PDA

View Full Version : Transporting a tandem on a Saris Bones rack

sjbraun
06-25-2014, 05:35 PM
I need to haul my tandem for a ride this weekend. Not a long distance, just 25 miles, round trip.
I really don't want to bother with installing our roof rack if I can avoid it.
I have a memory that someone on this forum has hauled a tandem on a Saris Bones rack. The weight should not be a problem as the rack can transport three bikes. I'm thinking if I stabilize the tandem with some extra tiedowns, I should be okay.

Any thoughts?

-Steve, whose spouse wants to join us us for a group ride, but doesn't have the legs to do so on her single bike

kramnnim
06-25-2014, 05:38 PM
Wouldn't it be really wide? I guess you could remove the wheels...

nublar
06-25-2014, 07:14 PM
I need to haul my tandem for a ride this weekend. Not a long distance, just 25 miles, round trip.
I really don't want to bother with installing our roof rack if I can avoid it.
I have a memory that someone on this forum has hauled a tandem on a Saris Bones rack. The weight should not be a problem as the rack can transport three bikes. I'm thinking if I stabilize the tandem with some extra tiedowns, I should be okay.

Any thoughts?

-Steve, whose spouse wants to join us us for a group ride, but doesn't have the legs to do so on her single bike

There's a 35 lb weight limit per bike. I'd imagine this would have to do with the ratcheting straps

Ti Designs
06-25-2014, 10:05 PM
I see two good options. The first is to put the tandem on a tandem rack. Using the Saris rack is just a great way of dumping the tandem on the road. The second option is to ride the tandem. 25 miles round trip means 12.5 miles each way - not even a good warm-up.

sjbraun
06-25-2014, 10:19 PM
Normally I'd agree about the warm up, but I'm in Tucson and the ride finishes with breakfast and my dear wife doesn't do well exercising in the heat. With the ride home likely at >100 degrees, I'm much better off hauling the tandem.

brockd15
06-26-2014, 10:05 AM
I've used a Saris Bones RS to move our tandem many times and never had an issue. I turn the front wheel and end up with the rear wheel sticking out maybe 8 inches, which isn't really a problem. The angle of the picture below makes it look like it sticks way out there, but it doesn't.

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww54/brockd15/Bikes/Cannondale%20Los%20Dos/CIMG0133_zpsyg2qugey.jpg

harlond
06-26-2014, 02:24 PM
I've done it a dozen or so times with no problems. Gone that distance or longer doing it, too.

JasonF
06-26-2014, 02:54 PM
Done it many, many times on a Thule Archway trunk rack with both wheels attached with no issues. I'll use a bungee strap to secure the front wheel/fork to the frame so it doesn't flop around.

For longer (highway) trips I will remove the wheels to reduce drag and weight on the rack.

AngryScientist
06-26-2014, 02:56 PM
Normally I'd agree about the warm up, but I'm in Tucson and the ride finishes with breakfast and my dear wife doesn't do well exercising in the heat. With the ride home likely at >100 degrees, I'm much better off hauling the tandem.

let your wife take the car, the 12 mile ride home alone on the tandem wont kill you.

bumknees
06-26-2014, 03:03 PM
let your wife take the car, the 12 mile ride home alone on the tandem wont kill you.

But you'll look so lonely...