PDA

View Full Version : Avid Shorty 4s and brake pads

afrizzledfry
06-13-2014, 12:47 PM
I'm currently running Shorty 4 cantis (might ungrade to Ultimates in the near future), and recently aquired a set of lightly used Ritchey WCS Apex Carbon Tubulars that I plan to run for CX.

This is all pretty new to me, and I was hoping for some help. I'm looking at either Kool Stop or Swisstop brake pads, but I'm not sure which models are compatible with my Shorty 4s. If anyone is familiar with these carbon brake pads, some help would be greatly appreciated.

palincss
06-13-2014, 01:37 PM
If your Avid Shorty 4's are like mine, the Kool Stop Mountain Salmon is compatible with your brakes. However it's for aluminum rims, and I'm not sure (having no experience with them) what pad material works for carbon rims.

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/images/brk14.jpg

rockdude
06-14-2014, 07:21 AM
Cool stops are nice but Swiss stops are better.

rockdude
06-14-2014, 07:23 AM
Cool stops are nice but Swiss stops yellow are better.

Gummee
06-14-2014, 07:35 AM
IF you've got road pad holders in those brakes, you can run any of the carbon-specific pads in em. If you don't have road pad holders, get some.

Kool Stops for carbon are OK. Nothing special.
Shimano for carbon are better. Mine're wearing fairly quickly.

I've never run the Reynolds blue or Swissstop yellow pads so can't comment.

M

oldpotatoe
06-14-2014, 07:37 AM
I'm currently running Shorty 4 cantis (might ungrade to Ultimates in the near future), and recently aquired a set of lightly used Ritchey WCS Apex Carbon Tubulars that I plan to run for CX.

This is all pretty new to me, and I was hoping for some help. I'm looking at either Kool Stop or Swisstop brake pads, but I'm not sure which models are compatible with my Shorty 4s. If anyone is familiar with these carbon brake pads, some help would be greatly appreciated.

A note..do NOT use brakes/pads that have been used on a aluminum wheelset on this carbon wheelset.

Mentioned Swiss stop Yellow MTB for carbon pads or shorter, for cross brakes, pads and holders..like these.

http://www.treefortbikes.com/product/333222364330/1230/Kool-Stop-Cross-Threaded.html?gclid=CMzWgtCw-b4CFRRsfgodRRMAdQ

'Yellow Kings..get some MTB linear brake pads. Or get Swiss stop yellow for carbon cslide in inserts.

Ken Robb
06-14-2014, 10:14 AM
I just realized that I have never seen a bike with canti brakes and carbon rims. We don't have much of a 'cross program in San Diego so I guess that might be where riders would use this combo?

Gummee
06-14-2014, 06:48 PM
I just realized that I have never seen a bike with canti brakes and carbon rims. We don't have much of a 'cross program in San Diego so I guess that might be where riders would use this combo?

Pretty much any of the races here in the NoVa/MD area use carbon wheels in CX. I know I do. 38mm and 24mm tubulars

M

rockdude
06-15-2014, 07:28 AM
A note..do NOT use brakes/pads that have been used on a aluminum wheelset on this carbon wheelset.

If you are racing CX, the least of you worries for your carbon wheels is switching out pads. One mud race will do more damage than a life time of using the same pad on al and carbon wheels.

If you race carbon wheels for CX be prepared to replace them. I race 30+ CX races a year and break one to two wheels a year. Don't race it if you can replace it.

oldpotatoe
06-15-2014, 07:31 AM
If you are racing CX, the least of you worries for your carbon wheels is switching out pads. One mud race will do more damage than a life time of using the same pad on al and carbon wheels.

If you race carbon wheels for CX be prepared to replace them. I race 30+ CX races a year and break one to two wheels a year. Don't race it if you can replace it.

Well sure but the guy will probably ride the wheels on not muddy, crappy days..like on Wednesday..it would be a shame to trash the wheels on a dry training day cuz he didn't swap pads.

afrizzledfry
06-15-2014, 07:13 PM

Good to know. Thank you. I'm in Texas, so thankfully that won't be too much of a concern. I'm guessing the mud/grit shreds the carbon brake surface? If so, I'll be sure to run my al rims if we do ever get mud down here :)

Gummee
06-15-2014, 09:02 PM
Well sure but the guy will probably ride the wheels on not muddy, crappy days..like on Wednesday..it would be a shame to trash the wheels on a dry training day cuz he didn't swap pads.

I have teammates with more $ than sense who DO ride the carbon tubulars on crappy days. Me? I'm broke so ride AL rims on those kinds of rides/races

M

spartanKid
06-15-2014, 10:56 PM
Most of the reason that people use fancy brake pads with carbon rims is because of the added heat from heavy braking.

You will see plenty of people running koolstop salmon pads with carbon tubulars in cross races...at least you do in NE. Though I hear for many manufacturers it voids the crash replacement warranty if the company finds out? Not sure though.

As people have said above, abrasive grit, sand, mud, dirt, etc. wear away the brake tracks on carbon wheels in cross. It's un-avoidable. If there was a best use for those cheap chinese/taiwanese sourced carbon tubulars, CX would be it. $300 for a set, never exposed to high braking loads on mountain descents, and you can get like 7 pairs for the price of one set of 303s.

beercan
06-15-2014, 11:37 PM
Do swiss stop yellow pads work the same as the reynolds blue pads they give with rims? Or any cork pads do?