than me biking puts me on equal ground .cheers. :beer:

inthegutter
02-22-2006, 06:41 PM
don't get all worked up in the 'thinking' aspect... that's not what wins races.

Hysbrian
02-22-2006, 06:51 PM

I thought that "thinking" was what wins races.

fstrthnu
02-22-2006, 07:00 PM

appropriate name bro! :)

IMHO Bro's

Fstrthnu

inthegutter
02-22-2006, 07:04 PM
I thought that "thinking" was what wins races.

That's what I thought too before I was enlightened by the board. :rolleyes:

spiderlake
02-22-2006, 07:08 PM
awesome analogies! The "drop the tri guy" had me in stitches. I'm the guy that is easily dropped but there are more than a few tri guys that I know that fit your mold perfectly. I'm not going to drop anyone on the road (mountain, perhaps) but I'll do my best to hang in for as long as possible.

Fixed - hat's off, bro! Love to hear your ride reports!

Darrin

It's best to control the pace. Be aggressive when there's a point to it, sit in when you need to. Figure out how your pulls or your position will change the speed of the group and use it to your advantage.

Example(s): The game of "drop the tri-guy". There are always people who do nothing but work on sustained wattage. They tend to get to the front and try to stay there. So, you put in an attack, wait for the reaction of the people who are awake, then sit in and watch the tri-guy claw his way back. When he gets there, do the same thing again. By this time the Tri-guy is on the defensive and not thinking about sitting on the front any more. You have the option, attack a third time and work the group so he doens't get back on, or just sit in and watch.

The "shark ride". I call it the shark ride becuse there are 4 or 5 guys with serious horsepower, the rest are fish. When the sharks are hanging out in the back you can relax. When all the sharks move to the front you need to be there. When things start to move the sharks tend to ignore the fish and key off other sharks, so you need to look strong, even if it's a poker game. The key is to take shorter pulls, but make 'em intense. It'll make the pace pick up, but if you're sitting in 90% of the time that's probably a good thing.

The lazy man's ride. This is where you lead the packfill riders to the front and strand them there. Given a narrow road or the right traffic conditions you should be able to slow a group down to a crawl.

There are a zillion ways to play it. My hat's off to you for getting in there and mixing it up with the big guns.

stevep
02-22-2006, 07:10 PM
its key if you intend to race to make the race your race... not the ride w/ the pros. a lot of guys' race is this tuesday night ride... these guys never get much in the real races.
remember a training ride is just a training ride.
sit in until you are sure that you are in the range that you can handle...and then stick your nose out there some...make it more fun.

nm87710
02-22-2006, 07:23 PM
racing: 50% mental, 50% physical. you win races more with your head than legs. race smart - hard when it can make a difference and easy when it doesn't. always ask yourself "why am I here" (i.e. sticking your nose in the wind on the front, in a break, sitting in, attacking, up front prior to xwind, etc.) the answer should always be because it creates an advantage for me or my team.

training: depends on training goals/plans. go easy if it's an easy day or hard if a hard day - regardless of "group think". most of my training is solo to do what's right for me. selfish but it works. imo the biggest training opportunity for most C3-5 riders is to stick to a training plan and not just ride "hard" every time out. way to many get caught up in testosterone fest group rides where they want to ride up front as the lead/alpha dog. usually they're otb when the going gets tough. all that being said there is a place for competitive rivalry on some training rides - city limit sprints, attacks, break aways, etc. if it's part of your training plan.

just my $.02