PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying DeSalvo bike

kevinvc
06-20-2014, 12:27 PM
Hello brilliant people.

I am looking at what seems to be a very good deal on a DeSalvo Ti road bike. http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/bik/4527290082.html
The problem is that it is about 3 hours away from me and I'm not able to tell exactly what size / model it is. The current owner says that it's a 56 in their compact geometry, but it looks to me like standard. Their sizing model (http://www.desalvocycles.com/bikes/titanium-road/) would make it too big for me if it's compact, but just about perfect if not.

Can any of you tell by looking at the picture? Do you know if DeSalvo identifies the model in the serial number?

I'm asking him to measure the ETT and headtube for me, but I'd prefer to have some independent confirmation.

Thanks for any drops of wisdom.

rwsaunders
06-20-2014, 12:45 PM
That tt sure looks to be level which would be a standard geometry according to Mike's website, but then again this could be a custom frame. Perhaps send Mike an email with the sn and see what he says?

MRB
06-20-2014, 12:49 PM
To my eye it appears to be a traditional (level top tube) frame not a compact frame. Not that that is good or bad per se, but I personally like traditional frames. Not sure about the serial numbers, etc. You may want to contact Mike r: serial numbers.

kevinvc
06-20-2014, 01:09 PM
Mike's out of the office for a week. I'm thinking it's likely standard, which would make it my size. I also don't know the maximum tire clearance. The current owner has always had 25s on it and isn't sure if it would take 28, which is important to me.

I might have to roll the dice and do the drive from Portland to check it out.

I would also appreciate any advice in how to go about convincing my wife that I need to buy this!

Marburg
06-20-2014, 02:06 PM
This May or not be helpful but I spoke with Mike specifically about tire clearances when he was making my bike (lightly tweaked ti looking a lot like this one). He said he aims to put the rear brake bridge such that the pads are at the bottom of the slots. The front is driven by the fork, of course.

I'll have an eyeball in the garage but I think something like a RollyPolly would clear in the rear with a Mavic caliper.

Marburg
06-20-2014, 02:07 PM
Also, what an awesome deal!

rphetteplace
07-01-2014, 06:24 PM
I doubt that this is helpful....but there are no serial numbers on Mikes bikes.

Nags&Ducs
07-01-2014, 11:39 PM
Did you end up buying it? CL listing was deleted so I'm assuming it was sold.