PDA

View Full Version : Supporting Carbon Bike to Clean and Maintain

Splash
06-14-2014, 06:03 PM
i need some ideas on how to mount this bianchi Oltre XR - so that it is off the ground with frameset not structurally compromised.

What do you guys use?

splash

mktng
06-14-2014, 06:13 PM
If you do use a clamp on mech such as a parktools stand.. I know I know.... It won't break. But avoid clamping the tt. Best would be to have a beater seatpost you can insert to clamp onto.

Splash
06-14-2014, 06:59 PM
thanks.

i red that people use axle supports and mount the hole bike on axles.

what is this better seatpost you can insert to clamp onto?

Splash

DRietz
06-14-2014, 07:02 PM
Do you have a repair stand already?

mktng was referring to inserting an aluminum seatpost into your bicycle provided it was a normal, round seat tube. The Oltre XR has a proprietary seatpost.

Pick a workstand. Any workstand. All will work with your bike. Clamping your carbon seatpost in a normal repair stand is fine.

mktng
06-14-2014, 07:18 PM
Ah. True. Yea. Forgot about proprietary posts. If you don't have a nice stand that holds the bike from the bb and quick releases. Make sure to just use a rag between the clamp mech and the carbon post.

FlashUNC
06-14-2014, 07:21 PM
Get a repair stand. Problem solved.

Splash
06-14-2014, 07:40 PM
no - do not have a repair stand at this point in time.

now that i know where to clamp (on seat post), i will proceed to acquire one.

splash

tiretrax
06-14-2014, 08:22 PM
If you have a car rack, you can put it on that until you get the stand. It's no really necessary, however, to elevate it. It's too big of a pain to take the stand outside, so I just do it on the ground by the hose. Don't spray directly into any areas that need to be lubed (i.e. bottom bracket, hubs, headset, etc.)