PDA

View Full Version : Today's Century Ride (in km) Report

Splash
06-21-2014, 06:25 PM
Just returned from a 4 hour 100km + session, and wish to provide a ride report..

Prior to departure -

Drank 1L of water and ate 1 banana.
Pumped up tires to 100 psi (down from 80 psi day before)
Slightly raised the saddle nose up by a RCH (fairy floss)
Removed play in both hubs
Took apart headset and re-greased everything and torqued back up (no signs of degradation)
Fitted a carry bag on top tube to lug all my stuff (instead of packing everything (and a 1L bottle of water) in my jersey pockets)
Loosened up sidi shoes to the max
Stuff tissue inside the shoes to help retain space in the toe area

During ride -

- 25km into ride, the sit bone pain started and reached a crescendo where i was forced to find a new sit position and fast. i wiggled forward and the pain went away almost imediately for the next 10-15km (but sort of drifted in and out for remainder of ride but never as intense).
-tried hard to focus on the pedalling technique i am learning about (upstroke, downstroke and backstroke in the 3 different diagonals), using my hips more than my feet, and resting my non-driving leg during the full stroke. concentrating on this technique is great when i was on any kms of boring flat road...
-Noticeable reduction in ball foot pain in both feet.
-i seemed to carry alot more speed over greater durations with less fatigue.
-I think i found a new riding position with my torso and head over the bike more...
-my hands became number at around the 25km mark as well (especially the flesh part of the little finger)i

Post Ride -

-Recovery upon return is signficant. normally i keel over on the bed (head into slumber) and nearly black out if i have a shower too early. today - this did not happen, and feel pretty good.
-new muscle aches aroudn the knee area (probably due to the conscious efforts to use hip flexion more)...

questions
- how do these tires lose 20psi in less than 24 hours (i pumped up these tires yesterday at 100psi, but dropped to 80psi this am)???
- how to relieve the numbness in my hands?

PS - I am in training for our annual 120km Top End Grand Fondo event - august 9.

splash

ptourkin
06-21-2014, 07:24 PM
IMO, you're overthinking it. It's a new activity and your body is responding. These rides get easier as your body gets used to being on the bike. This time next year, you won't find a metric century notable. Build your way up. I would advise against constantly making huge changes. Read up about fit and then adapt.

rwsaunders
06-21-2014, 08:24 PM
questions
- how do these tires lose 20psi in less than 24 hours (i pumped up these tires yesterday at 100psi, but dropped to 80psi this am)???
splash

Pretty common if you have latex tubes. Nice ride btw.

Splash
06-21-2014, 09:02 PM
thanks guys.

rwsaunders - butyl tube i believe in the Conti Comp tubular.

Splash