PDA

View Full Version : Seatpost slipping........

cinelli
02-21-2006, 09:02 AM
I have tried the folks over at the Calfee forum, so now I am seeking advice from the Serotta loyalists. I have a Calfee Tetra Pro that has a seatpost slipping problem. I have had two other Tetras with the same Campagnolo Record carbon seatpost setup and no slippage (is slippage a word?).

I have cleaned the seatpost with alcohol along with the inner sleeve of the seat tube. No luck.

I know there are some Calfee riders on this forum, so hopefully someone will have a cure. Please don't suggest a Thomson post. They make great products, but just don't cut the aesthetics test IMHO.

Thanks for your help.

Serotta_Andrew
02-21-2006, 09:11 AM
I have tried the folks over at the Calfee forum, so now I am seeking advice from the Serotta loyalists. I have a Calfee Tetra Pro that has a seatpost slipping problem. I have had two other Tetras with the same Campagnolo Record carbon seatpost setup and no slippage (is slippage a word?).

I have cleaned the seatpost with alcohol along with the inner sleeve of the seat tube. No luck.

I know there are some Calfee riders on this forum, so hopefully someone will have a cure. Please don't suggest a Thomson post. They make great products, but just don't cut the aesthetics test IMHO.

Thanks for your help.

Measure the Campy post, they vary greatly from 27.2 to 27.1 to 27.0 etc....

Too Tall
02-21-2006, 09:11 AM
Have you taken a set of micrometers to the post in question and measured it in in several spots where it clamps? Do the same inside your frame. Your seatpost may be nominally under sized.

PeterW
02-21-2006, 09:15 AM
I had a problem with an undersized Campy post. Had to wrench the binder bolt past the point of comfort to get it to stay put. Replaced it with 2-bolt Nitto. PERFECT FIT. Just a couple turns on the binder bolt.

Sorry, this doesn't help you situation, but Campy posts can vary IME.

Dude
02-21-2006, 09:54 AM
Alright here we go...slipping post.

1. new seatpost collar (usually the most successful, fastest and if the shop is charging per hour, the cheapest solution)
2. alum. shim
3. rough up post/inside of seat tube
4. Rough up shim/post/inside of seat tube
5. Hairspray (works every time but you will have to reapply.) Just apply a coat to the post, let it dry. Repeat process 4 or more times and insert as usual. Trust me, it works.
6. New post, the thomson works well because it is textured.

Hope all of that helps. I'd start with a new collar and go from there.

cinelli
02-21-2006, 10:59 AM
Alright here we go...slipping post.

1. new seatpost collar (usually the most successful, fastest and if the shop is charging per hour, the cheapest solution)
2. alum. shim
3. rough up post/inside of seat tube
4. Rough up shim/post/inside of seat tube
5. Hairspray (works every time but you will have to reapply.) Just apply a coat to the post, let it dry. Repeat process 4 or more times and insert as usual. Trust me, it works.
6. New post, the thomson works well because it is textured.

Hope all of that helps. I'd start with a new collar and go from there.

1. Tried three different collars....no luck.
2. Shim won't work...Calfee has a fiberglass sleeve inside the seat tube.
3. See number 2.
4. Tried to roughen up seat post.....no luck.
5. Hairspray? Worth a shot.
6. Thompson - No setback = ugly....Thompson - w/setback = bent...IMHO.

Thanks for the suggestions.

cinelli
02-21-2006, 11:03 AM
Measure the Campy post, they vary greatly from 27.2 to 27.1 to 27.0 etc....

Tullio never made a mistake. It must be 27.2 or it would never leave the factory...at least that is what I have always been told!

Seriously, so carbon posts vary that much?

fjaws
02-21-2006, 11:13 AM
Seriously, so carbon posts vary that much?

Only Campy ones! :D

mflaherty37
02-21-2006, 11:21 AM
get more metal

Too Tall
02-21-2006, 12:10 PM
Dude, check the measures!!! I'm sure it will fit somebody's bike.

vaxn8r
02-21-2006, 03:51 PM
I've tried just about everything and the one product which finally worked is Tacx Carbon Fiber Assembly Compound. Apply it to a perfectly clean and dry seat post, wait until tacky and insert it, tighten and forget it.

It works...available at you better bike store :)

dave thompson
02-21-2006, 04:01 PM

Thanks for your help.
Rod, Rod, Rod. If you'd switch over to Shimano, you wouldn't have this problem. (when's the last time you saw a thread about a Shimano seatpost slipping?) :D

If in fact your seatpost is slightly undersized and you're stuck with it (the seatpost) you need something to fill the space between the seat tube and post. On the one occasion that I had a slipping post, powdered rosin was recommended and worked very well for me. An on-the-road fix would be to use sugar instead.