PDA

View Full Version : Sorta OT: simple weight training with cycling for fitness

rcnute
06-24-2014, 12:07 AM
Hi, all: I'm getting back into weights after a decade (was never super into it but I did work out fairly regularly for awhile). The idea is to do enough for basic fitness, no special or cycling specific goals.

I was thinking the basics, 3x5 three days a week, 30-45 min. per workout--squats, bench, rows/pullups, deadlifts.

I tried 5x5 and I think it's going to take too much out of me.

I don't race or do anything performance-oriented on the bike; just commute about 16 miles a day and get a longer ride or two in on the weekend.

Am I on the right track? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Ryan

christian
06-24-2014, 05:57 AM
Quoting myself from another thread, I try to alternate the following workouts during the winter:

Workout 1:
5x5 squats or overhead squats
5x5 bench press
5x5 inverted row
Bridges/Planks

Workout 2:
5x5 deadlifts
5x5 overhead press
3x12 pullups
Bridges/Planks

I also like to do this yoga release: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDQNqZMv1V0

I think 3x5 may well be more sensible, but generally yes, I think you've got a good plan.

Ralph
06-24-2014, 06:17 AM
Assuming we're cyclists first.....weight lifters or gym rats second......I'm a member of Planet Fitness.....for many years. Go religiously 2-3 times per week ($10/month).

Being 73, and many years older than most of you.....my goal is to work the back sides of my legs, and upper body enough to maintain strength, muscle mass best I can as I age, and keep back strong and work on posture. Especially work on muscles that help with spine deterioration, stuff like that. So I definitely think weight training has a place in cycling....and in your life generally. And I generally think interval training is best way to improve cycling.

Some of you younger guys probably want to do weight training in winter to enhance your cycling, but where I live with year around cycling, I do it to enhance my general long term health, and for basic fitness. Depending on age, why and how we cycle, weight training is probably different for most of us. I do know that really hard weight training work outs seem to hurt my cycling more than it helps. That's why I just do it in a complementary way, and many weeks only twice. You can get good results for my goals twice a week. I also walk on a tread mill to work on balance. Your goals may be different.

sandyrs
06-24-2014, 07:19 AM
Assuming we're cyclists first.....weight lifters or gym rats second......I'm a member of Planet Fitness.....for many years. Go religiously 2-3 times per week ($10/month).

Being 73, and many years older than most of you.....my goal is to work the back sides of my legs, and upper body enough to maintain strength, muscle mass best I can as I age, and keep back strong and work on posture. Especially work on muscles that help with spine deterioration, stuff like that. So I definitely think weight training has a place in cycling....and in your life generally. And I generally think interval training is best way to improve cycling.

Some of you younger guys probably want to do weight training in winter to enhance your cycling, but where I live with year around cycling, I do it to enhance my general long term health, and for basic fitness. Depending on age, why and how we cycle, weight training is probably different for most of us. I do know that really hard weight training work outs seem to hurt my cycling more than it helps. That's why I just do it in a complementary way, and many weeks only twice. You can get good results for my goals twice a week. I also walk on a tread mill to work on balance. Your goals may be different.

Respect!

MattTuck
06-24-2014, 08:41 AM
Ryan,

I'm hardly one to model your fitness regime after, but I have been happy with my program for the last month.

I workout everyday. I have to do it, as it is better for me to know I'm doing SOMETHING rather than try to fit strength training in with riding. It used to be too easy for me to pass on the strength training with the justification that I didn't need to hit the gym because I was doing a ride that day.

My program consists of 7 days of workouts. L.U.C.L.U.C.S (Monday, Legs; Tuesday: Upper boddy; Wednesday: Core, etc. Sunday is dedicated 30 minutes of stretching. So everyday I know that I have to do something, no way for me to justify not doing it)

Christian's plan is good, though I do a lot more one legged exercises. For legs, I do a lot of single leg step ups, single leg bridges, single leg hamstring curls with a ball, single leg bulgarian deadlifts (also referred to as a windmill by my Physio Therapist), single leg squats.

For the upper body, I also really like the single leg bent over row... really works balance. Anything that can be done on one leg, do it.

fiamme red
06-24-2014, 08:49 AM
I believe in lifting weights year-round, unless you're a professional cyclist. Lifting weights won't make you a better cyclist (unless you're a track sprinter), but it will make you a stronger, healthier person, if done properly.

Just don't do heavy squats the evening before a long, hilly ride. :)

Mr. Pink
06-24-2014, 08:54 AM
Serious racers do nothing above the waist, so, if you're talking weight training here, I can't see the benefit if one is concentrating solely on biking. Any extra muscle mass above the waist is just considered dead weight and unnecessary. Lance didn't even do sit ups. That may explain why most of these guys can't handle a low speed crash without breaking a few bones. Nothing there to protect you, just skin and bones.
That said, I do upper body to build protection from impacts, since I ski a lot. Well, hey, also for vanity, too. Chicks dig shoulders. I don't see much sense in doing weights on legs, since I'll spend a lot of time doing aerobics of some sort in the gym (spin bike, stairmaster), so the legs get their workout.

MattTuck
06-24-2014, 08:58 AM
Serious racers do nothing above the waist, so, if you're talking weight training here, I can't see the benefit if one is concentrating solely on biking. Any extra muscle mass above the waist is just considered dead weight and unnecessary. Lance didn't even do sit ups. That may explain why most of these guys can't handle a low speed crash without breaking a few bones. Nothing there to protect you, just skin and bones.
That said, I do upper body to build protection from impacts, since I ski a lot. Well, hey, also for vanity, too. Chicks dig shoulders. I don't see much sense in doing weights on legs, since I'll spend a lot of time doing aerobics of some sort in the gym (spin bike, stairmaster), so the legs get their workout.

Probably not much reason to do crunches period, since cycling already keeps those muscles in a contracted state. On the other hand, there can be a lot of benefit to building back and other core strength. It can make a huge difference in efficient pedaling and comfort on longer rides.

TomNY
06-24-2014, 09:16 AM
Hi, all: I'm getting back into weights after a decade (was never super into it but I did work out fairly regularly for awhile). The idea is to do enough for basic fitness, no special or cycling specific goals.

I was thinking the basics, 3x5 three days a week, 30-45 min. per workout--squats, bench, rows/pullups, deadlifts.

I tried 5x5 and I think it's going to take too much out of me.

I don't race or do anything performance-oriented on the bike; just commute about 16 miles a day and get a longer ride or two in on the weekend.

Am I on the right track? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Ryan

IMHO best weight workout is using your own body weight. Checkout web for 500 move workouts, 50 squats, push ups, etc. You will strengthen muscle chains, avoid joint injuries, and improve your balance and flexibilty. I do a combination of these types of exercises that are basic movements in all physical activities. It keeps strong enough to pick up the GF:banana, and keep ahead of my son so far... Good luck

ThaRiddla
06-24-2014, 09:22 AM
Here's a workout that was given to me by an old cat 1 racer. It's a good all-round workout off the bike. I usually alternate this with something more core-specific like planks. This is great for the off season or alternating between trainer days.

You can do this with or without weights. I start with no weights and progress to more and more weight. It's a circuit workout, so no breaks in between exercises. Less weight = endurance, more weight = power. Try and limit the breaks in between sets.

each set contains the following:
10 standing squats
15 push ups
20 traveling/walking lunges (10 each leg)
10 single leg squats on each leg (rest your elevated leg on a chair behind you for balance)
20 inverted pushups (both feet on the chair, hands on the ground)

Do 4 sets.

If you desire more intensity, you can increase the number of traveling lunges and single leg squats or even increase the number of sets.

bobswire
06-24-2014, 10:17 AM
Upper body strength was lacking being retired from construction these last 5 years while getting older doesn't help. I hike and cycle 4 to 5 times a week but needed something besides the light weights I've been using. One year away from reaching 70 years of age I decided to do something about it.
A couple of months ago I installed my own pull up bar and liked it better than weights I had been using so I purchased a commercial set that fits in a door opening. I've used them pretty much daily and noticed big improvement in my shoulders,neck and arm strength.
When I first started I could barely do 2 or 3 full chin ups now I'm up to 15. I use them frequently during the day when I pass by them, no set schedule just play it my ear. I'm especially impressed with the area around the base of my neck where I used to experience discomfort when I would ride in the drops on my bike for any length of time has now improved where I no longer notice it.

I made this pull up bar with 3/4 inch gas pipe then used an inner tube over it. I installed it in back porch area, second photo shows it using some mustache for added hand holds.

http://i59.tinypic.com/21lrjv4.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/141i3ix.jpg

This is a commercial one I purchased and use in another doorway.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2vjvsi1.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/357hszt.jpg

Peter P.
06-24-2014, 07:53 PM
Considering the OP's current regimen, I see nothing wrong with what he's doing now in the weightroom. Anything is better than nothing, and an overall program is probably the best.

He may find that adding a weightlifting program to the physical stresses of his daily commute might be too fatiguing. So, during the cycling season he may have to cut back to fewer sets of exercises, perhaps as few as one set per bodypart, which is all I do during the riding months.

The good thing is during the off-cycling season, if he's commuting and riding less, he can offset the lack of cycling activity with more frequent weightlifting sessions. It will keep him fresh, interested, and motivated.

One book he might be interested in is Weight Training for Cyclists by Eric Schmitz and Ken Doyle. Otherwise, any general weightlifting guide can offer him program ideas.