PDA

View Full Version : D2 or other custom Shoes?

buddybikes
06-21-2014, 06:07 AM
My feet are a mess, with multiple neuroma's, beginning neuropathy, high arches etc. Currently using s-works shoes with orthotics and podiatrist making new orthotics to hopefully take pressure off of neuromas. So do I custom w/my own orthotics (not generally how they do it at custom shops (d2/rocket7), or just try fitting my new orthotic into sidi megawides or somthing else. Bummer because I will probably need to replace both road and mtb.

Others have experience with these or other custom shoe makers? Did you use your own orthotic?

thx
steve

Climb01742
06-21-2014, 06:27 AM
The challenge with custom foot beds into shoes is how much volume do the foot beds eat up? My experience has been that they tend to take up too much, forcing your feet too high up in the shoe, which causes the straps to either dig in or not close properly.

Another challenge is what shape and flatness is the base of the shoe? And does that base accommodate your foot bed well?

One last concern is, if you do a D2 shoe, be super careful when you do the crush box and take the measurements and outline of your feet. That accuracy heavy influences how well the final shoe will solve your issues.

I've been through all this myself so I literally feel your pain. Ironically the best fit I've found is with Specialized shoes and a really good fitter who used all of Specialized tweaks inside and outside the shoe to dial stuff in. I thought I was doomed to need custom foot beds and shoes forever but today the S works shoes, properly dialed in, are a better answer than anything I've found before.

Thing is, like saddles and butts, our feet and shoes are so personal. No one answer works for us all. Do you feel confident in the people who are helping you work through various shoe options? Good luck! I know what a pain feet can be.

Veloo
06-21-2014, 07:31 AM
The Birkenstock blue footbed may be a cheap experiment.

http://www.birkenstocktoronto.com/

I use them in all my shoes. I like how they end before the toes and the heel is very thin so they don't elevate you much at all. They are cork so they keep their form and don't compress much.

They run $45 where I buy them.

They help me but didn't get rid of all my issues. Hopefully getting my D2's in a couple more weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed.

buddybikes
06-21-2014, 07:52 AM
podiatrist already sucked me into the orthotics, coming in next week. Perhaps the next size up specialized will give enough toe box, this is exactly the problem, orthotics help bottom of foot but the volume they take up causes things to be worse. going into a larger shoe could end up with heel being too loose.

my preference would be if the podiatrist could measure me with my new orthotic then send measurements somewhere to fit shoe around it,

<edit> D2 was totally accurate this is what they told me below, they will work with me but just can't guarantee if they don't build the orthotic also, I have removed part of my reply

diabetes sucks....

djg21
06-21-2014, 08:28 AM
podiatrist already sucked me into the orthotics, coming in next week. Perhaps the next size up specialized will give enough toe box, this is exactly the problem, orthotics help bottom of foot but the volume they take up causes things to be worse. going into a larger shoe could end up with heel being too loose.

my preference would be if the podiatrist could measure me with my new orthotic then send measurements somewhere to fit shoe around it, neither D2 or rocket seemed approachable with this method, they want to do the orthotic...after I spent 450.00 for the podiatry one.

diabetes sucks....

Call D2. One of the issues with orthotics is whether they align with the curve of the sole of the shoe. I'm sure Don can tell you whether your orthotic will work.

If I were you, I'd have D2 make shoes with an insole, and then use your orthotics in your other shoes. If you work with D2, chances are that your foot issues can be resolved.

The crush boxes and tracings aren't difficult to do correctly, but if you are concerned, it's always a good excuse to take a trip to the Vail Valley! You might also ask about video fitting. Using Skype, Don can watch as the tracing and crush box is done and guide you through any issues. I've done a bunch of fits, and still like to have Don monitor just for piece of mind.

malcolm
06-21-2014, 08:43 AM
D2 has been discussed ad nauseam on here check out a couple of the threads.

My synopsis from personal experience: I never got them to completely work for me, but I gave up after sending them back a time or two. Don was perfectly willing to make them right. It's a great company and product. I feel the weak link is the impression/molds you do yourself at least that is where I think I screwed up. One was perfect as in I've never had any shoe fit like that, my foot just never set right in the other.
I really don't need custom shoes but for the price compared with top of the line of the shelf shoes I figured I'd give it a shot. I would use them again in a heartbeat, but I would find someone to do the impressions for me.

John H.
06-21-2014, 10:00 AM
This- I actually had a pair that did not work out, but I want another pair.
I think it is a great product.
I would only get them if I took a trip out to see Don personally.
I would want him to see my current orthotics and shoes- and also see my feet.
That way he could figure out what did not work on my prior D2 shoes.

D2 has been discussed ad nauseam on here check out a couple of the threads.

My synopsis from personal experience: I never got them to completely work for me, but I gave up after sending them back a time or two. Don was perfectly willing to make them right. It's a great company and product. I feel the weak link is the impression/molds you do yourself at least that is where I think I screwed up. One was perfect as in I've never had any shoe fit like that, my foot just never set right in the other.
I really don't need custom shoes but for the price compared with top of the line of the shelf shoes I figured I'd give it a shot. I would use them again in a heartbeat, but I would find someone to do the impressions for me.

D2shoe
06-21-2014, 05:33 PM
I understand that the Fit Kit can be a bit intimidating. To help with this I now offer a Video assist via Skype. It's been working out really well. I can watch the process as it is being done and I can coach your assistant though the entire process. This takes all of the guess work out of the process.
The results have been great!!

To the 2 of you that have not been happy with the results; give me a call. Let's figure this out!!

dekindy
06-21-2014, 06:10 PM
D2 does a custom shoe and custom orthotics which sounds like what you need. Maybe you can contact D2 and they have someone in your area that can help you with the Fit Kit or do the Skype thing like Don suggested.

D2shoe
06-21-2014, 06:25 PM

my preference would be if the podiatrist could measure me with my new orthotic then send measurements somewhere to fit shoe around it, neither D2 or rocket seemed approachable with this method, they want to do the orthotic...after I spent 450.00 for the podiatry one.

diabetes sucks....

Hi Steve,
Perhaps there was a misunderstanding. What I said is that I prefer to make the orthotics as they are an integral part of the fit. I can make the shoe to accommodate any orthotic but I do not guarantee the fit in that situation. I will make adjustments if need but there will be a small charge for any adjustments. You would also need to send me the orthotics so I can make sure that I build the shoes to the proper dimensions. Also the orthotics should be left a bit oversized so I can trim them to fit the shoes. We can make this work!

buddybikes
06-21-2014, 07:17 PM
thanks for your reply. I will see what happens when the orthotics come back and if they feel right, even if a bit tight. I am getting the cycling specific ones from here (not that it was my choice, the doctor ordered it). http://www.nwpodiatric.com/products

I am just confused by how people say they can design my orthotic, and they don't know my medical situation. Yes doing a mold is great, but will it solve reducing pressure on my neuromas? I think, anyway, my podiatrist should be ordering a orthodic with this in mind.

personally, I wish my podiatrist who is a cyclist, would work directly with a shop like yours, take the measurements/prescription and send them to you, and you as a shoe designer take it from there.

malcolm
06-22-2014, 08:55 AM
I understand that the Fit Kit can be a bit intimidating. To help with this I now offer a Video assist via Skype. It's been working out really well. I can watch the process as it is being done and I can coach your assistant though the entire process. This takes all of the guess work out of the process.
The results have been great!!

To the 2 of you that have not been happy with the results; give me a call. Let's figure this out!!

Not sure if I'm one of the two or not. I just want to make it clear I was in no way unhappy and at the time you were more than willing to make the other shoe work. I really didn't need custom as in I had no fit/foot issues. I seldom ride my road bike any more mostly all mtn now and shoes just haven't really been an issue.
I continue to recommend you and your product to anyone that needs or just wants a custom shoe for several reasons. 1) customer service, simply won't find better. 2) quality of the product 3) did I mention customer service.

kgreene10
06-22-2014, 02:00 PM
I'm not a stakeholder at present, though I'm custom-curious. I just wanted to note what a great forum we have that a thread begins about a particular product and the company owner chimes in. Speaks well of the forum and the small businesses in the industry.

buddybikes
06-22-2014, 05:07 PM
agree, I will probably be contacting d2 after getting my new orthotics...

jbrainin
06-23-2014, 01:45 AM
I suggest buying a pair of D2's new-ish model, the Powerwires. I recently got a pair and they are by far the moot comfortable bike shoe I've ever used, including my two older (2-3 years) pairs of D2's.

rustychisel
06-23-2014, 02:13 AM
No investment here, but it's very cool when the business concerned responds directly with positive suggestion and customer involvement.

When I get a foul taste in my mouth over other topics and their eventual locking I think of the benefits like this to this forum.

John H.
07-07-2014, 01:05 PM
Circling back on this.
I mentioned that I had a set of unsuccessful D2 shoes.
Did everything mail order- likely pilot error on casts and measurements. This was before his new Skype sessions existed.
I have funky feet and I swear they get larger and longer with full weight on them.
Also, I got lazy and did not continue to send my shoes back for more mods to make them perfect. I just gave up.
I did say that I thought they were a great product and that I would consider another pair if I could swing a trip out to D2 to get fit by Don himself.
Stars aligned and I am going to see Don later this month and get fit for a new pair of shoes.
Now I have to pick colors.

quattro
07-15-2014, 12:16 PM
Has anyone had experience with Riivo custom cycling shoes? How do you like them and how did the experience go working with Brad?

Thanks,

quattro

axel23
07-15-2014, 12:45 PM
Different in every case, I'm sure, but I suffered from a neuroma, even going so far as cortisone injections. Finally went to a third doctor. He shrugged his shoulders and said to try a size larger cycling shoe. I did and that solved everything.

Roadguy
07-15-2014, 01:50 PM
Mail order lasts scare me for some reason - Although the d2 look nice. The rocket 7's fit super nice I think.