PDA

View Full Version : Finally riding a bike again! But...

learningtoride
06-22-2014, 02:00 PM

bargainguy
06-22-2014, 02:19 PM
Transitioning to clipless - try PowerGrips first. Kinda like toe clips but just a wide rubber band that runs diagonally across the pedal. IMHO, much more comfortable than any toe clips made of metal and leather.

As to cramping, are we talking soreness during/after a ride, or are you actually locking up and having to massage everything out in order to continue?

pdmtong
06-22-2014, 02:37 PM
When you get your cleats, set the pedal tension to be as loose as possible. you can increase the tension as you get more confident so you dont accidentally un-clip when standing etc.

the best "advice" i can offer you about riding with clips is to un-clip WELL BEFORE you actually need to. Give yourself enough time to un-clip TWICE if the first try fails.

The FDGB (fall-down-go-boom) scenario happens as you slow down, try to un-clip, can't, and then don't have enough forward speed to stay upright. At best you fall down and hurt yourself. At worst you fall down and take someone too...or fall into the path of a car.

If you try to unclip waaaaay before you need to stop, and find you are having a problem, now you have enough time to try again.

and practice in a parking lot.

Be consistent about which foot to unclip. soon muscle memory takes over.

a lot of people like to unclip left foot, to minimize grease on their calf.

I use my right, but thats left over from toe cloip days on a mtb when I felt like I was faster flipping into the toe clip with my right (I am right handed but oddly prefer jumping on my windsurf board when I am goofy-foot)

DO NOT be anxious about this. You will find that once you get used to it, you will wonder how you ever rode not being clipped in. Its actually much safer, since your feet wont accidentally fly off the pedal and suddenly alter your center of gravity and overall balance.

welcome back to riding.

learningtoride
06-22-2014, 02:49 PM

tiretrax
06-22-2014, 03:02 PM
Be sure to stretch before and after the ride. That should help somewhat. Contioning and hydration could explain the rest if it continues after the bike is fit properly. Try taking magnesium to alleviate cramps.

learningtoride
06-22-2014, 03:09 PM

malcolm
06-22-2014, 03:13 PM
bananas are good for you and good on the bike, but if you're thinking the cramps are from low potassium you couldn't eat enough bananas to effectively change your potassium level.

learningtoride
06-22-2014, 03:17 PM

tiretrax
06-22-2014, 05:37 PM
A few magnesium pills would be more helpful than a bunch of bananas. That's the main component of Sport Legs. A lot less expensive.

biker72
06-22-2014, 07:02 PM
Pickle juice works for some people. I never got past the taste.....:p

bikingshearer
06-22-2014, 07:53 PM
Glad to hear you are mending and back on the bike. It's been a long haul, but I delighted that all the work to get back is paying off. Good on y'er. :hello:

The cramp thing can be caused by, or at least exacerbated by, general electrolyte imbalance. If you aren't already, try experimenting with various electrolyte products. Personally, I like Nuun tablets because they are cheap, taste okay (not great, but okay), do not have much sugar (important to some of us), and are easy to carry with you to use in case you need to refill on the ride. REI has them if your LBS doesn't.

If you are using some sort of electrolyte replacement product, drink more of it before and during the ride. You shouldn't be going more than 15 minutes or so without taking a sip or three, especially now that it's summer.

I can't promise this will get rid of your cramps, but it won't hurt.

pdmtong
06-22-2014, 11:33 PM
Personally, I like Nuun tablets because they are cheap, taste okay (not great, but okay), do not have much sugar (important to some of us), and are easy to carry with you to use in case you need to refill on the ride. REI has them if your LBS doesn't.

Nuun delivers the electrolytes WITHOUT the sugar or the calories. A few others do similar. While their are scientific differences, I buy on taste and make sure I drink/use regularly whole on the bike. Plenty of Nuun flavors I like

Point is - constantly hydrate.

Splash
06-23-2014, 04:13 AM
when i begun to use cleats, i stopped at some traffic lights and could not de-clip as my brain was not yet wired to make this automatic un clip action upon coming to a stop. i lost my balance and fell sideways into a parked car at the lights. Luckily, i did not do major damage to the car and the driver was understanding.

As soon as i got home that day, i went to a local park nearby with grass, and rode that bike on the grass for around 2 hours, forcing my brain to uncouple from the cleats and not having to worry about falling onto grass.

i practiced many scenarios from -
- sudden unexpected stops at high speeds
- stopping on gradients
- stopping in wrong gear
- purposely falling over while still clipped in
- de-clipping on either foot in different setups

....i repeated this exercise for the next 5 days in a row....Ever since, de-clipping is automatic and wired into my brain and no events, accidents since....

Good luck.

Splash

moose8
06-23-2014, 05:46 AM
I find MTB shoes with crank brothers egg beaters pretty easy compared to other systems because you don't need to worry about which side of the pedal to step on. Other people seem to not like them, though. I've never heard anyone complain about basic shimano MTB cleats so maybe that'd be a good option. But if you're concerned with clipping in/clipping out difficulty I think a MTB system would be the way to go - it also makes it way easier to walk off the bike.

Good luck and glad you're back.

Clydesdale
06-23-2014, 07:27 AM
1 - make sure you are hydrated. If you are riding in the morning, are you drinking before going? I would suggest some water at night before bed and at least a glass or two before going out if possible.

2 - I have had really good luck with pickle juice (dill) for stopping cramps once they start. your mileage may vary.

3 - Stretch before riding, especially in the morning. Avoid static stretches but try to at least move and warm up some of the muscles you will be using.

4 - keep it up - your body will adapt.

learningtoride
06-23-2014, 12:45 PM

gasman
06-23-2014, 01:34 PM
I think part of your issue is what you suggested- you are trying to do too much too soon. Up your mileage/ workout time by about 10% a week. See if that helps your body adopt to the exercise.

learningtoride
06-23-2014, 02:43 PM

THE ARS
06-23-2014, 07:05 PM
Drink more water.

lemondvictoire
06-23-2014, 08:59 PM
Drink more water.

Drinking more water without electrolytes will create more electrolyte imbalance=more cramping, and in heat and/or high intensity exercise=heat stroke. Get some Gatorade, Cypotomax, or some other electrolyte drink and make it in the concentration that you like. Also get some electrolyte pills like Sport Legs or Hammer Endurolytes. Also sounds like your training intensity may be slightly too high...............:bike:

Ken Robb
06-23-2014, 11:29 PM
well, the longer rides- to REALLY be riding and not just tootling around the neighborhood has only been for this past week- but I was pretty diligent on the elliptical for the bulk of this month- I think that as I incorporated more bike time I really should ease up on the other- I will put into effect this advice and am sure will need more as I go- Thanks again guys- it helps to know although I don't have the "mentor" anymore I have my friends here at The Paceline- you are priceless! xoxo

I think you should lighten up with such serious training. This is supposed to be a fun hobby for you not a career. Don't push so that you suffer injury or burnout. Have fun, see the sights.:banana:

TomNY
06-24-2014, 09:28 AM
Be sure to stretch before and after the ride. That should help somewhat. Contioning and hydration could explain the rest if it continues after the bike is fit properly. Try taking magnesium to alleviate cramps.

Great cramp relief is found in health food stores " Calm " its a blend of calcium and magnesium. Works almost instantly. If you can take more salt in your food, do so too. That made a world of difference in my cramps that plagued me. Good luck!

learningtoride
06-24-2014, 01:29 PM

malcolm
06-24-2014, 05:08 PM
Scheduled an appointment with a nutritionist today- just out of curiosity, have any of you cut sugar out of your diet completely and if so, anyone using a substitute or alternative to? I have heard agave syrup is great- I have been using the stevia extracts- still takes a bit to get over sugar though lol- just wondering, my sugar intake had to be removed - not as in sweets- but in actual sugar in my coffee and tea- (I am a huge herbal white tea and ginger drinker- also green tea and ginger) but learning to remove sugar from the tastebud is a new challenge- I am cutting the elliptical use back to two days a week- because youre right- I should be enjoying my rides and not trying to be super fit in a few weeks- It's so therapeutic though, the riding, so sometimes I just pedal the aggression away- your advice is so appreciated- thank you guys! I go for my formal fit at the end of august- I just really didnt want to be THIS heavy for that event- and the caad 8 will be under me and on the road by Sept- I am very excited about it- still have alot of sadness often but moving forward- just got a raise at work and will be receiving retro pay as well- I know there are many things that are getting better and going forward- just gotta keep up with it all - you all help and I am grateful- I will keep you posted how the clip events go and thanks for all the help with the cramping factors- cause those really have sucked! lol

I would like to say I've cut it all out but I would be lying. I try to avoid all added sugar and all sugar substitutes. Except for the added calories sugar is probably better for you than the chemical sweeteners and again everything in moderation. The problem with sugar is the amount consumed on an individual basis.

learningtoride
06-25-2014, 01:50 PM