PDA

View Full Version : HED Belgium C2 black - anodized?

Veloo
06-26-2014, 09:17 AM
Are the HED Belgium C2 rims anodized?
Wondering if I'd be able to remove the black using the oven cleaner method and then polish them up to a nice shine.

Why? Just becuz...

macaroon
06-26-2014, 09:22 AM
I think the hplusson archetype rims are similar and are available in a polished finish....

eippo1
06-26-2014, 09:40 AM
I have a pair and I really don't think they are anodized. I think they are coated w/ the black. It's just way too black than I've ever seen acheived with anodizing.

macaroon
06-26-2014, 09:46 AM
If the brake track is black aswell, then they will be anodized. They wouldnt make them with a painted brake track I dont think.

donevwil
06-26-2014, 12:09 PM
C2s are anodized. Those for discs (black brake tracks) are simply not machined post-anodize. The question I can't answer is if they are standard (decorative) or hard anodized. You won't want to try and remove hard ano.

bluesea
06-26-2014, 12:26 PM
Does hard ano come in black? The darkest I've seen were the Open Pro CD, which was a nice dark gray. Much more appealing than the Archetype.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/534/dsc00531dn.jpg

oldpotatoe
06-26-2014, 02:22 PM
C2s are anodized. Those for discs (black brake tracks) are simply not machined post-anodize. The question I can't answer is if they are standard (decorative) or hard anodized. You won't want to try and remove hard ano.

'Hard' anodizing is not anodizing for color. Hard anodizing makes the metal actually stiffer/stronger. And is a kinda greenish color. No hard anodized rims that are black.

donevwil
06-26-2014, 02:42 PM
'Hard' anodizing is not anodizing for color. Hard anodizing makes the metal actually stiffer/stronger. And is a kinda greenish color. No hard anodized rims that are black.

Pigment can be added to hard ano. just as it is with "decorative" ano. The resultant colors are almost always dull, irregular and inconsistent so typically only un-pigmented and black are common. Although I'm unaware which rim makers use black pigmented hard ano, the finish on my Ardennes appears almost identical to the black hard ano. parts I source at work.

mistermo
06-26-2014, 03:24 PM
I think the hplusson archetype rims are similar and are available in a polished finish....

I know you specifically asked about C2's, but this ^^ is the ticket. I've got both C2s and Archetypes and am unable to discern any difference. The polished archetypes are simply beautiful and certainly better than anything a layperson could do with oven cleaner on a C2.

spartanKid
06-26-2014, 10:53 PM
Does hard ano come in black? The darkest I've seen were the Open Pro CD, which was a nice dark gray. Much more appealing than the Archetype.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/534/dsc00531dn.jpg

I've got some archetypes in hard ano grey. They're out there.

bluesea
06-26-2014, 11:09 PM
I've got some archetypes in hard ano grey. They're out there.

Same here. Was put off a bit seeing the greenish tint old potatoe mentioned, but oh well.

spartanKid
06-26-2014, 11:14 PM
Same here. Was put off a bit seeing the greenish tint old potatoe mentioned, but oh well.

I actually didn't notice it until reading that comment. Now I can't NOT see it! :eek:

Mark McM
06-27-2014, 10:02 AM
'Hard' anodizing is not anodizing for color. Hard anodizing makes the metal actually stiffer/stronger.

Nope. Even with hard anodizing, the anodize layer is too thin to change the gross material properties like strength or stiffness.

Hard anodizing produces a hard (but brittle) surface, which is less prone to scratching and wear. However, hard anodizing is completely inappropriate for any part that is subject to fatigue. Any anodize layer is more brittle than the underlying aluminum, and is prone to crazing (micro-cracks) if the metal is flexed. Since hard anodizing is thicker layer, it creates deeper micro-cracks, and these cracks are more prone to propagating through the base metal under cycling loading.

Mavic was one of the companies that pushed hard anodized rims the strongest, even through these rims were more prone to cracking. If a rim cracked and customer complained, Mavic generally denied a warranty, making some excuse like, "the spoke tension was too high", or some other unsubstantiated claim blaming the builder or user. However, it really telling to note that when Mavic started making pre-built wheels, and therefore could no longer blame the builder for cracked rims, they never produced a pre-built wheel with a hard anodized rim.

oldpotatoe
06-27-2014, 10:27 AM
Nope. Even with hard anodizing, the anodize layer is too thin to change the gross material properties like strength or stiffness.

Hard anodizing produces a hard (but brittle) surface, which is less prone to scratching and wear. However, hard anodizing is completely inappropriate for any part that is subject to fatigue. Any anodize layer is more brittle than the underlying aluminum, and is prone to crazing (micro-cracks) if the metal is flexed. Since hard anodizing is thicker layer, it creates deeper micro-cracks, and these cracks are more prone to propagating through the base metal under cycling loading.

Mavic was one of the companies that pushed hard anodized rims the strongest, even through these rims were more prone to cracking. If a rim cracked and customer complained, Mavic generally denied a warranty, making some excuse like, "the spoke tension was too high", or some other unsubstantiated claim blaming the builder or user. However, it really telling to note that when Mavic started making pre-built wheels, and therefore could no longer blame the builder for cracked rims, they never produced a pre-built wheel with a hard anodized rim.

Yep, particularly on their eyeleted rims, when installing them led to micro cracks which let to eyelets pulling out. My wrong choice of words but any wheel builder knows hard anodized rims aren't the best choice but 'hard anodizing' and anodizing for color isn't the same thing.