PDA

View Full Version : Crossing cassettes on the "wrong" freehub body

mhespenheide
06-25-2014, 10:07 PM
I don't know if this is an odd idea, but does anyone make cassettes that fit on the "wrong" freehub? It seems like it might be a good idea for some ingenious third party.

I'm not talking about switching out the freehub itself; I'm wondering if you could make an entire cassette of gears and spacers that would fit on to the opposing spline system.

Does anyone do it? I can't seem to find any references to it online.

Or am I missing something more basic (mechanically/physically) than "there's not enough of a market for it"? :confused:

Most specifically, I'd love to fit a shimano/sram 10-speed compatible cassette on a Campagnolo-compatible freehub. But really I'm just curious. It seems like something Miche or SunTour or the like could do.

Anarchist
06-25-2014, 10:10 PM
they do.

lots of conversion cassettes available.

Miche, Ambrosio, Wheels Mfg., etc.

aaronf
06-25-2014, 10:14 PM
Wheels Manufacturing used to do some of that.
They would take a 10sp Ultegra or 105 cassette, disassemble and make spacers suitable for Campy 10sp and then sell it as Campy 10sp spacing for those stuck with Shimano-splined wheels. Worked pretty nicely as I recall. Although fairly pricey. But to their credit, they provided a solution to a problem.

Suspect they went the other way too.

Not sure of their current output though.

FlashUNC
06-26-2014, 07:31 AM
Once you get to 11 speed, there's no real functional difference between the two, so its rendered moot.

And I've seen enough bikes with cassettes from the "other guy" that shift well enough under the competitors parts.

mhespenheide
06-26-2014, 12:07 PM
Okay; I'm seeing a few options to run a campy-compatible cassette on a shimano freehub. But nothing the other way.

I have a Campagnolo-compatible wheel that I'd like to use with a Shimano 10-speed drivetrain. Looks like I'm out of luck unless I can switch the freehub body itself.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Anarchist
06-26-2014, 01:22 PM
The call to go the other way is not often heard. If the wheelset is made by Campagnolo you can probably use a Fulcrum freehub body to switch the wheel to Shimano spacing.

If it is another brand - check for available freehubs.

Or use a jTek shiftmate.

keevon
06-26-2014, 01:45 PM
Edco makes a freehub body that accepts all cassettes. The spline pattern works with both Campy and Shimano/SRAM:

http://edcoengineering.nl/products/accessoires/body.html?pid=61#top

TomP
06-26-2014, 01:50 PM
Nice idea. Does this free hub work on any other hubs than Edco?

keevon
06-26-2014, 01:54 PM
No idea on compatibility with other hubs. And the more I look at it, it doesn't look like there's a lot of support for the Campy splines. If the freehub is aluminum, I have to imagine that the cassette would tear into it pretty quickly.

Maybe not such a good idea after all...