PDA

View Full Version : Michelin tire tread separation

kgreene10
06-24-2014, 09:49 PM
I have the feeling that we have had this discussion here before, but all I'm finding through a search is the recent talk about deterioration (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=149692&highlight=Michelin).

I have been using Michelin PR4 Endurance tires for training for quite a while now and like them. But my front tire that's not very old and shows only medium levels of tread wear (i.e., it should have at least 50% more life, if not more), has separated. I'm talking about a separation between the gray-colored center tread and the black-colored "shoulder" tread (not exactly the sidewall). The separation doesn't go through to the inner casing of the tire that of course is all of one piece rather than bonded or glued pieces like the tread.

So, is the tire toast? I don't like to take chances with tires, especially on the front, but I hate to throw away a tire that's not worn or gashed.

steelbikerider
06-24-2014, 09:58 PM
I have a 25 Endurance that is doing the same after 5 months/2000 miles. I just moved it to the back

Ken Robb
06-25-2014, 09:53 AM
I think this is common on tires with different colors on the tread and the rest of the tire. It has never caused a problem for me.