PDA

View Full Version : OT- Tony Gwynn died

Ken Robb
06-16-2014, 10:36 AM
He has been a true sports hero/good citizen in San Diego for many years. His contract as Baseball Coach at SDSU was just renewed a few weeks ago but he has been battling cancer for years. I think it all started in his mouth/tongue probably as a result of years of tobacco chewing. His son Tony Jr. is playing in the majors at age 31.

We will miss Tony and his good works.

Saint Vitus
06-16-2014, 10:41 AM
Yes a great player and citizen of San Diego. He will be missed.

Jeff N.
06-16-2014, 11:02 AM
Sad day, Ken.

henrypretz
06-16-2014, 11:34 AM
He was a truly great baseball player. He always seemed completely "in control" on the field. Peace to his family and friends.

ColonelJLloyd
06-16-2014, 11:42 AM
Very unfortunate. Don't use tobacco, kids.

wpod
06-16-2014, 12:15 PM
Very sad. RIP

redir
06-16-2014, 12:18 PM
Yeah he was a great for sure.

firerescuefin
06-16-2014, 12:55 PM
Everything you idealistically would want your star athlete to be (on and off the field). Really bummed to see this.

oldpotatoe
06-16-2014, 02:23 PM
He has been a true sports hero/good citizen in San Diego for many years. His contract as Baseball Coach at SDSU was just renewed a few weeks ago but he has been battling cancer for years. I think it all started in his mouth/tongue probably as a result of years of tobacco chewing. His son Tony Jr. is playing in the majors at age 31.

We will miss Tony and his good works.

One of the really good guys, great for baseball. RIP

bikinchris
06-16-2014, 02:35 PM
Yes, this is a major loss for both baseball and human kind. One of the great hitters to play the game, a good person and a guy you could feel good about kids looking up to.
Cancer sucks and it was a waste that he chose to use it and us lose him because of it.

Elefantino
06-16-2014, 03:19 PM
Bar none, the kindest, happiest and most enjoyable man I ever met in my professional life. And the best hitter I ever saw.

93legendti
06-16-2014, 04:03 PM
Not sure if it's available online, but in the 80's I remember reading an article in a magazine (SI?) with Ted Williams, Tony G. and Wade Boggs discussing hitting. Fascinating stuff.

srenda
06-16-2014, 04:45 PM
He was my FAVORITE growing up, despite me being a Mets fan. I must have 500+ Tony Gwynn baseball cards sitting in binders, cases and boxes. At one point, a long time ago, I moved to San Diego from NY where I grew up and sat at the old Murph and yelled his name from the RF bleachers. At one point he turned during a particularly slow part of the game, and tipped his hat at me. He was cool....

ctcyclistbob
06-16-2014, 04:56 PM
Like many have said, what a great hitter he was and so much fun to watch play. His .338 career batting average was phenomenal.

That he was such a good and likeable guy off the field made him one of a kind.

RIP Mr. Padre

F150
06-16-2014, 07:38 PM
My son called me from the highway this morning, on his way back to his co-op job after a Father's day weekend at home (too bad we spent most of it at visitation and funeral for his uncle). Was amazed at Gwynn's stats against Glavine, Smoltz, Maddux, Pedro Martinez as reported by Atlanta talk radio guys. Something nuts like low-.400s average and only 3-4 K's in over 300 at-bats.

Loved Rod Carew as a kid (after Rose) but TG was a machine at the plate.

Ken Robb
06-16-2014, 08:10 PM
He was also a GREAT point guard for SDSU, still holds the school record for assists. He was was drafted by the Clippers of the NBA but chose baseball.

Elefantino
06-16-2014, 08:18 PM
He was also a GREAT point guard for SDSU, still holds the school record for assists. He was was drafted by the Clippers of the NBA but chose baseball.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/87/e0/44/87e04445c136a2fb622add938f94c3a0.jpg

Exonerv
06-16-2014, 09:46 PM
The news prompted me to recall having read George Will's Men at Work some years ago. In it, he describes Gwynn's incredible work ethic as a hitter. May have to go back and read that section again. One of the greats...

http://www.amazon.com/Men-at-Work-Craft-Baseball/dp/B000HXDKCK

marsh
06-17-2014, 08:53 AM
Even us Cub fans loved him. A pioneer in video study. Great interview yesterday with Jack McKeon, the guy that drafted him:
http://podcastrss.play.it/670-the-score-interviews_mp3_128.xml

572cv
06-17-2014, 09:18 AM
Many admired TG and wished he were on 'their' team!

One thing that has been glossed over in some of the reports is that it was more than cancer that took him, it looks to be correct to say it was chewing tobacco that gave him the cancer that took him. This part of the premature loss of a fine man is pretty sad, and cautionary.

Ken Robb
06-17-2014, 11:25 AM
Many admired TG and wished he were on 'their' team!

One thing that has been glossed over in some of the reports is that it was more than cancer that took him, it looks to be correct to say it was chewing tobacco that gave him the cancer that took him. This part of the premature loss of a fine man is pretty sad, and cautionary.

I'm not the only one quick to pile on any time tobacco use is criticized but an article by an oncologist in this morning's local paper (U-T) states that Tony's type of cancer was probably not related to his chaw. It is a rare and little-understood strain that originates in the salivary glands as opposed to oral cancers of the gums, tongue, etc.

redir
06-17-2014, 03:01 PM
3141 hits, 434 strikeouts - that's pretty ridiculous. The guy had incredible numbers. He struck out less in his entire career then the average "good' player strikes out in two seasons. He hit off of Nolan Ryan, Steve Carlton, Tom Seaver, and Phil Niekro all who were in their prime and who have a huge combination of wins and no hitters. I would hate to be a pitcher on a streak and face off with him.

whforrest
06-18-2014, 10:48 PM
Thank you forum for these kind posts. He meant everything to us in San Diego. He was such a good man and down to earth. He really cared about people and had such admiration for the game. Keith obermen had the best summary about tony. He will be missed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk