PDA

View Full Version : OT: World Cup - how the US can advance to the next round

Louis
06-25-2014, 11:52 PM
More permutations than you ever thought possible:

NYT interactive info (http://nyti.ms/TyNMPJ)

Saguaro
06-26-2014, 12:09 AM
I'll be watching the game with my 15 year old son and his 11 year old buddy in the morning. We just need a tie. Go USA!

Louis
06-26-2014, 12:14 AM
I'll be amazed if we can tie Germany. But Ghana almost beat them, so you never know...

rustychisel
06-26-2014, 12:42 AM
excellent graphic, assuming a maximum goal differential of 5-0.

Silly thing is I'm not sure any of those teams deserve to go home.

jr59
06-26-2014, 04:52 AM
excellent graphic, assuming a maximum goal differential of 5-0.

Silly thing is I'm not sure any of those teams deserve to go home.

thats why it's called the group of death

bingomck
06-26-2014, 08:34 AM
Today is the DAY.

druptight
06-26-2014, 08:45 AM
So basically, if we don't win or tie, we really don't want Ghana to win. In the event that Ghana loses as long as the games aren't blow outs, we should be through.

bobswire
06-26-2014, 08:54 AM
I'll be watching the game with my 15 year old son and his 11 year old buddy in the morning. We just need a tie. Go USA!

Cool, I'll be watching with my 73 year old brother (for luck). When we get together for major sporting events like Giants playing in the World Series or 49ers in the playoffs and Super Bowl our teams won, when we watched separately our teams lost. We want to make sure the US team advances! :banana:

BobC
06-26-2014, 08:54 AM
Ghana just booted Muntari & Boateng off the team. Stunning.

I think that match just got a whole lot more interesting.

eippo1
06-26-2014, 09:14 AM
wow, both the games are on at the same time? Crazy. And that is stunning about Ghana. It's a shock to lose those players, but what a state to put the rest of the team into just before the game.

Will be interesting to see if Russia can beat Algeria to advance too. Lot of pressure on that team.

Anyone know of any streaming for the games? Firstrowsports.eu?

cp43
06-26-2014, 09:52 AM
wow, both the games are on at the same time? Crazy. And that is stunning about Ghana. It's a shock to lose those players, but what a state to put the rest of the team into just before the game.

Will be interesting to see if Russia can beat Algeria to advance too. Lot of pressure on that team.

The final group games are always at the same time, because of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Germany_1%E2%80%930_Austria

Chris

eippo1
06-26-2014, 10:28 AM
The final group games are always at the same time, because of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Germany_1%E2%80%930_Austria

Chris

Well that would make sense. Thanks.

oldpotatoe
06-26-2014, 11:49 AM
Cool, I'll be watching with my 73 year old brother (for luck). When we get together for major sporting events like Giants playing in the World Series or 49ers in the playoffs and Super Bowl our teams won, when we watched separately our teams lost. We want to make sure the US team advances! :banana:

How about Lincecum!!! Like that kid. Rockies need to unload Gonzalez and buy Lincecum....only about $17.5 million per year.....

vqdriver
06-26-2014, 12:10 PM

that's a way cool site. real time status too.

Dired
06-26-2014, 12:55 PM

very cool, thanks

ctcyclistbob
06-26-2014, 01:43 PM
The US has advanced into the next round despite losing to Germany 1-0. Had a couple scoring chances right at the end but couldn't bang it in.

Portugal won 2-1 over Ghana, sending the US on:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/27/sports/worldcup/world-cup-2014-us-germany-recife-brazil.html?_r=0

Looks like the US plays Belgium next Tuesday (is that official?).

4Rings6Stars
06-26-2014, 01:57 PM

Not that it matters for today's matches...but for the next round...you can stream the WC games on espn.com if you have a cable tv or high speed internet account. I signed in with my sister's comcast username and streamed the games while at my desk today. Quality is good too.

Louis
06-26-2014, 02:18 PM
Looks like the US plays Belgium next Tuesday (is that official?).

That's how I see it too. 2nd in Grp G play 1st in Grp H

ojingoh
06-26-2014, 02:21 PM
Not that it matters for today's matches...but for the next round...you can stream the WC games on espn.com if you have a cable tv or high speed internet account. I signed in with my sister's comcast username and streamed the games while at my desk today. Quality is good too.

Univision deportes! Work on your Spanish! They're streaming all the games for free.

buldogge
06-26-2014, 03:33 PM
Not once the 16 starts, unfortunately...

-Mark in St. Louis

Univision deportes! Work on your Spanish! They're streaming all the games for free.

tuscanyswe
06-26-2014, 03:46 PM
http://www.wiziwig.tv/index.php?part=sports

Dunno how good or bad that will work for US viewers but it helped me out every time i wanted to c a game that i could not find elsewhere in almost every sport for the last years.

bobswire
06-26-2014, 05:39 PM
Our morals are in danger...... http://www.clarionledger.com/story/opinion/columnists/2014/06/25/coulter-growing-interest-soccer-sign-nations-moral-decay/11372137/

Louis
06-26-2014, 05:43 PM
Our morals are in danger......

Makes sense to me. It is, after all, a sport that foreigners seem to enjoy, so it must be bad.

Gsinill
06-26-2014, 05:55 PM
Hilarious :)

Go figure:

"The prospect of either personal humiliation or major injury is required to count as a sport. Most sports are sublimated warfare."

Our morals are in danger...... http://www.clarionledger.com/story/opinion/columnists/2014/06/25/coulter-growing-interest-soccer-sign-nations-moral-decay/11372137/

cnighbor1
06-26-2014, 06:45 PM
OK USA advances Whom do we play next!!!!

Louis
06-26-2014, 06:52 PM
Belgium

tuscanyswe
06-26-2014, 07:22 PM
And then Argentina (if all goes well against a strong belgium) unless the Swiss pull of a small miracle that is.

Louis
06-26-2014, 07:27 PM
It would be a pleasant surprise for me if we were to beat Belgium. They're a very good team.

djg
06-27-2014, 07:51 AM

Thanks. In everyday life, I can go a year without having to see or hear an entire sentence by Ms. Coulter. But not today. The italicized little entree starts us off with idiotic nastiness of the first order. I understand that this is her gig -- hyperbolic ranting that is supposed to be funny to a certain slice of society after a drink or two -- but F that.

I stopped reading after this:

"If more "Americans" are watching soccer today, it's only because of the demographic switch effected by Teddy Kennedy's 1965 immigration law. I promise you: No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer. One can only hope that, in addition to learning English, these new Americans will drop their soccer fetish with time."

The promise is not merely hyperbole, but horse ····. And count me out, I reckon. I love watching soccer (which I still coach, at the kids' rec level). But that doesn't count, and neither do I, as I had zero great-grandfathers born in the U.S. (or even set foot in the U.S.), although my presence here in my country has nothing to do with 1965 era immigration reform. My dad came thanks to an earlier bit of legislation -- he was on the first ship carrying displaced persons to the States following the second world war. He had learnt English that year working first as a translator for US Army Intelligence and later for UNRA. I have a letter he wrote from the ship, approaching the US, and it's a pretty darn good letter -- 6th language, if ultimately his strongest. Served in the US Army. Later did some work for DoD. Had a pretty good career for a liberated slave whose world had been destroyed. No college, but a battery of exams got him into the PhD program in the Economics Department at the University of Chicago -- where he submitted a dissertation written in English, if Annie can believe it -- and he did some useful work, alternating between academia and the government.

Dad, of blessed memory, was a patriot, and pretty darn conservative -- very conservative -- but he was nobody's yahoo and nobody's idea of a racist. It's too bad he's gone, mostly because he is missed, and not a little because I wish my kids had got to know him better.

Mom -- another U of C scholarship student, but she had to start as an undergraduate. Aleha ha shalom. School teacher -- entirely fluent in English, thanks.

I dunno why this bit of idiotic rant got under my skin -- missed my morning coffee.

bingomck
06-27-2014, 08:19 AM

This Deadspin page is updated and a good reference for various streaming sites for all games: http://deadspin.com/your-ultimate-guide-to-streaming-every-world-cup-match-1588679981

I just can't wait till Bradley starts playing like his old, best US soccer player self again. I'm just hoping it's next week and not later.

Also, Altidore? Anyone know how bad the hamstring is/when he might return? Even if he was just an 80' sub when we needed some end of game offense... would be nice. Still kind of can't believe we made it through that group!

CunegoFan
06-27-2014, 08:30 AM
Thanks. In everyday life, I can go a year without having to see or hear an entire sentence by Ms. Coulter. But not today. The italicized little entree starts us off with idiotic nastiness of the first order. I understand that this is her gig -- hyperbolic ranting that is supposed to be funny to a certain slice of society after a drink or two -- but F that.

Coulter once said we should invade Muslim lands, kills their leaders, and convert the people to Christianity. She is not trying to be funny. She is serious. She's a whack job who caters to other of society's whack jobs.

goonster
06-27-2014, 09:15 AM
It would be a pleasant surprise for me if we were to beat Belgium. They're a very good team.
They may be one of the top 3 teams at the World Cup. On paper.

Iain Macintosh, at espnfc.com, had one of my favorite comments about them:

"Elsewhere, Belgium continued to grind their way through the tournament, trudging grimly on with another understated, single goal victory. If they really are a dark horse, they are a dark shirehorse, solemnly dragging a cartload of topsoil through the village at dawn, thinking only of the next nosebag and never daring to dream of what it might be like to gallop somewhere. Anywhere. Just to feel the wind in their mane."

BobC
06-27-2014, 09:38 AM

"Elsewhere, Belgium continued to grind their way through the tournament, trudging grimly on with another understated, single goal victory. If they really are a dark horse, they are a dark shirehorse, solemnly dragging a cartload of topsoil through the village at dawn, thinking only of the next nosebag and never daring to dream of what it might be like to gallop somewhere. Anywhere. Just to feel the wind in their mane."

They have tons of talent (Hazard, Mertens, Lukaku, etc.), but are young & haven't figured out how to play as a team. In my mind, they are still a darkhorse, they have the talent to beat Argentina (who are incredibly fragile in the back).

Having said all that, I think the USMNT has a very good shot to beat Belgium. Nobody wants to play the US right now. They are tough, motivated, unselfish & totally committed to what Jurgen is trying to achieve.

MattTuck
06-27-2014, 11:32 AM

hehe, that is funny.

Louis
06-27-2014, 11:58 AM
Having said all that, I think the USMNT has a very good shot to beat Belgium. Nobody wants to play the US right now. They are tough, motivated, unselfish & totally committed to what Jurgen is trying to achieve.

No sense crying over spilt milk, but boy I wish Altidore were healthy.

Louis
06-27-2014, 12:15 PM
I dunno why this bit of idiotic rant got under my skin -- missed my morning coffee.

Dan, you can't let those idiots raise your blood pressure one bit.

I take Coulter about as seriously as we took Dinesh, Laura Ingraham, and the whole Review gang thirty years ago, which is to say not seriously at all. Unfortunately, there's a significant percentage of Americans who love that stuff and actually believe it, so we're all paying the price. Even Eric Cantor, bless his soul, isn't terribly happy about them right now. (Oh wait, that can't be right - he no longer has a soul, having sold it long ago.)

Lanterne Rouge
06-27-2014, 12:42 PM
Belgium is a decent drew for the USA. I think it will be an astonishingly tedious game to watch but interesting all the same (now that I've said that it's probably going to be the game of the competition).

The teams are completely opposite. Belgium have some incredibly talented players. Man for man probably one of the best in the world but they are no team. Whereas the USA are a TEAM of average/good internationals. It's good to see that the USA now has a footballing identity.

djg
06-28-2014, 07:08 AM
Dan, you can't let those idiots raise your blood pressure one bit.

I take Coulter about as seriously as we took Dinesh, Laura Ingraham, and the whole Review gang thirty years ago, which is to say not seriously at all. Unfortunately, there's a significant percentage of Americans who love that stuff and actually believe it, so we're all paying the price. Even Eric Cantor, bless his soul, isn't terribly happy about them right now. (Oh wait, that can't be right - he no longer has a soul, having sold it long ago.)

I'm fine now, thanks Louis.

They were whack jobs -- KJ of-the-bushes, not least. Seemed more keen on stirring the pot and setting themselves apart than on any idea in particular, but at least they had the excuse that they were young. Then. Dinesh appeared to be maybe a little less weird and a little more interested in what he claimed than the others, but in truth, I never knew any of them.

Anyway, I've outed myself. My name is Dan and I'm a middle-aged guy who was born in Chicago and raised mostly in upstate NY and I love soccer. It's been 17 years since I lost track of my FIFA license, which resided with a central PA amateur team, and two weeks since I last coached. There, I've said it.

oldpotatoe
06-28-2014, 07:41 AM
Coulter once said we should invade Muslim lands, kills their leaders, and convert the people to Christianity. She is not trying to be funny. She is serious. She's a whack job who caters to other of society's whack jobs.

Where are the snipers when you need them?

martl
06-28-2014, 08:32 AM

So this lady enjoys watching 300 pound men trying to kill each other instead of Ronaldos immaculate freshly shaved sixpack and has an attention span that lasts as long as a footballl move between two commercial breaks. Well, that's her problem, ain't it.

Md3000
06-28-2014, 09:04 AM
I'm fine now, thanks Louis.

They were whack jobs -- KJ of-the-bushes, not least. Seemed more keen on stirring the pot and setting themselves apart than on any idea in particular, but at least they had the excuse that they were young. Then. Dinesh appeared to be maybe a little less weird and a little more interested in what he claimed than the others, but in truth, I never knew any of them.

Anyway, I've outed myself. My name is Dan and I'm a middle-aged guy who was born in Chicago and raised mostly in upstate NY and I love soccer. It's been 17 years since I lost track of my FIFA license, which resided with a central PA amateur team, and two weeks since I last coached. There, I've said it.

I've always found it a strange narrative: glorifying this land built on immigrants throughout history, but then once the immigrants weren't blond with blue eyes anymore it becomes a problem? Or, settlers were great, but once they were settled they close the door for everyone else. So now, everyone that came after 1965 is too liberal?
People like Coulter preach to their own choir more than gaining any substantial ground with their ideas, and that's a good thing.
Dan if you're ever going west on the w&od to purcellville let us know! You can talk tactics and systems with a Dutch and a Chilean haha

1centaur
06-28-2014, 11:06 AM
Shall I now list 10 loonie (lacking soul) commie lefties given way too much time on mainstream media? This is supposed to be a soccer thread on a non-political board. It's not just non-political when someone complains about Obama, right? If the mods won't wag their fingers at this stuff...

djg
06-28-2014, 11:22 AM
Shall I now list 10 loonie (lacking soul) commie lefties given way too much time on mainstream media? This is supposed to be a soccer thread on a non-political board. It's not just non-political when someone complains about Obama, right? If the mods won't wag their fingers at this stuff...

I'm not a leftie and didn't mean to politicize anything, much less to endorse any particular countervailing journalist or news outlet. I'll go out on a limb and say that being offended at the suggestion that I am somehow not a "real American," because of where my great-grandparents were born, is not partisan politics. My immigrant dad, mentioned above, was a Chicago-trained economist and very true to his school, as they say. He loved tennis more than soccer, but that's neither here nor there. We have all sorts of threads about stupid anti-cyclist "news" pieces, and this thread acquired a stupid anti-soccer "opinion" piece, and I responded to its stupidity. I reckon I didn't say anything terribly enlightening . . . So sue me.

But I'm going to stop typing now because it's distracting me from Brazil-Chile, 8 minutes in, and I'd be glad to get back to talking about soccer AFTER the game.

Louis
06-28-2014, 12:50 PM
If they've said something loony about soccer, then by all means do so.

Two minutes left in regulation and Chile still giving Brazil all they can take, tied 1-1.

bobswire
06-28-2014, 02:06 PM
If they've said something loony about soccer, then by all means do so.

Two minutes left in regulation and Chile still giving Brazil all they can take, tied 1-1.

All the way to the last shot. Great game despite the fact that the majority of Americans expect instant gratification and superfluous high scores.

93legendti
06-28-2014, 02:48 PM
The article is worth reading past the headline.

For the haters, opposing illegal immigration and supporting legal immigration are two vastly different things. My father and grandparents didn't sneak in or break any laws in coming to America. The day they became citizens was the proudest of their lives to that point. Learning English was a duty- as were paying taxes, working extremely hard and serving in WWII.

Ann is quite brilliant; owner of several NYT best sellers and thanks my good buddy in every one of her books. She was a few years behind me in school. I can assure you "loonies" do not become the editor of the Law Review at Harvard, Michigan or Stanford.

"While attending Cornell University, Coulter helped found The Cornell Review,[10][11] and was a member of the Delta Gamma national sorority.[12] She graduated cum laude from Cornell in 1984 with a B.A. in history, and received her J.D. from the University of Michigan Law School in 1988, where she was an editor of the Michigan Law Review.[13] At Michigan, Coulter was president of the local chapter of the Federalist Society and was trained at the National Journalism Center.[14]"

CunegoFan
06-28-2014, 03:23 PM
Ann is quite brilliant; owner of several NYT best sellers and thanks my good buddy in every one of her books. She was a few years behind me in school. I can assure you "loonies" do not become the editor of the Law Review at Harvard, Michigan or Stanford.

"While attending Cornell University, Coulter helped found The Cornell Review,[10][11] and was a member of the Delta Gamma national sorority.[12] She graduated cum laude from Cornell in 1984 with a B.A. in history, and received her J.D. from the University of Michigan Law School in 1988, where she was an editor of the Michigan Law Review.[13] At Michigan, Coulter was president of the local chapter of the Federalist Society and was trained at the National Journalism Center.[14]"

Ted Kaczynski. Brilliant. Absolute loon.

martl
06-28-2014, 04:23 PM
As a famous savant's mother used to say, stupid is as stupid does - or, in her case, writes.

djg
06-28-2014, 06:45 PM
The article is worth reading past the headline.

For the haters, opposing illegal immigration and supporting legal immigration are two vastly different things. My father and grandparents didn't sneak in or break any laws in coming to America. The day they became citizens was the proudest of their lives to that point. Learning English was a duty- as were paying taxes, working extremely hard and serving in WWII.

Are those the three universally sane law reviews? Actually, given the snippet of biography, which I'll take at face value, I'm not sure what Harvard or Stanford have to do with it. And not to get snippy, but "an editor of the Michigan law review" is a student on the law review who sticks around for a second year (2L spring, 3L fall), which is not the same as being "the editor," which is colloquial for the particular position of editor in chief. So . . . several decades ago she was a solid law student at a fine law school, which is consistent with all sorts of things, selling tripe not the worst of them. I'm not reading past that first paragraph.

But back to soccer. That was a nail-biter. Not sure the keeper is supposed to come off his line like that on penalties, but whatever. In the end -- certainly in the second half and OT -- Brazil pressed more and, then, managed to put the ball in the net when it came to penalties. Not sure they are looking as good as some had hoped, but they were coming together a bit better for a while there. Props to Chile -- thought it was over when the wood shook near the end there.