PDA

View Full Version : Cycling the California Aqueduct Bikeway

EPOJoe
06-14-2014, 02:17 PM
So I was riding along Interstate 5 a few days ago, alongside the California aqueduct, and I see a paved road running alongside one side of the water and a gravel road on the other side. Naturally I'm thinking this might be a cool way to ride from Northern California all the way down to Southern California, so I do a little research and I'm excited to find a few web pages describing the "California Aqueduct Bikeway", as a state sanctioned 147 mile long bike path. Unfortunately, a little more research reveals that it's apparently no longer legal to bike the trail, although hiking is still considered alright. Anyone ridden the aqueduct, or have any idea what's going on out there as far as the legalities of cycling? I know it wouldn't be the most beautiful ride in the world, but still seems like something interesting to try. There are a few photos hanging around the web from folks who have had their bikes out there at some point, like these:

Steve in SLO
06-14-2014, 02:22 PM
Sounds like it would be a fun ride, although not the most beautiful scenery around. I would be interested in its legality, as well. Frankly, I am kind of surprised it is legal to hike by it. The thought of somebody dumping bad stuff into it has surely crossed state officials minds.

Jaq
06-14-2014, 03:38 PM
Rode it forever ago, when it was just gravel, from Patterson north to just before the 580 fwy.

Late July in the San Joaquin Valley on a gravel path with fully loaded touring bikes riding into a headwind. It was not the high point of the trip.

Paved, it would be a great route, but the state shut it down for liability reasons. Personally, I love the scenery, but then, I spent most of my childhood summers on a farm near Porterville.

I suppose if enough people could be got together, it could be reopened. It would make for an extraordinary thing; an enviro-friendly bikepath that runs nearly the length of the greatest state in the union.