PDA

View Full Version : Head Tube Muck

Splash
06-20-2014, 04:58 AM
What is this muck on the head tube of this bianchi oltre xr frame?

it grows every time i ride the bike.

didn't want to clean it off until i took some pictures and posted them on here...

splash

Joachim
06-20-2014, 05:29 AM
Best...thread....ever.

Well if it grows in the biological sense of the word, thats weird. Your frame will probably need antibiotics or an anti- fungal.

If you see it after the ride, it's probably dirt mixed with brake pad residue, grease, oil, sweat etc etc. (Dirt in this sense can mean soil, asphalt and numerous other particles found on roads). Clean your bike.

mktng
06-20-2014, 06:21 AM
Grease from bearings or headtube + brake dust + dirt in the air/on the road getting kicked up. This ain't so bad. Can't expect the bike to stay 100% after a ride.

jr59
06-20-2014, 06:25 AM
dirt????:banana:

rustychisel
06-20-2014, 06:32 AM
we call Head Tube Muck 'snot'

oldpotatoe
06-20-2014, 06:45 AM
What is this muck on the head tube of the head tube of this bianchi oltre xr frame?

it grows every time i ride the bike.

didn't want to clean it off until i took some pictures and posted them on here...

splash

Italian based biological material, imported then infused onto the headtube..it doesn't blossom until the Celeste paint comes in contact with the sunlight and also the wind...

-otherwise known as road dirt.

shovelhd
06-20-2014, 06:48 AM
It's the special grease leaking out if the micro ball bearings in your SR brake calipers. You better get that looked at or your front brake could lock up.

oldpotatoe
06-20-2014, 08:05 AM
It's the special grease leaking out if the micro ball bearings in your SR brake calipers. You better get that looked at or your front brake could lock up.

Need a smiley with that....

Splash
06-20-2014, 08:12 AM
Glad you liked it....:-)

i don't understand why my other bianchi did not get this dirty on the same part of the frame - riding in the same area on the same road at the same time, etc....?

I also thought it could have been remnants of the bearings/seals inside my head tube??

SPlash

sandyrs
06-20-2014, 08:43 AM
Glad you liked it....:-)

i don't understand why my other bianchi did not get this dirty on the same part of the frame - riding in the same area on the same road at the same time, etc....?

I also thought it could have been remnants of the bearings/seals inside my head tube??

SPlash

The grease is probably from the headset, yup :)

lhuerta
06-20-2014, 08:57 AM
...use 409 and clean up the excess grease on calipers and the residue squeezing out of ur lower headset bearing. All that excess is just attracting ambient dust/dirt and brake shoe dust.

mktng
06-20-2014, 08:58 AM
You don't want to see my bikes. CF riders won't have this problem, but my steel bikes are all frame saved. After one or two long rides. ...... It's just gross. Haha

shovelhd
06-20-2014, 08:59 AM
Need a smiley with that....

:)

Splash
06-20-2014, 09:06 AM
A chore for tomorrow....

...... :banana:

SPlash

Thanks guys!