PDA

View Full Version : Fixed v. floating cleats

LegendRider
02-22-2006, 11:16 AM
The latest issue of CycleSport has a picture of the Milram team (p. 100). You can see the cleats on 11 riders' shoes - 7 are fixed and 4 are floating Shimano DA. I had a feeling pros were more apt to use fixed, but I wonder if this is representative? I moved to fixed last season, and, so far, I've been happy (feels like 100% power transmission and no knee problems).

Catulle
02-22-2006, 11:40 AM
The latest isse of CycleSport has a picture of the Milram team (p. 100). You can see the cleats on 11 riders' shoes - 7 are fixed and 4 are floating Shimano DA. I had a feeling pros were more apt to use fixed, but I wonder if this is representative? I moved to fixed last season, and, so far, I've been happy (feels like 100% power transmission and no knee problems).

Please excuse my ignorance, but what´s the difference between fixed and floating cleats? Thank you.

yeehawfactor
02-22-2006, 11:46 AM
Please excuse my ignorance, but what´s the difference between fixed and floating cleats? Thank you.
if you think of if while your shoe is in the pedal, a floating cleat allows for your foot to rotate without releasing from the pedal. try it on your bike-you can probably move your heel a bit to the outside as well as the inside without disingaging. this is easier on some people's kneees.

Catulle
02-22-2006, 03:25 PM
if you think of if while your shoe is in the pedal, a floating cleat allows for your foot to rotate without releasing from the pedal. try it on your bike-you can probably move your heel a bit to the outside as well as the inside without disingaging. this is easier on some people's kneees.

Thank you...!!!