PDA

View Full Version : Creaking bike shoes driving me crazy..

tlittlefield
06-24-2014, 08:12 AM
I have a pair of Mavic Huez shoes that are into their third season with me. A couple of weeks ago they started to creak especially climbing and under heavy effort.

This is defiantly coming from the shoe itself and not the pedal/cleat contact. I tried spraying the uppers with liquid silicone and this helps for about one ride but it comes back.

Anyone have a better solution?

eippo1
06-24-2014, 09:18 AM
Maybe try soaking them in water for a bit to get the sweat out of them and make them more supple?

madencbm
06-24-2014, 10:11 AM
I have same problem with Giro mountain shoes and spd pedals. It is the pedal-cleat interface. I know this because if I twist the toe slightly in toward the bike the squeaking stops. Nothing I have tried to spray on has worked.

OtayBW
06-24-2014, 12:11 PM
Put a little daub of beeswax mooshed into your cleat and/or pedal. Problem solved.

ShaneAtSilca
06-24-2014, 12:54 PM
If a silicone spray helps but doesn't last try for something thicker like a wax that will stay in place better. Also maybe identify the specific surface(s) that makes the noise when moving against each other with the help of a stationary trainer and a friend and scuff it lightly with some steel wool or ultra fine sandpaper.

MerckxMad
06-24-2014, 12:58 PM
In my case, the noise was created by the lorica tongue rubbing under the uppers/straps. A light coating of silicone spray on the tongue eliminated the noise.

ckamp
06-24-2014, 03:15 PM
my poggio's do the same.

take it as a compliment, perhaps you have more power this year...:)

josephr
06-24-2014, 04:12 PM
got a set of diadora shoes with Look cleats and the creaking would get bad when the screws would work themselves loose....Loctite blue solved that.
Joe

OtayBW
06-24-2014, 04:32 PM
If a silicone spray helps but doesn't last try for something thicker like a wax that will stay in place better.That is a good idea! :rolleyes: :banana:

zennmotion
06-24-2014, 05:41 PM
Don't assume it's necessarily at the cleat interface, I had a pair of shoes with squeaky buckles once and it took a replacement buckle to stop it permanently.

mtb_frk
06-24-2014, 07:32 PM
I have same problem with Giro mountain shoes and spd pedals. It is the pedal-cleat interface. I know this because if I twist the toe slightly in toward the bike the squeaking stops. Nothing I have tried to spray on has worked.

Mine have started doing it also. A slight twist of the foot stops it. Glad to hear it's not just mine.

bart998
06-24-2014, 09:07 PM
Try Gold Bond or other talc based powder... worked for me. Make sure your cleat bolts are tight!