PDA

View Full Version : Shipping from Japan

Walter
06-23-2014, 07:29 AM
A buddy just purchased a pretty special motorcycle from an owner in Japan. Do any of you have experience with shippers there (or USA-based shippers who ship from there) as to price and care used? Thanks!

verticaldoug
06-23-2014, 07:56 AM
When I moved everything from Japan, I used Nippon Express. They are great but not cheap. But then again, you get what you pay for.

Between me and my friends, we have shipped everything from fine crystal, cars to a 42' Hinckley. Never a problem.

On a side note, I think it cost more to get the boat from the customs port in Yokohama to the marina, than it did from Greenwich to Yokohama.

Mikej
06-23-2014, 08:30 AM
Shipping a motor vehicle may require a bit of paperwork. I remember living in Okinawa and pretty much every guy wanted to ship a Skyline back to the states -but it was virtually impossible.

ceolwulf
06-23-2014, 09:06 AM
Shipping a motor vehicle may require a bit of paperwork. I remember living in Okinawa and pretty much every guy wanted to ship a Skyline back to the states -but it was virtually impossible.

That is mostly because the US restricts imports of non-US market vehicles to 25 years and older. Here we have a similar rule but 15 years so there are quite a few JDM vehicles around. I've had an MR2 and a WRX, myself, miss the MR2 terribly, really should get another.

Craig at http://bonsairides.com/ would be a good first stop for inquiring about shipping.