PDA

View Full Version : Shimano Makes Running Change for Dura-Ace 9000 Cassettes to Eliminate Creaking

dvs cycles
06-13-2014, 07:06 PM
http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/06/06/shimano-makes-running-change-to-dura-ace-9000-cassettes-to-eliminate-creaking/

I posted a while back how mine had broken on the carbon carrier.
Never had the "creak" mentioned here.

The replacement I purchased from Excel is of the first gen version.
Are the revised cassettes out yet and has anyone received one for a warranty replacement? Any numbers indicating so on the box?

Have not taken my broken one back yet and don't want the old design that will eventually fail but will be on a shelf probably until after the 2 year warranty is up.

thirdgenbird
06-13-2014, 07:25 PM
Is that the same "creak" that effected first gen double tap levers?:fight:

I saw a comment on another forum that said shimano replaced them no questions asked.

dvs cycles
06-13-2014, 07:38 PM
Is that the same "creak" that effected first gen double tap levers?:fight:

I saw a comment on another forum that said shimano replaced them no questions asked.
Double tap is a SRAM thing but if you are refering to the 9000 shifters being replaced by the the 9001 I think Shimano said it was to fix a "rattle".
If just a rattle why the different cable path similar to the new 6800 shifters?
My guess it is to fix the cable wear problem I have.

thirdgenbird
06-13-2014, 08:23 PM
I guess it was a bad joke.

I was comparing this "creaking":
http://i43.tinypic.com/2dw7z8g.jpg

To this:
http://wvcycling.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/100_0060.jpg

oldpotatoe
06-14-2014, 07:09 AM
http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/06/06/shimano-makes-running-change-to-dura-ace-9000-cassettes-to-eliminate-creaking/

I posted a while back how mine had broken on the carbon carrier.
Never had the "creak" mentioned here.

The replacement I purchased from Excel is of the first gen version.
Are the revised cassettes out yet and has anyone received one for a warranty replacement? Any numbers indicating so on the box?

Have not taken my broken one back yet and don't want the old design that will eventually fail but will be on a shelf probably until after the 2 year warranty is up.

Running change that is also a warranty of the old ones?..I'm surprised(not really) that a 'shop' sells the old ones first..rather than sending them back to shimano or the distributor..unless they are 'gray' market, OEM resale, in bags, type thing..then they are stuck.

RacerJRP
06-14-2014, 10:12 AM
FYI, though I am sure most of you realize, that a running change and a recall/ warranty issue are two different things.

If you actually read the article on BikeRumor, you will see the note from Nick @ Shimano stating that the change had nothing to do with a creak, and that the creak in fact comes from the Ti tooth and roller interface on the chain.

ultraman6970
06-14-2014, 10:15 AM
Is the real solution called campagnolo? :P

06-14-2014, 10:38 AM
I understand that there were a few (as in less than five) riders who reported 3+ broken cassettes EACH. And there were (how many thousands of) cyclists who never had a problem? I called user error, got flamed for it, but stand by that point of view. There were also intermittent creaking reports, which Shimano said were actually due to the free hubs but for which the cassette got blamed. Shimano did make changes that would have addressed both issues, but who wouldn't if you were doing a mid-lifespan product rev that Shimano typically does on a lot of their equipment (think 7700/7701 cranksets, 7800/7850 hubs, and on and on). Occasionally they do so for a reason. Mostly they just are improving the product.

I wish I had a better answer for situations like these cassette breakages. Who ever in their lives broke three cassettes back to back, each within a few hundred kilometers? I'd be pretty upset if I did it myself, but I'd be looking hard at why I broke them and others didn't.

dvs cycles
06-14-2014, 06:28 PM
Running change that is also a warranty of the old ones?..I'm surprised(not really) that a 'shop' sells the old ones first..rather than sending them back to shimano or the distributor..unless they are 'gray' market, OEM resale, in bags, type thing..then they are stuck.
Not gray market from Excel and all packaging was just as any LBS stock.
I think that Shimano has just come up with this redesign and only warrantys if it breaks or someone complains of creaks.
I have a friend with a brand new Trek Madone that just came from Trek and it has the old style cassette on it also.

ptourkin
06-15-2014, 09:27 AM
I'm still on my original but my friend, riding a build from the same shop had problems with 3 in a row then switched to an Ultegra that didn't creak or crack. Tracking it down before Shimano announced the change was annoying. Chris King took some false blame for a second...

thirdgenbird
06-15-2014, 09:36 AM
FYI, though I am sure most of you realize, that a running change and a recall/ warranty issue are two different things.

Absolutely. It is reports that shimano will replace 9000 cassettes that makes the issue cloudy.

I agree that its odd to see the same people with a repeat issue an not others. Even if it is an install error, it would lead me to believe they were designed too close to failure. The failure percentages may be low, but compared to other cassettes, I bet it's very high.