PDA

View Full Version : salvodelli for TDF?

yeehawfactor
02-20-2006, 11:52 AM
issue of cyclesport i recently received has an excellent feature on salvodelli's victory in last years giro. he mentions his riding the tour as one of 3 disco leaders and he bemoans the 2006 course as well suited for the pure climbers. what do you guys think of salvodelli's tour chances? obviously there are a lot of unknowns here, but namely-
what shape will ullrich be in
how strong will basso be and how could disco contain basso
how well will georgie and popovytch ride
it's a 3 weeek race, anything could happen

it seems like he could be discovery's hope this year as he is a very smart rider who has experience in grand tours. can salvodelli be a dark horse?

93legendti
02-20-2006, 12:20 PM
issue of cyclesport i recently received has an excellent feature on salvodelli's victory in last years giro. he mentions his riding the tour as one of 3 disco leaders and he bemoans the 2006 course as well suited for the pure climbers. what do you guys think of salvodelli's tour chances? obviously there are a lot of unknowns here, but namely-
what shape will ullrich be in
how strong will basso be and how could disco contain basso
how well will georgie and popovytch ride
it's a 3 weeek race, anything could happen

it seems like he could be discovery's hope this year as he is a very smart rider who has experience in grand tours. can salvodelli be a dark horse?

I think Discovery will be in a very nice position in the TdF. Between Salvoldelli, Hincapie, Popyvitch and even Tom Danielson, they have riders who must be respected if they get into a breakaway on a mountain stage. Back that up with a strong team and Johan's guidance, the TdF will be very exciting. Ullrich, based upon his history, is done as a realistic TdF winner. He will finish in the top 10, but he simply cannot follow the best climbers every time. Even in 2003, he was dropped on Alpe D'Huez and Luz Ardiden; in 2004 at La Mongie and Plateau de Beille; and in 2005 at Courcheval and Saint Lary Soulan (Pla d’Adet). In 2001 and 2000 it was more of the same. I do not see him improving as a climber now.

lnomalley
02-20-2006, 12:53 PM
conversely, i don't think disco has anybody that will podium in the tdf. oh well.....

bigbill
02-20-2006, 01:51 PM
It would be hard for Salvo to peak for the Giro and then again for the TDF. Marco did it eight years ago, but it was under unusual circumstances. The big gun italians, Salvo and Basso will have to ride their home tour, Salvo to defend his title and Basso for national pride. I think that this will be an exciting year for the TDF since there is no clear favorite. Then again, Salvo complaining about the tour routes could all be a ruse on the part of Johan to lower expectations about the tour. He is famous for downplaying the chances of his riders only to have them blow everyone away. I prefer a ruse over a bluff.

CalfeeFly
02-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Ullrich, based upon his history, is done as a realistic TdF winner. He will finish in the top 10, but he simply cannot follow the best climbers every time. Even in 2003, he was dropped on Alpe D'Huez and Luz Ardiden; in 2004 at La Mongie and Plateau de Beille; and in 2005 at Courcheval and Saint Lary Soulan (Pla d’Adet). In 2001 and 2000 it was more of the same. I do not see him improving as a climber now.

I was fortunate to be in Paris on the last day in 97. Look at photos of Ullrich then and look at him now even when he is at his present riding weight. He was almost what you would call skinny. Ullrich is the antithesis of Lance who due to his Cancer became a body of a Tour Champion and Ullrich "grew" into his current more bulky approach.

When you look however at just how close time wise they all are it is possible he could come back. He would have to become a fanatic like Lance on his weight so he can maintain his climbing. Personally I think he just plain old enjoys life too much the way it is. It is like a smart person in school who could work and get all A's or take it easy and get a mix of A's and B's. The later person will have a lot more fun and the former will get much further ahead in the traditional sense.

93legendti
02-20-2006, 02:23 PM
I was fortunate to be in Paris on the last day in 97. Look at photos of Ullrich then and look at him now even when he is at his present riding weight. He was almost what you would call skinny. Ullrich is the antithesis of Lance who due to his Cancer became a body of a Tour Champion and Ullrich "grew" into his current more bulky approach.

When you look however at just how close time wise they all are it is possible he could come back. He would have to become a fanatic like Lance on his weight so he can maintain his climbing. Personally I think he just plain old enjoys life too much the way it is. It is like a smart person in school who could work and get all A's or take it easy and get a mix of A's and B's. The later person will have a lot more fun and the former will get much further ahead in the traditional sense.

I agree, he was darn thin in '97 (and '96). I have a picture of me with him in February 1998 or 1999, at the start of the Majorca Challenge. He was heavier than me!