PDA

View Full Version : Felt FC vs F1

bcroslin
06-14-2014, 02:17 PM
I'm looking at a Felt FC frame set because my current bike (Giant Propel) is being warrantied for a carbon issue. I've been happy with the Propel but I would like a more traditional frame set. No ISP or jumbo steer tube - BB30 is as far out as I want to go. My LBS is a Felt dealer and I've always liked the look of Felts and have heard good things. The FC frame set hits all the right buttons and is relatively inexpensive. I was ready to order an FC until I heard a friend was selling what is essentially a brand new F1 team Argos Shimano frame set for damn near the same price as what I can get the FC for. I did some digging around on the internet and I can't get a good handle on what's different about the F1 from the FC with the exception of the carbon not being quite as nice and the bottom bracket shell being aluminum instead of full carbon on the FC. The geometry is identical and I'm guessing the weight on the FC is just a tiny bit more. What gives me pause is that the FC retails for $1650 and the F1 for $3100. Is the F1 really $1400 nicer? Is the carbon that much different on the F1?

I'm also curious to hear from anyone who rides an FC or F1 about the ride characteristics. I've gotten used to the Propel which is very unforgiving and a little sluggish in the corners but has amazing snap when accelerating. I'm curious if the Felt will be a radical departure. I'm looking for something that has some snap, corners well and won't beat me to death on a 3-4 hour ride.

TIA

Bob

shovelhd
06-14-2014, 04:34 PM
My 2013 Fc with Di2 and SRM. This is my race bike. In race trim it is 14.5 pounds, 54cm.

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l453/shovelfl/FcSRM2_zps8a1e37cd.jpg

What year F1? The F1 is the flagship and developments on that frame trickle down to the lower models. If the F1 is 2-3 years old then the Fc is going to be just about the same technology. The current F1 is a little lighter and the rear end is a bit stiffer. I don't like the ride as much as the Fc.

I bought the Fc as a crash replacement for my F5 after UAL trashed the chainstay. The F5 was a great all around racing frame, very forgiving, went where you pointed it, and rode nicely. When pushed to the limits it was firmly planted and inspired confidence.

The Fc is a racehorse. The front end is a little bit twitchy, especially with deep section wheels. It goes exactly where you point it, and you damn sure better know where you want to go because that's where it's going. The fit was very different than the F5. It's more of a rotated fit, up and over, flat and aero. It is a very fast bike. I routinely coast away from others in the group without trying. Some of that is me, some of that is the wheels, and some of that is the frame and how I fit on it. I started racing it with 7900 mechanical but upgraded to Di2 the next year. The frame is completely Di2 ready, with all the proper holes and chainstay bolts. It comes with everything you need for mechanical, but the Di2 grommet kit is $12. I just finished a 4.75 hour ride on it and I feel great. I'm one of those skinny assed guys so if it was uncomfortable I'd know it.

I think the Fc is one of the great bargains in a pro quality race frame. I have no desire for anything else.

Good luck with your search. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

bcroslin
06-14-2014, 05:05 PM
Thanks so much for the info! The F1 is a 2013 so I think it has the newer carbon weave but not the absolute newest checkerboard pattern carbon.

Do you happen to have any idea what the FC frame set weighs? I've read 1670 which seems very heavy compared to the F1 at around 1200 grams.

shovelhd
06-14-2014, 05:33 PM
The 2013 is 939g in a 56cm, the fork is in the 300g range.

A 2013 F1 would have the nano carbon which is stronger and lighter than what is used in the Fc.

I was very disappointed to see that Felt dropped the F1 bike and only sells the frame. The flagship bike is now the AR1, a frame I have no interest in.

I have a friend who is having issues with his Propel as well. He's pretty pissed off.

TimAZ
06-14-2014, 08:50 PM
How do you like those Psimet wheels?

bcroslin
06-14-2014, 10:08 PM
I have a friend who is having issues with his Propel as well. He's pretty pissed off.

They all have brake issues unless you spring for the more expensive Fouriers. Mine has a very small area where the carbon is bubbling up around the exit hole on the underside of the top tube where the cable exits for the rear brake. It's probably not a big deal but Giant wants to replace it. I'm actually tempted to buy another Giant because of how the company has handled the warranty. I'm on the fence between the Felt FC and an aluminum TCR SLR. I've been riding carbon bikes long enough that I don't think I can go back to an aluminum road frame.

shovelhd
06-15-2014, 05:59 AM
How do you like those Psimet wheels?

They're great. Novatec/CX-Ray/Gigantex 50mm. I bought them used, original owner. They are my training and pit wheels. The original owner was heavy and raced cross so 28/24. I've had one broken spoke but with the history that was no surprise. Rob had a replacement out the next day.

I know a lot of guys just buy pre built Chinese wheels but it doesn't cost that much more to have premium Taiwanese rims and a hand built, custom wheel.