PDA

View Full Version : Mavic Ksyrium rim wear

farmallguy
06-26-2014, 02:38 PM
I am riding 2008 Ksyrium Elites and am wondering how worn the rims are? They don't have the indicator groove that the newer ones have. Is there a minimum measurement of the rim width available? I didn't see anything on Mavics website. Any ideas?

Thanks

Jack

Pete Mckeon
06-26-2014, 04:05 PM
Look for cracks around eyelits and have you had rear hub lubed after a few year?

Type weather, miles, your weight if over 200 , and terrain. They all factor in to longevity.

Lube of rear cassette is highly recommended if you ride over 3k per year and some in rain. Maybe Mavic via a dealer can make good as new for $$.

Use, model, your weight and riding style all affect wear :bike:

I am riding 2008 Ksyrium Elites and am wondering how worn the rims are? They don't have the indicator groove that the newer ones have. Is there a minimum measurement of the rim width available? I didn't see anything on Mavics website. Any ideas?

Thanks

Jack

Dead Man
06-26-2014, 04:09 PM

Thanks

Jack

Maybe the wear indicator is worn off

farmallguy
06-26-2014, 05:25 PM
I am only concerned with brake wear on the rims nothing With the hubs. there never was an indicator groove on the rIm in the breaking surface area so it is not worn down that far I hope.

cmbicycles
06-26-2014, 07:59 PM
Maybe the wear indicator is worn off
You can just drill a new one ;)

DAG
06-26-2014, 09:46 PM
Feel it. If you can feel a definite concavity to the rim profile, you should do some additional, more scientific testing as to remaining sidewall thickness.

Volant
06-27-2014, 12:02 AM
Feel it. If you can feel a definite concavity to the rim profile, you should do some additional, more scientific testing as to remaining sidewall thickness.

Run the edge of a cc along brake surface to help see concavity. You can always mic-it if you have a micrometer if you think it's thin.

Also, how often have you changed your brake pads? Is there debris in your pads that would accelerate wear? If the answers are never and none, your rims are probably in fine shape.

nate2351
06-27-2014, 12:09 AM
The bad news here is that Mavic will certainly not have that rim. 2008 might as well be the turn of the century for the bike industry.

I would say that even if they are worn out, to get 6 years out of set of wheel is good value.

farmallguy
06-27-2014, 06:24 AM
You can always mic-it if you have a micrometer if you think it's thin.

Exactly, now we're getting somewhere. I want to mic the rim width, but unless I have a minimum measurement to compare it with it means nothing. Has anyone seen this measurement?

Mike Cotty
07-01-2014, 08:52 AM
Exactly, now we're getting somewhere. I want to mic the rim width, but unless I have a minimum measurement to compare it with it means nothing. Has anyone seen this measurement?

Hi Jack,

You can check with a depth gauge to see how much the rim is worn on each side. It should not be more than 0.4mm. Ride safe!

Mike