PDA

View Full Version : Re: Velo Plugs

sam.g
06-21-2014, 07:50 AM
I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing flats on the rim side of the tube when using Velo Plugs. Last year I built up a pair of Velocity A23's with the OC rear and used Velo Plug red instead of rim tape. Tires are easier to mount but I've had 2 flats with no indication of penetration thru the tire on the rear rim. In both cases the puncture was located on the rim side of the tube.

I really like the idea of plugs but now question the reliability.

Sam in Cincy

dem
06-21-2014, 08:15 AM
I ran them for ~2500 miles with no problem, however since then I noticed Velocity added this disclaimer to the A23 rim page:

"Veloplugs are not recommended on A23 or A23 OC rims."

http://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/a23-622

I've switched to tubeless so using tape now anyways.

saab2000
06-21-2014, 08:16 AM
1. Yes, I have had rim-side flats with the Velo Plugs. If the edge of the plastic is anything less than totally flush with the rim it can eventually puncture a tube.

2. I'm not sure the OC rear is designed to work with the plugs. (Edit: ^^^ beat me to it)

donevwil
06-21-2014, 11:20 AM
Yes, also on an OC rear before calling Velocity and being told not to use VPs on an OC A23. Tubeless tape will make mounting even easier (relatively) than VPs.

djdj
06-21-2014, 02:15 PM
I had the same problem with A23 and red plugs. As noted above, a layer of two of tubeless tape (e.g., Stan's) works better.

sam.g
06-21-2014, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the info, looks like I'll try tubeless tape for the OC rear. I haven't any problems with the VPs on the front wheel yet. Does the brand of tape matter?

Sam

sworcester
06-21-2014, 04:25 PM
As a side note, I had velox tape on an A23 initially and it was really tough to mount the tires and would push the tape over, eventually leading to a flat from the rim side. Switched to Stans tape with no problems. Zipp tape I hear works well too.

oldpotatoe
06-22-2014, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the info, looks like I'll try tubeless tape for the OC rear. I haven't any problems with the VPs on the front wheel yet. Does the brand of tape matter?

Sam

No, Orange Seal is good stuff also. Both the tape and the goop in your tubes..

572cv
06-22-2014, 06:01 PM
I used velloplugs on a new set of hed ardennes this year. I noticed that they wer hard to seat properly, but reset them as neded. I made a wooden jig that I could tap with a ball peen hammer and that worked really well. I made sure to spin the wheel and check each plug for little ridges. Came out well, so far so good. The plugs are a lot lighter than the tape that came with the wheels.

jamesutiopia
06-23-2014, 08:39 AM
I've used the Velocity Synergy rims on my S&S bike. They work well and seem to be lower profile than tape, so I can get the tire on and off without tools. I carry an extra few of them in my tool kit just in case.

IMO these will be standard and given away like ferrules and cable donuts someday (according to Velocity they are patented)

CAAD
06-23-2014, 12:43 PM
I use veloplugs on my Williams carbon wheels. The fit great and are totally smooth after installation. No problems using latex tubes. I just installed mine with my fingers, no tools need to get them in place. I used stans tape but after awhile the tape would stretch into the spoke holes due to pressure. That setup did not play nice with latex.

TimD
06-24-2014, 07:52 AM
I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing flats on the rim side of the tube when using Velo Plugs.

Yes.

mktng
06-24-2014, 08:08 AM
My problem with vélo plugs is that the valve hole is exposed and can over time slowly rub through the tube. Happened to me twice. They are nice though... Haven't really fixed the problem.... But it hasn't happened recently. I just try my best not to man handle the valve stem when I'm filling the tire up.

Fatty
06-24-2014, 03:14 PM
Never had a problem with Velo Plugs.
Ran super light tubes on Deep-V rims for years never flatted on the rim side.
Use on first gen A23 no problem there either.

Now I see Specialized has there own version called Roval Plugs.

mmfs
06-24-2014, 10:15 PM
Originally not believing that it mattered, I started with Velox on my A23 OC 650B and it shifted all over resulting in flats on the interior side of the tubes.

I switched to Stans 21mm tape and I haven't looked back. Much easier to mount the tires and doesn't shift around. I don't see a reason to use anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk