PDA

View Full Version : Campy Front Shifter ?

Waldo
06-19-2014, 11:54 PM
Is it possible to friction-alize a Campy Ergo front shifter? I get chain/front derailleur rub in too many click positions for my liking, so I'm wondering if you can get rid of the detents and get the shifter to act like a friction shifter?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtakeda
06-19-2014, 11:56 PM
Sounds like you've adjusted your FD improperly. Those clicks in the campy ergo lever are pretty small.

ceolwulf
06-20-2014, 12:05 AM
I have sometimes wished the same thing with my early 10-speed Veloce, which shifts from big to small in one click.

jtakeda
06-20-2014, 12:10 AM
Hmmmm. What shifters are you running?

The lowest level I've used is centaur century gray.

Other than that it's chorus or record. Sometimes it takes 1.5 lever throws to get to big ring

Waldo
06-20-2014, 01:54 AM
Running Centaur 10.

Ralph
06-20-2014, 06:24 AM
I have a Centaur 10 FD on one of my bikes, with Centaur 10 shifter, Centaur 10's cassette, on a Centaur 39/52 crankset. I can run the whole cassette with large or small chainring without touching or trimming FD. Slight rub on small to small, which of course I never use. Tight FD cable, 3 clicks to upshift. Instant shift, kinda like flipping a switch. Would suggest you look at FD and cable adjustment.

oldpotatoe
06-20-2014, 06:34 AM
Is it possible to friction-alize a Campy Ergo front shifter? I get chain/front derailleur rub in too many click positions for my liking, so I'm wondering if you can get rid of the detents and get the shifter to act like a friction shifter?

Thanks!

Nope...

paredown
06-20-2014, 07:35 AM

Thanks!

Are you riding an especially small frame?

I was trying to imagine the possibilities, aside from better adjustment, and wondered if it could be the combination of very short stays and the 10 spd narrow cage. If so, you could always find an earlier generation 8 speed front and try that.

thwart
06-20-2014, 10:14 AM
Sometimes it takes 1.5 lever throws to get to big ring

Shouldn't, if you have it set up correctly.

Actually, front shifting, the ability to trim as needed, is one of the (many) advantages of Campy over its rivals.

IMO. :)

jtakeda
06-20-2014, 10:20 AM
Shouldn't, if you have it set up correctly.

Actually, front shifting, the ability to trim as needed, is one of the (many) advantages of Campy over its rivals.

IMO. :)

I have a really crappy left wrist from an accident.

I can't push it all the way without discomfort in my wrist. On the stand it's one big push. On the road it's two medium pushes.

thwart
06-20-2014, 10:24 AM

I can't push it all the way without discomfort in my wrist. On the stand it's one big push. On the road it's two medium pushes.
Got it.

Sorry to hear about the wrist.

Ralph
06-20-2014, 10:44 AM
Make the cable tight so you're not just taking up slack with some of the lever movement.
I do a lot of wrenching on my riding buddies bikes, and see that complaint all the time. Just make the FD cable tight, almost to be point of the snugness being the FD stop (just short of that), and you'll be amazed how little wrist movement it takes to make the front shift. The new Campy hood design levers shift faster also. Hopefully you have some adjustable cable stops on frame, or inline in the cable housing.

thirdgenbird
06-20-2014, 10:56 AM
x2 on the tight cable. If makes a big difference.

oldpotatoe
06-20-2014, 05:02 PM

Thanks!

Another thought is if ya a downtube shifter boss, put a DT shifter there ala LA and Pantani....

thirdgenbird
06-20-2014, 05:07 PM
Another thought is if ya a downtube shifter boss, put a DT shifter there ala LA and Pantani....

Jan did it too.

Waldo
06-20-2014, 05:35 PM

Yeah, that's my issue also--broke left wrist three months ago. Finding that Shimano and SRAM are physically easier to shift than Campy.

thirdgenbird
06-20-2014, 05:37 PM
Maybe try a 6800 FD. It was done on another forum. They said it worked.

oldpotatoe
06-20-2014, 05:45 PM
Maybe try a 6800 FD. It was done on another forum. They said it worked.

Should work with the non positional Centaur ratcheting friction LH shifter. Long arm = more leverage.

beeatnik
06-20-2014, 05:48 PM
I have a Centaur 10 FD on one of my bikes, with Centaur 10 shifter, Centaur 10's cassette, on a Centaur 39/52 crankset. I can run the whole cassette with large or small chainring without touching or trimming FD. Slight rub on small to small, which of course I never use. Tight FD cable, 3 clicks to upshift. Instant shift, kinda like flipping a switch. Would suggest you look at FD and cable adjustment.

That's the way it works for me.

oliver1850
06-20-2014, 06:36 PM
It's not clear which era Centaur Ergos you have. The "good" lever with 11 clicks was used until 2006.

The QS Centaur FDs have a longer cable attachment arm above the pivot point. This should make for less effort at the lever with the older 11 click Ergo levers, and have the effect of making the clicks seem finer than with the original FD. When I shift the front with the 11 click shifter, it takes 4 clicks typically, sometimes 3 if it's been trimmed one click. This with a non-QS FD. I haven't tried a QS FD with that shifter, but may take 5 with a QS. I think 5 clicks is the max with one throw of the paddle, but if range of motion isn't your limiting factor - a QS FD may help lessen the effort needed. I can send one if you want to try it.

GeorgeTSquirrel
06-21-2014, 12:27 AM
Should work with the non positional Centaur ratcheting friction LH shifter. Long arm = more leverage.

If the issue is having a longer arm, then OP might as well use the adapter that Campy made to use the shorter armed 2009 Centaur FD with the Centaur QS Ergo. http://www.amazon.com/Campagnolo-Front-Derailleur-Cable-Shifters/dp/B002SQZ3LA

For that matter, do we know what combination of shifter and FD is being used, and that they are in fact the proper match?

ultraman6970
06-21-2014, 01:53 AM
That;s because they were using shimano :P

oldpotatoe
06-21-2014, 06:42 AM

Maybe not Pantani, don't remember but the Kaiser did...but yep, with the 8/9s STI, and these guys doing the big-big dance..nice to get rid of chainrub.

thirdgenbird
06-21-2014, 10:10 AM

Jan occasionally ran a front downtube with campy shifters. I've seen pictures that show it very clearly. This was e same era he used the pointy ergo bodies with 10spd internals and carbon levers.