PDA

View Full Version : How much money has this place cost you

firerescuefin
06-24-2014, 05:47 PM
How much has stumbling across this place (forum) cost you.

Maybe you always had the money and the taste to match. Perhaps you were ignorant with a little money in your pocket, but now you're poor(er) with nicer bike stuff...or somewhere in between.

thegunner
06-24-2014, 05:49 PM
i now own a moots and just bought a set of tune hubs, needless to say i'm far poorer than before :)

godfrey1112000
06-24-2014, 05:55 PM
Cut down on buying certain things based on "comments and recommendation"

Web recommendations
Selling extra items
And a second frame

p nut
06-24-2014, 05:58 PM
My bank account has taken a hit for sure. But the ROI is excellent.

gasman
06-24-2014, 06:00 PM
I haven't really spent too much more than before but when I buy something I really look for it to last a long time. The one place I continue to spend money is on saddles, I seem to like a saddle buy several ,then end up changing them out 2 years later. Oh well.

gdw
06-24-2014, 06:07 PM
It hasn't cost me anything. It's interesting seeing some of the bikes and new products but I'm happy with the gear and bikes I own which weren't purchased based on anything posted here.

rnhood
06-24-2014, 06:12 PM
I've made a few purchases, but only when I was actively in the market for something (gloves, energy bars, etc) that is generally not expensive. For items that cost, I'm a see-me, feel-me, touch-me person. I want to be sure the item will meet my expectations. I'm not swayed much by hype. But this place has been very good for quality information.

beeatnik
06-24-2014, 06:31 PM
I feel bad for every cat I see around these parts and VS who owns a Gaulzetti w/ Nemesis/CK wheels. Twenty years ago those guys would have been on a Trek with a nice contribution left over for their IRAs or 401Ks. But then I own Tune hubs and at least 3 bikes I never ride. This place is a bad man.

christian
06-24-2014, 06:46 PM
What I've saved over paying new keeps the lights on.

texbike
06-24-2014, 07:34 PM
This place has redirected significant hobby dollars over the past 10 years but the return on camaraderie and the informal education gained on so many different fronts is immeasurable.

Thanks for the deals in so many ways!

Texbike

tv_vt
06-24-2014, 09:20 PM
Let's see. I have bought two frames off of here, plus lots of smaller gear. Have sold one frame here, too, along with stems, seatposts, and other stuff. So who knows.

But have to say this -- I've never had a bad transaction with anyone on here. Lots of good honest folks - so a big thank for everyone who is keeping it that way.

yakstone
06-24-2014, 09:24 PM
Good place, good people and good stuff. I have certainly purchased gear that I really didn't need but have had fun with it.
Its also a great place for gaining information.

Louis
06-24-2014, 09:36 PM
http://www.drugrehab.us/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Tips-For-Recovering-Addicts-On-How-To-Spot-The-Enablers-In-Their-Lives-300x300.jpg

http://www.drugrehab.us/news/tips-for-recovering-addicts-on-how-to-spot-the-enablers-in-their-lives/

Who Are My Enablers?

Your enablers may not be easy to spot immediately. An enabler is anyone who encourages you to use drugs or drink spend money on bike stuff, whether or not he means to do it. The way in which this person encourages your habit may be obvious. For instance, if you have friends from the days when you were using, and they are still using, it will be very difficult for you to be around them without giving in to temptation. These people may or may not actively encourage you to use, but the simple fact that they are not sober makes them enablers.

Enablers can also appear in more subtle ways. Maybe you have someone in your life that always made you feel bad about yourself your bike stuff. She criticizes you and attacks your sense of self-worth. She may not be telling you to use drugs get another bike, but by making you feel bad, she may cause you to be tempted to relapse. If you are not sure who might be bad for you as a sober person, ask someone you trust. Sometimes it’s easier for others to see the subtlety of an enabler.

Edit: This is not meant to belittle or otherwise disparage those who truly have problems with addiction, chemical or bicycle.

dekindy
06-24-2014, 10:08 PM
I have got some great advice, bargains, and have been able to sell some stuff with no hassles so it is all good!

dave thompson
06-24-2014, 10:53 PM
Far too much! It turned me into a stone bike junkie. You old timers may remember which was essentially my bike-of-the-week club. "Hmm, just my size"...if it fits, you must commit. I quit counting Serottas, new and used, when I ran out of fingers and toes to count on. There were many other brands too.

I don't regret a minute of it.

Steve in SLO
06-24-2014, 11:05 PM
Your Honor, I take the Fifth.

Duende
06-25-2014, 04:55 AM
I've switched to Veloflex tires and upgraded to nearly an all Enve cockpit due to this forum and others. I'm not rich by any means and it's not been cheap hanging out here. ;).

However I'm extremely happy with these changes to my rig. And am glad I found this place as it's not only great source of information. But there's some super interesting and kind folks who hang out here too.

eippo1
06-25-2014, 06:55 AM
Spending time around here allowed me to expand my rigs from 3 to 7 and then down to the sweet spot of 5. But more importantly, my eyes are now more opened to the finer things in life like Della Santa, lugged carbon and veryfine titanium.

earlfoss
06-25-2014, 07:11 AM
When I need something I always post a WTB first because my comfort level with purchasing here is much higher than anywhere else. If it doesn't turn up here then I look elsewhere. I've spent and made a little bit over the years here and will continue to do so!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gblumenstock
06-25-2014, 07:29 AM
By far the best and most straightforward place to talk/trade bikes.

GB

ceolwulf
06-25-2014, 08:32 AM
I would have bought the stuff anyway and I got good deals here so on balance I think it's saved me money.

Yeah, let's go with that :)

tiretrax
06-25-2014, 10:18 AM
I think the amount has been minimal - but, I have a collection of parts that I probably wouldn't have by trying bars and stems that I really didn't need.

54ny77
06-25-2014, 10:27 AM
well said.

This place has redirected significant hobby dollars over the past 10 years but the return on camaraderie and the informal education gained on so many different fronts is immeasurable.

Bob Ross
06-25-2014, 10:59 AM
It's hard to separate my growing obsession with cycling from my discovery of this website; they pretty much went hand-in-hand. So I can't really say any of my expenditures are directly related to this site

...wait, who am I kidding? Of course they are!

Thanks a lot, you freakin' enablers!
:banana:

jr59
06-25-2014, 11:09 AM
All in all, this place has saved me more money, than it has cost me. I like nice stuff. Watches, motorcycles, sports cars, and to many more to list. Also I'm a collector of such things, but normally just one at a time. (thank God).

I already had a pretty good bit spent on cycling stuff before I found this place. The bargains I have found here have save me a LOT of money over retail. As I would have bought the stuff anyways.

So all good here!

giverdada
06-25-2014, 11:12 AM
most of my spending on bike stuff is here, or one of the LBS.

both venues for purchasing are because of this place. the deals are good here, the folks are friendly and better informed than a lot of LBS staff or other riders, and i find it more secure than ebay.

i also like how people on here have been so vocal about buying local through the shops. reminded me that that needs to happen for shops to stay alive. most of the shops i head to are for people a few tax brackets above mine (like triple), but i frequent them as i can.

this place is solid. and most of these things i'd be getting anyway, but, like mr. ross, my road bike cultural development has gone hand in hand with my time on this forum. it all started with a ti serotta...

leooooo
06-25-2014, 11:25 AM
Probably saved money.

Without this place I definitely would be buying top tier carbon wunderbikes.

mhespenheide
06-25-2014, 11:31 AM
No, no, no. By buying used in the classifieds, I'm saving money...

Really! :banana:

Ahneida Ride
06-26-2014, 08:08 AM
about 1500 frns on TA cranks

FlashUNC
06-26-2014, 08:13 AM
I like to think of it is how much I've saved instead of buying from randos elsewhere.

Otherwise it gets too depressing.

jmoore
06-26-2014, 09:57 AM
This place has cost me the same as my hunting habit, exactly $167.43/year

bluesea
06-26-2014, 12:38 PM

Thanks for the deals in so many ways!

Texbike

Exactly!

Dead Man
06-26-2014, 12:43 PM
Even at forum friendly pricing (and some of you guys really do make it tempting sometimes), I can't afford any of this stuff. So not much, really.