PDA

View Full Version : Very Tragic Ending

laupsi
06-15-2014, 06:21 AM
saw this in the morning local paper. hopefully the link works. very sad story, all too common and difficult to accept.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-bicyclist-death-20140614,0,4120767.story

paredown
06-15-2014, 06:49 AM
Not many details, but that is truly awful.

Heartfelt condolences to her family.

Peter P.
06-15-2014, 12:04 PM
I know there aren't many details of the accident in the article and I don't mean to infer any on the part of the victim or the driver.

However, this accident reminds me that I see too many cyclists who will stop for whatever reason-change a flat, make an adjustment, check a map-while clearly not removing themselves from the road.

I distinctly remember riding with a handful of people when one of us flatted. The rider laid his bike down in the road, partially to the left of the white line. When I suggested he move himself and the bike onto the grass to change the flat, he refused, saying he didn't want to get himself or the bike dirty. I just shook my head.

rnhood
06-15-2014, 12:18 PM
Around here, in general riders are well off the road when they change a flat. I mean in the grass, not in the breakdown or shoulder lane. Its dangerous to perform repairs without being completely off the road.

Dead Man
06-15-2014, 12:19 PM
I distinctly remember riding with a handful of people when one of us flatted. The rider laid his bike down in the road, partially to the left of the white line. When I suggested he move himself and the bike onto the grass to change the flat, he refused, saying he didn't want to get himself or the bike dirty. I just shook my head.

I'd rather get it dirty than scratch it up on asphalt... I always move off the road, shoulder or not, to change a flat. Fortunately, up here in the lush PNW, we always have grass to lay 'er down on.

Super crappy to hear about the young lady. RIP.

beeatnik
06-15-2014, 02:15 PM
Tragic loss. Even with the limited details about her life, it's obvious she was a great kid with a generous heart. RIP

professerr
06-15-2014, 02:52 PM

tiretrax
06-15-2014, 04:25 PM
How awful for everyone, including the driver.