PDA

View Full Version : De-levering a Campy Escape ergo

mccx
06-27-2014, 05:33 PM
I have a Centaur QS lever with a broken shift lever. Is it possible to take the finger and thumb levers out of a QS lever to convert it to brake-only?
I've done this with a non-QS lever, but on the QS lever there doesn't seem to be a way to pop the shifter lever out or open the body to detach the thumb lever like with a non-QS lever.
Thanks!

thirdgenbird
06-27-2014, 06:00 PM
Are you talking about escape?

QS ergo levers only changed the front cable pull. Parts are interchangeable.

I've seen bare Escape levers, actually, there is/was a set for sale here.

mccx
06-28-2014, 01:22 AM
Yep, meant Escape, not QS. Sorry.

I did see those Mirage brake levers and am considering them, but would do my own broken one if possible. So far as I know Mirage was always Escape, so that makes it possible...

oldpotatoe
06-28-2014, 06:40 AM
I have a Centaur QS lever with a broken shift lever. Is it possible to take the finger and thumb levers out of a QS lever to convert it to brake-only?
I've done this with a non-QS lever, but on the QS lever there doesn't seem to be a way to pop the shifter lever out or open the body to detach the thumb lever like with a non-QS lever.
Thanks!

Sure.take the brake lever off..pin, use small punch..take back guts out with small 3mm allen.., small 3mm allen holding front shifter on, take thru shaft out, take shift lever off. Put brake lever back on.

Page 57 of this..see 2 small 3mm allen bolts..stuff outta back, stuff outa front..easy.

pbarry
06-28-2014, 10:07 AM
Yep, meant Escape, not QS. Sorry.

I did see those Mirage brake levers and am considering them, but would do my own broken one if possible. So far as I know Mirage was always Escape, so that makes it possible...

Mirage and Xenon had serviceable innards pre-10 speed, when they went to Escape.

keevon
06-28-2014, 08:59 PM
I've done this with Escape levers. It's easy enough to remove the big shift paddle and shifter guts, but the thumb shifter is integral to the shifter body. Looked like you would need a Dremel to cut it out.

Ultimately I left the thumb shifters on, which didn't move or rattle at all. Plus it was nice to rest my thumbs there from time to time.