PDA

View Full Version : Taking a family trip to Breckenridge CO, need good routes, bikes

stien
06-17-2014, 04:55 PM
So my family is taking us to Breckenridge, and we plan to do some mountain and road biking while we're there. I would love some good ideas for riding, dining, and if anyone has any bikes they want to rent out to us, that would be sick too! Of course there are shops that rent I bet.

Pretty excited to take a cycling vacation.

John Price
06-17-2014, 05:21 PM
Haven't ridden around there but I HIGHLY recommend the Columbine for breakfast - order the corn beef hash. Also, bring cash - they don't take cards.

John

Ralph
06-17-2014, 05:44 PM
I've been there several times. For family riding, there is a paved trail from Breck to Frisco, on to Copper Mtn, then on to Vail if you are so inclined. Did that once with my family, and rode the bus back to Frisco. Some families hitch a ride on a shuttle to Vail pass with their bikes, and ride (coast) mostly down hill back to Frisco.

For more serious riding, road and mtn, which there is lots of, some others will chime in. Several places around to rent bikes. Us Florida folks had a tough time riding hard at 8000-9000 feet. Consider the altitude, depending on where you're coming from. It's a wonderful area to visit.

Ralph
06-17-2014, 06:07 PM
http://www.mountainviewsports.com/vail-pass-bike-shuttle

Families love to do this. Not serious riding.

Ralph
06-17-2014, 06:15 PM
http://canyonbikes.com/ For your next trip West.

Visit Glenwood Springs....W of Vail. Doc Holiday buried here.

My family loved riding down the Glenwood Canyon Trail on rented bikes. Believe about 16 miles, mostly down hill. Shuttle took us to top. My next trip there, going to ride the trail from Glenwood Springs over to Aspen and back. A decent distance ride. One could do the Glenwood Canyon on a day trip from Breck. http://www.traillink.com/trail/glenwood-canyon-bike-and-pedestrian-path.aspx

As you can tell....when I take the family W, I do family stuff.

Mr. Pink
06-17-2014, 06:32 PM
Mostly passes, although the trail system from Breck to Frisco is fairly flat. As said, Frisco to Copper then up over Vail is a lot of work, but it's all on a paved path off road, which is awesome. Up and over and back from Vail is a good day's work. Breck out to Swan Mountain rd. then up to the top of Loveland pass is a couple of climbs. There is a trail system that wraps around Dillon reservior that is family fun. If you really feel spunky, climb into the car and drive maybe an hour down 70 towards Denver and get off at Idaho Springs and do Mt. Evans from the starting point of the race/climb. About 14,200 ft at the top, the highest paved road on the continent. Be conscious of the weather for that one - not a good place to be caught in a lightning storm.
Breck has lift served MTB (last I looked) and maybe Copper. Most shops will turn you on to rides if you ask. I got scared off trying to climb up and over Breck on a trail. Like, climbing a 13,000 ft on a MTB is not my thing.
Lots of bikes for rent, some roadies, too.

We were there in August, and it was still pretty cold after the sun went down, but shot up into the 70s and 80s in the sunny afternoons. Bring a lot of layers, and use sunscreen, you are way up there. Speaking of which, you will be thin on oxygen - you'll be sleeping at 9000 ft' and climbing to over 12,000 sometimes. Just try to find your zone and don't push it.

oldpotatoe
06-17-2014, 07:07 PM
So my family is taking us to Breckenridge, and we plan to do some mountain and road biking while we're there. I would love some good ideas for riding, dining, and if anyone has any bikes they want to rent out to us, that would be sick too! Of course there are shops that rent I bet.

Have fun, great time of year, bring your extra lung.

tiretrax
06-17-2014, 07:30 PM
There's a free guide for riding in the area. For a challenging road ride, go over Hoosier Pass to Fairplay. The aforementioned trail to Frisco/Copper is nice and gradual. The Vail pass going East has some steep spots, but is otherwise a grind (US Pro Cycling uses part of it on the Vail TT). Swan Mtn Rd around Lake Dillon is more challenging (especially goling up from the Frisco side), and then you can turn right and go up past Keystone to A-Basin and the pass (very challenging).

There is an old mining trail between Breckenridge and Keystone that's supposed to be a good mtn bike trail.

There is no end to good riding in Colorado.

When are you going? If you are there the 1st Saturday in August, sign up for the Copper Triangle.

Scuzzer
06-17-2014, 07:50 PM
I would love some good ideas for riding

How long? How hard? I own a small cabin SW of Alma so I've ridden a lot around that area on road, mtn and gravel bikes. A nice hard day on a road bike would be to ride to Frisco and do the Copper Triangle loop, one of my favorite rides, except on the day they hold the Copper Triangle ride.

For more of a gravel grinder type ride you could go over Boreas Pass down into Como then through Fairplay, over Hoosier Pass and back to Breck. You might even be able to do it on a road bike with 28mm tires but I haven't been on Boreas for a couple of years so I'm not sure. I'll be riding it with a moderately loaded touring rig and 32s in August so I hope it's not too bad.

There are boatloads of old mining roads south of Montezuma that you could hook together to make a nice loop on a mtn bike. Maybe Swann Mtn road to Keystone then up to Montezuma and on to Webster Pass, a slight hike a bike to get down to the dirt road that eventually turns into Tiger Road and back to Breck. The Montezuma to Breck part was used in the now defunct Montezuma's Revenge bike race back when I did it in the 90s. That area is littered with old mining roads that are fun to explore.

I haven't done any hard core singletrack mountain biking up there so if that's what you're looking for someone else might chime in.

buldogge
06-17-2014, 07:53 PM
Giampietro Pizzeria for pizza and pasta, only really decent food we had in Breckenridge.

Empire Burger was OK.

Same with Coffee Depot.

The Crepe place right on Main is pretty decent as well…

Head up Quandary Peak while you're there!

-Mark in St. Louis

Ralph
06-17-2014, 08:24 PM
I liked Eric's Downstairs in Breck for good beers and food. Really good beer for a ski town.

Bradford
06-17-2014, 08:36 PM
For more of a gravel grinder type ride you could go over Boreas Pass down into Como then through Fairplay, over Hoosier Pass and back to Breck. You might even be able to do it on a road bike with 28mm tires but I haven't been on Boreas for a couple of years so I'm not sure. I'll be riding it with a moderately loaded touring rig and 32s in August so I hope it's not too bad...
This is one of my favorite rides I've ever done. I also do it on a touring bike with 32s, but I do it in the other direction. I have a friend that lives at the top of the Breck side of the pass, so I go down to Breck, up Hoosier, over to Como, then back over the pass. Just a great day on the bike.

I'd also recommend doing the Copper Triangle, it is hard to beat that for a great day in the mountains.

RacerJRP
06-17-2014, 08:51 PM
In downtown Breck try the motherloaded tavern. I thought they had damn good food for a ski town.

gearguywb
06-18-2014, 05:03 AM
We are heading out on the 27th. Doing the Moots ride first, then the rest of the time in Breck.

So far I have ridden a fair number of the mountain bike trails (and there is quite a selection). this time brininging the cross bike and checking out some of the other rides.

We tried Quandry in January but turned around at the last pitch due to wind. Time to fix that!

buldogge
06-18-2014, 09:02 AM
Just go prepared…We were there a little over a month ago (not Quandary this time…but La Plata, Decalibron, and Beirstadt) and the wind was horrific the first couple days.

My hiking partner ended up badly sun/wind-burned (very white).

Winds were 45mph+ bursts on top of La Plata…felt like being sandblasted by the ice/snow.

We did Quandary last December…very cold (-17 overnight, 0 deg start), but nice clear day.

Good luck…

-Mark

We tried Quandry in January but turned around at the last pitch due to wind. Time to fix that!

TomNY
06-18-2014, 11:02 AM

I was based in Vail for a week of fantastic cycling. I prepared for it, but still took days to adjust. First day was an ez ride, next day 50 miler to Eagle on relatively flat valley roads. There are fantastic bike lanes converted from Rt 6 when I 70 was built in nearby space. T

Vail - Copper - Leadville loop is 70+ miles which is fantastic. Stop at Taco truck in town for ultimate lunch. this route covers Tennesee, Fremont, Vail passes. Bike rental places everywhere, bring your pedals and saddle. Carbon road bike is $60 day [+/-], mtb is cheaper. Great riding on top of mountain lift service, and unbeatable views. My cheapo brother in law that is fitter than anyone took two hours of climbing to reach top. I highly recommend HR monitor and keep a look at it. Tons of early morning and dusk road riders, MTB XC or DH is plentiful. You can take easy DH trail on XC bike, but otherwise the equipment is dedicated to the tasks.

Breck - I stayed there and the lake path...it's a snore.

I packed my roadbike for the trip w compact crank and 12-28 and rode everything. My Bro in law also brought his X bike w gearing that was very useful. I prefer my 14.75# R3 tho....

Can give you more details if you want, just PM me.

tiretrax
06-18-2014, 11:45 AM
Vail - Copper - Leadville loop is 70+ miles which is fantastic. Stop at Taco truck in town for ultimate lunch. this route covers Tennesee, Fremont, Vail passes.

That's the Copper Triangle route.

Montezuma is the old mining town that I was thinking of. Don't try it on 23's if you're on a road bike.

stien
06-18-2014, 03:26 PM
Wow guys, thanks! A ton of info here. Work has me swamped so I'll have to sift through. I'm taking away that we should take it easy on the first day or two.

Mr. Pink
06-18-2014, 08:50 PM
Yeah, day one should be flat and easy, for sure.