PDA

View Full Version : Centerpull brakes + modern levers

559Rando
06-23-2014, 03:13 PM
Can you double check me? My new bike (pics & post forthcoming) has Dia Compe 750 centerpulls on brazed on pivots. They're paired to the Tektro BL R520 which is the v-brake/mechanical disk lever for drop bars. Braking is not great.

These are the wrong levers, correct?

I should use a brake lever designed for sidepulls/cantis instead, correct?

Thanks!

Daniel

dvancleve
06-23-2014, 03:22 PM
Hey Daniel, I'm pretty sure you have all that correct… V-break levers are not what you need.

Regards, Doug

keevon
06-23-2014, 03:31 PM
Yep. I've paired new production Gran Compe 610's with good old Shimano SLR aero levers. Braking was excellent.

Get yourself some short-pull levers.

559Rando
06-23-2014, 03:57 PM
Thanks, guys!

donevwil
06-23-2014, 04:15 PM
Poor braking occurs when running V-brakes with short-pull (road) levers, not road brakes with long-pull levers. If anything your brakes should be grabby and have less modulation (i.e. on/off) than with road levers. If by "braking is not great' you mean poor stopping power, I'd focus on yoke height (higher yoke = less power) and/or pad quality/material.

I run Mafac Racers with long-pull MTB levers on my commuter and they work well together.

pbarry
06-23-2014, 08:53 PM
Poor braking occurs when running V-brakes with short-pull (road) levers, not road brakes with long-pull levers. If anything your brakes should be grabby and have less modulation (i.e. on/off) than with road levers. If by "braking is not great' you mean poor stopping power, I'd focus on yolk height (higher yolk = less power) and/or pad quality/material.

I run Mafac Racers with long-pull MTB levers on my commuter and they work well together.

Yolk, yoke--whats a letter between friends? :beer:

donevwil
06-23-2014, 11:25 PM
Yolk, yoke--whats a letter between friends? :beer:

Doh! Maybe that's why my brakes feel a little soft (boiled). Cheers !!

El Chaba
06-24-2014, 06:38 AM
As a data point, I have a bike with Mafac 2000 centerpulls mounted to braze-on fittings and use them with 9 speed Record Ergopower levers.....I was a little worried what the resulting performance would be, but it is very satisfactory....excellent really...both power and modulation.