PDA

View Full Version : Why is it?

lovethesport
06-27-2014, 08:28 AM
I'm sure a lot has already been posted about the reason behind violence against cyclist...but it's apparent not only the anger but the outright rage has not abated. I know we certainly are not innocent but to have the resulting rampage recently in Atlanta is not fathomable. Any thoughts other than not running thru stop signs, etc?

lovethesport
06-30-2014, 02:20 PM
Well... this has certainly been enlightening.

MattTuck
06-30-2014, 02:35 PM
The two most compelling reasons that I've heard are:

1.) In-group bias: The basic idea that there are two sets of rules for how you can treat people. One set for the in-group (people like you) and one set for everyone else. You can be in several different in groups, for instance: your family, your alma mater, your employer, etc. Anything that unites you can lead to the perception that you're in an in group. Hitler murdered thousands upon thousands of souls utilizing the psychology of in vs. out group.

2.) Private vs. public space: I wish I had the link to the radio program (I may have even posted it or discussed it here in the past) that detailed this idea. The concept is simple, roads are public spaces and there are certain things that happen in the normal course of being in a public space that a reasonable person would not react to. But, a car is a private space, and is often strongly identified by a driver as their own space. So when something happens in the public space (say, a cyclist is riding up ahead and you need to slow down) but you view it through the lens of your private space, the result can be a perception of disrespect or insult.

Edit: Here's a link to story about a related phenomenon. Link. (http://www.nature.com/news/2008/080613/full/news.2008.889.html)

Territorial disputes

“The number of territory markers predicted road rage better than vehicle value, condition or any of the things that we normally associate with aggressive driving,” say Szlemko. What's more, only the number of bumper stickers, and not their content, predicted road rage — so "Jesus saves" may be just as worrying to fellow drivers as "Don't mess with Texas".

Szlemko admits that he is not entirely surprised by the results. “We have to remember that humans are animals too," he says. "It's unrealistic to believe that we should not be territorial.”

Precious little research has previously attempted to explore drivers' territorial feelings about their cars, says psychologist Graham Fraine at Queensland University's Transport Policy Office in Australia. “This work clearly demonstrates that people will actively defend a space or territory that they feel attached to and have personalized with markers,” Fraine says.

Szlemko suggests that this territoriality may encourage road rage because drivers are simultaneously in a private space (their car) and a public one (the road). “We think they are forgetting that the public road is not theirs, and are exhibiting territorial behaviour that normally would only be acceptable in personal space,” he says.

lovethesport
07-01-2014, 10:58 AM
MattTuck.... thank you! Very interesting concept and one that everyone of
us should recognize as an issue to be understood.

Ahneida Ride
07-01-2014, 11:18 AM
I also postulate they the outfits we wear make us resemble prey and
not fellow human beings.

Since I've started riding in cotton shorts and a t shirt, I've noticed
less interaction with drivers.

cfox
07-01-2014, 11:41 AM
I think in general, drivers hate other drivers as much or more than cyclists. It is typical of the self absorbed cyclist to single themselves out as special. As a cyclist, you are not the sole recipient of road rage. The same person who screams at a cyclist likely spends more time screaming at other drivers. Driving is stressful and annoying to a lot of people. It can turn seemingly normal, patient people into raging lunatics. Also, despite the belief of some cyclists, most people really don't want to kill you, and they might react in anger at being startled by a cyclist they didn't see until the last second (we are harder to see than another car).

kramnnim
07-01-2014, 11:50 AM
I've noticed a lot of people complaining that we don't pay for using the road via license plate registration, etc, and thus don't deserve to be on it. :confused:

jmoore
07-01-2014, 12:53 PM
Cyclists don't wave enough. Esp. the ones wearing Rapha gear. And all cyclists are jerks.

Mark McM
07-01-2014, 12:57 PM
I've noticed a lot of people complaining that we don't pay for using the road via license plate registration, etc, and thus don't deserve to be on it. :confused:

Personally I like this argument. Why? Because in most areas, road construction/maintenance funding comes mainly out of the general fund, and only a portion is paid by registration fees/gas taxes/ etc. Everyone pays into the general fund, whether they drive or not, but motorists create the largest amount of wear and tear on the roads, thus using up more of the road maintenance costs than non-motorists.

So the argument should be, until motorists pay their full share of the roads, they should stay out of the way of cyclists.

Dead Man
07-01-2014, 01:07 PM
Personally I like this argument. Why? Because in most areas, road construction/maintenance funding comes mainly out of the general fund, and only a portion is paid by registration fees/gas taxes/ etc. Everyone pays into the general fund, whether they drive or not, but motorists create the largest amount of wear and tear on the roads, thus using up more of the road maintenance costs than non-motorists.

So the argument should be, until motorists pay their full share of the roads, they should stay out of the way of cyclists.

You'll just be told "most road funds come from gas taxes, and you don't buy gas."

Which is untrue, but irrational bicyclist haters aren't actually that interested in facts.

MattTuck
07-01-2014, 01:12 PM

I think that this kind of reasoned (if wrong) thought process is beyond what most people are willing to do to arrive at a conclusion. More likely, they harbor the belief (cyclists should get out of my way!) and search for a justification (even if it is wrong).