PDA

View Full Version : Tire recommendation (clearance issue)

sokyroadie
06-20-2014, 08:20 AM
Ok,
I have a Co-Motion carbon fork for LR brakes on a rough road bike and have a clearance issue with Grand Bois Cypres 32mm tires. I only have .025” clearance on the side between the fork leg and the tire, there is tons of clearance above. I have ridden it a couple of hundred miles and no rub on the paint yet, but it is just too tight. I would like to run the largest tire possible, hopefully 30mm wide, which would more than double the clearance assuming it actually measures 30mm. I am using 23mm wide Hed rims and the GB measures 32mm wide.

I don’t really want to fight with Challenge tires unless that is my best bet. I am considering some of the Compass 28mm tires also.
If anyone has any recommendations and real world measurements of tires on 23mm wide rims it would be greatly appreciated.
I have read most of the tire threads and of course everyone has their favorite, the GB EL Cypres is an amazing ride and will be moved to a bike with more clearance.

Jeff

JAGI410
06-20-2014, 08:33 AM
Your "rough road" bike doesn't fit 32s comfortably? I think you need a new bike. Buying a bike around a certain tire is not crazy at all, see the example of the Grand Bois Hetre!

sandyrs
06-20-2014, 08:44 AM
Your "rough road" bike doesn't fit 32s comfortably? I think you need a new bike. Buying a bike around a certain tire is not crazy at all, see the example of the Grand Bois Hetre!

Well, if you're not planning to buy a new bike ;) , I would suggest the Grand Bois one size down. They ride so nicely and the tire on a wide rim will be wider than 28mm.

ColonelJLloyd
06-20-2014, 09:29 AM
I think you'll be happy with the 28mm offerings from Compass or Grand Bois.

32s are perfect for me (I use both Cypress and the Stampede Pass), but I'm running the 26mm Cerf EL on my Serotta and those are super nice tires and feel great.

donevwil
06-20-2014, 11:47 AM
I think you'll be happy with the 28mm offerings from Compass or Grand Bois.

32s are perfect for me (I use both Cypress and the Stampede Pass), but I'm running the 26mm Cerf EL on my Serotta and those are super nice tires and feel great.

I agree with the Colonel, I'm 230 and the Cypres is perfect because it's a true 32 in L and W. Either 28 offering should be wonderful and likely still larger than many other brand 32s.

Colonel, how does the ride/handling of the Stampede Pass compare to the standard Cypres ?

jds108
06-20-2014, 11:57 AM

It's not the bike, just the fork as I understand it. And there just aren't many options for forks with good clearance (and at a reasonable price + reasonably attractive).

There are other forks that have the same problem that the OP has with the current fork. Bontrager Satellite and one of the Deda forks have the same issue (plenty of height but not enough side clearance.)

I'd love to say which fork is the best, but I'm not sure. I'm going to try a Kinesis, but that's for short reach brakes - at least they say it's optimized for that configuration.

sokyroadie
06-20-2014, 12:09 PM
It's not the bike, just the fork as I understand it. And there just aren't many options for forks with good clearance (and at a reasonable price + reasonably attractive).

There are other forks that have the same problem that the OP has with the current fork. Bontrager Satellite and one of the Deda forks have the same issue (plenty of height but not enough side clearance.)

I'd love to say which fork is the best, but I'm not sure. I'm going to try a Kinesis, but that's for short reach brakes - at least they say it's optimized for that configuration.

That is correct, I could have had the builder make a steel fork but wanted carbon for the weight savings on this bike. You can see how tight it is here.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=144479&highlight=quiring
There is plenty of room for larger on the rear.

Jeff

sokyroadie
06-20-2014, 12:26 PM
I just ordered these:

(2) Compass Chinook Pass 700C x 28 mm Extralight tire (Black)

Will report on the actual size.

Thanks for the replys.

Jeff

ColonelJLloyd
06-20-2014, 01:10 PM
I'm sure you made an excellent choice. I love your bike, man. I'd like to replace 2 of my bikes with something just like that.

One option (I know you've already ordered) might be to use a 32mm in the rear and 28mm in the front. Seems perfectly logical since that's about how the weight is distributed. The difference between the two is surely small enough as to not affect the geometry in any meaningful way.

Colonel, how does the ride/handling of the Stampede Pass compare to the standard Cypres ?

I only just got the Stampede Pass, but as far as I can tell so far I'm confident I couldn't tell the difference between the Stampede pass and non-EL Cypres.