PDA

View Full Version : OT: favorite brands for outdoor clothing

Nags&Ducs
06-25-2014, 08:18 PM
I'm specifically looking to buy a lightweight, waterproof, seam-sealed, technical hard shell jacket for hiking, trekking, and travel. 4-way stretch material a plus.

What are your must-haves in outdoor technical clothing? Do you have brand loyalty to one or two brands or do you like to mix em up?

There are so many good outdoor clothing companies- some of the many brands that I'm impressed with are:

66 deg North
Arc'teryx
Mammut
Marmot
Kaikkialla
Meru
Mountain Hardware
NorthFace
Cloudveil
Vaude
Fjallraven
Columbia
Norrona
Outdoor Research

I know I know...a long list. Guess I got a lot time on my hands. :)

My favorite is 66 North. Why? I suppose because it is an iconic Iceland company, and I'm a huge fan of Iceland (and yes, it was before Walter Mitty). It's waaaay too expensive at full retail but can sometimes find deals. Btw, I recently came back from a 10 day trip. My third time there. First was a short trip in 1995. Second was a 9 day trip in 2004. Loved it every time! Expensive beer and food but still worth it IMHO.

I also like Arc'T, Mt HWare, and Vaude. But again, Arc'T is as expensive as 66N.

What are your favs and why?

MattTuck
06-25-2014, 08:27 PM
It is worth noting that not all of those companies are independent. Mountain Hardware is owned by Columbia, Arcteryx is owned by Solomon, Marmot is owned by Jarden, I think cloudveil was bought by a private equity firm.

I'm not sure if that makes a difference in the quality of the product, but it is useful to know where your money is headed when you shell out 400+ on a jacket. And if supporting independent firms is a priority, then you need to scratch beneath the surface of the brand.

Wilkinson4
06-25-2014, 08:36 PM
Smartwool
Ibex
MEC
Poler
Duluth Trading Company

mIKE

Dirtdiggler
06-25-2014, 08:39 PM
Sherpa adventure gear..

AngryScientist
06-25-2014, 08:42 PM
i believe REI's house branded stuff is pretty good. i would also add patagonia to the list.

some cycling stuff is also good crossover outdoor gear. baselayers in particular, a good cycling baselayer is generally good for all outdoor activities.

i pretty much completely refuse to buy any of my gear at retail either. generally speaking, for my purposes, most of the big names in outdoor gear make good stuff, and my strategy is to shop the clearance rack at REI, EMS, Campmor, etc for stuff that fits and looks to be reasonable quality for what i;m looking for. i've scored some pretty decent stuff over the years at a fraction of retail prices.

Nags&Ducs
06-25-2014, 08:45 PM
It is worth noting that not all of those companies are independent. Mountain Hardware is owned by Columbia, Arcteryx is owned by Solomon, Marmot is owned by Jarden, I think cloudveil was bought by a private equity firm.

I'm not sure if that makes a difference in the quality of the product, but it is useful to know where your money is headed when you shell out 400+ on a jacket. And if supporting independent firms is a priority, then you need to scratch beneath the surface of the brand.

Great gouge Matt. I wasn't aware of that. But, something like that isn't as important to me as the connection I have with the brand through location/experience/event, or technical superiority/features, and even uniqueness. I like it when I'm wearing or using something that was bought during my travels.

choke
06-25-2014, 08:50 PM
While I've owned items from many brands over the years, I tend to stick with Arc'teryx or Marmot for clothing.

FWIW, unless you're going someplace where there's a lot of rain I'd probably pass on the hardshell and go the softshell route. I have hardshells and they are nice but for most situations they're complete overkill. I don't know if Arc'teryx still makes them but I have one of their hybrid jackets (part hardshell, mostly softshell) that is far and away my favorite for the backcountry.

Climb01742
06-25-2014, 08:50 PM
Patagonia. Their stuff and their ethos.

gomango
06-25-2014, 09:05 PM
Smartwool
Ibex
MEC
Poler
Duluth Trading Company

mIKE

You just described my closet.

I also pick up Patagonia shirts/odds and ends off ebay.

I buy colors no one else will. No one sees me most of the summer anyway. I spend as much time in the BWCA as possible. Wolves, moose and Muskies don't care if I wear "orange/lime green" shirts. :)

Nags&Ducs
06-25-2014, 09:07 PM
Smartwool
Ibex
MEC
Poler
Duluth Trading Company

mIKE

Love Ibex! Favorite wool clothing. My wife is crazy for them too. Basically keeps them in business! Lol

i believe REI's house branded stuff is pretty good. i would also add patagonia to the list.

some cycling stuff is also good crossover outdoor gear. baselayers in particular, a good cycling baselayer is generally good for all outdoor activities.

i pretty much completely refuse to buy any of my gear at retail either. generally speaking, for my purposes, most of the big names in outdoor gear make good stuff, and my strategy is to shop the clearance rack at REI, EMS, Campmor, etc for stuff that fits and looks to be reasonable quality for what i;m looking for. i've scored some pretty decent stuff over the years at a fraction of retail prices.

I rarely pay full retail in most anything I buy. Sales, or I can do without! :)

While I've owned items from many brands over the years, I tend to stick with Arc'teryx or Marmot for clothing.

FWIW, unless you're going someplace where there's a lot of rain I'd probably pass on the hardshell and go the softshell route. I have hardshells and they are nice but for most situations they're complete overkill. I don't know if Arc'teryx still makes them but I have one of their hybrid jackets (part hardshell, mostly softshell) that is far and away my favorite for the backcountry.

I've got a couple compatible sets of soft/hard shells (mt HWare $ Columbia) that use for skiing and backwoods adventures. I'm looking for lightweight shells like the 66N Snaefell or ArcT Alpha SL that I can stuff in a small daypack when I'm on the German, Austrian, Swiss wanderwegs (walking paths). Oh, and I'll be eventually going back to Portland. :)

Patagonia. Their stuff and their ethos.

Should have included them too. They make great stuff.

Louis
06-25-2014, 09:15 PM
This is a bit like "what's your favorite brand of beer?" There are lots of options out there, and your choice probably depends on both intrinsic and extrinsic value you get from the product.

(Unless you've been hanging out with Ötzi the Iceman, in which case fashion probably isn't very high on your list of priorities)

Ötzi web site (http://www.iceman.it/en/node/226)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-44mHdR-hUF4/TWy1hKelsEI/AAAAAAAAAOg/lKwU_bxJQpk/s1600/otzi-reconstruction-body.jpg

tiretrax
06-25-2014, 09:24 PM
North Face is now part of Warnerco, which owns Wrangler, Bali bras, and a host of other companies. Nevertheless, they still make fantastic gear. I love the coated duffel bags.

I like all the ones you list and Royal Robbins. There are lots of great companies out there, and lots of new small companies starting up every year.

BSBD
06-25-2014, 09:24 PM
I've had good luck with Triple Aught Design (TAD) Gear out of California. Have several of their jackets.

Adding a +1 to Arc'Teryx and Outdoor Research.

Nags&Ducs
06-25-2014, 09:31 PM
Unless you've been hanging out with Ötzi the Iceman, in which case fashion probably isn't very high on your list of priorities

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-44mHdR-hUF4/TWy1hKelsEI/AAAAAAAAAOg/lKwU_bxJQpk/s1600/otzi-reconstruction-body.jpg

I saw Ötzi in Bolzano recently. Doesn't look too bad for a couple 1000 yr old dude. Skin has a nice healthy glow to it. :)

Yep, fashion is a part of it too. But really, all of these brands make stuff that is fashionable and highly technical.

buldogge
06-25-2014, 09:35 PM
Rab, Westcomb, or Arcteryx (too pricey for my tastes)…eVent 3L or NeoShell only, IMHO. I prefer to have pit zips and a well adaptable hood.

Own this along with either a Marmot Ether Driclime or Rab Vapour Rise, a nice technical gridded mid-layer, and some merino base layers and you are GTG, as far as I am concerned.

-Mark in St. Louis

Louis
06-25-2014, 09:47 PM
I saw Ötzi in Bolzano recently. Doesn't look too bad for a couple 1000 yr old dude.

Very cool. I'm always interested in the insights we can glean from such little information. For example, they can tell so much just by looking at the wear patterns on teeth. In his case there was a lot more than just the body, so they got a snapshot of his clothing, tools, etc.

gomango
06-25-2014, 09:57 PM
I saw Ötzi in Bolzano recently. Doesn't look too bad for a couple 1000 yr old dude. Skin has a nice healthy glow to it. :)

Yep, fashion is a part of it too. But really, all of these brands make stuff that is fashionable and highly technical.

I bought my first pair of Zamberlans in Bolzano 27 years ago.

I bought a new pair of VIOZ Plus GTs there last summer.

Add those boots to any of the great clothing choices listed here and you will be really set up. I wear mine all summer when I'm not in a kayak or canoe.

If you are on the water a lot, look into Simms sportswear. I prefer their Superlight shorts or their excellent Superlight pants for all day comfort.

Finally, a good hat on the water is a must and I like the Orvis Coolever long bill, coupled with their UVX mask. I can spend the whole day in the boat Muskie fishing without looking like a lobster when it's time for supper.

mhespenheide
06-25-2014, 10:00 PM
I think a lot can depend on fit (just like bikes! :hello:). I had a wide variety of manufacturers' clothes before discovering that Rab generally fit my tall/skinny frame better than almost any of the American makes. Scouring eBay and CL, I've now replaced all my other stuff with Rab (or Montbell; same story on their fit). And some of Marmot's tall-sized pants. And some of TNF's "Flight" series with their "athletic" cut. But Columbia, Mountain Hardwear, much of REI, etc., are cut bigger than I care for. They may well fit others great...

I like the idea of Patagonia a lot. If I can find one of their pieces that fits and is on sale, I'll buy it.

As to materials, eVent and Gore-Tex XCR are both fabulous stuff, IMO.

MattTuck
06-25-2014, 10:04 PM
Very cool. I'm always interested in the insights we can glean from such little information. For example, they can tell so much just by looking at the wear patterns on teeth. In his case there was a lot more than just the body, so they got a snapshot of his clothing, tools, etc.

I watched a show about him. They surmise that he was murdered by someone he knew, based on the fact he had a valuable axe that would have been rare at the time. And if the culprit showed up back in the village with Otzi's axe, there may have been some uncomfortable questions.

mgm777
06-25-2014, 10:10 PM
Outdoor=Patagonia -- been wearing their gear for nearly 30 years. Still have my first jacket. Love the product, return policy, and environmental activism.

For Skiing specific = Spyder Active Sports

Louis
06-25-2014, 10:19 PM
I watched a show about him. They surmise that he was murdered by someone he knew, based on the fact he had a valuable axe that would have been rare at the time. And if the culprit showed up back in the village with Otzi's axe, there may have been some uncomfortable questions.

Certainly one of the oldest murder mysteries around! As I was reading through the web site I was wondering why the people who killed him didn't take the ax, if it was as rare and valuable as they suggested. (Unless of course, they were never able to find his body.)

(apologies to the OP for the thread drift)

Uncle Jam's Army
06-25-2014, 10:21 PM
Arcteryx for the outer wear (pants and jackets) and Patagonia for practically everything else. Love the design, quality, and ethos (at least in Patagonia's case--who doesn't love Yvon Chouinard?)

Saguaro
06-25-2014, 11:21 PM
I come from a mountaineering background so my preferences are geared toward alpinist clothing.

1. Patagonia
I go to them for base layers and also casual shorts and of course fleece jackets. Patagonia has been around awhile and I also like their environmental ethic. Down Sweaters are the bomb. I also like their Board Shorts.

2. Outdoor Research
They have the best fleece hats. Can't beat OR for their gators.

3. Black Diamond
Windstopper Fleece Gloves, second to none. They just launched a new line of soft shell products that are worth checking out. I have a pair of their new Schoeller alpine pants that I'm just starting to test drive.

4. Marmot
I have three of their Precip jackets and they are awesome. Lightweight, durable, full pit zips and provide protection from the elements. Also affordable at $99.

Dead Man
06-25-2014, 11:30 PM
RAB - almost all my mountaineering gear is Rab, from my baselayers to my shells to my tents. They've pioneered the latest greatest WBM materials and it's banked for them. Fortune favors the bold, as they say.... they've earned my business.

If I didn't have to upload them somewhere first, I'd post an array of pictures of Rab products weathering serious weather.

Here's a Rab tent doing quite well in high wind... we'd gotten gusts estimated at over 70mph that night, and pretty much slept through it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL6ZAjQFoag

cat6
06-25-2014, 11:37 PM
nike is pretty good. sometimes i use my rapha knickers for hiking.

John H.
06-26-2014, 12:02 AM
TAD Gear.
SF based. Popular with cops and military types.
I love their a Force Recon pants and shorts.
Shag master hoodie is awesome too but it seems like they only make 1 batch per year.

Brainbike
06-26-2014, 01:11 AM
Tad expensive as well, but super comfy and durable...

93legendti
06-26-2014, 01:28 AM
Smartwool socks
Columbia shorts
ibex gloves, hats, light, med and heavy layers, cycling jerseys, arm and leg warmers
Icebreaker light, med and heavy layers
North Face and First Ascent jackets
Alo t shirts
North Face and Columbia button shirts
Salomon shoes

benito
06-26-2014, 02:02 AM
socks: dahlgren alpaca

underoos: while the patagonia stuff is nice, warm an fluffy; rei on closeout is the best deal around.

technical jackets: montane.

paredown
06-26-2014, 06:01 AM
North Face is now part of Warnerco, which owns Wrangler, Bali bras, and a host of other companies. Nevertheless, they still make fantastic gear. I love the coated duffel bags.

I like all the ones you list and Royal Robbins. There are lots of great companies out there, and lots of new small companies starting up every year.
Hate to pick nits--but they are owned by VF Corporation (http://www.vfc.com/brands/outdoor/the-north-face)--one of the powerhouse branding conglomerates--this I know, because my wife is in the branding business, and has worked with them in the past... The same guys also own Timberland, Jansport and Smartwool.

Interestingly though, they still turn out excellent gear, and are still respected for their technical stuff...

Royal Robbins was my fave for shorts and other soft stuff, Smartwool for socks...Patagonia--admired but never bought--too spendy for my budget.

CNY rider
06-26-2014, 06:27 AM
Two brands that never let me down:

Ibex
Craft (except for that wind block shirt and we aren't going to discuss that again).

djg
06-26-2014, 07:49 AM
For a hardshell, stay away from anything like a coating -- fine for a lightweight backup piece, but not so durable if you are going to put it through its paces skiing, backpacking, etc. OTOH, Marmot replaced my precip shell no questions asked and my son has been getting decent use out of the replacement (and it is nice and light).

Patagonia -- oldie but goody -- they make good stuff. It lasts. No experience with recent shells from them.

I have a Mountain Hardwear hard shell with their "dry q elite" membrane -- it's a well made shell that seems to have good features, seems tough, but is
reasonably light. You can find deals on last year's stuff at places like stp. Good hood. Pit zips. Seems pretty breathable -- better than some of the alternatives, although when I'm working hard I tend to schvitz anyway -- doesn't matter what membrane is attached to whatever I am wearing. I dunno about corporate organization but I also have a couple of their tents -- good stuff.

Not so cool branding anymore, and the folks who last made any of their gear in the US have gone on to an old folks home or, perhaps, that happy REI in the sky, but I have an ancient North Face ski shell that is bomber and some of the new gear actually looks very well designed and put together. Typically wore the MH this past year, but the NF is still going strong after many seasons.

So I've heard some good things about some of the new-ish Eddie Bauer first ascent gear, but I don't have any.

djg
06-26-2014, 07:55 AM

(at least in Patagonia's case--who doesn't love Yvon Chouinard?)

You've seen this, yes? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1407927/

180 degrees south: conquerors of the useless

2 thumbs up

christian
06-26-2014, 08:17 AM
Muskie fishingI knew I liked you! I mostly go for bass and perch on the local reservoir, but they stocked Tiger Muskie on a lake about 20 minutes away from me this year. Fingerlings now, but oh, man, can't wait until 2017.

mvrider
06-26-2014, 08:21 AM
On a trip to New Zealand about 1.5 years ago, my wife and I hit every Icebreaker outlet on our path (sometimes defining our path). Then the Boxing Day sales hit, and we went to the retail stores. And then at the airport store in Auckland, on our way out, we discovered could get the Boxing Day deals in addition to the tax-free discounts!

Just outside Vancouver, there's an Arc'teryx outlet. The discounts were not outrageous, maybe 30%, but we saw a lot of pieces not usually found in the stores, perhaps samples and prototypes.

There's a great Patagonia outlet in Santa Cruz. Their inventory changes frequently, and their discounts get even better between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

On a recent trip to London, I bought an RAB eVent jacket for 40% off, and then added the VAT refund. After looking through the entire RAB collection, we concluded that, though RAB is very functional, Arc'teryx, and even Patagonia, are miles ahead in styling. We're not hard-core mountaineers or anything, but we appreciate well-designed and -constructed products.

Mr. Pink
06-26-2014, 08:36 AM
Nowadays, it's whatever is on sale (holy mackerel, I guess some rich people are on this board if they recommend Arcteryx), but, I have owned Patagonia for 25 years skiing, and it's amazing stuff, not only for initial quality and design, but the return and repair policy is fantastic. A few times I sent back an item for repair, and was not charged, or, even once, they sent me a brand new jacket! For that alone, I keep on coming back.

lovethesport
06-26-2014, 08:41 AM
My favorite for technical gear is Arc'teryx( hiking and skiing)...but for layering for cycling and particularly with wool you can not beat Icebreaker for quality and function.

gomango
06-26-2014, 09:01 AM
I knew I liked you! I mostly go for bass and perch on the local reservoir, but they stocked Tiger Muskie on a lake about 20 minutes away from me this year. Fingerlings now, but oh, man, can't wait until 2017.

Aw shucks. :) You are in for a treat with those Muskies. Talk about a thrill.

FWIW I am learning how to fish for these beasts on a fly rod. I caught and released a a 47 incher last summer on a clouser. That was a hoot.

Also, I can't believe the deals I get on techwear on ebay. I needed new Capilene as I have been losing weight from all the riding I have been doing. I was able to win four auctions that included five Patagonia Capilene shirts for less rhan $50. That's a great deal, even though I still shop at the Patagonia store that is two minutes away from us on Grand Avenue in St. Paul. It is very easy to get carried away shopping there.

alessandro
06-26-2014, 09:04 AM
On a trip to New Zealand about 1.5 years ago, my wife and I hit every Icebreaker outlet on our path (sometimes defining our path). Then the Boxing Day sales hit, and we went to the retail stores. And then at the airport store in Auckland, on our way out, we discovered could get the Boxing Day deals in addition to the tax-free discounts!

Just outside Vancouver, there's an Arc'teryx outlet. The discounts were not outrageous, maybe 30%, but we saw a lot of pieces not usually found in the stores, perhaps samples and prototypes.

There's a great Patagonia outlet in Santa Cruz. Their inventory changes frequently, and their discounts get even better between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

On a recent trip to London, I bought an RAB eVent jacket for 40% off, and then added the VAT refund. After looking through the entire RAB collection, we concluded that, though RAB is very functional, Arc'teryx, and even Patagonia, are miles ahead in styling. We're not hard-core mountaineers or anything, but we appreciate well-designed and -constructed products.

Good deals. For those of you who are not near Santa Cruz, the Patagucci outlet in Dillon, Montana, posts weekly specials on FB and Twitter. Here's their latest list:
http://dreammail.edgesuite.net/patagonia1/dillon_mo/Patagonia_Dillon_Webspecials_061614.pdf?sssdmh=dm2 3.0

You order by phone or fax.
You're welcome.

gearguywb
06-26-2014, 09:25 AM
For me:
Arc'T
Patagonia
OR
Darn Tough (socks)
Zamberlan (boots)
Western Mountaineering for lightweight down jackets and sleeping bags
Filson

gdw
06-26-2014, 09:47 AM
Add Montbell to your list.

dsimon
06-26-2014, 10:09 AM
Patagonia and Mountain Kakis

pdmtong
06-26-2014, 10:17 AM
I think a lot can depend on fit (just like bikes! :hello:). I had a wide variety of manufacturers' clothes before discovering that Rab generally fit my tall/skinny frame better than almost any of the American makes. Scouring eBay and CL, I've now replaced all my other stuff with Rab (or Montbell; same story on their fit). And some of Marmot's tall-sized pants. And some of TNF's "Flight" series with their "athletic" cut. But Columbia, Mountain Hardwear, much of REI, etc., are cut bigger than I care for. They may well fit others great...

I like the idea of Patagonia a lot. If I can find one of their pieces that fits and is on sale, I'll buy it.

As to materials, eVent and Gore-Tex XCR are both fabulous stuff, IMO.

I am a big Patagonia fan but their fit evolved and it no longer fits me as well. The "close to the body" pieces I can wear. Outerwear is a non-starter now. Their medium way too tight in the shoulders and the large I am swimming in.

I've met Mr. Chouinard. He came to our local store and gave an evening talk a few years ago. He was incredibly humble and it was a treat to listen to one of the pioneers talk about the old days and where he wants the company to head. I asked him to sign his book for my daughter.

Nowadays, it's whatever is on sale (holy mackerel, I guess some rich people are on this board if they recommend Arcteryx),

Take a look at some of the bikes here! Arc'teryx follows....
Seriously, it's alos a matter of sussing out the deals. I have a number of highly functional Arc'teryx soft and hardshell pieces that are just fantastic. Bought in season and not at full price. Made in canada too...so I guess it helped to be in before the proiduct line explosion/dilution. There are still deals...you just need to look for them.

Regardless of the price...these things for most people canlast forever, so who cares if you pay $200 or $300. get the piece that you think fits and works the best for your needs.

verticaldoug
06-26-2014, 10:31 AM
I recommend just buy what fits and you think looks good. There are only a few kinds of fabric the companies are using. I tend to think most reputable firms are making bomber stuff, so unless you are really pushing it, you should be fine. So you probably feel better being stylish or the rare brand- Haglofs, ODLO, Montbell.

RAB is definitely not stylish, but if it survives in the highlands, it is good.

redir
06-26-2014, 10:41 AM
I used to do a considerable amount of mountain climbing, Colorado, California, Alaska and Mexico blah blah blah... I've always just used cheaper stuff and it's worked fine. I did get a good deal once on a Marmot jacket and that was by far the nicest jacked I have had. In fact that was 20 years ago and I STILL have that jacket though it's pretty beat up.

My wife has a Go Lite jacket and that's pretty sweet.

jmoore
06-26-2014, 03:45 PM
Mossy Oak never lets me down

csm
06-26-2014, 04:22 PM
Patagonia, Arc Teryx and Nau.
nau has been through a few reorganizations and owners; I think they're now owned by some Japanese company.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

lonoeightysix
06-26-2014, 10:14 PM
This is a bit like "what's your favorite brand of beer?" There are lots of options out there, and your choice probably depends on both intrinsic and extrinsic value you get from the product.

(Unless you've been hanging out with Ötzi the Iceman, in which case fashion probably isn't very high on your list of priorities)

Why is Kris Kristofferson dressed up like a caveman?

Louis
06-26-2014, 10:23 PM
Why is Kris Kristofferson dressed up like a caveman?

Don't you remember that scene from Heaven's Gate?