PDA

View Full Version : Share your weight weenie-ism!

bluesea
06-13-2014, 07:41 PM
Getting bored waiting the right ti frame to come along, so I might ww my Colnago in the meantime. Problem is I won't replace groupset parts with off brand light stuff.:rolleyes:

Would be cool to see what others have done.

P.S. Duh, wrong section.

mktng
06-13-2014, 08:08 PM
What sort of Colnago?

bluesea
06-13-2014, 08:56 PM
C-50 which is chorus equipped. Was thinking Super Record brakes, crankset, RD, cassette if I find a good deal, and Superleggero carbon bars. Wheelset on order might save an oz or two.

kramnnim
06-13-2014, 09:20 PM
There were some ee brakes for sale here...

bluesea
06-13-2014, 11:55 PM
There were some ee brakes for sale here...

That would seriously challenge my mechanical abilities. Plus I'm stuck on keeping Campy, Campy. Anyway on paper the list above represents ~12 oz. That's a high price for nothing but a smile every time I lift up the bike. :o

This is a sharing thread...

beeatnik
06-14-2014, 12:06 AM
Bang for the Buck

Zipp Sl Short and Shallow Bars - 170g
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=42589&category=1679

Thomson Masterpiece Post Tuned/Cut - 150g

EE Brakes - 169g (without pads)

Record Shifters, Record FD, SR RD (Record adds 15g but saves you money you can put into a crank upgrade)

THM Clavicula Cranks - 410g

Praxis Rings

The brakes and the cranks are the big money items. If you can only get one go with the EE brakes and Record 11 cranks. Weight difference between SR Ti and Record is 42g; price difference is $200 plus. Not too tough to find a saddle which will save you 40-100g for under $200.

http://fairwheelbikes.com/tune-speedneedle-saddle-p-4082.html

kramnnim
06-14-2014, 05:24 AM
The Chorus to SR upgrade saves little weight...especially for the cost. But SR looks so nice...

What kind of pedals do you use? Ti spindles might be an option...

soulspinner
06-14-2014, 06:23 AM
C-50 which is chorus equipped. Was thinking Super Record brakes, crankset, RD, cassette if I find a good deal, and Superleggero carbon bars. Wheelset on order might save an oz or two.

Faiwheel has a listing of all groups and weight with and without cables.

fuzzalow
06-14-2014, 06:55 AM
I can understand chasing weight weenie components for the novelty and whiz-bang-ism of playing with exotica. IMO this is the singular saving grace of doing it 'cos in the real world the weight savings is meaningless to your end results. Even on the clock.

This stuff is meant to be enjoyed and exotica has its own allure. So why not?

I recall the attraction I had the first time I handled a titanium connecting rod for a Ducati superbike. Goodness me, that was one beautifully manufactured chunk of metal! I wanted to own one, almost as a fetish of primitive motorhead totemism. Then I found out what it cost!

RedRider
06-14-2014, 10:03 AM
Ditch the waterbottles and cages. Each full waterbottle weights 720g...

krismac23
06-14-2014, 10:06 AM
Dito on EE brakes. Upgrade in stopping power and modulation plus saving in weight. I prefer them over my new Ciamillo Gsl brakes. If it was me the extra $200 for sr11 cranks is worth it. Just to say I have sr11 :cool:

EricEstlund
06-14-2014, 10:25 AM
I've never been a weight weenie, but I played a little with a recent build. (http://www.winterbicycles.com/projects/poignard/) I tried to make is as light as was reasonable (no silly short cuts, parts that I thought would hold up to real riding, all the stuff I make, and a set budget in mind). Turned out well. A friend asked what it was like to ride- I told him "like a bike, but it's easier to get off the upper rack in the morning".

mktng
06-14-2014, 10:27 AM
my two road bikes are both steel lugged. I have them built up both on Dura Ace. didnt go above and beyond tweaking things here and there to save a few grams. they both weigh in at around 19lbs. i feel like thats as weight weenie as it'll get for me :(

BBB Stamped (big boy bike) status

soulspinner
06-14-2014, 10:32 AM
I've never been a weight weenie, but I played a little with a recent build. (http://www.winterbicycles.com/projects/poignard/) I tried to make is as light as was reasonable (no silly short cuts, parts that I thought would hold up to real riding, all the stuff I make, and a set budget in mind). Turned out well. A friend asked what it was like to ride- I told him "like a bike, but it's easier to get off the upper rack in the morning".

:)

mktng
06-14-2014, 10:32 AM
http://www.torontocycles.com/

Get your calculator out and figure out what you stand to lose in grams with tweaks here and there. Pulleys....Ti bolts...etc etc etc

giverdada
06-14-2014, 11:55 AM
amazing the 'feeling' of lightness that can be achieved by switching out tires at least and wheels if the cash is there. rotating mass there, whatever that means, but i recall distinct pick-up feeling differences between my 1400g tubular wheelset and my 30mm deep scirocco wheelset. the 1400g set didn't descend all that nicely but was antsy to go faster up every climb and jumped in sprints. even switching tires similar in weight seemed noticeable - maxxis re-fuse to michelin pro 4 races. and all this is 'cause i'm a cheapskate who doesn't care much about weight 'cause i can't afford to and i ride amazing steel that has always been too good for me and my legs.

bluesea
06-14-2014, 12:36 PM
A friend asked what it was like to ride- I told him "like a bike, but it's easier to get off the upper rack in the morning".

That's why they use the term weenie. :)

I know my last roadbike will be steel so the lightness will be fleeting. The take off parts provide a base for a new groupset.:cool:

Ralph
06-14-2014, 12:46 PM
First.....light weight shoes and socks.

EricEstlund
06-14-2014, 03:06 PM
It's all a matter of what you are after, and what is "light" for your standards.

My weenie bike is 13.2lbs out the door (as in, the weight when I actually go ride it). It's a fixed gear with a steel fork and stem, and is plenty light to get it back up the four stairs and onto the rack at the end of the ride.

I've been plenty happy on other bikes that were 10 lbs more.

zap
06-14-2014, 03:39 PM
Crumpton, Enve fork and post, Campy SR with silly big 12/27 cassette, SiSl2 53/39 crankset, 3t 130 stem, Thomson bars (stiffer and deeper drop than the lighter Zipp bars i had earlier), Ciamillo carbon brakes, Mavic K SLR wheels......14.1 lbs with cages, Dura Ace SpdSL. I could have gone lighter but I prefer parts that work very well and last years.

Proper tubular wheels/tires should knock .5 lbs off this 58tt bike.

bluesea
06-14-2014, 10:21 PM
Great build. :beer: