PDA

View Full Version : Specialized Prevail Helmet

dekindy
06-14-2014, 11:06 PM
I was doing research on bicycle helmets and luckily, the two best ventilated(top priority besides fit) helmets, Catlike Mixino and Specialized Prevail, were available to try on at local LBS's.

Overall impression was that the Mixino had traditional adjustments while the Prevail has minimal. I probably spent about 20 minute adjusting the Mixino trying to get the fit right. With the Prevail, I put it on, adjusted the chin strap, took it off, adjusted the micro fit system height, and I was done and it fit like a glove. Never have experienced anything like the Prevail so I purchased it.

Cannot get over the better strap design of both helmets. The materials are soft and comfortable and fit away from your face and do not touch the ears which has been a problem with every helmet that I have tried. The additional advantage of the Prevail is that the straps are not adjustable yet they don't need to be, at least for me. I was concerned that because the straps were not adjustable that the splitter would have to be positioned just right or it would be uncomfortable. In my humble opinion, it does not matter the position that the splitter sits on your face because you just do not notice it. Also, because the straps are not adjustable, there is only one strap instead of two routing through the chin buckle. I don't know about your experience, but the two straps always end up being different lengths and the two straps make it more difficult to adjust the chin buckle. One strap on the Prevail chin buckle and it is a breeze to adjust. Also less bulky and more comfortable and easier to manage excess length.

I also liked the Prevail because of the forehead venting. Even with a Sweat Gutr or Halo headband, sweat still manages to get into my glasses and eyes. Even after only ride in not too hot temperatures, I can feel this venting and it is working as I hoped. If you angle the top of the helmet slightly forward you can really feel the additional surge of ventilation coming through the top of the helmet for even further cooling.

Also the Prevail works great with my new Sweathawg and my glasses have plenty of room.

The Prevail just jumped out and grabbed me like no other helmet, or for that matter any other bicycle product that I have tried. Even if you don't like the Prevail, I encourage seeking out a helmet design that gets the straps away from your face.

rnhood
06-15-2014, 12:33 AM
Welcome to reality. I've been wearing one since they were introduced and, had the predecessor S-Works helmut before that. Its clearly one of the best designed helmets on the market. And its suitably light weight. Only gripe is the high cost.

carpediemracing
06-15-2014, 06:53 AM
+1

I have a Prevail, I had an S-Works (crashed it), currently have a Bell Gage and Volt. I went to Bell because of better fit, which totally shocked me because I thought the Specialized fit well (compared to the Giros, which fit poorly enough that I turned down a free Atmos that someone offered me.

All of them have similar adjustment ease, all of them work well with a Halo. I can't tell if one is "less ventilated" than another. If I'm dripping sweat then physics dictates that there's no way there can be enough air to evaporate that sweat.

I previously had a bad experience with Bell and didn't give them another chance, even after they bought Giro. I just thought "oh they bought Giro because they can't make a good bike helmet", which doesn't do them any credit.

christian
06-15-2014, 07:33 AM
I agree w Aki. For me, the Bell Sweep is basically an unimprovable helmet. Also, it still looks good, 6 years after its introduction.

dekindy
06-15-2014, 02:56 PM
I agree w Aki. For me, the Bell Sweep is basically an unimprovable helmet. Also, it still looks good, 6 years after its introduction.

I had a Sweep and the Ionos was an improvement in terms of ventilation. The Prevail is a step above the Ionos.

joosttx
06-15-2014, 03:14 PM
I really like the prevail. I just switched from a prevail to a Lazer Helium and I like how the Prevail fits and how the straps are situated better. Also it is a cooler helmet.

Neil
06-15-2014, 03:33 PM
I've been wearing one for years- well, the Prevail since launch and the S-Works as that model was called before hand.

One thing I never managed to achieve was getting the damn thing to sit straight on my head though- it would almost always settle at a slightly jaunty angle.

Recently one of my club-mates picked up my Prevail, and I picked up his- I still don't now who it was, but I lost faith in my "new" helmet as I didn't know it's history.

I thought I'd use this opportunity to try to "de-wonk" my helmet, tried on a load and the Mixino was the only one that passed the newly minted "wobble test", at least in the shop.

We shall see if that works in the real world of course!

I also got the snap-on cover, in Nodder-Fluro, reasoning that as it's likely to be used in the rain a bit of extra visibility is probably not a bad thing, and anyway fluro-80's colours seem to be coming back in these days.

PaMtbRider
06-15-2014, 04:00 PM
I got a prevail as a warranty replacement for an older s-works helmet about 1 year ago. I too was worried about the non adjustable straps. They work great. I really like this helmet over the Giro helmets I've worn in the past.

There was a Specialized dealer at the Trexlertown velodrome swapmeet last month selling the prevail for $130. I bought 2 of them, another 1 for me and 1 for the wife. Since I bought 2 and paid cash he sold them for $115 each.

Neil
06-15-2014, 04:39 PM
The Prevail is a $270 helmet in the UK.

sfscott
06-15-2014, 06:39 PM
I have one and like it a lot. For some dumb reason, I was seduced by a Kask helmet and bought it. For all the adjustability on the Kask, it just doesn't feel good. And if you wear Oakleys, they don't fit with the Kask.

People here rag on Specialized for their aggressive trademark enforcement and for being another big evil corporate bike company. I have to say though that the Spec products I have are really good. My S works shoes are the best I've owned, I like my helmet and got some really well designed gloves from them. I also had a good experience with their video fit system.

Never rode a Spec bike though.

Gummee
06-15-2014, 09:05 PM
I've got 2 S-Works Prevails.

Mmmm nice. Light. Lots of air movement thru the helmet. etc

The ONLY fly in the ointment are... the flies (well bugs anyway). For some reason, this helmet seems to get more than its fair share of bugs flying into it

M

beercan
06-16-2014, 08:32 PM
Anyone have a medium to trade for a large white?

dekindy
06-18-2014, 06:22 AM
Wow, after 3 rides, this is a game changer. Ventilation is keeping me much cooler and increasing my enjoyment. Get one if hot temperatures are holding you back.

zap
06-18-2014, 08:12 AM

I had Sweep which was my lid for several years then purchased the Prevail a little over 2 years ago. I found that the Prevail does have better ventilation. But, I'm still dripping buckets when its hot and humid so the Prevail still does not compare to helmet-less cycling.