PDA

View Full Version : wheelbuilders on the forum

thegunner
06-24-2014, 05:50 PM
trying to get a set of wheels built... could do it locally, but would love to have them done by a forumite!

reached out to echelon_john (not sure if he's still doing it) and ergott (who's a bit backed up at the moment)

any other suggestions want to help me out with this project? :)

oldpotatoe
06-24-2014, 06:35 PM
trying to get a set of wheels built... could do it locally, but would love to have them done by a forumite!

reached out to echelon_john (not sure if he's still doing it) and ergott (who's a bit backed up at the moment)

any other suggestions want to help me out with this project? :)

Send everything to me and I'll build 'em.

Chisholm2744@comcast.net

I've built a few.

rePhil
06-24-2014, 06:38 PM
Wow, I would take Peter up on that offer.

thegunner
06-24-2014, 08:03 PM

Chisholm2744@comcast.net

I've built a few.

peter, i know you've built more than your fair share of wheels :) email sent

oldpotatoe
06-25-2014, 06:44 AM

Chisholm2744@comcast.net

I've built a few.

Guess I should clarify..if Echelon John or Ergott are buried and anybody is time critical and for some reason can't get it done locally, sure, I have a workshop and can build wheels..more as a favor to a formite than any kind of 'business', cuz I am outta the 'biz'..

I cannot source any product..again, if it's a 'gotta have soonest' gig, yep, I can build wheels and even do stuff locally but I'm not looking to make $ or take biz from real business'.

thegunner
06-25-2014, 06:54 AM
just to clarify from my end, i'm unsure (and distrusting) of the published ERD, so i might need to wait for a builder who can source the spokes so nothing goes haywire :)

thanks again for the offer peter!

AngryScientist
06-25-2014, 07:01 AM
just to clarify from my end, i'm unsure (and distrusting) of the published ERD, so i might need to wait for a builder who can source the spokes so nothing goes haywire :)

thanks again for the offer peter!

what's the combo??

RedRider
06-25-2014, 07:34 AM
Try to stay local or at least find a wheelbuilder that has the parts. Shipping rims and complete wheels is relatively expensive. Good luck.

Ralph
06-25-2014, 10:50 AM
I have used only handbuilt wheels for over 40 years. Always Campy Record hubs. Last 30 years by a terrific local builder. She can build any kind of wheels, road bike, mtn bike, any kind of spoke....round or bladed (she can cut and thread to any length), high wheel bikes, wheel chairs, motorcycle wheels.....anything.

After listening to all you guys talk about your modern wheels, recently decided I wanted some new clincher wheels.....(I weigh about 155), with steel bladed spokes, low spoke count, great hubs, Campy casette body, strong rims to go with low spoke count, medium depth 30-35 MM, require no rim strips, around 1500 grams, and be able to mount a tire with my fingers. Didn't want to spend over about $500 bucks.

Decided It is very difficult to custom build a wheel like that for what I wanted to pay. So bought some "wheels otta box" as OP says. Campagnolo Zonda in regular clincher 1550 grams (not two way). Meets all my requirements for considerably less than $500 (complete wheels for about the cost WI or CK hubs), and my local long term wheel builder repairs those all the time, so even getting them trued or fixed no big deal around here. Loose ball bearing, just like my Record hubs, so maintenance easy. BTW....they were perfectly true otta box, and still true after 500 miles now. That's my recent wheel building story. They are not what some of you lust after, but they are perfect for me. I even think in the 20-25 MPH range with no head wind, they roll a little easier than my 32 hole round spoke wheels (my sons say that's just in my mind).

thegunner
06-25-2014, 11:21 AM
well i have a set of boutique-ish hubs on the way and have a set of rims in mind already :) so out of the box is out the window