PDA

View Full Version : Boardman on road disc brakes

FastforaSlowGuy
06-13-2014, 08:32 AM
He's a fan:
http://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/news/article/boardman-disc-brakes-will-enter-the-pro-peloton-in-two-years-41347/

I know he's a techno-junkie, but it sorta surprised me.

Mr. Pink
06-13-2014, 08:48 AM
"“The industry needs change,” he said. “They want people to buy more stuff, so they’ll be happy. But from a functional bike rider’s perspective I prefer them – I really don’t like braking on carbon rims.” "

Easy solution. Don't use carbon rims.

This is sort of ridiculous. Bike racing is going the way of F1 racing, with that logic. Let's invent more expensive and fragile stuff people really don't need, but convince them other wise, and, if they don't, just force it on them. Excellent thinking as the major markets for high end bicycles basically are dropping into permanent recession. "Ya, sure, I'll trade in this perfectly good ten thousand dollar bike for a new fifteen thousand dollar bike because of the awful braking on the former." Right.

witcombusa
06-13-2014, 08:54 AM
He'll ride whatever they PAY him to ride, same as any pro...

oldpotatoe
06-13-2014, 08:57 AM
"“The industry needs change,” he said. “They want people to buy more stuff, so they’ll be happy. But from a functional bike rider’s perspective I prefer them – I really don’t like braking on carbon rims.” "

This is sort of ridiculous. Bike racing is going the way of F1 racing, with that logic. Let's invent more expensive and fragile stuff people really don't need, but convince them other wise, and, if they don't, just force it on them. Excellent thinking as the major markets for high end bicycles basically are dropping into permanent recession. "Ya, sure, I'll trade in this perfectly good ten thousand dollar bike for a new fifteen thousand dollar bike because of the awful braking on the former." Right.

The same guy who likes 38cm handlebars and Lotus TT frames.

The 'market', whatever that is, will decide if this more expensive, more complicated, heavier 'solution' to this 'use carbon rim exclusively' micro segment rules(rue?) the day.

For good or ill , probably will, unfortunately. That weekend warrior, seeing Froomie on an electronic shifting, wet disc, carbon everything wunderbike and he'll have to have it.

But calipers, metal rims and bikes, mechanical shifting will still be there and under riders who will still get up and down the hill faster.

The market and marketing are like herding cats...in any market.

AngryScientist
06-13-2014, 08:59 AM
He'll ride whatever they PAY him to ride, same as any pro...

that's the truth.

FastforaSlowGuy
06-13-2014, 09:14 AM
I think he's right about going all or nothing though. The problems with RDBs in the peloton multiply when it's a mixed bag of tech. Can't do the same thing with amateur races, so I'd be sorta worried about seeing them at my next office park crit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

merckx
06-13-2014, 09:35 AM
The proliferation of high-tech, uber expensive, bicycle kit is also fueling the increased interest in rando and dirt road machines. I think that some of us have raised the white flag on F1esque ProTour machines and have embraced the adequate and purposeful technology of good, comfortable, durable and functional machines like this:

thwart
06-13-2014, 09:40 AM
But you must have electronic shifting on your gravel bike… :rolleyes:

Well, if not that, at least discs. :rolleyes:

BTW, that blue one above is elegant (well, they all are). Can't make out the downtube name.

christian
06-13-2014, 09:43 AM
Signal.

Nate posts across the hall. Raygunner on here has one. It's beauteous.

merckx
06-13-2014, 09:45 AM
If racing machines stopped here, we would have survived just fine. Now, all of us, ride our bicycles and never come home!

sante pollastri
06-13-2014, 10:10 AM
All of you had to live in max 90's,top intelligent to live in these very stupid years.....

firerescuefin
06-13-2014, 10:26 AM
They're bicycles....not artificial hearts.

I like the idea of road discs. The standards will sort themselves out. You want to be an early adopter, you'll go through some teething issues with the rest of the industry.....

Boardman owns a bicycle company that sells stuff.

Settle down people.

parco
06-13-2014, 10:48 AM
The more technology "advances" on road bikes the more I find myself riding my fixed gear.

FastforaSlowGuy
06-13-2014, 11:04 AM
They're bicycles....not artificial hearts.

I like the idea of road discs. The standards will sort themselves out. You want to be an early adopter, you'll go through some teething issues with the rest of the industry.....

Boardman owns a bicycle company that sells stuff.

Settle down people.

Does he still own it? I thought he was basically just there in name? Maybe I'm thinking of Cippo....

firerescuefin
06-13-2014, 11:07 AM
Does he still own it? I thought he was basically just there in name? Maybe I'm thinking of Cippo....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boardman_Bikes

oldpotatoe
06-13-2014, 11:12 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boardman_Bikes

Worked on a few from Drew Scott, Dave's kid. TT/Tri and road. Decent enough name but. Chris needs to work on QC....crappy with a capital C integrated brakes.

Stephen2014
06-13-2014, 12:50 PM
now sold to Halfords, but he's still some sort of manager.

MerckxMad
06-13-2014, 01:01 PM
The proliferation of high-tech, uber expensive, bicycle kit is also fueling the increased interest in rando and dirt road machines. I think that some of us have raised the white flag on F1esque ProTour machines and have embraced the adequate and purposeful technology of good, comfortable, durable and functional machines like this:

+1. I've dropped out of the uber-bike arms race. It's all brooks and searsucker for me.

merckx
06-13-2014, 01:27 PM
I'm not against the evolution of technology. It will happen whether we embrace it or not. Carbon wheels, frames, bits and discs have their place. It is just that chasing bleeding edge technology may not be in the best interest for all of us. For example, I've burned through a few sets of carbon wheels after 10,000 vert days and I suffered with inadequate braking more times than I can remember. Some of my riding buddies won't join me on training rides in the rain because they are afraid of their equipment in challenging conditions. Pffff...... I've pedaled my way through a few decades and nothing distracts me more than equipment that will prevent me from riding. I don't want to look at my bike, fuss with it, or baby it. I just want to ride it. Alloy wheels, good duel pivot brakes and mech shifting gets me to the moon and back every day.

goonster
06-13-2014, 01:32 PM

/thread