PDA

View Full Version : Tour de France (What you want/What you think will happen)

firerescuefin
06-24-2014, 05:38 PM
Pretty self explanatory...what would you like to see first...what do you think is going to happen second. :no:

pitonpat
06-24-2014, 07:46 PM
In no particular order... I'd like to see: Cavendish surpass Hinault's career TDF stage win total; Thomas Voeckler win at least one stage so we can be amused by his facial contortions; Contador & Froome battle day by day while someone else steals it in the end (can you say Tour du Dauphine, version 2.0?), and Jens Voigt win a heinous mountain stage!

What I think will happen is Froome will take the lead in the end of the first week & Team Sky will protect him to the point of boredom...

But, that's OK, I enjoy all the other competitions within the Tour and I always enjoy watching the countryside & the historic buildings, homes, and road architecture too. I notice, for instance, in watching Continental racing coverage that Europe appears to be way ahead of the US in solar panel installations on residences. The other thing I notice is that the French (we are talking about the TDF here...) appear to be living comfortably and enjoying life in spite of the xenophobic view that many here in the US have about them. Vive la France!!

Louis
06-24-2014, 07:51 PM
An additional question:

Will the penultimate stage ITT change the GC standings?

Md3000
06-24-2014, 07:57 PM
I hope belkin will do well! And I hope we get a few heroic climbers show themselves at the right times.

CunegoFan
06-24-2014, 08:02 PM
Hope: A lot of bad weather so the riders with iffy skills who have used cortisone to eat away their muscle tissue until they look like something H.R. Giger would paint have a rough time of it while Nibs shows 'em you never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

Half Hope/Half Reality: Contador is back on the juice and has been clued in by Rogers about Sky's preparation, so he is able to put up a proper fight, which leads to times on climbs better than Armstrong and Pantani. If nothing else, it is interesting purely because of its sheer ridiculousness, which is made funny by guys like Vaughters telling the public that the sport has changed.

Reality: It is established that Froome has taken so many drugs and is so superior to everyone that after the first mountain top finish the rest of the GC contenders ride in a procession up the final climbs.

572cv
06-24-2014, 08:06 PM
I hope that a French rider does really well, and improbably, wins (one of the competitions at least)! After all, it is their tour, and they have been a long time coming. Sort of like the Cubs, if not that bad. Failing that, I look forward to the emergence of some of the young Americans.

I love the tour, the diversity of the countryside, and the unflagging interest and support of the French and other European spectators. Vive le Tour!

kramnnim
06-24-2014, 09:22 PM
I'd like to see Contador dance his way to victory, with Costa or one of the Belkin guys on the podium along with Froome. And I kind of want someone other than Cav to win the first stages, as well as in Paris. Rolland as the KOM, though that seems unlikely. Froome would look funny in the polkadots (as second place to Contador)

Pinot and/or Roy for a stage win. And a Frank and Mandy utter flop.

EDS
06-24-2014, 09:30 PM
I hope anyone other than Contador or Sky win. My head however, tells me it is Contador or Froome for the win.

bcroslin
06-24-2014, 09:49 PM
I just finished reading the Wheelmen book and even though I hate to say it but the TDF in the doped-to-the-gills era of cycling was so much more exciting. Watching Armstrong, Ullrich, Pantini and others attack each other over and over until you thought their heart would explode was incredible to watch.

What I'd like to see this year: Jens win one last stage or at the very least murder the peloton during one of the flat windy stages. Richie Porte and Froome get into a fist fight outside the team bus after Porte has to drag his skinny ass around during a mountain stage and Porte finally attacks Froome and leaves him for dead.

What's going to happen: Froome will take the lead by the second week and then it will be a snore-fest all the way to Paris.

texbike
06-24-2014, 09:54 PM
I want to see beautiful mountains, twisty roads, cool architecture, gorgeous podium girls, and to have this guy kick somebody's a**!!!

Texbike

regularguy412
06-24-2014, 10:25 PM
I hope:

That Belkin has a good tour, as their sponsorship is going away (again!) and someone picks them up for 2015.

That we are treated to a Tour beginning like we had a couple of years ago, where the Yellow Jersey traded shoulders virtually every day of the first week (remember Jan Bakelans coming out of nowhere to take Yellow?)

That there are at least 4 GC contenders within one minute of one another during the final week and each has enough teammates left close on GC to make it a real fight on the last mountain stages

I think:
That Froomey will be good, but vulnerable to attack due to questionable descending skills

That there will be a big surprise coming from a dark horse contender (can you say 'Talansky'?)

mike in AR:beer:

stephenmarklay
06-24-2014, 11:07 PM
Want: Froome to stand up look back and accelerate away.
Reality: sit down cock his head, look at his stem and accelerate away.

Want: Contador to dance on his pedals and attack Froome to which he cocks his head and steers into a bush.
Reality: Contador dances on his pedals and Froome responds and Contador trys again to no avail.

Want Froome to get busted so the tour gets interesting.
Reality:?

rustychisel
06-24-2014, 11:51 PM
so far we're running 10:1 in favour of 'anyone but Sky'

make that 11:1

pinoymamba
06-25-2014, 12:03 AM
i want to see sagan win some stages.

i'd like to see someone beat froome on a climb and tt.

also it would be awesome if multiple teams ganged up sky.

Louis
06-25-2014, 12:08 AM
How about this: Battle of the Bad Boys - US Postal (pick your team, from any of the seven TDF wins) vs Sky, no holds barred, no Spanish beef "supplements" disallowed. That might be fun.

regularguy412
06-25-2014, 03:47 AM
How about this: Battle of the Bad Boys - US Postal (pick your team, from any of the seven TDF wins) vs Sky, no holds barred, no Spanish beef "supplements" disallowed. That might be fun.

LOL.

Not a tour winner, but I can spell 'F-E-S-T-I-N-A'. :)

Mike in AR:beer:

laupsi
06-25-2014, 05:25 AM
In no particular order... I'd like to see: Cavendish surpass Hinault's career TDF stage win total; Thomas Voeckler win at least one stage so we can be amused by his facial contortions; Contador & Froome battle day by day while someone else steals it in the end (can you say Tour du Dauphine, version 2.0?), and Jens Voigt win a heinous mountain stage!

What I think will happen is Froome will take the lead in the end of the first week & Team Sky will protect him to the point of boredom...

But, that's OK, I enjoy all the other competitions within the Tour and I always enjoy watching the countryside & the historic buildings, homes, and road architecture too. I notice, for instance, in watching Continental racing coverage that Europe appears to be way ahead of the US in solar panel installations on residences. The other thing I notice is that the French (we are talking about the TDF here...) appear to be living comfortably and enjoying life in spite of the xenophobic view that many here in the US have about them. Vive la France!!

sheer perfection :)

soulspinner
06-25-2014, 05:46 AM
Don't thimk Froome is gonna get the jesey early. Contadors team is no Sky, after they have supported Pistolero until they are burnt crispy, Froome tears em up, literally........

atrexler
06-25-2014, 06:15 AM
Want: Talansky rides onto the podium. Nibali gets up there too-- but is he just not on form this year?

Think will happen: Talansky in the top 5-10, Garmin otherwise targeting stage wins ala JV's preferred strategy.

As ever, it'll be interesting/painful to see how the first week shapes the race and who can survive the narrow roads and nervous bunch. Stage 2 looks like a one day Classic, and should be a great stage for a breakaway to win. Or maybe a GC contender tries to put in time early? Who knows. Stage 5 with the cobbles also looks pretty interesting. Almost guaranteed a top 5 contender will either crash out or lose a bucket of time on that stage. I think we'll see there how strong the teams are around Froomedog, Contador, and co. Or maybe the bunch will just tranquilo the cobbled sections.

maxn
06-25-2014, 08:14 AM
I want a tour winning attack to be made on Stage 13 in between the climb to Quaix and Sarcenas, because I will be there watching it!

Llewellyn
06-25-2014, 08:20 AM
so far we're running 10:1 in favour of 'anyone but sky'

make that 11:1

12:1

Llewellyn
06-25-2014, 08:24 AM
I can't abide Contador but I'd rather see Contador win than Froome.

Thank goodness for the Giro

e-RICHIE
06-25-2014, 08:31 AM
Want Froome to get busted so the tour gets interesting.

I think Stephen speaks for everyone who watches the Tour atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

:):):)
:cool::rolleyes:;)
:p:p:p

k-mac
06-25-2014, 08:32 AM
Want to see Talansky shine in top form.

Want to see Cavendish and Sagan go truly head to head and see what happens.

cfox
06-25-2014, 10:05 AM
I want Froome to get a backdated TUE for a handgun so he can shoot Contador after he attacks Froome during an inhaler break. I want Froome to miss, though, cuz I want Contador to win.

54ny77
06-25-2014, 10:31 AM
at some point in july, someone out there will say to their wives, "honey, is this the penultimate course for tonight's dinner?"

that's what i think will happen.

An additional question:

Will the penultimate stage ITT change the GC standings?

EDS
06-25-2014, 11:22 AM
Don't thimk Froome is gonna get the jesey early. Contadors team is no Sky, after they have supported Pistolero until they are burnt crispy, Froome tears em up, literally........

This year you could make a strong case for Tinkoff's tour team (Fingerbang, Kreuziger, Rogers, Roche) having more climbing chops than Sky (Froome, Porte, Nieve), but Sky has more muscle for dragging the peloton around on the flat and transitional days.

lovethesport
06-25-2014, 01:30 PM
I would like to see Talansky play a major role... he may be a bit young for this year.. but maybe not

Louis
06-25-2014, 01:41 PM
Serious question:

In the upper ranks of the big-name teams do you think there is any less doping now than there used to be in the recent past?

e-RICHIE
06-25-2014, 01:51 PM
Serious question:

In the upper ranks of the big-name teams do you think there is any less doping now than there used to be in the recent past?

No atmo. The only difference between all of the past and the recent past is that doping
became a stand alone news story during the latter, when it used to be something that
lived in the margins. It's always been there. Nothing has changed. If something has, it's
not evident to me.

MattTuck
06-25-2014, 01:52 PM
I am praying for some bad weather (rain, cold) early in hopes of it taking out the really skinny guys. That seems to be their only kryptonite, other than crashing and shattering their feeble bones.

My dream scenario would probably be a Talansky/Van Garderen/Horner podium, but.... no. :no:

More realistically, I'm hoping for a good performance from an American (stage win or podium would be great), a good result in the overall for Mollema and Kwiatkowski.

I have a feeling that the only way Froome or Contador don't win is through injury or expulsion.

It would be fun to see another flagrant display of rule breaking from Team Sky, as it would just make me dislike them more... hashtag evil empire.

saab2000
06-25-2014, 01:56 PM
I'd like to see a true French contender. There really hasn't been one since Bernard Hinault, except Fignon, who was nearly the same era. Richard Virenque wasn't really a true contender as he wasn't enough of a true all arounder and struggled in the time trials.

That's what I'd like to see.

torquer
06-25-2014, 01:57 PM
This year you could make a strong case for Tinkoff's tour team (Fingerbang, Kreuziger, Rogers, Roche) having more climbing chops than Sky (Froome, Porte, Nieve), but Sky has more muscle for dragging the peloton around on the flat and transitional days.
Agree. It may come down to how well each leader does in the ITT.

Louis
06-25-2014, 02:00 PM
No atmo. The only difference between all of the past and the recent past is that doping
became a stand alone news story during the latter, when it used to be something that
lived in the margins. It's always been there. Nothing has changed. If something has, it's
not evident to me.

That's unfortunate.

In that case one has to abandon any hope of "fair competition" (whatever that means ). TDF pro-level cycling becomes nothing more than a spectacle, potentially entertaining, but at its core not terribly different from pro wrestling.

e-RICHIE
06-25-2014, 02:02 PM
<cut>. TDF pro-level cycling becomes nothing more than a spectacle, potentially entertaining, but at its core not terribly different from pro wrestling.

When was it anything else but what you describe. To my mind, the answer is never atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

:p:p:)
:):):rolleyes:
:rolleyes::):cool:

gianni
06-25-2014, 02:08 PM
Want:

AC, J Van Dem Brouke and Talanksy on podium along with Froome positive (or even better with WC theme --Suarez bites Froomes arm on alp d huez and froome turns into a skinny/pale lycan and runs into forest)
No Phil L.
Promising ride by TVG.
No JV op-ed or silly outfits

What will happen (IMHO:))
Super exciting first week with some crashes, lots of opinions
Sky will take control on 2nd week
Froome looks at stem and gains time on climbs in last week
Froome gains more time in last TT
Froome, AC, Van Dem Brouke on final podium

Louis
06-25-2014, 02:14 PM
When was it anything else but what you describe. To my mind, the answer is never atmo.

Perhaps it's always been rotten, but from my spectating perspective it wouldn't hurt if they managed to clean up the sport (or at least really try) instead of simply maintaining a veneer of respectability.

CunegoFan
06-25-2014, 02:44 PM
not evident to me.

I think the difference is that now the dope actually works--a lot. I have little doubt that in a clean environment Merckx without amphetamines would have racked up an impressive set of palmares. With Hinault the same is true, even though I am quite certain he was using steroids. With EPO I am not sure of anything.

Willy Voet once said the drugs before EPO allowed a rider to reach his potential and EPO allowed him to exceed it, so in the blood vector doping era it is difficult to know what any of these guys could achieve if the sport was clean. It is likely that some of the top riders would be middling pros in a clean sport. I look at Froome, who was a nobody as an amateur, a chump who zig-zagged up climbs during the first five years of his pro career, and was struggling to find another contract before he transformed, and the only thing that comes to mind is, "W T F! This is BS!"

Below the elite of the elite, I think doping has been reduced considerably. It takes a much more sophisticated program to beat the testing, so the low level domestiques are not doing what they were fifteen years ago. Perversely, the move toward a cleaner environment has given the dopers a larger advantage. Also perversely, I don't think the show is as good when just those at the top are juiced compared to the free-for-all of the 90s. The entertainment would be better if everyone was clean, but barring that this half solution that exists now is often an extremely poor spectacle.

lovethesport
06-25-2014, 02:48 PM
LA will be at home mooning his TV

e-RICHIE
06-25-2014, 02:54 PM
...The entertainment would be better if everyone was clean, but barring that this half solution that exists now is often an extremely poor spectacle.
Some of the doping is for recovery atmo. Without these products,
the three week tours would take a month and a half to complete.

ps

arrange disorder

;):p;)
;):);)
:p:):rolleyes:

54ny77
06-25-2014, 02:54 PM
Froome will get a TUE for sumo wrestling.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cycling/sumo-wrestling-proves-biggest-challenge-yet-for-tour-de-france-winner-chris-froome-8904179.html

CunegoFan
06-25-2014, 03:08 PM

There are lots of riders these days who are not using anything. They won't be winning the Tour any day soon, but at the lower levels there has been a marked change. The stuff that was the mainstay of recovery has not been safe to use for a few years now. The new longitudinal hormone profiling that started this year will make things even more difficult.

kramnnim
06-25-2014, 03:11 PM

I'd really like to see Wiggins in the Tour. EBH is out, Stannard has been out...seems like Froome could really use some help.

laupsi
06-25-2014, 03:31 PM
okay there's an obvious omission I have to mention; I'd like to see Mr. Rui Costa at least win a stage; be very nice if he made it into the top 10.

rain dogs
06-25-2014, 04:22 PM

That's not true. I've solo shadowed, unsupported half the Giro (after riding 4 Tour stages going in) and doing 3 back to back 300km stages going out and I'm hardly anything near the fitness of a pro.

The three weeks is easily do-able.... it's the speed they do it at that is insane. But a pro athlete could quite handily do those distances over that terrain in those days with all that support. Just the times per day would be hours longer.

macaroon
06-25-2014, 04:27 PM
Ideally:

Cav will win the green Jersey and win all of the sprint stages in England.

Dave Millar will win the ITT

Andy Schleck will win a number of mountain stages and the overall.

e-RICHIE
06-25-2014, 04:59 PM
That's not true. I've solo shadowed, unsupported half the Giro (after riding 4 Tour stages going in) and doing 3 back to back 300km stages going out and I'm hardly anything near the fitness of a pro.

The three weeks is easily do-able.... it's the speed they do it at that is insane. But a pro athlete could quite handily do those distances over that terrain in those days with all that support. Just the times per day would be hours longer.

Okay - It's yours. They can do it in the same amount of days. But many of
them would end at 7PM, and everyone would be really freaking tired atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

:cool::cool::)
:):):cool:
;):p:rolleyes:

firerescuefin
06-25-2014, 05:02 PM
Okay - It's yours. They can do it in the same amount of days. But many of
them would end at 7PM, and everyone would be really freaking tired atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

:cool::cool::)
:):):cool:
;):p:rolleyes:

.....and what would be so wrong with that. I know you are in agreement with me (so not arguing with you). There would be nothing shameful or wrong with that. Might take people a few minutes for their eyes to adjust based on what they've been seeing (forever)...but would give even more credence to the scope of what these guys do every day...for THREE weeks.

e-RICHIE
06-25-2014, 05:07 PM
.....and what would be so wrong with that. I know you are in agreement with me (so not arguing with you). There would be nothing shameful or wrong with that. Might take people a few minutes for their eyes to adjust based on what they've been seeing (forever)...but would give even more credence to the scope of what these guys do every day...for THREE weeks.

Nothing would be wrong with it at all. And, I don't think anything's that wrong with the current system. If there was, it wouldn't have remained intact for over a century. These cats are the floor show dot period. A fan (me, for example) watches regardless of knowing how the game is played, how the magic trick works, or where the skeletons are buried. All judgments aside, I believe that atmo. If and when enough fans don't tune in, something will change. In my adult life that includes following the sport, nothing has changed.

shovelhd
06-25-2014, 07:31 PM
Unfortunately, I agree with E-Richie. Doping in one form or another will never be eradicated in this sport, or any other major pro sport for that matter. There's too much money involved. All this "times are down on the HC so they must be clean" is so much window dressing.

atrexler
06-25-2014, 09:08 PM
Another thing I'm hungry to see is Ted King get some karmic payback after the business last year. great dude.

choke
06-25-2014, 09:56 PM
What I'd like to see:
Cavendish, Cancellara and all of Sky go winless.
Nibali, Sagan and Kwiatkowski on the podium in Paris.

What I'll likely see:
Yet another boring edition of the "World's Greatest Cycling Race".
Andy Schleck failing to impress.

How long do I have to wait for Paris-Roubaix and the Giro again?

54ny77
06-25-2014, 10:24 PM
Phil Liggett will forget Paul Sherwin's name. "Oh my goodness me, who are you again?"

oldpotatoe
06-26-2014, 07:22 AM
Will battle it out and be close but on stage 14, Contador's rear der blows up, he drops 8 minutes and falls off the podium.

atrexler
06-26-2014, 07:48 AM
What I'll likely see:
Yet another boring edition of the "World's Greatest Cycling Race".
Andy Schleck failing to impress.

Is there really even a question about Schleck? I'm shocked he even made the TdF team.

PQJ
06-26-2014, 08:19 AM
Will battle it out and be close but on stage 14, Contador's rear der blows up, he drops 8 minutes and falls off the podium.

But then Froome loses the title 2 weeks later when it's discovered that cottage pie he ate on the second rest day contained a smorgasbord of banned adulterants (which he knew nothing about, of course). Contie is then hailed as the 2014 tour champion in the same way as Schleck is called the 2010 victor*.

* victor of the award for highest placed finisher not to have eaten Spanish beef.

cfox
06-26-2014, 10:03 AM
That's unfortunate.

In that case one has to abandon any hope of "fair competition" (whatever that means ). TDF pro-level cycling becomes nothing more than a spectacle, potentially entertaining, but at its core not terribly different from pro wrestling.

I've never understood the pro wrestling analogy. Wrestling isn't a sport, or even a competition. It's a staged stunt show with a predetermined "winner." Cycling is hardly that. Sure, guys are juiced, but they still have to do the race. It's exactly like any other pro sport. Guys juice up, then go compete.

torquer
06-26-2014, 10:13 AM
OK, how about pro bodybuilding as an analogy?
That's certainly a competition.

cfox
06-26-2014, 10:20 AM
OK, how about pro bodybuilding as an analogy?
That's certainly a competition.

closer! how about pro football? or futbol, baseball, nba, tennis, track & field?...and so on. If you think doping in cycling makes it a farce, you are saying all pro sports are a farce.

oldpotatoe
06-26-2014, 11:56 AM
Is there really even a question about Schleck? I'm shocked he even made the TdF team.

Are the sisters there or just the one?
If just one, I'm surprised the other lets him do it w/o his sister. Maybe they still spoon together at night.

Louis
06-26-2014, 12:24 PM
closer! how about pro football? or futbol, baseball, nba, tennis, track & field?...and so on. If you think doping in cycling makes it a farce, you are saying all pro sports are a farce.

Some are more farcical than others. I agree that the NFL is a joke. I'm not so sure about how significantly the NBA is affected. I think MLB has gotten better. (Just ask Braun)

cfox
06-26-2014, 12:48 PM
Some are more farcical than others. I agree that the NFL is a joke. I'm not so sure about how significantly the NBA is affected. I think MLB has gotten better. (Just ask Braun)

NBA season is a massive grind...long and uber physical. I'd be shocked if those guys didn't at least take something for recovery. And I know they are freaks, but it makes you wonder how a 7ft dude can have 2% body fat with deltoids the size of bowling balls.