PDA

View Full Version : Columbus SLX?

DCilliams
06-13-2014, 02:34 PM
I'm checking out this Ciocc frame for a friend. The owner thinks it's Columbus SLX steel but there's no sticker on it. I can't seem to find any examples to compare it to online. Any idea what year and type of steel this frame is made of?

Look585
06-13-2014, 02:38 PM
SLX was distinct in that the main tubes were internally rifled. Stick your finger up into the downtube or seattube via the BB shell and feel for the ribs. If they are present, it's SLX. If not, not.

redir
06-13-2014, 02:41 PM
You should see inside the tubing spiral grooves like in the barrel of a rifle. If you see that then it's SLX. You will have to remove the seatpost and probably the BB to get enough light in there to see it.

EDIT: Woops Look beat me to it.

JimmyTango
06-13-2014, 02:42 PM
Rad looking bike either way!

fiamme red
06-13-2014, 02:42 PM
My guess is that this is a more recent Ciocc built with Dedacciai, not Columbus. Not that it really matters much.

merckx
06-13-2014, 02:47 PM
That looks OS to me and SLX era was not unicrown.

DCilliams
06-13-2014, 02:54 PM
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the quick feedback.

DCilliams
06-13-2014, 03:14 PM
If it's Dedacciai, what kind of lightness, stiffness would it be compared to Columbus SLX or El os?

brando
06-13-2014, 03:29 PM
Definitely not SLX and you don't even need to look inside. SLX is round, those tubes are ovalized.

spacemen3
06-13-2014, 03:42 PM
Looks very much like Dedacciai tubing to me. Perhaps Zero or SAT 14.5? I could never make much sense of their naming schemes. Nice tubing, regardless, and more modern than SLX.

jr59
06-13-2014, 04:02 PM
nm

malcolm
06-13-2014, 04:07 PM
I think TSX was also splined or rifled if I'm not mistaken. Those tube look big to be SLX.
Some of my favorite bikes were SLX though I thought it was a great tubeset.

Columbus SLX
06-13-2014, 04:21 PM
I thought it was a great tubeset.

Me too ;)

lhuerta
06-13-2014, 04:24 PM
I think TSX was also splined or rifled if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, TSX was rifled through entire tube length, where SLX was only rifled on ends of the tube.

shovelhd
06-13-2014, 04:27 PM
Wasn't the steerer rifled on SLX?

cnighbor1
06-13-2014, 05:49 PM
However if your friend can't pronounce Ciocc forget buying it!!

sante pollastri
06-14-2014, 12:27 AM
it also could be columbus nemo.

ultraman6970
06-14-2014, 02:28 AM
Never seen a fork like that with columbus slx, to me could be maybe deda tubing or maybe something else more modern like nemo and such.

That bike just because of the paint work and the little i can see from the craftmanship it looks like mid 90's - 2002 era maybe. Another reason to think is not slx at all.

Black Dog
06-14-2014, 07:12 AM
I would bet that that bike is made with Deda Zero Uno. Unicrown fork, brake bridge, and chain stay bridge seem to point in that direction. Mid 90's vintage. Great tube set.

EricEstlund
06-14-2014, 10:34 AM
I won't pretend the tube set doesn't matter, but in this case, well, it doesn't matter. The bike is built and is likely made from good/ gooder pipes.

Many tube sets offer a selection of choices for the builder in different length/ diameter and butting profiles. Tube sets within a brand can differ based simply on the alloy (but retain the dimensions), the dimensions (but retain the same alloy) or a combination of the two. The long and short of all of that is that it's really more about the bike designer choosing the right pipes for the frame over the companies marketing groups of tubes together.

AngryScientist
07-31-2020, 07:10 AM
bumping this thread up as i just mad an impulse purchase (that i probably should not have....).

what are the ride qualities of SLX bikes?

some of the pro race bikes of the late 80's and 90's were SLX right?

CNY rider
07-31-2020, 07:17 AM
bumping this thread up as i just mad an impulse purchase (that i probably should not have....).

Dude you need to post a pic of your entire fleet.
It's got to be unbelievable at this point!

josephr
07-31-2020, 07:26 AM

I don't know how to describe it other than just good ole pure steel goodness! Everyone knows the rifling was to decrease tube weight, but I think it adds a measure of micro-shock absorption which enhances the overall smoothness of the ride.

Elefantino
07-31-2020, 07:29 AM

I've had three SLX bikes: a DeBernardi, a Bianchi and the current Merckx CE. All rode marvelously, but there was notably more noodling in the Bianchi than the other two. The DB and the Merckx seem to have been made to be a bit stiffer downstairs.

ntb1001
07-31-2020, 07:51 AM

Depending on who made the frames, but should be similar to an SL frame. SLX was supposed to provide more frame stiffness.
It took over SL as the standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
07-31-2020, 08:05 AM
Depending on who made the frames, but should be similar to an SL frame. SLX was supposed to provide more frame stiffness.

Actually SLX, with rifling at the butts of the seat tube, was also for a better support for a brazeon fd tab..Same dimension tubes, SL/SLX/TSX, not a huge difference in ride quality, same frame maker. IMHO

AngryScientist
07-31-2020, 08:10 AM
Actually SLX, with rifling at the butts of the seat tube, was also for a better support for a brazeon fd tab..Same dimension tubes, SL/SLX/TSX, not a huge difference in ride quality, same frame maker. IMHO

you're going to like this incoming project peter. i'm sure of that.

:)

Spaghetti Legs
07-31-2020, 08:19 AM
SLX tubeset is slightly heavier than SL, but designed to be stiffer. IMO, frame construction/geometry and chainstay design has more of an effect on ride quality than difference between SL and SLX. I’ve had Bianchi, Cinelli, De Rosa with SLX and all ride really nice. De Rosa is my favorite amongst those.

jamesdak
07-31-2020, 08:21 AM
Well, all I can do is make my own observations based on my experiences I've had with my SLX bikes. Keep in mind, I'm heavier running from 175 -200 lbs throughout the years.

With my '87 Paramount I found the back end was soft when I tried to apply my meager power to accellerate. The '87 Circuit doesn't have this problem though so I kept it and sold the "better" Paramount.

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/169146753.jpg

I also had a slightly too big Ciocc Designer 84. This bike wa just plain solid under me and did everything extremely well. Sold it because of size but if one shows up in my size I wouldn't hesitate to buy.

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/168355729.jpg

Finally, I have this Giordana Polaris in SLX. A rocket ship that is still extremely comfortable to ride lot's of miles on rough chipseal roads. Like all of my Giordana's the ride is sublime.

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/167800611.jpg

So, in a nutshell. I wouldn't hesitate to pickup another SLX tubed bike. I think the Paramount was an oddity. When I'm at the heavier end of my weight most of my SL and 531 bikes can feel a bit flexy. Except for the Paramount I've never noticed that with any SLX bike I've ridden.

Mark McM
07-31-2020, 09:24 AM

The ride qualites of SLX are same as for any other steel bike:

https://www.habcycles.com/m7.html

Velocipede
07-31-2020, 09:29 AM
SLX is still used today. Doriano and BiXXis are making the Epopea with SLX tubing and classic lugs. Including a classic flat fork crown. It's a great riding tubeset.

Mark McM
07-31-2020, 09:45 AM
SLX is still used today. Doriano and BiXXis are making the Epopea with SLX tubing and classic lugs. Including a classic flat fork crown. It's a great riding tubeset.

I suspect that today's SLX tubes are quite a bit different from the original SLX tubes. The original SLX was made from Cyclex, a chrome-moly alloy, whereas most Columbus tubings today are made with more modern alloys. And I'd be willing to bet that the wall thicknesses and butt shapes/lengths are different as well.

And that's not even getting into that the rifling ridges on the original SLX tubing was mostly a gimmick anyway. The same or better improvements in stiffness could be had by simply making the butts a little thicker.

robt57
07-31-2020, 10:37 AM
IIRC, Colnago went to SLX at a certain size frame, SL then SLX for that era. All the tubes were same diameter back then as I recall, so longer meant less stiff without the rifling.

As to ride, I still have my 85 SLX Colnago Victory in 61CM. Had it since 1993-4. With 11s Chorus and light wheels or my 404s I do a hammerfest 30 mile loop no slower than my more modern stuff. I have no compunction to not take it on any fast ride.

As to traits, for my Nago, stout for sure, and rewards returned for aggressive and FTP riding. But not too bad JRA like Max for example [in my experience]. But it let's you know 'get back into the pedals' when you slack, my Nago does anyway.

Mark McM
07-31-2020, 11:00 AM
IIRC, Colnago went to SLX at a certain size frame, SL then SLX for that era. All the tubes were same diameter back then as I recall, so longer meant less stiff without the rifling.

I think you might be remembering that on some models the tubing switched over from SLX to SPX for larger frame sizes. SLX/SPX was a step up in both spec. and cost over SL/SP. (SL/SLX and SP/SPX used the same alloy and outer diameters, but SP/SPX had thicker walls for more stiffness and strength. The X indicated the addition of helical ridges at the tube ends.)

spank
07-31-2020, 07:15 PM

And that's not even getting into that the rifling ridges on the original SLX tubing was mostly a gimmick anyway. The same or better improvements in stiffness could be had by simply making the butts a little thicker.

Ha, reminds me of Larry Black grouching at me while I was at his shop, College Park Bicycles, staring up at the hundreds of frames hanging on his ceiling looking to see if he had any SLX frames in my size... He said he had plenty of SL and he would draw an X on it and charge me more if it would make me happier with it.

Toeclips
08-01-2020, 02:18 PM
I use to hang out a college park bikes
Larry has a great selection of vintage 70/80's bikes

reuben
08-01-2020, 05:00 PM
I use to hang out a college park bikes
Larry has a great selection of vintage 70/80's bikes

"has"? Last time I was there, about 20 years ago, it was gone. Did it just move somewhere else? Used to go south on Route 1, past a couple of UMD entrances, then right into a miniature shopping center. Had a 7-Eleven or something next door. Not far from the off campus bookshop, IIRC. But that may have moved as well.

Yeah, TONS of bikes hanging from the ceiling. Bought a bike and a bunch of other stuff there many moons ago.

steveoz
08-01-2020, 05:03 PM
In my steel bike taste testing I've always been really happy with my SLX bikes
(Paramount, NHX and Nova Special) versus not quite as happy with True Temper OS (Gunnar Sport, Roadie and Waterford custom) or even 853 steel (assorted Lemond Zurich and Malliot Juane). The SLX "gets on plane" for me - the True Temper and 853 lacked ..."life"... I'll give "Honorable Mentions" to a Centurion with Tange #1 (had some spring in it's step but didn't fit great) and an SL Pinarello Treviso (great road feel, fit well -regret selling it.. )
I always thought that steel bikes were like the steel suspension springs in a car - they need a little load on them to judge how they feel.. you take a suspension spring by itself and it's impossibly stiff - stick the weight of a car on it and suddenly it's very responsive ....or I could be completely wrong...:bike:

Toeclips
08-01-2020, 05:54 PM
Larry started my airy bikes in my airy
Last time I was there it was a treasure trove of vintage bikes, albeit toned down a bit
College park bikes moved location years ago on the other side of Rt 1, I thought they still had some bikes hanging up

Proteus just up the road was a cool place to visit too

Back to the thread, I had a Serotta Club Special with just the seat tube with SLX the rest was Sl
Smooth as glass

robt57
08-01-2020, 06:07 PM
I gotta stop posting from my memory. Appears I had that data crossed indeed.

I think you might be remembering that on some models the tubing switched over from SLX to SPX for larger frame sizes. SLX/SPX was a step up in both spec. and cost over SL/SP. (SL/SLX and SP/SPX used the same alloy and outer diameters, but SP/SPX had thicker walls for more stiffness and strength. The X indicated the addition of helical ridges at the tube ends.)

colker
08-01-2020, 06:37 PM
I will risk saying that by the time slx was around, italian builders knew how to make a sublime riding racing bike. Geometry was sorted out. Everything else was good from wheels to sadlles, gears wtc.. Women were beautifull, wine was excellent and cars looked good. Take everything: cars, women, fashion, mountains, one liners, youth.. and put a label on it: it´s columbus slx.

AngryScientist
08-01-2020, 06:56 PM
I am away from home for the weekend biking and camping; but my bride has informed me that the project SLX frame has arrived. Record shop time. Very excited to get home and see it!

colker
08-01-2020, 07:08 PM
I am away from home for the weekend biking and camping; but my bride has informed me that the project SLX frame has arrived. Record shop time. Very excited to get home and see it!

Pictures. Asap.

VC Slim
08-01-2020, 07:36 PM
SLX was of course the main tubes with the stays either SL or SP depending on the size and type of frame. My 58cm Merckx Criterium was SLX with big as your thumb SP seat stays. Also raced a Tommasini Prestige with super stiff (and heavy) SPX tubesset.

merckx
08-01-2020, 08:35 PM
(Paramount, NHX and Nova Special) versus not quite as happy with True Temper OS (Gunnar Sport, Roadie and Waterford custom) or even 853 steel (assorted Lemond Zurich and Malliot Juane). The SLX "gets on plane" for me - the True Temper and 853 lacked ..."life"... I'll give "Honorable Mentions" to a Centurion with Tange #1 (had some spring in it's step but didn't fit great) and an SL Pinarello Treviso (great road feel, fit well -regret selling it.. )
I always thought that steel bikes were like the steel suspension springs in a car - they need a little load on them to judge how they feel.. you take a suspension spring by itself and it's impossibly stiff - stick the weight of a car on it and suddenly it's very responsive ....or I could be completely wrong...:bike:
Nicely articulated.

vintage1
08-02-2020, 08:30 AM

Not all 853 frames are created equal. I have a Zurich in 853 and a Dekerf in 853. The Dekerf in 853 is on a whole other level. As always frame material is important but not as much as who is holding the torch.

jamesdak
08-02-2020, 08:37 AM
Well in defense of Reynolds 853 and Zurich's.

My 2000 Lemond Zurich is still the holder of several of my PR's that I have not been able to beat on any of my other 25+ steel bikes.

They are FAST!

vintage1
08-02-2020, 08:43 AM
Well in defense of Reynolds 853 and Zurich's.

My 2000 Lemond Zurich is still the holder of several of my PR's that I have not been able to beat on any of my other 25+ steel bikes.

They are FAST!

I am not saying the Zurichs are bad. I really liked mine. I just don't ride it anymore since the Dekerf arrived. It's just so much better. And it should be because it costs 5 times as much.

Elefantino
08-02-2020, 08:50 AM
In order of my steelies, best to not-so-best:

Merckx Corsa Extra, SLX
DeBernardi SLX
Raleigh International, 531 DB
Specialized Allez Comp Cro-Mo, Foco
LeMond Zurich, 853
Bianchi Giro, SLX
Colnago Decor, Gilco
Bianchi XL, Boron, Dedacciai EOM16.5
KHS John Howard, Tange #1
Gitane Tour de France, 531 SG

I do not rank my three Serotta Atlantas or two CSIs here because they are on a different plane.

Mark McM
08-02-2020, 08:59 AM

I think you are reading too much into the tube set identity. Columbus SLX, True Temper OS, Reynolds 853 and Tange #1 are different steel alloys, but all steel alloys have virtually the same same density, modulus (stiffness), damping, etc., so the alloy used will not in itself affect how a frame feels and performs. The differences in steel tubes mainly depends on the diameter and thicknesses of the tubes. However, except for maybe SLX, the other tube sets are available in variety of different diameters and thicknesses, so you can't generalize the performance and feel of frames made from these different tube sets.

steveoz
08-02-2020, 11:04 AM
Of course it's is all completely subjective and varies widely with the skill of the builder, but I will defer to forum member "Colker"'s wonderful interpretation of SLX tubes made earlier in this post:p

robt57
08-02-2020, 11:39 AM
I have done a few 853 upper end Lemonds and Some Plat OX Lemonds. I liked all the TT OX frames better. Probably due to my Clydzi-ness.

I do have one custom 753 [mid 90s] with all Henry James lugs/dropouts etc. That is about the best 'glove' for me steel wise. Also have a Thron Merckx that respond well for me, but the toe overlap for my gorilla feet an issue.

The 753 bike is down for a refinishing, and I have lost 35 lbs since I last hammered it. Kinda wanna see how the steel responds with that much less loaded stress just rolling. ;)

My fav is the 85 SLX Nago. My 2000 Strong Foco a very close second. Carl used MTB OX tube TT and a Pear Aero DT, again my girth and those must balance.

>>Probably the build balancing with the steel for the riders weight and power has more to do with a frame being 'that steel' than anything else.

I also had a Reto-modded 1972 531 Paramount, the chrome one. 531 was not steel that seemed to work for me the times over 4 decades i have tried, my girth again. Now that 531 worked for me, I suspected being it was custom [measuring bore that out] some asymmetrical tube cutting helping BB side stoutness may have been in play. I could just never abide the 1972 era rake and trail. The Nago as said re: IT builders getting geoms dialed must be on my sweet spot and another reason I feel so dialed on it.