PDA

View Full Version : OT: visiting D.C.

malcolm
06-19-2014, 11:19 AM
A friend an I are taking our 13 year old daughters to D.C. next week for 5 days. We'll do the commonly known stuff, smithsonian, museum of art holocost museum.

What do folks in the know recommend for two old guys with 13 year old daughters ?? To see/do and what would be some good restaurants for all of us, beer is a must.

Have tickets for the orioles and rays, so one day is taken care of.

Thanks

mcteague
06-19-2014, 11:26 AM
Prepare for high humidity!

Tim

avalonracing
06-19-2014, 11:28 AM
Well when you are in Baltimore seeing the O's with the girls you may want to grab a little local color and flavor (and beer) up in the Hampden area (about 10 min north of the downtown tourist stuff).

Try:
http://bmorebirroteca.com/

http://www.thefoodmarketbaltimore.com/

and for some local ice cream (yes they have Old Bay Flavor ice cream- I love Old Bay but it DOES NOT belong in ice cream)
http://thecharmery.com/

malcolm
06-19-2014, 11:37 AM
Prepare for high humidity!

Tim

Walk in the park, we are coming from central Alabama.

Mr. Pink
06-19-2014, 11:41 AM
Vietnam War Memorial is powerful. Never fails to get me.

It is damn hot there. Really really hot.

Avoid the Harbor side thing after you leave the Oriole's game. No character, and bad food. Go over to Fells Point, or, yeah, Hampden is probably the coolest neighborhood in Baltimore right now, although a hike from Camden Yards.

Eat crab.

mcteague
06-19-2014, 11:44 AM
Visit Great Falls park, awesome waterfalls. Used to kayak around there years ago. The VA side offers better views IMO.

http://www.nps.gov/grfa/index.htm

Tim

shovelhd
06-19-2014, 11:45 AM
Spend some time in Georgetown. Lots of little shops and restaurants. There's a three story indoor mall if you need a break from the heat. There's also outdoor dining down by the river walk. It's fun to watch the Marine choppers follow the river. There's a dumpling joint near there that is very good but I can't remember the name.

witcombusa
06-19-2014, 11:46 AM
Remember that it's all an illusion...

paredown
06-19-2014, 11:46 AM
The Smithsonian (any of the multiple buildings) is great!

The National Gallery is the best collection and free like the rest of the Smithsonian.

I got a big kick out of seeing the Declaration of Independence--in the National Archives. Often a line, but worth it. There are some must-sees on the Mall, including the Vietnam memorial and and the newish FDR memorial, and if course Lincoln & Thomas Jefferson memorials.

DC Metro is great and easy to navigate--you can get over to the Pentagon by Metro and see the new 911 memorial and/or Arlington cemetery.

I also think a walk through either Old Town Alexandria and/or Georgetown is a great way to spend some time. Old Town can be reached by Metro if you don't want to drive. Lots of great little stores and craft-type shops in the Old Torpedo factory in lower Alexandria (on the river).

Lower Georgetown (close to the river) also has an enclosed mall, great small stores on the street and there are river walks. Georgetown University campus (mid Georgetown) is beautiful, too. One of my personal favorites is in upper Georgetown--the Dumbarton Oaks house and garden (http://www.doaks.org/)--recently named one of the world's ten best gardens by National Geographic, and the site of the conference that helped set up the UN. The gardens back up to Rock Creek park--good for a drive or walk; bottom of Rock Creek and you are close to the Watergate and the Kennedy Center.

A short drive south of Alexandria takes you to George Washington's house, Mount Vernon (http://www.mountvernon.org/)--worth a visit and in the same general area is another wonderful colonial era house, Woodlawn (http://www.woodlawnpopeleighey.org/), with a Frank Lloyd Wright house on the same property.

I could say more, but that should get you started... I think it is all about exploring the roots of America, including the Civil war era stuff.

maj
06-19-2014, 11:51 AM
The Holocaust Museum and walking through Arlington National Cemetary were the two most stirring expeiences for me.

cderalow
06-19-2014, 12:16 PM
I'd suggest making a whole day of baltimore, hit the aquarium in the morning and then go to the game.

You might want to skip the holocaust museum as it can be a bit much (and depressing) for an early teenager - last time I was there there were two tours available; one for younger audiences and one for mature audiences that can be quite graphic

personally I'd opt to go out to dulles to see the udvar hazy air & space museum. you have to pay for parking, but it's got a much neater collection of stuff than the one on the mall.

if you can get tickets to the newly reopened washington monument, that's worth the view from the top.

also check out the spy museum & ford's theater while you're here.

gasman
06-19-2014, 12:48 PM
I'd second the warning about the Holocaust museum. Unless the 13 yo girls can handle a graphic look at a horrible time in history. My eyes were sweating as I left and I've seen a lot of suffering in my career. I didn't know they had a kids tour but that might be worth considering.

FastforaSlowGuy
06-19-2014, 01:09 PM
Spy Museum. Gotta book online in advance, not cheap, but great fun for all ages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsimon
06-19-2014, 01:10 PM
if your going to be here for a few days pay for the Red Bikes public transportation way easier than walking.....

tiretrax
06-19-2014, 01:41 PM
I lived there for 5 years, and I had a lot of visitors. Metro has one day tickets. Scandal bus tour is fun. Congress is a must. White House tickets are hard to obtain, if they're doing tours again. Try to get a night bus tour of the city.

The Meriwheather Post Museum should be interesting for the girls. I think it's in proximity to the National Zoo, as well.

Taste in art varies - I like the Hirschorn - Smithsonian, so it's on the south side of the mall with the American Indian, Air & Space, Sachler, African, and Renwick. Also nearby are Holocaust and National Mint. On the north side is the Natural History Museum. It's a must see - has the Hope Diamond. That side also has the two National Gallery museums, the Newseum, Archives, and a few other great Smithsonian buildings (16 or more in DC).

If you can swing it, Arlington National Cemetary.

What I remember most from my childhood visit when I was 7 - Mint, FBI, Capitol, Arlington NC, and the buildings.

Be prepared to walk 5-7 miles, at least, each day.

bcroslin
06-19-2014, 01:57 PM
Fun thing to do with kids is go to the top of the clock tower in the old post office by the Reagan cafeteria. The botanical gardens right near the capitol are beautiful but I'm a sucker of that kind of thing. Adams Morgan is a fun neighborhood to visit and there is a killer little restaurant called Teaism not far from Dupont circle.

Air and Space museum is a must if you've never been and National Geographic usually has some amazing photo exhibits up. Nat Geo is near Dupont Circle as well.

MattTuck
06-19-2014, 02:11 PM
I used to visit D.C. quite a bit. One of the things that I enjoyed was walking around the Dupont Circle area and seeing all the embassies. I think with the exception of maybe Iran and a few others, every country has an embassy in D.C. So if they have a favorite country (aside from the U.S.) you can atleast go look at the embassy.

Another thing you way want to try is the national gallery of art.

Mr. Pink
06-19-2014, 02:32 PM
I used to visit D.C. quite a bit. One of the things that I enjoyed was walking around the Dupont Circle area and seeing all the embassies. I think with the exception of maybe Iran and a few others, every country has an embassy in D.C. So if they have a favorite country (aside from the U.S.) you can atleast go look at the embassy.

Another thing you way want to try is the national gallery of art.

Not exactly a family thing, but, one thing that makes DC scenery so nice is "girls of the world", as a buddy who lived there called it. Gorgeous girls from all over the world (and America) doing their intern thing, walking around and spicing things up. Very nice. High female to male ratio when the sun goes down.

The national gallery of art is a very good collection. Good to see my tax dollars at work.

flydhest
06-19-2014, 02:43 PM
So, I live in the middle of DC and my grandparents moved to the District in the '30s, so I am happy to talk about my home town as much as you like, either here or in a pm.

For your specific question about eating and beer. Everyone (I think) loves pizza and teenagers especially. Pizzeria Paradiso has a great combination of good pizza straight from a real oven with a stupendously wonderful beer program. They train the servers and especially the bartenders about beer, and you can always ask for a taste of what is on tap. Usually a dozen or more on tap, and always a cask-conditioned ale. Bottom of the chalk board for the cask. There is one at 20th and P Street in Dupont Circle and one in Georgetown (as well as one in Alexandria, but I am a District snob, so I try not to cross the river :) )

13 is a tough age, are there things you daughter is particularly into? The museums you can peruse online to get an idea of what's there. The Botanic Gardens are pretty cool, but maybe not for the average 13 year old. Similarly quirky cool would be the National Arboretum and the Franciscan Monastery. Off the beaten path.

Despite being a DC snob, the recommendation for a good chunk of a day in Baltimore is a good one. Similarly, Annapolis is not too far away, but I never think of it as all that interesting.

The Mall is open at night, and is worth doing. The Lincoln Memorial at night is cool, and the Vietnam and Korean Memorials are close by. Pretty mainstream, though. The Jefferson at night is a little less mainstream and has an interesting view of the city.

The recommendation for Great Falls is another good one, and I will climb down from my horse to agree that the VA side has better views, in general.

The Capital Bikeshare bikes are a great way to see a lot of the city, especially downtown where it is largely flat(ish).

If your daughter is not used to big cities, U Street and 14th Street area could be fun for gawking at those crazy city people. Plus, it is the current hot spot in the District for restaurants and such.

Also off the beaten path a bit, the Mint and the Bureau of Engraving and Printing give tours to the public. Kinda quirky fun since everyone uses money.

enr1co
06-19-2014, 03:00 PM
Make a pit stop at Bens chili bowl for a couple half smokes and chili fries!

djg
06-19-2014, 07:12 PM
A friend an I are taking our 13 year old daughters to D.C. next week for 5 days. We'll do the commonly known stuff, smithsonian, museum of art holocost museum.

What do folks in the know recommend for two old guys with 13 year old daughters ?? To see/do and what would be some good restaurants for all of us, beer is a must.

Have tickets for the orioles and rays, so one day is taken care of.

Thanks

Pizza (and beer) in DC: I still like Pizza Paradiso (Dupont area and Georgetown) and, in Arlington, I love me the Puppatella. The best bagels in the area also are in Arlington (Brooklyn Bagel), but they don't serve beer.

If they like BBQ -- Hill Country on 7th -- a little downtown spendy for bbq, and it's not Goode in Houston maybe, but it's really pretty good, and it's not crazy expensive, at least not for downtown.

Somewhat modernish but good deli food at DGS near Dupont Circle.

Fabulous (but 'spensive) Indian food at Rasika. Crazy good ramen behind the Verizon Center, but it's gotten too popular and who in the hell wants to wait in line for an hour in the heat for ramen?

What kind of restaurants do they like? My 12 year old kids like DC Taco, and I do too, but it's not what I'd call awesome, or a destination Taco restaurant (whatever that is) -- just fresh and tasty.

If the 13 y.o. daughters like art, there's the National Gallery, but there's also the Phillips, the Corcoran, the Portrait Gallery, Freer, etc. -- worth poking around. If they like planes and spaceships we have two air and space museums (one in DC, one out by Dulles).

If they like hiking, maybe head up to Great Falls -- it's a cool nearly-in-town spot; and if they like riding a bit, you could rent bikes and ride up there. Or canoes can be rented at Fletcher's Boat House, by the C & O Canal.

flydhest
06-19-2014, 07:49 PM
I heart djg.

bikinchris
06-19-2014, 08:04 PM
The Newseum. Takes two days. Not free, but your pass is good for...2 days. There is a free concert every single day somewhere in DC. Check online. Also, the drill at the Marine Memorial is cool. And Twilight Tattoo on the ellipse. Don't be scared to take one of those tourist trains that goes from the mall to Arlington.
Touring the monuments at night is great. There are tours for that.

Don't even think of driving. Driving DC is a joke. Parking is way beyond a nightmare. Take METRO everywhere. Day or week passes are cheap.

If your girls are real geeks, take a tour of the Naval Observatory and see the official clock of the US. www.time.gov Drive to that tour or take a taxi, you get out very late.

Here is a D.C. gallery:
http://www.eaglewheel.us/wash.htm

djg
06-19-2014, 09:08 PM
I heart djg.

well, there's no accounting for taste, but flydhest knows all, or at least a great deal, so for this I'm grateful, and reciprocal.

rounder
06-19-2014, 11:03 PM
For sightseeing in D.C., I like to go to the mall to see the museums and the monuments. The Washington monument just opened again after being closed for three years for earthquake damage. If you like baseball, you might go to a Nationals game. They have some good players and are getting better.

In Baltimore, Fells Point is a good place to go. It is one of the oldest parts of the City. It is a heavy bar scene at night, but in the day it is fun to walk around...lots of restaurants and cobble stone streets. You can catch a water taxi and ride around to the Inner Harbor, Fort McHenry, etc.

tuxbailey
06-20-2014, 01:24 AM
Newseum is a great suggestion. You can easily spend two days there if the the kids are even remotely interested in current events.

Air and Space museum, but specially the Udvar-Hazy at Dulles, VA where you can see the Space Shuttle and the SR-71.

The Zoo! Pandas are cool, for kids and adults.

Baltimore is great. Aquarium as well as the Maryland Science Center across the harbor. Great place for kids and teenagers.

The National Cathedral is quite impressive, and visit Two Amys nearby for great pizza.

Georgetown is cool visit, grab some cupcakes.

If you have time, look up those bike tours where you can rent mountain bikes for the day and then bike from the Lincoln Memorial to Mt. Vernon, through Alexandria via the Mt. Vernon trail. Mt. Vernon has a very nice museum as well.

Hope this helps.

malcolm
06-20-2014, 08:53 AM
Awesome, thanks.

These are typical 13 year old girls except one is vegetarian, they both love pizza and of course cup cakes and who doesn't love a good bagel.

Mr. Pink
06-20-2014, 09:09 AM
Don't even think of driving. Driving DC is a joke. Parking is way beyond a nightmare. Take METRO everywhere. Day or week passes are cheap.

Also, DC is saturated with speed cams.

josephr
06-20-2014, 09:39 AM
We took the family a few years ago---
1) Call Spencer Bachus' office (even though I'm not a fan of his politics) but they were super helpful in getting us in for the White House tour (not really worth it...but good to go once) and he had one of his interns give us a personal tour of the Capitol building which was pretty cool...which is a lot better than having to stand in lines and go through Security.
2) We did a bike tour of the Mall --- they didn't have the Red Bikes when we were there so we booked/rented through a tourist group...either way, biking it is much, much better than hiking.
3) Mt. Vernon - awesome! Go early in the a.m.
4) +1 on Arlington Cemetery
a) If the girls are Girl Scouts, the can participate in a flag ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Still, a changing of the guard is a must.
b) There's a field just to the north side of Arlington where the USMC Drill Corp runs a full military drill function - complete with throwing rifles and stuff. I think they do it once/twice a week in the evening. Pretty cool.
5) Book your hotel near a Metro station. The Metro will get you close to most anywhere you want to go and you save a bit of $ by not staying in town. Plus the parking in any downtown area is a PITA. The hotel we stayed at was a few blocks away and could walk if you wanted, but they also ran a shuttle to the Metro station.

---our kids were smaller and budget was pretty tight, so didn't explore much of the food and beverage scene...but sounds like some great suggestions already!

Its a great tourist city! Have fun!!!
Joe

djg
06-20-2014, 09:50 AM
Awesome, thanks.

These are typical 13 year old girls except one is vegetarian, they both love pizza and of course cup cakes and who doesn't love a good bagel.

There's the fabled Georgetown Cupcakes (never been myself) and there's a place on 7th Street (near the spy museum and just up the street a few blocks from the national gallery called Red Velvet).

Veggie tends to be easy at any pizza place or most Asian options -- maybe at most places, really. Even the Hill Country brisket emporium does a nice salad, corn bread, mac & cheese, etc. I like Amsterdam Falafel in the Adams Morgan neighborhood (although I haven't been for a while) and I can have my oder kid ask her friend, Chloe the vegan, what she knows about downtown, if you want.

Mr. Pink
06-20-2014, 10:00 AM
If you visit Arlington. which, I agree, should be on your list (we took a bus there), be respectful. As we were walking up to the grave of the unknown soldier, a changing of the guard had just finished, and a lot of tourists were leaving, and, not very quietly. Everyone was quite shocked and humbled when the spit and polish Marine guarding the grave suddenly bellowed "PLEASE! BE RESPECTFUL OF THE DEAD AND BE QUIET!.......................................THANK YOU!" Boy, you could hear a pin drop.

I never knew until that day that Arlington was Lee's plantation, taken from his family (actually, it was his wife's before marriage) to create a cemetery for the Union dead. Check out the old Lee plantation houses at the top of the hill. Surprisingly small. Great view back to the city from there.

malcolm
06-20-2014, 10:05 AM
We took the family a few years ago---
1) Call Spencer Bachus' office (even though I'm not a fan of his politics) but they were super helpful in getting us in for the White House tour (not really worth it...but good to go once) and he had one of his interns give us a personal tour of the Capitol building which was pretty cool...which is a lot better than having to stand in lines and go through Security.
2) We did a bike tour of the Mall --- they didn't have the Red Bikes when we were there so we booked/rented through a tourist group...either way, biking it is much, much better than hiking.
3) Mt. Vernon - awesome! Go early in the a.m.
4) +1 on Arlington Cemetery
a) If the girls are Girl Scouts, the can participate in a flag ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Still, a changing of the guard is a must.
b) There's a field just to the north side of Arlington where the USMC Drill Corp runs a full military drill function - complete with throwing rifles and stuff. I think they do it once/twice a week in the evening. Pretty cool.
5) Book your hotel near a Metro station. The Metro will get you close to most anywhere you want to go and you save a bit of $ by not staying in town. Plus the parking in any downtown area is a PITA. The hotel we stayed at was a few blocks away and could walk if you wanted, but they also ran a shuttle to the Metro station.

---our kids were smaller and budget was pretty tight, so didn't explore much of the food and beverage scene...but sounds like some great suggestions already!

Its a great tourist city! Have fun!!!
Joe

Interesting several of those things were on our list and I'm in Birmingham so we did get in contact with Bachus' office and the intern was very helpful but we got an email a week ago that the white house visit was a no go. We joked that it was because my friends last name is Shah. I also got in touch with the folks for the Marine Corps silent drill team and we were too late for that as well, need about 6 weeks in advance. For all you DC folks if you've never seen the silent drill team it's worth a look they are awesome, ex-marine so I'm biased.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

bikinchris
06-20-2014, 10:08 AM
In Baltimore, take a water taxi from the inner harbor to Fort McHenry.

The Marines do the silent drill on Tuesday afternoons at dusk IIRC. In front of the Marine Memorial (formerly known as Iwo Jima Memorial). The one you asked about was at the Marine barracks. Standing room is always available around the field at Marine Memorial.

http://havecamerawilltravel.com/marine-corps-sunset-parade-iwo-jima-memorial

Those bayonets are not props.

If you want to tour the White House, you had better start asking at least 6 months ahead. That's why I didn't mention it.

Oops, I forgot my FAVORITE building in DC. The Thomas Jefferson building of the Library of Congress. Italian renaissance. Not to be missed. Came in before schedule and under budget. A rear rarity.

19wisconsin64
06-20-2014, 10:32 AM
great trip!

georgetown.....on the side streets is Baked and Wired...one of the best coffee shops and the best cupcakes

then....walk along the C&O canal...it's charming

if you want to take a twisty hike, go to the rock creek park, which goes from silver spring to the potomac, and you can pick it up along the way and hike

if you really like hiking, or have an hour or so to spend, go to the great falls area on the virginia side. it's amazing. the vistas, the traversing of trails....i ran on these trails as a kid in cross country for years

seriously, skip the hol. museum. maybe when they are older. how can i convince you..... well let's just say they have a large barbeque metal thing...that they ........... it's important history for sure (note-i'm jewish)

walk around the side streets, north of M street, so cute, beautiful, and historic part of the city and georgetown

if you have a car venture to Jackie's restaurant in Silver Spring, or the Parkway Deli...new school and old school excellent food

the smithsonian is huge, waaaay too much to see, maybe pick and choose vs. melting in the sun of dc

walk along the promenade along the potomac river, near the four season hotel

drive by the embassys (sp?) along embassy row...... because washington d.c. is by far the most beautiful city in america, and the you will see why! it's astonishing

i lived in the area for many years, and still go there quite a bit

enjoy, and bring your sun block! cheers

Ken Robb
06-20-2014, 11:38 AM
. Everyone was quite shocked and humbled when the spit and polish Marine guarding the grave suddenly bellowed "PLEASE! BE RESPECTFUL OF THE DEAD AND BE QUIET!.......................................THANK YOU!" Boy, you could hear a pin drop.

As far as I know the guards at The Tomb are US Army Soldiers of The Old Guard. Maybe his dress blue uniform fooled you?

Mr. Pink
06-20-2014, 11:47 AM
Hey, whatdoeyeknow. Sure was all spit and polish, though. Wasn't putting up with disrespect, either.

josephr
06-20-2014, 11:57 AM
Interesting several of those things were on our list and I'm in Birmingham so we did get in contact with Bachus' office and the intern was very helpful but we got an email a week ago that the white house visit was a no go. We joked that it was because my friends last name is Shah. I also got in touch with the folks for the Marine Corps silent drill team and we were too late for that as well, need about 6 weeks in advance. For all you DC folks if you've never seen the silent drill team it's worth a look they are awesome, ex-marine so I'm biased.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

as bikincris confirmed, that's the one I'm talking about....not the silent drill in the barracks. its an open park area...take chairs or blankets and snacks!

the WH tour is hit-and-miss depending on who's visiting the Prez. Ours was cancelled/rescheduled a few times. I really wasn't impressed by the WH tour but at least its one of those things I can say I've done. The tour of the Capitol building is the one you want though!
Joe

batman1425
06-20-2014, 11:58 AM
If you go to Georgetown Cupcakes, be prepared to wait 30min-1hr. My wife is nuts about cupcakes so we did. I will say they were quite delicious but a bit spendy for what they are.

I'll echo the be ready to walk. We walked 14 miles on our big Mall - Museum - Monument hopping day.

I really liked the American History Museum. Geeked out seeing Washington's uniforms, Lincoln's Top Hat, industrial revolution steam engines and electrical components. My Wife loved the collection of First Ladies' Inauguration gowns and old medical instruments (she's an MD).

So much good stuff to do. Make sure you have water on hand with the heat and I would suggest you have bottles or camel backs as well. Food/liquids of any kind are painfully expensive in the museums so having something you can fill at a water fountain is a plus.

redir
06-20-2014, 01:01 PM
I lived there for 5 years. There is tons of stuff to see and do. I have not been to the new Air and Space museum though, is there a shuttle that goes out to it? Because I would highly recommend NOT renting a car and would dare say it's not worth going to the Air and Space museum if it requires one. As a geologist my favorite museum is the National Museum of Natural History.

The Washington monument is a bit overrated. You will spend hours waiting in line. If you fly into National you will get a good aerial view of the city.

malcolm
06-20-2014, 01:42 PM
as bikincris confirmed, that's the one I'm talking about....not the silent drill in the barracks. its an open park area...take chairs or blankets and snacks!

the WH tour is hit-and-miss depending on who's visiting the Prez. Ours was cancelled/rescheduled a few times. I really wasn't impressed by the WH tour but at least its one of those things I can say I've done. The tour of the Capitol building is the one you want though!
Joe

unfortunately we are not getting there till Wednesday. I remember the silent drill team from an event they performed at when I was still in the corps. It's an amazing thing to watch especially when you consider it's all timing and no verbal commands.

I see you are a coffee guy, have you been to seeds in Homewood??

stev0
06-20-2014, 01:52 PM
+1 for Arlington national cemetery. I went to DC a lot as a youngin', and Arlington really left a vivid imprint in my mind. A bit more impactful than large statues of dead presidents.

Huge fan of the Udvar-Hazy Hangar in VA which houses the bulk of the National Air/Space Museum's collection of aircraft - but I get excited by things that fly.

Lastly.. Huge Ethiopian community in D.C. means it's a great chance to introduce your girls (and yourself?) to Ethiopian food. I haven't been in a few years so I'm not sure which restaurant is best, but you'd be hard pressed to find better/wider selection of Ethiopian restaurants in any US metro area. A quick survey of yelp suggests that this (http://www.yelp.com/biz/keren-restaurant-washington) is a well regarded one. (a grain of salt, like any other yelp recommendations) . They won't have beer but they will have honey wine and maybe even fresh roasted coffee at the table.

Hope you have fun! family trips can be stressful.

flydhest
06-20-2014, 06:45 PM
For Ethiopian, Etete at 9th and U or Labilela at 14th and P.

That said, several others around U Street and on 18th in Adams Morgan.

and most have beer.