PDA

View Full Version : Preferred Method of Lugging Equipment on Long Rides

Splash
06-21-2014, 07:04 AM
interested to hear how you carry your spare tire/tube, puncture kits, tools, etc. during your long century (or even longer) rides?

if you use back packs, what brands do you use and why?

if you use bike carry cases, what brands do you use and why?

etc...

is it better to carry stuff on your body instead of your frameset or visa versa (from a weight balance/aerodynamic/fatigue point of view)?

splash

AngryScientist
06-21-2014, 07:24 AM
hey Splash - genuine question: is this your first season with a road bike?

If you can, you should find a local bike club or shop that hosts rides for new guys, you can learn a lot about bikes and riding in general from hanging out and riding with more experienced old timers, I'd consider it if I were you.

There is also a ton of information archived here on the forum, if you search around a little there are hours of reading on some of the topics you've brought up lately, I say that to be helpful, not a jerk, by the way. it's nice to see someone new to the sport excited about getting into it.

to your point: small saddle bag with spare tube, levers, multitool, etc. frame pump on the bike. i keep my back pockets free for my cell phone and food for the ride. pro tip: bananas rock, they're practically a cyclists super food.

a backpack for century+ riding is a terrible idea.

CNY rider
06-21-2014, 07:28 AM
What Nick said.
Try hard not to carry stuff on your body, especially for long rides.
It may not look "pro" but I love having a front rack and bag, or a handlebar bag. The tube/tools still go under the seat, but the front bag holds all your snacks, maps, cell phone, and can hold extra clothing like warmers and gloves that you may not want as the day heats up.

oldpotatoe
06-21-2014, 07:31 AM
interested to hear how you carry your spare tire/tube, puncture kits, tools, etc. during your long century (or even longer) rides?

if you use back packs, what brands do you use and why?

if you use bike carry cases, what brands do you use and why?

etc...

is it better to carry stuff on your body instead of your frameset or visa versa (from a weight balance/aerodynamic/fatigue point of view)?

splash

Underseat bag for small multi tool, so you are sure you won't need one( if you forget one, you will need one)..2 tire levers, patch kit, tube.
Pump on bike
Light jacket or vest in back pocket, cell phone, $5(need $10 if in Boulder county)...some food also..

You are new to riding, sounds like..don't worry about aerodynamics..worry about eating, drinking, enjoying it all.

Don't overthink all this..it's a bike ride.

Splash
06-21-2014, 07:33 AM
thanks for the advice and i appreciate your (and every one elses) patience.

i have only been in the game since 2011. i am not in any bike club because there is none where i live (very small town 3 hours drive from the nearest main centre). i would definitely join a club if i was able to ride with them on a regular basis. atm - no can do. i rely on internet for all of my learning.

because i need to lug around a spare tire (tubular setup), i find my lugging stuff is rather large and awkward.

i used to carry all that stuff in my back pocket on my gurnsey. i foudn this too hard and debilitating on long rides.

now, tomorrow morning i will try putting everything on a bike carry case connected to my top tube....see how that goes...

splash

oldpotatoe
06-21-2014, 07:36 AM

i have only been in the game since 2011. i am not in any bike club because there is none where i live (very small town 3 hours drive from the nearest main centre). i would definitely join a club if i was able to ride with them on a regular basis. atm - no can do. i rely on internet for all of my learning.

because i need to lug around a spare tire (tubular setup), i find my lugging stuff is rather large and awkward.

i used to carry all that stuff in my back pocket on my gurnsey. i foudn this too hard and debilitating on long rides.

now, tomorrow morning i will try putting everything on a bike carry case connected to my top tube....see how that goes...

splash

Are you in Europe?

Splash
06-21-2014, 07:44 AM
i live in Australia (Norhtern Territory) - where the crocodiles and buffalo run rampant and are king where we humans are second on the food chain....:)

i live in Kakadu National Park in NT.

so, i ride on highways in amongst river plains where crocs are known to attack cars driving along....

splash

eddief
06-21-2014, 07:49 AM
i know because i have one and use it on occasions with more stuff than will fit in a small, underseat pack. top tube mounted frame bag:

http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FFP

Veloo
06-21-2014, 08:02 AM
For the cell phone, I like to have it in sight so I can see who's calling and decide immediately if I want to answer or not. I'm a big fan of the quad lock. It's solid.

http://www.quadlockcase.com/

For rides as long as what you're doing, my phone battery wouldn't last. One say (soon) I hope to provide a review on my purchase here.

http://sivacycle.com/

That's my gadgety 2 cents.

For the other stuff, small frame pump always secured to the bottle bosses and my spare rubber and a small tool in a saddle bag.

Pockets only for keys, money and contact lens eye drops. I hate stuff on the body.

bobswire
06-21-2014, 08:25 AM
These look dorky i know because i have one and use it on occasions with more stuff than will fit in a small, underseat pack. top tube mounted frame bag:

Yeah, I have one too though I haven't had an occasion to use it yet. Who'd of thought two dorks on the same forum. BTW these bags would be perfect "downunder for a rideabout". :)

Anarchist
06-21-2014, 09:05 AM
i know because i have one and use it on occasions with more stuff than will fit in a small, underseat pack. top tube mounted frame bag:

Especially for where the OP lives, that is brilliant.

velotel
06-21-2014, 09:12 AM
No idea why riders in the states seem to be so down on carrying stuff on the body, either in a backpack or a fanny pack. Here in France I see riders all the time using backpacks but very rarely any fanny packs. I always ride with one or the other. Backpack for longer rides when I carry my camera, more food and clothes, plus the various tools and spare tubes. Regular rides I use my fanny pack, lots of times even when hauling along my DSLR though as a rule for the camera I prefer the backpack. Puts the weight on my shoulders instead of having to tighten the fanny pack to the point that it slightly constricts my breathing.

Why I suppose is partially a carry-over from my mountain biking days. I also just prefer having the weight on my body. I think of it as unsprung versus sprung weight. Unsprung weight is what is on the bikes, sprung weight is what is on my body, assuming my arms and legs are a form of suspension, which they are.

True, riders with nothing on their backs look much sleeker while those of us with packs I suppose look dorky but can't say as that bothers me. The sacks give me a lot more versatility. I don't hesitate to add and remove layers of clothes and sacks are perfect for that. I suspect I'm at the point now where I can't imagine not riding with a sack around my waist or on my back.

Can't help you with brands since what I use are well over 25 years old and I have no idea if the companies are even in business anymore. But then again you probably won't need to know since you're in the states and in the states no one wears backpacks and fanny packs.

mike p
06-21-2014, 09:14 AM
This coupled with a rifle scabbard :-)

Mike

csm
06-21-2014, 09:19 AM
I've taken to a tube, couple of tire levers and a co2 device in my jersey pockets. Also, cellphone and cash in another. That's for road bike rides; for longer Fargo rides I uses an osprey pack to carry stuff.
For really long Fargo rides I have panniers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Anarchist
06-21-2014, 09:20 AM
No idea why riders in the states seem to be so down on carrying stuff on the body, either in a backpack or a fanny pack. Here in France I see riders all the time using backpacks but very rarely any fanny packs. I always ride with one or the other. Backpack for longer rides when I carry my camera, more food and clothes, plus the various tools and spare tubes. Regular rides I use my fanny pack, lots of times even when hauling along my DSLR though as a rule for the camera I prefer the backpack. Puts the weight on my shoulders instead of having to tighten the fanny pack to the point that it slightly constricts my breathing.

Why I suppose is partially a carry-over from my mountain biking days. I also just prefer having the weight on my body. I think of it as unsprung versus sprung weight. Unsprung weight is what is on the bikes, sprung weight is what is on my body, assuming my arms and legs are a form of suspension, which they are.

True, riders with nothing on their backs look much sleeker while those of us with packs I suppose look dorky but can't say as that bothers me. The sacks give me a lot more versatility. I don't hesitate to add and remove layers of clothes and sacks are perfect for that. I suspect I'm at the point now where I can't imagine not riding with a sack around my waist or on my back.

Can't help you with brands since what I use are well over 25 years old and I have no idea if the companies are even in business anymore. But then again you probably won't need to know since you're in the states and in the states no one wears backpacks and fanny packs.

Well, the OP actually said that he lives in the Northern Territory of Australia.

R2D2
06-21-2014, 09:44 AM
The Rando method is to have a fork/bike designed for a front load and use a front bag mostly. Then you can reach your supplies when needed as you ride. Then you can have saddle bags from small to extra large in the back depending on distance and equipment you need.

You can try to use back packs or carry on your body but at Rando distances it will bounce around enough to be irritating and create sores.

mike p
06-21-2014, 09:44 AM
Most of my rides are quasi training rides so a couple tubes, tire levers, and maybe a chain tool are it, all carried in the jersey pockets. Spring and fall I'll commute to work and carry a change of clothes and a few other things. I use either a chrome messenger bag or a dieter (spelling) backpack. It's only 24 mi one way and I carry just what I need and no more. By the time I get to work my 5 lbs pack feels like 50 lbs I don't know how you guys carry a pack for a 100 mi!

Mike

Ahneida Ride
06-21-2014, 10:08 AM
Carradice Zipped roll works for me ...

for real long rides ..... the Carradice Barley

Ahneida Ride
06-21-2014, 10:11 AM
Underseat bag for small multi tool, so you are sure you won't need one( if you forget one, you will need one)..2 tire levers, patch kit, tube.
Pump on bike
Light jacket or vest in back pocket, cell phone, $5(need $10 if in Boulder county)...some food also..

You are new to riding, sounds like..don't worry about aerodynamics..worry about eating, drinking, enjoying it all.

Don't overthink all this..it's a bike ride.

OP is right about the Jacket..... Save my life once ...
and he corret about the other stuff too.

makoti
06-21-2014, 11:10 AM
Have you tried a Camelbak? Water, space for stuff, not that bad on the back. I've used mine for 200 miles at a time. Once you get it sized right, pretty comfortable. I still use a seatpack, as well. Timbuk2. Very small. Tube, levers, keys, Gu pack. That's all that fits.

malcolm
06-21-2014, 11:28 AM
I usually use a Timbuktu under saddle bag for multi tool/tire stuff. For longer rides centuries, doubles etc. I like my camel back, plenty of water and fewer stops if I choose and a cargo compartment for extra stuff, combined with jersey pockets more than I need. I don't care what it looks like I love my camel back.

Ken Robb
06-21-2014, 11:29 AM
I have an assortment of Carradice and Rivendell bags from small to HUGE (Hoss Model). The small Riv can be a seat or handlebar bag. A Carradice with their Longflap option is very versatile. A medium bag can work as a large because the flap is normally folded upon itself but it can be unsnaped to become twice as long nearly doubling the capacity of the bag.

I don't want anything in my jersey that might stab or bruise me in a fall. I tend to be hotter than most folks so I don't like anything on my body that isn't necessary. I gave up on bib shorts because they made me hotter than regular shorts.

One item I use on my mtn. bike would also work on a road bike. It is a light weight rack that clamps to the seat post and extends over the rear wheel to support a "trunk" bag and doubles as a fender. I also have a similar rack/bag that came as a ready-made combo. Some riders find that big seat bags rub on their thighs and these devices solve that problem.

roydyates
06-21-2014, 01:08 PM

True, riders with nothing on their backs look much sleeker while those of us with packs I suppose look dorky but can't say as that bothers me...

My impression is that here in the US the hardcore roadies don't like to carry stuff on the bike. They will stuff their pockets full and wear camelbaks so that the bike looks good.

My feeling is that if I am carrying something like a camelbak, then I'm doing extra work everytime I move my body around. Conserving my energy is my priority on a long ride.

Splash
06-21-2014, 01:23 PM
pictures of my steed just before i head out on another century ride - showing the carry case on the top tube.

also shows the amount of space i have underneath my saddle for perhaps another case?

splash

sg8357
06-21-2014, 01:33 PM
This is how Pro riders carry their stuff.

oldpotatoe
06-21-2014, 01:44 PM
pictures of my steed just before i head out on another century ride - showing the carry case on the top tube.

also shows the amount of space i have underneath my saddle for perhaps another case?

splash

Don't want to sweat you up but you happy with the saddle like that? Looks way nose down to me. Other thread, level is front to back, not center section but if it's comfy/works, then it works.

rain dogs
06-21-2014, 03:24 PM
No idea why riders in the states seem to be so down on carrying stuff on the body, either in a backpack or a fanny pack.

Riding with a backpack is one of the worst options for a couple of big reasons, and numerous other little ones:

1. It covers your back and causes you to sweat more, because a backpack doesn't 'breathe'. All that extra sweating can be avoided by putting the stuff on the bike. When you're doing aerobic activities your body is trying to cool itself off and wearing a backpack is working against that. I know this sounds like it is over-stating the obvious, but it should be more obvious. Same ride, same effort, same temp with and without a backpack, one back will be dry or slightly sweaty... the other soaked.

2. A backpack puts more weight on your upper body, thus increases the likelihood of stress on your hands and stresses your back, neck and shoulders. That's not to say that it's going to bother everyone on every ride, but your bike should be fit to be balance your bodyweight fore and aft. If you put a 10lb backpack on your back, unless you change your fit, your arms and core are going to be supporting that extra 10lbs.

malcolm
06-21-2014, 03:35 PM
Riding with a backpack is one of the worst options for a couple of big reasons, and numerous other little ones:

1. It covers your back and causes you to sweat more, because a backpack doesn't 'breathe'. All that extra sweating can be avoided by putting the stuff on the bike. When you're doing aerobic activities your body is trying to cool itself off and wearing a backpack is working against that. I know this sounds like it is over-stating the obvious, but it should be more obvious. Same ride, same effort, same temp with and without a backpack, one back will be dry or slightly sweaty... the other soaked.

2. A backpack puts more weight on your upper body, thus increases the likelihood of stress on your hands and stresses your back, neck and shoulders. That's not to say that it's going to bother everyone on every ride, but your bike should be fit to be balance your bodyweight fore and aft. If you put a 10lb backpack on your back, unless you change your fit, your arms and core are going to be supporting that extra 10lbs.

I agree for the most part, but I've ridden many centuries with the temp over 100 and I know I will drink more with my camel back and will need to stop less than just using bottles. I think drinking more trumps the effect of the back pack, which honestly I don't even notice.

Peter P.
06-21-2014, 03:54 PM
For most solo rides up to about 3 hours I use this 94 cu.in. bag (http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FMW2) from Jandd.

It holds 2 700c tubes in a cut-off sock, wallet, keys, 2 tire levers, patch kit, and multi-tool, with almost no room to spare.

I use my jersey pockets to carry my eyeglasses in a case, and food. I think jersey pockets should be available for quick access items.

Pockets in road jerseys are there for a reason; quick access to essentials. It makes no sense to me to block them off with a fanny pack, Camelbak, or backpack, all of which make accessing things like on the road food a time consuming pain. Also, they reduce airflow across the back during hot days. However, if you don't mind the drawbacks then by all means use them as they have the capacity to hold virtually everything you need for longer rides.

On longer solo rides I'd like to carry a cable lock, some additional clothing, and maybe more food, but my current bag above is too small. It has got me to thinking something I'd never considered before: maybe it's smart for a cyclist to own seat bags of various capacities to accommodate rides of various distances.

To that end I'm tempted to get a larger seat bag, something in the 200 cu.in. range. The bag that really interests me is Dill Pickle Small Saddle Bag. (http://www.dillpicklegear.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=76_71&product_id=61)

I don't like handlebar bags because of their aerodynamics and they look out of place on road racing type bikes, but I'm vain so take that with a grain of salt! They do offer decent capacity and easy access, although I wouldn't try fiddling with them while the bike is moving.

Frame bags are a good option but I think the frame straps are likely to wear away the paint on the frame eventually, so they're off my list as well.

Admittedly, when I ride D2R2, which is out in the boonies and unsupported, I've used either a fannypack or a Camelbak, but that's because I've been too cheap to spring for a proper sized seatbag. At least I can say I have experience with both and know their pluses and minuses.

OtayBW
06-21-2014, 03:56 PM

I have no problem riding with a fanny pack, but I use one only occasionally - e.g., if I need to carry something extra beyond repair items and normal kit. The fanny pack blocks access to my jersey pockets where I keep things that I need for quick access (usually nutrition items). Like I said, it's OK when needed, but it is otherwise just literally excess baggage over what I really need to carry. My $0.02. ;)

fogrider
06-22-2014, 02:15 AM

splash
the key to carrying tubulars is how to fold them...
http://cycletechreview.com/2012/features/fold-tubular-tyre/2/
for short rides, I just put an old toe strap around it and drop it into the second water bottle holder. for longer rides, I strap one under the seat and strap one above the rear brake. I can also slip a multi tool into the tire. rear pockets are for food, keys, cell phone and arm warmers when it gets warm.

Splash
06-22-2014, 03:33 AM
great link!

is it absolutely necessary to apply glue to the spare tubular as part of the strategy?

splash

verticaldoug
06-22-2014, 04:48 AM
I'd just fold up the spare tub and put it under the seat. Your top tube bag looks like it can hold a lot of stuff. You can always add a bento box behind the handle bars and stuff food, gels in there. Easy to access too. An ultra light jacket in your jersey pocket with a wallet. I think that set-up would have you covered. I'd probably prefer to ride clinchers. For the same space, you can carry 2 spare inner tubes and a small patch kit. It will give you more flexibility.

I wouldn't wear the assos moo jersey. I saltie might mistake you for cattle and make a bento out of you. :(

572cv
06-22-2014, 06:24 AM
If I know the conditions are going to be variable, eg climbing high, it's either a fanny pack for the extra stuff, or on a trip, I kinda like my Moots Tailgator. Multitool and tube and $$ and patch kit live in a little seatbag always. If its ideal cycling weather, like today, I don't have to carry much. Gotta go...:)

PaMtbRider
06-22-2014, 06:38 AM
+1 on the Moots tailgator. I bought one last year to use on a tour and leave it on the bike now for most rides.

oldpotatoe
06-22-2014, 07:07 AM
great link!

is it absolutely necessary to apply glue to the spare tubular as part of the strategy?

splash

Yes....Back to your saddle..it looks seriously nose down..the 'level' should be from front to back of saddle, not the center section, as per the SMP website but if ya like it like that, groovey!

bobswire
06-22-2014, 08:36 AM
Yes....Back to your saddle..it looks seriously nose down..the 'level' should be from front to back of saddle, not the center section, as per the SMP website but if ya like it like that, groovey!

One of Lens (Bike Nook) pet peeves was saddles facing nose down. He was a serious bike fit guy and how a saddle was positioned was part and parcel of a proper fit (horizontal). :)

rain dogs
06-22-2014, 12:16 PM
I agree for the most part, but I've ridden many centuries with the temp over 100 and I know I will drink more with my camel back and will need to stop less than just using bottles. I think drinking more trumps the effect of the back pack, which honestly I don't even notice.

If you're using a 3L camelback, that's 3kg (6.6lbs) of water + the weight of the pack itself and any other things in the pack... so approaching 8-10lbs your upper body is working unnecessarily to support. How much extra fluid loss through sweating I'm not going to pretend to know or guess, but those are my two main points.

If you're worried about speed/performance on a century, it'd be better IMHO to use a double bottle Tri cage behind the saddle. That'd be 1.5L of water capacity behind the body. Two bottle cages on the frame is another 1.5L and you've got your 3L with no water on your body. The small tools/tube for a performance century can easily be stashed in jersey pockets. The highest performance options will be the coolest core (least sweat/most hydrated) doing the least work, saving every last calorie for your legs.

If it's not a time/speed important century then it's even easier to avoid things on the body with frame bags or panniers etc.

The nice thing about jersey pockets is they have the ideal location and a physical limit to fill, about the max you want on the body.

Ahneida Ride
06-22-2014, 12:30 PM
I have one on the Bedford ..... great product.
Excellent way to hang a bag off the back.
and you can pop the bag right off.

http://cdn3.volusion.com/ctxtv.wmppt/v/vspfiles/photos/r13-2T.jpg?1400762309

http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/r13.htm

jr59
06-22-2014, 12:33 PM
The bagman rack and Caradice long flap works very well.

http://veloista.com/shop/satteltaschen/carradice-nelson-longflap/

gdw
06-22-2014, 01:52 PM
"If you're using a 3L camelback, that's 3kg (6.6lbs) of water + the weight of the pack itself and any other things in the pack... so approaching 8-10lbs your upper body is working unnecessarily to support."

Horses for courses. I agree that it's best to carry the additional weight on your bike if possible but have also found that well designed backpacks and hydropaks are practical and comfortable for centuries or multiday road and offroad trips. 15lbs can be carried quite easily in most bike specific packs and a number of companies make models which will handle heavier loads. They also are great if you like to stop and explore on foot the areas you're traveling through since your water, food, rain gear, and camera are in a single pack.

Splash
06-22-2014, 03:05 PM

Thanks OP.

After i took that pic, i slightly raised the nose to be just above horizontal by a RCH. As per my ride report thread earlier, it seemed to make a difference.

What would be the disadvantage in having the nose down like that shown in the photo?

Splash

malcolm
06-22-2014, 03:06 PM
If you're using a 3L camelback, that's 3kg (6.6lbs) of water + the weight of the pack itself and any other things in the pack... so approaching 8-10lbs your upper body is working unnecessarily to support. How much extra fluid loss through sweating I'm not going to pretend to know or guess, but those are my two main points.

If you're worried about speed/performance on a century, it'd be better IMHO to use a double bottle Tri cage behind the saddle. That'd be 1.5L of water capacity behind the body. Two bottle cages on the frame is another 1.5L and you've got your 3L with no water on your body. The small tools/tube for a performance century can easily be stashed in jersey pockets. The highest performance options will be the coolest core (least sweat/most hydrated) doing the least work, saving every last calorie for your legs.

If it's not a time/speed important century then it's even easier to avoid things on the body with frame bags or panniers etc.

The nice thing about jersey pockets is they have the ideal location and a physical limit to fill, about the max you want on the body.

I agree. The only times I use mine is the hotter n hell hundred, lets me skip the stops I don't want to stop at and when I'm remote and don't have access, 3L in the camel back and two bottles with some form of calories and of course on the mtn bike. The weight if you are used to it doesn't really both you if you are having issues back, hands etc if may exacerbate those.

The big positive of a hydration pack is that many folks do a better job of drinking/staying hydrated from a pack than they do bottles at least I drink more often when I have my camel back than just bottles.

Splash
06-22-2014, 03:07 PM
If you're worried about speed/performance on a century, it'd be better IMHO to use a double bottle Tri cage behind the saddle. That'd be 1.5L of water capacity behind the body. Two bottle cages on the frame is another 1.5L and you've got your 3L with no water on your body.....

Recommended brand on these tri cages to fit the s m p saddle composit?

SPlash

oldpotatoe
06-22-2014, 03:12 PM
Thanks OP.

After i took that pic, i slightly raised the nose to be just above horizontal by a RCH. As per my ride report thread earlier, it seemed to make a difference.

What would be the disadvantage in having the nose down like that shown in the photo?

Splash

Slide forward, off sit bones and more weight on your hands.

ptourkin
06-22-2014, 09:14 PM
For most solo rides up to about 3 hours I use this 94 cu.in. bag (http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FMW2) from Jandd.

It holds 2 700c tubes in a cut-off sock, wallet, keys, 2 tire levers, patch kit, and multi-tool, with almost no room to spare.

I use my jersey pockets to carry my eyeglasses in a case, and food. I think jersey pockets should be available for quick access items.

Pockets in road jerseys are there for a reason; quick access to essentials. It makes no sense to me to block them off with a fanny pack, Camelbak, or backpack, all of which make accessing things like on the road food a time consuming pain. Also, they reduce airflow across the back during hot days. However, if you don't mind the drawbacks then by all means use them as they have the capacity to hold virtually everything you need for longer rides.

On longer solo rides I'd like to carry a cable lock, some additional clothing, and maybe more food, but my current bag above is too small. It has got me to thinking something I'd never considered before: maybe it's smart for a cyclist to own seat bags of various capacities to accommodate rides of various distances.

To that end I'm tempted to get a larger seat bag, something in the 200 cu.in. range. The bag that really interests me is Dill Pickle Small Saddle Bag. (http://www.dillpicklegear.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=76_71&product_id=61)

I don't like handlebar bags because of their aerodynamics and they look out of place on road racing type bikes, but I'm vain so take that with a grain of salt! They do offer decent capacity and easy access, although I wouldn't try fiddling with them while the bike is moving.

Frame bags are a good option but I think the frame straps are likely to wear away the paint on the frame eventually, so they're off my list as well.

Admittedly, when I ride D2R2, which is out in the boonies and unsupported, I've used either a fannypack or a Camelbak, but that's because I've been too cheap to spring for a proper sized seatbag. At least I can say I have experience with both and know their pluses and minuses.

The Dill Pickle bag is great. I use it on longer brevets and it carries everything I need. I also have her handlebar bag for 600ks and such - it's nice to be able to access thing while you ride and the good ones are designed so that you can do so safely, instead of wasting time stopped. Personally, up to about a double century- I just go with my regular setup. Unless there is going to be weather and clothing changes, I don't need anything bigger than a regular saddle bag and jersey pockets.

Splash
06-23-2014, 03:46 AM
Slide forward, off sit bones and more weight on your hands.

Anyway to combat this numbness due to weight on hands - while still retaining that saddle position?

Splash

oldpotatoe
06-23-2014, 06:34 AM
Anyway to combat this numbness due to weight on hands - while still retaining that saddle position?

Splash

If you have too much weight on your hands..level the saddle and perhaps lower it a bit as well...go get a bike fit also.