PDA

View Full Version : Ot world cup 2014

Pages : [1] 2

gianni
06-12-2014, 11:24 PM
Pathetic. the first match hinged on a pathetic dive by Fred. Anybody but Brazil.

Thoughts?

pinoymamba
06-12-2014, 11:27 PM
definitely a lot of calls for brazil...

forca portugal.

8aaron8
06-12-2014, 11:36 PM
Argentina!

R3awak3n
06-12-2014, 11:39 PM
definitely a lot of calls for brazil...

forca portugal.

Another one for Portugal here. We have a tough one on monday though.

Louis
06-12-2014, 11:42 PM
FIFA and football (aka soccer) are crooked and riddled with corruption. You'd think they would maintain at least a veneer of propriety during the World Cup, but apparently even that is beyond them.

Having said that, I still hope Brazil wins. (and that Altidore scores a bunch of goals for the US)

Anarchist
06-13-2014, 12:03 AM
FIFA and football (aka soccer) are crooked and riddled with corruption. You'd think they would maintain at least a veneer of propriety during the World Cup, but apparently even that is beyond them.

Having said that, I still hope Brazil wins. (and that Altidore scores a bunch of goals for the US)

Not at all like the UCI ......

rustychisel
06-13-2014, 12:25 AM

harsh. Not FIFA. And not a dive by Fred either.

All it took was one over zealous referee in the first match of the tournament getting his panties in a wad. Not for the first time either. Having said that I'm sure Brazil were in the drivers seat [even with an own goal and a bunch of insouciant prima donnas].

Now, who's gonna watch Australia trounce Chile [it could happen]?

Anarchist
06-13-2014, 12:30 AM
No, it really couldn't. Really.

Louis
06-13-2014, 12:31 AM
harsh. Not FIFA

I only have this to say in response: Mohamed bin Hammam and 120 deg F

slidey
06-13-2014, 12:39 AM
Italy or Argentina :fight:

pinoymamba
06-13-2014, 12:39 AM
harsh. Not FIFA. And not a dive by Fred either.

http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/fred-dives-against-croatia.gif?w=1000

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/GrayWolf323/Miscellaneous/NotSureIfSerious.jpg

rab
06-13-2014, 12:58 AM
Fred - 190 lb player going down like that?
He had a poor touch on the ball and diving was about all he could do.
Credit for his excellent jazz hands though.
If they make calls like this regularly we will see a record number of PKs.
Just encourages players to dive. Wish they could institute post match reviews and somehow penalize players for blatant dives.

And FIFA is on par with the IOC corruption wise it seems. Interesting to now see the rumors starting regarding Qatar losing it's bid. One story a few hours back stated that FIFA had contacted the US about being ready in the event Qatar was stripped. Huh. be interesting to see how it all goes.

alexstar
06-13-2014, 01:00 AM
Viva México cabrones!

rustychisel
06-13-2014, 01:00 AM
No, it really couldn't. Really.

Oh yeah, for sure. You gotta have faith [cue George Michael song]...

re the dive: what I meant to suggest was that the ref had his mind up as soon as he saw the 'hand on arm' and it didn't need Fred's perfectly controlled slide to seal the deal.

Len J
06-13-2014, 04:10 AM
Who knew God was Japanese?

And the Croatian Goalie Sucked.

Anybody but Brazil.

Len

1X10
06-13-2014, 05:16 AM
England v Italia Saturday...That will be a good litmus test for both squads!!

Spain v Holland...Even better....:hello:

First matches are always a bugger in big play tournaments...Brazil played well with Oscar deserving real credit:)...Chelsea don't know what they have in that
kid...

Hulk is exactly that!!...wow...

Lots of Futbol...

FIFA aside it is 'a beautiful game' ....

jr59
06-13-2014, 05:35 AM
At least there were zero bubazilla (sp) horns we had to listen to!

BobC
06-13-2014, 06:04 AM
England v Italia Saturday...That will be a good litmus test for both squads!!

Spain v Holland...Even better....:hello:

First matches are always a bugger in big play tournaments...Brazil played well with Oscar deserving real credit:)...Chelsea don't know what they have in that
kid...

England - Italy could be a snoozer if both sides decide to play conservatively (Italy has been known to start very slowly & England is, well, England).

Overall, I thought Brazil looked spotty (although I thought Sideshow Bob was Man of the Match). Both keepers were horrendous. Brazil has to improve, that level of effort won't work against a better side -- Japanese ref or not.

tuscanyswe
06-13-2014, 06:08 AM
I think the idea that refs around the world should participate in the world cup is a good one but in reality it doesent work. Cant have refs with such a low standard in such an important / exciting event.

Ruined an otherwise very interesting game for me.

Spain holland should be a great game tonite. Hopefully the ref wont interfere with that.

PQJ
06-13-2014, 06:26 AM
I wish someone would bribe Sepp so that he allows instant replay for the refs. It's the only way soccer will get the technology, and last nights match is just the first in which we will see how necessary it is.

On the plus side, someone in Brazil must own a spray paint company and be tight with Sepp. That line indicating the distance between free kick taker and opposing wall is genius - so much more necessary than something like instant replay.

Climb01742
06-13-2014, 06:28 AM
For me, anyone but Germany. I'd like to see Messi have a good tournament. And which Holland will show up, beautiful total football or ugly pack it in UFC football?

goonster
06-13-2014, 07:02 AM
England - Italy could be a snoozer if both sides decide to play conservatively
This is the least conservative England squad in a long time.

Overall, I thought Brazil looked spotty
Very spotty. Neymar repeatedly dropping back all the way to the defensive line, looking for the ball, is not a good sign. Bad calls and individual brilliance from Neymar/Oscar aside, Croatia let one slip here.

Anyone but Germany, Portugal, Italy, Japan and Brazil!

BobC
06-13-2014, 07:11 AM
On the plus side, someone in Brazil must own a spray paint company and be tight with Sepp. That line indicating the distance between free kick taker and opposing wall is genius - so much more necessary than something like instant replay.

MLS has been using that disappearing marking spray for a while. It is a great idea & not sure why other leagues don't adopt it too. Good to see it being used for this tournament.

tele
06-13-2014, 08:04 AM
Both keepers yesterday did indeed look horrible with late movements...Shaka Hislop said after the match its the ball doing funny things!:no:

Lanterne Rouge
06-13-2014, 08:23 AM
Brazil looked flimsy at the back and will be punished by better teams.

Fred dived - it wasn't a penalty and that's the end of it. Lovren is an experienced defender and should know better then to put hands on a player in the box.

England (my beloved England) don't have a chance at all. If we make the knockout stages I'll be happy. We've got a lot going forward, the likes of Barkley, Sterling and Lallana (and hopefully Rooney will turn up). Roy needs to be brave with his team selection. I'd rather go out in a blaze of glory than limp through with lifeless draws.

Who will win - Spain, Argentina or Brasil

Dark horses - Belgium, Chile and Germany

PQJ
06-13-2014, 08:25 AM
MLS has been using that disappearing marking spray for a while. It is a great idea & not sure why other leagues don't adopt it too. Good to see it being used for this tournament.

Agree it's a good idea. But an idea that's significantly more important to the integrity of the game is to get ref calls right so they don't affect match outcomes. Last night's call probably wouldn't have changed the result (but really, who knows?), but there were a number of similar fiascos back in '10, most notably in the England / Germany game. That FIFA can't avail itself of modern technology to some degree is absurd.

Gsinill
06-13-2014, 08:28 AM
Anybody but:

Algeria
Argentina
Australia
Belgium
Bosnia-Hercegovina
Brazil
Cameroon
Chile
Colombia
Costa Rica
Croatia
Ecuador
England
France

Ghana
Greece
Honduras
Iran
Italy
Ivory Coast
Japan
Mexico
Netherlands
Nigeria
Portugal
Russia
South Korea
Spain
Switzerland
United States
Uruguay

MattTuck
06-13-2014, 09:04 AM
I'm only a casual soccer fan. And that game only served to keep it that way.

When officiating calls are subjective and big advantages are awarded based on 'selling' a foul, it is really not that fun to watch. Reminds me of basketball in that way.

At least in football (American football, that is), when the officials blow a call, they make a similarly poor (but intentional) call in favor of the opposite team on the next possession.

The score of that game should have been a 1-1 tie, or maybe 2-2 tie. The foul for the Croatian player interfering with the goalie seemed iffy as well, it seemed like he was playing the ball.

Lanterne Rouge
06-13-2014, 09:18 AM
The foul for the Croatian player interfering with the goalie seemed iffy as well, it seemed like he was playing the ball.

But he made contact with the keeper before the ball therefore a foul - keepers are, and quite rightly, protected by the rules.

goonster
06-13-2014, 10:45 AM
But he made contact with the keeper before the ball therefore a foul - keepers are, and quite rightly, protected by the rules.
Meh, not really. The keeper does not enjoy special status in this kind of aerial challenge, unless the ability to use his hands makes him the only one who has a realistic chance to play the ball. This is a foul only if you judge that Olic jumped with the primary intent to impede the keeper, and had no realistic chance to play the ball.

That's not how I saw it, but I'm not Japanese. :banana:

It's kind of a miracle that Olic goes near keepers at al (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZC44AI3lCw)l . . .

Lanterne Rouge
06-13-2014, 11:17 AM
Reminds me of the Schumacher challange from 82:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGq7VcaHoqo

firerescuefin
06-13-2014, 12:15 PM
Horrible calls in the Mexico-Cameroon game. Mexico should be up 2-0

Mike Lopez
06-13-2014, 12:34 PM
Horrible calls in the Mexico-Cameroon game. Mexico should be up 2-0

While I'm holding down the fort at the shop my crew is at a local restaurant watching the game. Doesn't should like they're gonna be happy when they return!

Anarchist
06-13-2014, 03:03 PM
I wish someone would bribe Sepp so that he allows instant replay for the refs. It's the only way soccer will get the technology, and last nights match is just the first in which we will see how necessary it is.

Absolutely nothing would destroy the game as fast as having, and using instant replay. One of the beauties I'd the flow, and the speed of the game. Turning it into American football or hockey by stopping play every 4 minutes to spend 5 minutes reviewing a call would make a game 3 hours long and boring.

The refs make calls on the field, we get to second guess because we watch 9 replays from 16 angles and then can call the refs idiots, but they are there, they make the calls on the fly and the arms have to adjust. It is part of the game.

Technology does not have to be everywhere.

Len J
06-13-2014, 04:09 PM
Spain sure layed an egg.....Dutch looked awesome.

Great header opening goal for the Dutch.

Len

Climb01742
06-13-2014, 04:11 PM
Is Spain that bad? Is the Netherlands that good? I'd bet on the Dutch to go through.

Louis
06-13-2014, 04:18 PM
I'd bet on the Dutch to go through.

Really going out on a limb, there... ;)

Len J
06-13-2014, 04:22 PM
If you are going to lay an egg..... Best time in the tournament to do it.

Revenge game for the Dutch, intensity was evident early in the match.

Not sure one game makes a trend.

Len

beeatnik
06-13-2014, 04:33 PM
Viva México cabrones!

+1 guey!

Anarchist
06-13-2014, 04:35 PM
Now for Chile!

PQJ
06-13-2014, 04:39 PM
Is Spain that bad? Is the Netherlands that good? I'd bet on the Dutch to go through.

Hard to tell based on that much. One thing is for sure: the Spanish could've used some more of their own beef.

Climb01742
06-13-2014, 05:00 PM
Really going out on a limb, there... ;)

Maybe not. Chile is quite a good side and who knows, Spain could bounce back. This was never an easy group even with 3 points. But yes, unless the Dutch get overconfident, they're in the drivers seat.:p

tuscanyswe
06-13-2014, 05:19 PM
I can c chile beating holland and spain going out on goal diff even if they beat chile. Cant c australia stealing any points from the others. Tough pissition for spain. Will be interesting to c how they react, they are not use to defeats esp ones like this.

cnighbor1
06-13-2014, 05:48 PM
To me the world cup makes no sense at all. Each country uses players only from their country. So if for some reason at world cup time a country just happens to have a number of very good players on the Pro level than at that moment in time will have a great team So what are they trying to prove? That they have a very good Soccer development system in place starting with 5 to 6 year old players. that would tend to produce a good quality of future Pro players from which they could use in the world Cup
To me just one of those silly ALL STAR TEAMS like we have in this country, USA
Charles Nighbor

beeatnik
06-13-2014, 05:52 PM
Charles Nighbor

Um, no.

firerescuefin
06-13-2014, 05:59 PM
Um, no.

Golf clap for the restraint used in your response.:beer:

Anarchist
06-13-2014, 06:02 PM
To me the world cup makes no sense at all. Each country uses players only from their country. So if for some reason at world cup time a country just happens to have a number of very good players on the Pro level than at that moment in time will have a great team So what are they trying to prove? That they have a very good Soccer development system in place starting with 5 to 6 year old players. that would tend to produce a good quality of future Pro players from which they could use in the world Cup

Charles Nighbor

Is this serious?

1X10
06-13-2014, 06:13 PM
KNVB looked good...litmus test accomplished!!

As a ManU supporter I enjoyed seeing Mr RVP playing with some intensity, and with VanG as the new gaffer, if the Orange go far there could be some 'buying' in Madchester!!

Or Chelsea and R. Madrid raid the world...again...:)

Good futbol so far...

Climb01742
06-13-2014, 06:25 PM
KNVB looked good...litmus test accomplished!!

As a ManU supporter I enjoyed seeing Mr RVP playing with some intensity, and with VanG as the new gaffer, if the Orange go far there could be some 'buying' in Madchester!!

Or Chelsea and R. Madrid raid the world...again...:)

Good futbol so far...

As an Arsenal supporter, seeing RVP play so well is bittersweet, but his play today, in particular his header, bodes well for the Orange.

beeatnik
06-13-2014, 07:09 PM
Golf clap for the restraint used in your response.:beer:

Martin Kaymer 10 under at the US Open, wow.

Kings, NBA Finals, US Open, World Cup, Dauphine...good stuff this weekend.

Louis
06-13-2014, 07:13 PM

And Mickelson about to throw in the towel.

firerescuefin
06-13-2014, 07:20 PM

He's making it look easy. This tournament (especially given that this course is going to get harder and harder....literally and figuratively) has a history of guys getting way away from the field and then coming back.

He's making it look soooo easy. I really like Spieth. Can't wait to see him mature. He's gonna be a beast (more so than now).

1X10
06-13-2014, 08:24 PM
As an Arsenal supporter, seeing RVP play so well is bittersweet, but his play today, in particular his header, bodes well for the Orange.

His play is always great...Its the injuries that have really nagged him:confused:

Understand your dilemma as a Gunner...Thoughts on Fab. heading to Chelsea??...You had first dibs...Even though his play today looked a bit off, but so did all of Espana:)

Climb01742
06-13-2014, 08:36 PM
Understand your dilemma as a Gunner...Thoughts on Fab. heading to Chelsea??...You had first dibs...Even though his play today looked a bit off, but so did all of Espana:)

I love Arsene as manager but I don't always understand his transfer/player acquisition strategy. I hope he opens up the pocketbook this summer. We need an aggressive goal scorer, we need our new version of Henry or Bergkamp. Maybe fair play will level the payrolls but it sucks being outspent when you're one of the worlds richest clubs.

jh_on_the_cape
06-13-2014, 10:44 PM
Can someone please tell me a way to stream this? I want to watch Italy England tomorrow. I don't have cable and it streams on espn3 but I need some sort of password from my cable provider, which I don't have.
I found some pretty sketchy sites to stream it and I don't want to risk some sort of virus on my computer.
Any help?
Yes I googledit.

Anarchist
06-13-2014, 11:13 PM
Get thee to a Public House.

pinoymamba
06-13-2014, 11:27 PM
Can someone please tell me a way to stream this? I want to watch Italy England tomorrow. I don't have cable and it streams on espn3 but I need some sort of password from my cable provider, which I don't have.
I found some pretty sketchy sites to stream it and I don't want to risk some sort of virus on my computer.
Any help?
Yes I googledit.

http://xn--frstrowsports-39b.eu/soccer

http://gofirstrowus.eu/sport/football.html

martl
06-14-2014, 01:09 AM
Charles Nighbor

For once, not the sugardaddies, oligarchs or sheikhs determine who plays for a big title. Smaller countries without the financial muscle to maintain a league that can keep top talent have a chance to compete - when was the last time a dutch, a portugese team played a CL final?
Teams represent each countries characteristics to certain extent, a reason why many countries still predominantly work with home-grown managers, too.

ultraman6970
06-14-2014, 02:45 AM
Spain and Holland have a really consistent game play, so I wouldnt call them bad at all. Spain is the actual World champion and they won the tittle if im not wrong against Netherlands back in 2010. So this can tell you how bad or good they are.

The main problem with Spain is that is the same team that played 4 years ago, i notice seeing like 15 to 18 names that were in the previous cup and that makes the team just old, one thing is to have guys that play together all the time and another have guys that are just getting old like almost 80% of the spanish team.

Dunno if anybody noticed that amount of fake fouls spain got at their favor, including the one that got them the only goal, that thing was just idiotically fake. Holland just played their game and never gave up, the reward were 5 goals, spain just turned off the switch after goal #2 so you can't blame them (per say), now spain needs to win for a lot of goals to be able to classify, funny thing, Australia still have chances.

Chile played like they ever do, they move the ball from the center to the back but they never throw the ball to the front to attack, thats the reason they stop attacking and step off the gas and australia became a nightmare. Honestly was waiting for an even score 2-2 or something, Australia deserved it. Chile should lose against holland and spain. If Australia even scores in the next 2 games, darn... though call who is going home if this happens.

Brazil doubt will win this year... find them weak.

1X10
06-14-2014, 05:19 AM
Any help?
Yes I googledit.

Not sure if you can do south of the border but CBC.ca here 'au Canada' are LIVE streaming every game...Can be a couple minutes behind but GOOD nonetheless...:)

Idris Icabod
06-14-2014, 07:39 AM
You can stream it from ABC directly on a phone if you have a cable account. I'm having to watch the England match that way as I have to go to a wedding at exactly the same time (and I'm a card carrying Brit), bloody inconsiderate couple.

oldpotatoe
06-14-2014, 07:43 AM
Pathetic. the first match hinged on a pathetic dive by Fred. Anybody but Brazil.

Thoughts?

Fred??

Lanterne Rouge
06-14-2014, 08:12 AM
Install Hola on Google Chrome and it will give you multiple free VPN's including the UK. So you'll ne able to stream the game.

Worst case us eplsite.com or vipbox.com. both sites have annoying pop ups but once you shut them all down you're good to go.

I shall be going dans le bar to watch the game, natch.

djg
06-14-2014, 08:26 AM
Absolutely nothing would destroy the game as fast as having, and using instant replay. One of the beauties I'd the flow, and the speed of the game. Turning it into American football or hockey by stopping play every 4 minutes to spend 5 minutes reviewing a call would make a game 3 hours long and boring.

The refs make calls on the field, we get to second guess because we watch 9 replays from 16 angles and then can call the refs idiots, but they are there, they make the calls on the fly and the arms have to adjust. It is part of the game.

Technology does not have to be everywhere.

Basically agree, although I'm glad they have the camera and replay on the goal line -- that becomes relevant when there's likely a natural break in play, and it's far to easy to get a crucial call wrong if you're not actually on the line (and inside the goal itself, for that matter).

tuscanyswe
06-14-2014, 08:39 AM
One solution im suprised hasent been implemented yet would be to have a jury review suspect situations after the games and if players were found to have been diving they get long banns.

Ofc wont stop wrong offside calls and some other ref errors but i can live with those. The blatant dives on the other hand is ruining a big part of the enjoyment for me.

Players would adapt fast and diving would be rare and the game would benefit alot imo

djg
06-14-2014, 08:40 AM

Bogus penalty aside, Spain looked pretty good -- basically, like Spain -- for 45 minutes. Really, maybe 50 or so. The real question is not how they could get beat by VP's header or Robben's first goal, but how quality players could just fold like that. I suppose they started slow in 2010 too, but they didn't inspire confidence. Hell, they'll have to do better to get out of the group.

Really good attacking (or counter-attacking) play from Holland, at least in the second half -- good not to see the same embarrassing garbage they tried in the 2010 final.

jh_on_the_cape
06-14-2014, 08:40 AM
You can stream it from ABC directly on a phone if you have a cable account. I'm having to watch the England match that way as I have to go to a wedding at exactly the same time (and I'm a card carrying Brit), bloody inconsiderate couple.

yes, but I don't have cable... would some kind soul PM me their cable account password info??? please?
Univision Deportes is the only place to live stream the World Cup that's 100 percent free. Although the games will be broadcasted in Spanish, you don't need to sign in with a cable provider until the semifinals.
gooool!!

jh_on_the_cape
06-14-2014, 08:42 AM
Install Hola on Google Chrome and it will give you multiple free VPN's including the UK. So you'll ne able to stream the game.

Worst case us eplsite.com or vipbox.com. both sites have annoying pop ups but once you shut them all down you're good to go.

I shall be going dans le bar to watch the game, natch.

I have little kids, wife is out of town and so cannot really go to the pub... but might!

those other sites just really make me worry about malware, etc.

i will watch it on univision most likely.

goonster
06-14-2014, 08:52 AM
To me the world cup makes no sense at all.

You're not totally wrong. On some level, it really is just a glorified All-Star tournament, whose significance in pure sporting terms is not that great. It is wildly successful because the whole world is able to get in on the flag waving, which is satisfying in ways that "West vs. East" or "National League vs. American League" just isn't.

martl
06-14-2014, 10:12 AM
You're not totally wrong. On some level, it really is just a glorified All-Star tournament, whose significance in pure sporting terms is not that great.
Mr Maradona, Mr Pele or Mr Beckenbauer might not agree with you there. Being a member of a WC winning team is bigger than being member of a CL winners team. It will make you a hero. Being the *key* player in a WC winners team makes you a legend. Here in good ole Europe at least.

firerescuefin
06-14-2014, 10:45 AM
Mr Maradona, Mr Pele or Mr Beckenbauer might not agree with you there. Being a member of a WC winning team is bigger than being member of a CL winners team. It will make you a hero. Being the *key* player in a WC winners team makes you a legend. Here in good ole Europe at least.

Agreed.

Gsinill
06-14-2014, 11:35 AM
Yes, he is...

You're not totally wrong.

tuscanyswe
06-14-2014, 12:03 PM

Its true but also ver easy to feel that way when bourne in brazil, germany and argentina..

Cl is way more popular now too than it was when these legends played the game, cant compare.

PQJ
06-14-2014, 12:18 PM
Basically agree, although I'm glad they have the camera and replay on the goal line -- that becomes relevant when there's likely a natural break in play, and it's far to easy to get a crucial call wrong if you're not actually on the line (and inside the goal itself, for that matter).

The concern that instant replay in some form will 'destroy' the game is a little overblown. The technology we have is great and there's no reason not to use it. Give each team a maximum of 3 challenges. Limit it to circumstances when a goal has been scored. Limit it to instances occurring only in the penalty box. Etc. Add on time at the end, same as is done for injuries. The argument that allowing instant replay will somehow lead to TV ads is like saying if you smoke pot you'll end up a heroin addict.

As it stands, a ref's bias, inattention or simple inability to be in the right place at the right time is having a real adverse effect on the game, not just a theoretical one. If yesterday's penalty wasn't given, maybe Croatia hangs on for a tie. Or manages a win. If England's goal against Germany back in 2010 was allowed to stand, maybe England wins the game. Or the cup. Because Sepp is stuck in the 19th century, doesn't mean the rest of the world needs to be.

Gsinill
06-14-2014, 12:35 PM
As someone that was born and raised in Germany, to me the CL doesn't even come close to the WC or the European Cup.
I've been a huge FC Bayern Munich fan my whole life and even though my generation was raised in a fairly non patriotic way (for obvious reasons), I am sure that every German soccer fan would rank a WC/EC victory much higher than anything on the club level.
Patriotism was basically reintroduced in Germany with the 2006 World Cup - not sure any All Star Team would have been able to achieve something similar.

Its true but also ver easy to feel that way when bourne in brazil, germany and argentina..

tuscanyswe
06-14-2014, 01:34 PM
As someone that was born and raised in Germany, to me the CL doesn't even come close to the WC or the European Cup.
I've been a huge FC Bayern Munich fan my whole life and even though my generation was raised in a fairly non patriotic way (for obvious reasons), I am sure that every German soccer fan would rank a WC/EC victory much higher than anything on the club level.
Patriotism was basically reintroduced in Germany with the 2006 World Cup - not sure any All Star Team would have been able to achieve something similar.

Understandable. That was my point. But there is not that many nations that realisticly can challenge for the wc. I too would rather c sweden win the wc than my fav team win cl but its not going to happen.

cnighbor1
06-14-2014, 04:22 PM
Is this serious?
Yes Serious!!!!!! Just a way to get more funds for FCIAA
However some great soccer games to watch.

Charles Nighbor

jmoore
06-14-2014, 04:52 PM
The Univision feed is good. I can speak a bit of Spanish so its easy enough to follow.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

martl
06-14-2014, 05:45 PM
Yes Serious!!!!!! Just a way to get more funds for FCIAA

The WC in its current shape may be, but national teams and tournaments? Nope, you're wrong here.

Watch this from the irish who have won f*all in the history of football. Their team 0-4 down against spain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuOYYHLZEQk

Watch this and then tell me this is only about FIFAs or UEFAs $$$

Its our substitute because we don't as patriotically support our military who is in Afghanistan and Iraq all for patriotism, democracy and liberty, or was in the oil companies $$$, i forgot ;)

tuscanyswe
06-14-2014, 07:03 PM
For me ita eng was the best game so far even tho spain holland was more exciting. Pirlo, football god! Got to love the man

1X10
06-14-2014, 07:13 PM
Bit of a tough game to watch...Sturridge definitely played well for England but that heat and humidity looked to really take its toll...Hodgson should have unleashed an attack game immediately after that Balotelli goal, but I am no gaffer calling playbook @ WC!!!...:)

Italy looked very methodical...Pirlo is a great!!...

Len J
06-14-2014, 07:37 PM
Pirlo is a great!!...

This.

Len

Climb01742
06-14-2014, 08:00 PM
I thought England's goal was quite beautiful. By the end, everyone looked wilted. A preview of 2020?

Elefantino
06-14-2014, 08:06 PM
Peru isn't playing. Again.

Couldn't care less.

tuscanyswe
06-14-2014, 08:22 PM
Japan kit looks like rapha

pinoymamba
06-14-2014, 08:56 PM
i haven't seen japan dive. much respect.

wc1934
06-14-2014, 10:18 PM
Bit of a tough game to watch...Sturridge definitely played well for England but that heat and humidity looked to really take its toll...Hodgson should have unleashed an attack game immediately after that Balotelli goal, but I am no gaffer calling playbook @ WC!!!...:)

Italy looked very methodical...Pirlo is a great!!...

84 degrees - DeRossi stated it was so hot that at times he thought he was hallucinating - that will be nothing compared to what the players will have to deal with if they go thru with that fiasco in Qatar.

When I grow up I want to be Pirlo.

Italy did well especially with out Buffon and De Scigilo.

djg
06-15-2014, 08:21 AM
The concern that instant replay in some form will 'destroy' the game is a little overblown. The technology we have is great and there's no reason not to use it. Give each team a maximum of 3 challenges. Limit it to circumstances when a goal has been scored. Limit it to instances occurring only in the penalty box. Etc. Add on time at the end, same as is done for injuries. The argument that allowing instant replay will somehow lead to TV ads is like saying if you smoke pot you'll end up a heroin addict.

As it stands, a ref's bias, inattention or simple inability to be in the right place at the right time is having a real adverse effect on the game, not just a theoretical one. If yesterday's penalty wasn't given, maybe Croatia hangs on for a tie. Or manages a win. If England's goal against Germany back in 2010 was allowed to stand, maybe England wins the game. Or the cup. Because Sepp is stuck in the 19th century, doesn't mean the rest of the world needs to be.

Fair enough -- along the same lines as the goal line camera, properly limited use of replay could improve certain crucial calls without ruining the flow of the game. If I were to add a candidate circumstance to the goal-line camera, I would add penalty kicks -- somebody goes down in the box and there's great drama, and three angles and zoom doesn't necessarily get everything right, but could well eliminate some truly appalling calls that end up being decisive in a 1-0 match, or a serious turning point (perhaps Croatia, as you said). The game has stopped already, maybe they'd get it right. Much more than that, however, and I would worry about flow.

cookietom
06-15-2014, 09:29 AM
is it football or soccer?

jmoore
06-15-2014, 10:12 AM
They could add another referee to the game, similar to basketball. When a call was made they could confer and make sure it was correct. This would leave the flow intact but have a second set of eyes on the game. It might not stop all the nonsense but if a ref came over and yellow carded a guy for flopping and reversed a call, that would likely reduce it. Esp if a fine was associated with it.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

rwsaunders
06-15-2014, 05:57 PM
I'll stop watching European football if they go the way of American football and introduce instant replay, as it was only introduced so that the beer, pizza, car and pharmaceutical companies could by more advertising time.

goonster
06-16-2014, 08:37 AM
Mr Maradona, Mr Pele or Mr Beckenbauer might not agree with you there. Being a member of a WC winning team is bigger than being member of a CL winners team. It will make you a hero. Being the *key* player in a WC winners team makes you a legend.
This is a formulaic view I reject. My pantheon includes Sindelar, Puskas and Cruyff, but definitely not Matthäus, for example.

The point I'm making is broadly contrarian, but my contention is that Charles' outsider view can be squared with the purist's view.

Undeniably, the World Cup is the most brightly lit stage and provides unparalleled drama. But it's the cherry, not the cake. It is to the professional game what the Prom is to high school.

There was a time, not that long ago, when the World Cup was a rare opportunity to see top players from other continents, and the tournament did have a greater sporting significance. When Europeans were thrilled to discover, for example, Teofilo Cubillas. Or when the '82 Brazilian team, composed almost entirely of players plying their trade domestically, impressed with a style whose elegance and insouciance made them legends despite an ultimate failure to prevail over more pragmatic sides.

Patriotism was basically reintroduced in Germany with the 2006 World Cup

Now, I'll admit that the flag-waving of that summer warmed my heart a little too. I get it. I may have even indulged in a little private rendition of "Als die Römer frech geworden". But all this is only incidentally connected to Philipp Lahm running overlaps, or Michael Ballack distributing efficiently from midfield. This was a team defined more by low expectations than by how good they actually were. Everybody remembers the flags and the cheers. Fewer remember Fabio Grosso.

Perhaps nothing illustrates how the World Cup has become, more than anything else, entertainment for the greatest possible audience, a stage of mythmaking and an engine of pop culture meaning, than the example of Paul Gascoigne. A nation transfixed by tears of self-pity, shed by a figure both hero and clown.

England 1990, Germany 2006: Exhibits A & B of lasting cultural impact that dwarved anything achieved on the pitch.

Here in good ole Europe at least.
Ouch.

Well, I guess you can't know that I grew up on three continents, that I formed these views in the city of Happel, Merkel and Guttmann, that my native language is not English, or that I've been to Highbury, San Siro and the Camp Nou.

My view may be a minority dissent, but I hope nobody is left with the impression that I haven't thought about it enough, or that I'm insufficiently European.

jr59
06-16-2014, 09:19 AM
Don't follow futball at all except every 4 years or so. It a great game that normally I don't follow.

Yet even though the USA is doomed, I will still watch as much as I can.

I'm really looking forward to the Germany vs Portgull game this afternoon.

I like watching the biggest flopper of all time in Ronaldo. That and the Germans counter attacks. Both are thing of beauty.

BobC
06-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Wow. Portugal just imploded (could they be the 2014 version of the 2010 French team?)

Pepe...gone (deservedly so too)
2 others (Coentrao & Almeida) down with bad hamstrings?

tuscanyswe
06-16-2014, 01:25 PM
Pepe had that coming and then some. Amazing what he gets away with sometimes.

I never thought portugal would be able to win it but i did expect them to play some defensive football and hold the germans off for far longer.

Looking forward to seeing USA play tonight. I keep waiting for the US team to evolve and become a really good team. Remember thinking all rdy after 94 that they would soon be a team to recon with but they keep me waiting it seems..

vqdriver
06-16-2014, 06:37 PM
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/dar-mondays-19.jpg?w=500

tuscanyswe
06-16-2014, 06:50 PM
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/dar-mondays-19.jpg?w=500

Good one!

rustychisel
06-16-2014, 06:55 PM
+ 1

USA vs Ghana game... great football!!!!

Louis
06-16-2014, 07:09 PM
Great game, but too bad they lost Altidore. Is he done for the tournament?

tuscanyswe
06-16-2014, 07:13 PM
I must admit i feel for ghana but scoreline is what matters in the end.
I can c portugal failing to get the 2nd spot tbh. They are not a great team and their morale will be low. Keep them from scoring for a while and i can c them folding.

Never seen anyone come back from that kind of injury fast enough to play more in the wc. Zlatan had a similar one recently and was out for almost 2 months (will ofc vary with magnitude but no more wc in my laymans opinon).

ultraman6970
06-16-2014, 07:44 PM
Ghana played great football, no doubt about that. USA played fine but with a little bit of luck they got a good score, just being honest because you can't win with some luck aswell. The good news for Ghana is that at least arent 5 goals but one. They look way better than Portugal, because they need to win and for a lot of goals to have chances to pass to second round.

Brazil should win to mexico but at this point would be nice to see mexico writing a check to Brazil for 2 goals tomorrow.

1X10
06-16-2014, 07:50 PM
Even though that red card set the tone, Germany looked gooooood...

Better yet, look @ who sat the bench...An A squad itself!!!

Only 1 game but, other nations better be taking note...

AS for Portugal, meh...Do you think Pepe will ask for transfer to Bundesligia anytime soon...:)

wc1934
06-16-2014, 09:32 PM
+ 1

Ahhh - not for me. The result was great (for the US), but the game (IMHO) was played very poorly. US can't keep giving the ball away - If they do, Portugal will make them pay. Goal differential may be big.

wc1934
06-16-2014, 09:36 PM
is it football or soccer?

Soccer is football -
NFL is throwball.

Louis
06-16-2014, 10:34 PM
FIFA does its best to prevent folks from posting clips from the game on Youtube, but I managed to find Clint Dempsey's goal for the US, and it was pretty impressive - very nice ball control. Ten years ago and you wouldn't be seeing that sort of skill from a US player.

rustychisel
06-17-2014, 12:06 AM
Ahhh - not for me. The result was great (for the US), but the game (IMHO) was played very poorly. US can't keep giving the ball away - If they do, Portugal will make them pay. Goal differential may be big.

Agreed, but compared to say the Germany vs Portugal game it was more interesting to watch the cut n thrust of it.

This is the aspect that fans of Australian Rules don't get, they alway want to know how I can like a game with a potential 0-0 scoreline.

Anyway, mostly the USA vs Ghana seemed played in good temper etc. Portugal will be hurting to salvage some reputation.

djg
06-17-2014, 06:38 AM

Acknowledging a few mishaps in the back, we played pretty well on defense, and had some good moments on the attack. Where we looked bad was in the midfield. As you say, we gave way too many balls away and even Bradley looked rattled by the pressure and pace. Howard gets some credit, for sure, and props for a couple of nice finishes.

No worries, it's not as if Germany has a strong mid . . . oops, wait, no, that does not bode well.

ultraman6970
06-17-2014, 07:21 AM
Thats what i meant about lucky... the 1st goal was because ghana was just looking at the stars, the second one if the 1st guy doesnt fail to hit 100% the ball would not have hit the other kid's head, great goal but which are the chances to do all of that on purpose? :)

FlashUNC
06-17-2014, 07:25 AM
The win gives us a punchers chance of getting out of the group. All you can really hope for in this Group of Death this time around.

ultraman6970
06-17-2014, 07:27 AM
USA started great, feel happy for that team. As long they don't lose any game they are ok. Portugal is so screwed now... Spain the same.

The win gives us a punchers chance of getting out of the group. All you can really hope for in this Group of Death this time around.

BobC
06-17-2014, 07:40 AM
Thats what i meant about lucky... the 1st goal was because ghana was just looking at the stars, the second one if the 1st guy doesnt fail to hit 100% the ball would not have hit the other kid's head, great goal but which are the chances to do all of that on purpose? :)

Ummm, I don't think either goal was lucky at all. On the first goal, the US build up was quick & deadly and the Deuce's finish was clinical.

The second goal was text book US. They are very strong on set pieces and practice corners for hours & hours. Get big bodies in the box & attack the lanes. Boom!

Losing Jozy was huge. I know he gets maligned (especially at Sunderland), but he serves as the focal point for the USMNT. Get him the ball, he holds it up & they build from there.

Time for Jurgen to trot out Plan B for Portugal.

PQJ
06-17-2014, 08:55 AM
USA started great, feel happy for that team. As long they don't lose any game they are ok. Portugal is so screwed now... Spain the same.

Portugal is screwed because they're not a great team. Ronaldo can't win games single-handedly, even if he thinks he can.

Spain played horribly, but that's how sport goes sometimes. They lost their first game in 2010 and we know how that campaign ended. I'm no fan of the Spanish team but saying they're screwed after one loss is a bit of a stretch.

nathanong87
06-17-2014, 08:59 AM
+ 1

that game sucked.

USA looked tired in the second half and ghana was bound to score. I was super stoked for Zusi and his cross! he's been crushing it ever since college and im glad to see two UMD players in the national team.

i thought on paper portugal might have won the group, but germany made them look amateur imho.

USA i think* , can draw or beat portugal. And germany we'll settle with a loss but #2 group placing =)

IN DEMPSEY WE TRUST. i like the dude, cuz whenever he scores he celebrates like it's his first goal ever.

firerescuefin
06-17-2014, 08:59 AM
Ummm, I don't think either goal was lucky at all. On the first goal, the US build up was quick & deadly and the Deuce's finish was clinical.

The second goal was text book US. They are very strong on set pieces and practice corners for hours & hours. Get big bodies in the box & attack the lanes. Boom!

Losing Jozy was huge. I know he gets maligned (especially at Sunderland), but he serves as the focal point for the USMNT. Get him the ball, he holds it up & they build from there.

Time for Jurgen to trot out Plan B for Portugal.

This^

MattTuck
06-17-2014, 11:17 AM
Can someone who knows the game explain the following. Clint Dempsey got kicked in the face while trying to head the ball.

Isn't this a dangerous play that should be penalized with some sort of card (yellow or red)? In a previous game I was watching, a player tried to make a similar near the head kick, although no contact was made, and there was a free kick awarded.

Just curious.

Anarchist
06-17-2014, 11:58 AM
It's a bit much to say he got "kicked in the face" which would imply boot to nose.

They were both playing for the ball, there was incidental contact between what appeared to be the shin and face; and no way was it intentional.

Free kick at most.

I am continually shocked at how high these guys can jump.

goonster
06-17-2014, 12:00 PM
Isn't this a dangerous play that should be penalized with some sort of card (yellow or red)? In a previous game I was watching, a player tried to make a similar near the head kick, although no contact was made, and there was a free kick awarded.
The referee considers intent.

Among other things, it is a foul to trip, kick or strike an opponent, or to attempt to do so. (Which is why you can have a foul without contact.) Dangerous play is typically called when a player lifts his boot above roughly chest level with an opponent in the proximity, even if no contact is made. Those bets are off when a player goes to head a contested ball below chest level.

Then, the following aggravating factors are applied:
Careless = wag of the finger
Reckless = yellow
Excessive force = red

The way I saw the Dempsey whack, they both contested a ball in the air, the incidental contact unbalanced the Ghanaian player, and his leg went up on his way down. Tough luck for Dempsey, but this was effectively ruled an accident, unintentional, without recklessness.

Lanterne Rouge
06-17-2014, 12:29 PM
Can someone who knows the game explain the following. Clint Dempsey got kicked in the face while trying to head the ball.

Just curious.

It comes down to whether the player with the raised boot has a "right" to go for the ball or not. And whether the player is under control. Anything reckless should be penalized. Some players lean in to a 50/50 ball with their head as they know the other player will probably pull out.

MattTuck
06-17-2014, 12:36 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/clint-dempsey-kicked-face-playing/story?id=24166723

This is the play that I'm referring to. I just figured there would be like a high stick rule like in hockey, where trying to play the ball near an opponents head is a big no-no.

martl
06-17-2014, 01:00 PM
This is a formulaic view I reject. My pantheon includes Sindelar, Puskas and Cruyff, but definitely not Matthäus, for example.

The point I'm making is broadly contrarian, but my contention is that Charles' outsider view can be squared with the purist's view.

Undeniably, the World Cup is the most brightly lit stage and provides unparalleled drama. But it's the cherry, not the cake. It is to the professional game what the Prom is to high school.

There was a time, not that long ago, when the World Cup was a rare opportunity to see top players from other continents, and the tournament did have a greater sporting significance. When Europeans were thrilled to discover, for example, Teofilo Cubillas. Or when the '82 Brazilian team, composed almost entirely of players plying their trade domestically, impressed with a style whose elegance and insouciance made them legends despite an ultimate failure to prevail over more pragmatic sides.

Now, I'll admit that the flag-waving of that summer warmed my heart a little too. I get it. I may have even indulged in a little private rendition of "Als die Römer frech geworden". But all this is only incidentally connected to Philipp Lahm running overlaps, or Michael Ballack distributing efficiently from midfield. This was a team defined more by low expectations than by how good they actually were. Everybody remembers the flags and the cheers. Fewer remember Fabio Grosso.

Perhaps nothing illustrates how the World Cup has become, more than anything else, entertainment for the greatest possible audience, a stage of mythmaking and an engine of pop culture meaning, than the example of Paul Gascoigne. A nation transfixed by tears of self-pity, shed by a figure both hero and clown.

England 1990, Germany 2006: Exhibits A & B of lasting cultural impact that dwarved anything achieved on the pitch.

Ouch.

Well, I guess you can't know that I grew up on three continents, that I formed these views in the city of Happel, Merkel and Guttmann, that my native language is not English, or that I've been to Highbury, San Siro and the Camp Nou.

My view may be a minority dissent, but I hope nobody is left with the impression that I haven't thought about it enough, or that I'm insufficiently European.

Heh - no offense meant!

But if you lived in Austria, you will know that any 86 year old granny in her "trafik" will respond to "Cordoba 1986" with "Krankl!!! Tooor! Tooor! Tooor! I wer narrisch!" Even if she doesn't know or care what a great club career he had and will possibly not even know who Hickersberger or Senekovich were.

The most iconic pictures of the sport have been created at world cups - pele scoring against Sweden, garrinchas dribblings, maradonas hand of god, the Wembley goal.
It is no exaggeration to say that the 54 title was instrumental in kick starting the German "Wirtschaftswunder".
The WC is the biggest thing in a sport that is popular worldwide like no other, and certainly bigger than the bunch of clowns currently running it in Geneva.

goonster
06-17-2014, 01:15 PM
any 86 year old granny in her "trafik" will respond to "Cordoba 1986" with "Krankl!!! Tooor! Tooor! Tooor! I wer narrisch!"
It was '78, but we can still be friends!

nathanong87
06-17-2014, 01:28 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/clint-dempsey-kicked-face-playing/story?id=24166723

This is the play that I'm referring to. I just figured there would be like a high stick rule like in hockey, where trying to play the ball near an opponents head is a big no-no.

yea we know which play you were referring to (unless there were multiple blows to dempsey's face)

but as they've said, it's based on intent, even with my USA glasses on, i saw it as , a 50/50 challenge and it was like the force of dempsey against the ghana player than even sparked the ghana guy to go 'off balance' in the air which his leg went super high.

going into the challenge, the ghana guy wasn't aiming to kick dempsey in the face.

Gsinill
06-17-2014, 01:31 PM
Did you guys really have to bring that one up? :mad:It was '78, but we can still be friends!

1X10
06-17-2014, 06:07 PM
Mexico v Brasil...I was able to catch the second half...Mexico I think looked decent and was really trying to bag a rocket from outside the box...Brasil???...I think they need to switch the starting 10, no matter if Hulk starts next game or not...

Brasil had great control but seemed to be lacking the 'finish'?

beeatnik
06-17-2014, 06:14 PM
Viva Mexico!

and, um

Go USA..cos, ya kno, I'm an American..and, um, care about soccer every 4 years. How's Russia doing?

Louis
06-17-2014, 06:29 PM
How's Russia doing?

Not too well now.

Lanterne Rouge
06-17-2014, 07:07 PM
The Russia and Korea game really came to life in the last twenty. It's no understatement to say that I love the World Cup.

Louis
06-17-2014, 07:45 PM
The Russian goalkeeper will be bumming tonight as he tries to go to sleep.

rustychisel
06-17-2014, 10:03 PM
The Russian goalkeeper will be bumming tonight as he tries to go to sleep.

It means something a little different, but yes, he'll need an enema to flush thast performance away

Louis
06-17-2014, 10:06 PM
Just for the record:
bum·mer
ˈbəmər/
noun
informal
noun: bummer; plural noun: bummers; noun: a bummer

a thing that is annoying or disappointing.
"the party was a real bummer"
an unpleasant reaction to a hallucinogenic drug.
North American
a loafer or vagrant.

exclamation
informal
exclamation: bummer

used to express frustration or disappointment, typically sympathetically.
"You lost your wallet? Bummer!"

ultraman6970
06-17-2014, 10:35 PM
Mexico played awesome today, not even close to other teams they had, the goalkeeper is the luckiest man alive, he needs to play lotto or something this week.

Korea played great IMO, thought russia was going to win at least 2-1 but never expected a game like the one I saw, the russian goalkeeper will end up in siberia by the end of the month :P

Tomorrow spain vs chile, spain should win this one w/o big problems.

martl
06-18-2014, 01:01 AM
Yet another Brazil team that fails to raise emotions when watching them. A bunch of overrated Nike poster boys...

Can we have *them* back, prettyplease?
http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7079569_f496.jpg

*sigh*

nathanong87
06-18-2014, 12:38 PM
Mexico played awesome today, not even close to other teams they had, the goalkeeper is the luckiest man alive, he needs to play lotto or something this week.

Korea played great IMO, thought russia was going to win at least 2-1 but never expected a game like the one I saw, the russian goalkeeper will end up in siberia by the end of the month :P

i dunno...chile played awesome their first game. And spain played terrible their first game.

Lanterne Rouge
06-18-2014, 02:05 PM
i dunno...chile played awesome their first game. And spain played terrible their first game.

Spain and Chile is the biggest game today. Squeaky bum time for the Spanish for sure. Tomorrow the biggie is England and Uruguay. The same situation, a must win for both.

martl
06-18-2014, 03:23 PM
It was '78, but we can still be friends!

Did you guys really have to bring that one up? :mad:

see? So, who played the Allstar game in 1978?? :D (no google, please)

Md3000
06-18-2014, 04:24 PM

Adios!

Does put Hollands earlier performance against Spain in perspective a bit. Hope they see it that way, play solid against chile and avoid brasil

tuscanyswe
06-18-2014, 05:10 PM
So who do you have down as winners after having watched all teams play at least 1 game?

Made a small bet before the games started that Argentina was loosing out to Germany in the final. I dont think theres a clear favorite at this point tho. Brazil dont look good enough imo but i guess its still time to turn it on.

Must say i enjoy the wc a lot, almost every game is great so far!

PQJ
06-18-2014, 05:31 PM
Argentina or Germany for me. Would be nice to see Messi score the big one, but Germany are Germany.

Thought Brasil would be a shoe-in for victory. Before the cup began. Now I'm not sure they'll make it to the final.

Still, after the group phase in South Africa, it looked like the South Americans were dominating, and we ended up with an all European final.

tuscanyswe
06-18-2014, 05:47 PM
Germany is Germany and thats what makes me doubt my bet :) They usually have one really crap game out of nowhere where they cant seem to get going despite looking great up to that point.

Sure id like to c Messi clinch it for Argentina too at least if they start to play a bit more attractive as we know they can.

Italy on the other hand, i love how they play football. They dont have the squad on paper to win the wc imo but id love to c pirlo score the decider in the final.

Climb01742
06-18-2014, 06:06 PM
Don't sleep on the Netherlands. Their two Rob(b)ins make them a very hard team to defend. Odds are no one will beat Germany but I like the dual threat Holland has.

ultraman6970
06-18-2014, 07:33 PM
Well i said yesterday that spain should not have problems but after seeing the way both played, well no comments for spain... chile played great and spain played like crap. Would be something incredible if Australia actually wins to Spain.

ultraman6970
06-18-2014, 07:34 PM
At this point can't tell who can win between chile and Holland.

Adios!

Does put Hollands earlier performance against Spain in perspective a bit. Hope they see it that way, play solid against chile and avoid brasil

1X10
06-18-2014, 07:35 PM
Holland looked solid against and very upbeat Aussie side...RVP draws a yellow and misses the next but will allow him a bit of rest...

No tears for Espana departure...

I am sure FIFA would love to sink there meat hooks into a Brasil v Germany final, however Brasil needs to 'bulge the onion sack" a lot more:)

France and Italy can still be sneaky with not a lot of hype on them...

Rest of world???...Not this time, unless the south American contingents can really draw on some nationalist support!!!

Nonetheless, great football so far:hello::hello:

tuscanyswe
06-18-2014, 07:44 PM
Brazil Germany will most likely be in the semi again each other. Cant c Germany not winning their group and Brazil should win comfortably against a Cameron with no chance of advancing in the last game. I guess brazil could come 2nd after Mexico on goal difference but i doubt it.

You dont fancy Argentina then?

Louis
06-18-2014, 08:21 PM
I bet the Aussies will be way more motivated to play well than the Spanish. That doesn't mean that Australia will win, but I do think that they'll try as hard as they can. Can't really say that about Spain.

goonster
06-18-2014, 08:34 PM
Italy.

Solid, confident, fit, combining unselfishly, tactically flexible, deep bench. Can't really think of a better striker in the box than Balotelli, when he is focused.

Prandelli is very good, his star will definitely continue to rise.

wc1934
06-18-2014, 09:04 PM
Italy.

Solid, confident, fit, combining unselfishly, tactically flexible, deep bench. Can't really think of a better striker in the box than Balotelli, when he is focused.

+1.
I love the 4-2-1-2-1 formation that Prandelli has introduced, but would like to see Mario play facing the goal as opposed to the number 1 with his back to the goal, because as soon as he touches the ball there are 2 defenders on him.
I would love to see Italy get that 5th star.

ultraman6970
06-19-2014, 01:46 AM
Agree... what would like to see is the reserve guys to play this time, why? just to give them the chance, did not work with the good ones, maybe the other ones can do something. Would be awesome to see Australia to win...tho.

I bet the Aussies will be way more motivated to play well than the Spanish. That doesn't mean that Australia will win, but I do think that they'll try as hard as they can. Can't really say that about Spain.

1X10
06-19-2014, 03:42 AM
Italy.

Balotelli????...I know he can score but the larger then life side show he produces is difficult to take...:)

Still I think Italy are sneaky strong!!

1X10
06-19-2014, 03:46 AM
Brazil Germany will most likely be in the semi again each other. Cant c Germany not winning their group and Brazil should win comfortably against a Cameron with no chance of advancing in the last game. I guess brazil could come 2nd after Mexico on goal difference but i doubt it.

Argentina???...They have that strong support from fans, as does Chile and can probably move forward based on this alone...oh yes, and Messi...

martl
06-19-2014, 03:47 AM
Italy.

Italy: as a team, boring to watch, hard to beat.
As an old fart myself it is fun watching Pirlo taking the kids to school occasionally.
The next games will tell how he copes with the heat and how much the team depends on him. Apart from him and Balotelli (if he feels like it) i don't see much world class. I recon Brazil, Holland, Argentina, Germany, based on current form also Chile could give them a very hard time.

nathanong87
06-19-2014, 05:42 AM
Well i said yesterday that spain should not have problems but after seeing the way both played, well no comments for spain... chile played great and spain played like crap. Would be something incredible if Australia actually wins to Spain.

if austrailia had cahill for the 3rd game, maybe. They gave holland a run for their money. Cahill's goal is goal of the tournament so far for sure.

Austrailia looked tired near the end, similar to USA v Ghana.

HOlland v Chile will be a great game i think. I have holland.

i rank them (holland) above argentina. Germany looks great as well.

djg
06-19-2014, 06:40 AM

Thus far Brazil looks to be the inferior side in a Brazil/Germany match. Germany might find a game to go flat, and Brazil might come together more -- there's talent there, no doubt -- but based on the past week it doesn't look as close as it should.

Argentina, maybe, if they gel a little more. Messi's game 1 goal was beautiful and there was some good ball control, but not a great game overall.

Netherlands, despite the squeaker against Australia, looks dangerous to me -- some very good play and VP and Robben are finishing.

Dark horses -- maybe France, Italy.

USA, USA . . . no, not this time. The (attainable) dream is to make it out of the group. Especially if we can get a win against a diminished Portugal.

nathanong87
06-19-2014, 07:23 AM
Dark horses -- maybe France, Italy.

USA, USA . . . no, not this time. The (attainable) dream is to make it out of the group. Especially if we can get a win against a diminished Portugal.

yea FRANCE looked good!

USA , i hope does a 'chile' to portugal! im hopeful.

Lanterne Rouge
06-19-2014, 07:25 AM
I would love to see Italy get that 3rd star.

To a purist 34' and 38' don't count, just sayin.

Gsinill
06-19-2014, 08:21 AM
Germany could make it all the way through...but not past Italy ;)

ultraman6970
06-19-2014, 09:48 AM
Italian wc teams arent that strong as before. Italian team is ok but I think Germans are going to do it better IMO.

nathanong87
06-19-2014, 10:15 AM
Italian wc teams arent that strong as before. Italian team is ok but I think Germans are going to do it better IMO.

x2 , italians were not as impressive as the germans are/were

Gsinill
06-19-2014, 11:54 AM
Nothing to do with actual performance, purely psychological.

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany–Italy_football_rivalry):

"Up to June 2014, Italy is largely dominant in the head-to-head international matchup, having beaten Germany 15 times in 32 games (10 draws) (7 defeats).
Added to the negative record, the Germans have never been able to defeat Italy in a any competitive game.
In fact, all Germany's wins over Italy have been through international friendlies by winning 7 games and the last victory for the Germans was 21st June 1995 in Zurich result ended 2-0."

In my opinion, at the last EC, Germany was the better team overall but nevertheless they got their a$$ kicked by la squadra azzura :(

x2 , italians were not as impressive as the germans are/were

wc1934
06-19-2014, 09:43 PM
To a purist 34' and 38' don't count, just sayin.

Nope - they count. First one in 1934.
Forza Italia!

Anarchist
06-19-2014, 09:59 PM
The best advice of the last 100 years is "Beware of Germany"

on and off the soccer pitch.

ultraman6970
06-19-2014, 10:11 PM
Darn England, they played so good today, but they just screwed up leaving one guy to touch the ball... the guy who did 2 to them. Bad luck man... pure bad luck...

ceewho
06-20-2014, 12:36 AM
Darn England, they played so good today, but they just screwed up leaving one guy to touch the ball... the guy who did 2 to them. Bad luck man... pure bad luck...

Can't leave Suarez of all people! But yeah, that match could've really gone either way... Rooney finally scored in the wc finals, yet he couldn't quite convert on a couple other great opportunities. (The late first half header and the handball freekick)

martl
06-20-2014, 01:26 AM
Can't leave Suarez of all people! But yeah, that match could've really gone either way... Rooney finally scored in the wc finals, yet he couldn't quite convert on a couple other great opportunities. (The late first half header and the handball freekick)

both teams weren't great. Uruquay played their hearts out and were visibly fatigued in the end. England looked just hapless for a team that represents the so-called strongest league in the world.
Defenders punting the ball in row z, switching over from defense to attack took ages again and again, compare that to the dutch, the spanish of a few years a go, or germany on a good day. It looked like a flashback from the evil past.
The chances they created were not so much the product of good play but of willpower and luck (in case of the goal)

1X10
06-20-2014, 02:10 AM
England????...Somethings just not right and it looks like another 4 years to have the daily rags debate!!...

I really like Rooney and think he is good, but???...Maybe just because I am a ManU supporter:)

Suarez of course is the one who drives the 3 points home...If any LFC supporters are out there who want to comment please do, because my prediction is this kid is going to end up in Madrid after the WC, no matter how big $$ or present contract...

Side note...maybe I shouldn't be asking for LFC input after I just stated I am a ManU supporter:no:

martl
06-20-2014, 02:27 AM
England????...Somethings just not right and it looks like another 4 years to have the daily rags debate!!...

Yep, that would be the english way: wait a few years and see if a miracle happens. It is the strongest league in the world, isn't it? After all, the english player of the season won the game last night :D
Won't change a bit unless the whole system is reformed. Homegrown english players don't lack talent, but many lack tactical and technical skills. You can't play like Barca, Bayern or Dortmund just with a bunch of talented individuals.

The FA needs to establish consistent youth work, force clubs to spend a % of the money they are throwing at foreign talent on their academies, force them to hire certified coaches, raise the level of coaching training - all the things other nations (Spain, Netherlands, Germany) have done for years.

goonster
06-20-2014, 07:37 AM
If any LFC supporters are out there who want to comment please do, because my prediction is this kid is going to end up in Madrid after the WC, no matter how big $$ or present contract...
If he was going to go, he would have gone last year, with a chance to wipe the slate clear of the suspension and the lingering cloud from the Evra beef.

Now, with the Champions League and a team in the ascendancy, I don't see him leaving to play second fiddle to Ronaldo. He doesn't strike me as a guy for whom only the most glamorous address is fit to house his ego, but who knows.

Lanterne Rouge
06-20-2014, 07:56 AM
Yep, that would be the english way: wait a few years and see if a miracle happens. It is the strongest league in the world, isn't it? After all, the english player of the season won the game last night :D
Won't change a bit unless the whole system is reformed. Homegrown english players don't lack talent, but many lack tactical and technical skills. You can't play like Barca, Bayern or Dortmund just with a bunch of talented individuals.

The FA needs to establish consistent youth work, force clubs to spend a % of the money they are throwing at foreign talent on their academies, force them to hire certified coaches, raise the level of coaching training - all the things other nations (Spain, Netherlands, Germany) have done for years.

Look at the statistics - in all keys areas we, England, dominated in both games. Possession, pass completion, shots and the like. We now play possession football (Spain et al) but the successful teams this time around are playing much more directly (Netherlands, Germany et al) - which is ironically how England used to play.

All England fans knew this WC was a stepping stone and the Euros in 2016 are an attainable target. And of course we're going to win the WC next time of asking :banana:

poff
06-20-2014, 08:05 AM
As a LFC supporter I am very happy for Luis. I hope that he stays @ LFC and will lead us to some trophies next season. If he goes, then hopefully LFC will pocket at least 100M quid for him as he is better than Bale. YNWA

goonster
06-20-2014, 08:16 AM
Look at the statistics - in all keys areas we, England, dominated in both games. Possession, pass completion, shots and the like. We now play possession football (Spain et al) but the successful teams this time around are playing much more directly (Netherlands, Germany et al) - which is ironically how England used to play.
The possession stats are skewed by the fact that, both times, England conceded a first-half, and then chased the game. There is a big difference between endlessly seeking to penetrate the defence, and the tiki-taka (when it works) that imperiously denies opponents the ball.

This England squad was built around a spine of Liverpool players accustomed to a fairly direct style, so there was no lack of intent. If they had taken the lead in either game we might be singing a different tune.

Lanterne Rouge
06-20-2014, 10:03 AM
The possession stats are skewed by the fact that, both times, England conceded a first-half, and then chased the game. There is a big difference between endlessly seeking to penetrate the defence, and the tiki-taka (when it works) that imperiously denies opponents the ball.

This England squad was built around a spine of Liverpool players accustomed to a fairly direct style, so there was no lack of intent. If they had taken the lead in either game we might be singing a different tune.

An early goal would have made the world of difference - I agree with that. The rest of your assessment I don't. Either way as a nation we're years behind most other European nations; we're like Spain 12 years and Germany 8 years ago. There is genuine intent for the FA to rebuild the foundations of the game.

nathanong87
06-20-2014, 10:06 AM

not to mention that smalling and jones suck at defense (and im a Man U fan).

I dont like seeing england lose because i like their league alot, but for me Uruaguay had the beating of them on paper for sure. Their strike force is unreal (on paper). Suarez is coming off an epic season, scoring those goals in the EPL > CR7 and messi scoring in La liga i think. So Suarez had alot of form going into this tournament.

Gsinill
06-20-2014, 12:57 PM
Gotta love this WC: Spain out, England out, Italy struggling; amazing how the gap closed between the powerhouses and teams that were considered underdogs a few years ago.

vav
06-20-2014, 01:27 PM
Well...Costa Rica is in, England is out. One spot left for Uruguay/Italy. That match is going to be interesting. Uruguay has some momentum after beating England and Italy will have to regroup fast. Good good

ultraman6970
06-20-2014, 08:24 PM
If no luck between any of the two teams (Uruguay or Italy), it is a tough call because both teams are similar.

ultraman6970
06-20-2014, 08:36 PM
Dunno if anybody said this but honestly, all of the strong teams that are ready to be gone or gone already have goalkeepers that are really bad. The african teams had/have the worse ones.

1X10
06-21-2014, 03:32 AM
France v Swiss...So much for the Swiss and their staunch midfield defence!!...Not sure if France is that good or a lapse in the playbook for the Swiss...Was definitely entertaining to see some goals:hello::hello:

As for Italy and there lack lustre play???...Sets up the Uruguay game nicely...Suarez v Balotelli, will make for something interesting for sure...

Bookmakers and betting agencies must be enjoying this WC immensely!!

wc1934
06-21-2014, 01:46 PM
Gotta love this WC: Spain out, England out, Italy struggling; amazing how the gap closed between the powerhouses and teams that were considered underdogs a few years ago.
Spain out, england out, and either Italy/Uruguay out, and USA may go thru. Who would have thunk that?

tuscanyswe
06-21-2014, 02:00 PM
Spain out, england out, and either Italy/Uruguay out, and USA may go thru. Who would have thunk that?

Not me, tho i did bet on england not making it out of the group stage. But italy/Uruguay and spain?

Its turning in to a spectacular world cup imo. Im loving it!

The difference between the powerhouses and the rest of the world has become increasingly smaller (can you say that) and thats really benefitting to the viewers and fans.

rwsaunders
06-21-2014, 02:14 PM
Great play by the Iranian and Argentine keepers today. The Iranian keeper can tell his grand children that he held Argentina scoreless in the World Cup in regulation time, only to be scored on by Lionel Messi...

Climb01742
06-21-2014, 02:18 PM
Argentina did not look like a champion today. Messi didn't either...until he did. How small was that gap he threaded the ball through? Never let him get the ball on his left foot. I hope his two goals so far this cup help Argentina love him because without him? Tickets home.;)

tuscanyswe
06-21-2014, 02:42 PM
Hmm not so sure. I think alot of players in Argentina would step up if messi were injured or out for whatever reasons.
Its like they are all waiting for him to step up for good but also bad.

Its not like their offensive powers are poor without messi. Their offensive is ridiculous on paper.

tuscanyswe
06-21-2014, 03:52 PM
What a game Ger vs Ghana has been!

jr59
06-21-2014, 04:26 PM

agree 100%

Gsinill
06-21-2014, 04:28 PM
Not good for Germany; depending on a win over the US is dangerous - to say the least!

Anarchist
06-21-2014, 04:30 PM
Not good for Germany; depending on a win over the US is dangerous - to say the least!

Not really.

beeatnik
06-21-2014, 05:59 PM
Good job Ghana. Too bad about the bad luck against that other inferior side .

1X10
06-21-2014, 06:45 PM

This plus some!!

1centaur
06-21-2014, 09:46 PM
Iran was very impressive today. A tie would have seemed a fair result, but you can't complain about the greatness of Messi's shot.

And while Ghana got their spirits flying and looked far better in doing so than they did against the US, Germany used their discipline in the face of their fear and despite the wind in the sails for Ghana. That was real class.

ultraman6970
06-21-2014, 11:58 PM
Iran deserved a goal, they hold argentina like real champs. Bad luck too (messi was great in the goal tho), they let messi to touch one ball right and the scored the goal. Either way Argentina havent been able to liquidate any of their games and that means that they are winnable.

Bosnia got terrible bad luck today, 1st the nullified goal and then an uncalled fault, and then to kill it all, the 2 or 3 more goals that ended in the hands of the goalkeeper or hitting the tubes, just pure bad luck, feel sorry for them.

Tomorrow.... Go USA, GO!!! If they keep Ronaldo of getting any darn goal the US could win this one w/o any problems.

1X10
06-22-2014, 03:10 AM
Interesting match today with United States v Portugal...It could have some really big implications if Jurgen's lads decide to take it to them....This group is going to some down to those 3rd games and goals:banana:

Agreed that this WC is really producing some great games!! And no lack of physical play...The tackling is incredible and very aggressive...You don't see the contact on normal screening but when they show close ups and slow motion???...Damn, they have to be sore!!!

djg
06-22-2014, 09:05 AM
Iran deserved a goal, they hold argentina like real champs. Bad luck too (messi was great in the goal tho), they let messi to touch one ball right and the scored the goal. Either way Argentina havent been able to liquidate any of their games and that means that they are winnable.

Bosnia got terrible bad luck today, 1st the nullified goal and then an uncalled fault, and then to kill it all, the 2 or 3 more goals that ended in the hands of the goalkeeper or hitting the tubes, just pure bad luck, feel sorry for them.

Tomorrow.... Go USA, GO!!! If they keep Ronaldo of getting any darn goal the US could win this one w/o any problems.

I dunno about Iran. Yes, they played very well -- extremely solid in the back, with some dangerous counter-attacks. And I understand the complaint about the no-call on the penalty, which really did look like a penalty (although, to be fair, he did get a small touch on the ball, would have gotten more if not for the odd hop, and was not really coming through the back). But I always have mixed feelings about these "deserved to win" arguments when one side fails to get a penalty call. And while we're on calls, a penalty is probably a goal but not certainly a goal, and at the other end, Iran got away with many, many fouls, including a few hard fouls and a couple of dangerous plays -- always a few missed calls on either end, to be sure, but a card or two here or there also can add up to an impact. Argentina had the weaknesses (and strengths really) that everybody saw. What was striking to me was that they seemed just terrible on offensive set pieces. After a while, it just wasn't clear that Iran had anything much to worry about in "giving up" a corner. One good, but not that good, header out of . . . ?

tuscanyswe
06-22-2014, 09:45 AM
Interesting match today with United States v Portugal...It could have some really big implications if Jurgen's lads decide to take it to them....This group is going to some down to those 3rd games and goals:banana:

Agreed that this WC is really producing some great games!! And no lack of physical play...The tackling is incredible and very aggressive...You don't see the contact on normal screening but when they show close ups and slow motion???...Damn, they have to be sore!!!

Yeah its nice that the refs are also letting the players be physical without blowing the whistle for everything as they sometimes do. Small players are sometimes to protected by the refs imo. I want both the fine finesse but also the brut force aslong as it not plain ugly or dangerous play.

So far its been alot of both in a good amount for me to enjoy it to the max.

I dont know what to think about tonites game against portugal. I feel usa have a big chance to cause an upset as long as you dont give away to much space in the back. Ronaldo is great if not the worlds best when given space but quite ordinary against a low defence.

Will be interesting to c who goes through in the end

martl
06-22-2014, 11:54 AM
Yeah its nice that the refs are also letting the players be physical without blowing the whistle for everything as they sometimes do.

In past WCs, the FIFA had the very bright idea to assemble all appointed refs and tell them what specific rules to keep an eye on.
All those refs were appointed because their own way of refereeing was considered to be good as it was, and then they were forced to do it a different way (or go home after one match)
Always led to an almost comical level of refereeing in the group stages, as for example in japan 2002. None of the players had a clue any more whether they were allowed to do what they did every week in their leagues or not.

As in the Catholic Church, even at FIFA things change, albeit slowly. Now the refs are granted a bit more liberty and can even work as teams.

A good referee will be able to judge whether a match is physical, but within limits, and let it run without taking out the flow, and will sense when things get nasty so he has to interfere.

Climb01742
06-22-2014, 07:07 PM
That last 49:50 was the best the US has played. I was on cloud 9. But damn, those last 10 seconds. Still, a point is a point. Good thing the boys have 3 days to clear their heads. Going through Germany...the hard way.:rolleyes:

pbarry
06-22-2014, 07:15 PM
Great match. Portugal had a few missed opportunities, thankfully. Our boys did good!

BTW, Univision online streaming is incredible, and free.

Scuzzer
06-22-2014, 07:17 PM
As a casual fan they look like the Cleveland Browns of the Kosar era. Just not talented enough to finish anything.

bobswire
06-22-2014, 07:27 PM
As a casual fan they look like the Cleveland Browns of the Kosar era. Just not talented enough to finish anything.

Not quite, the only way you can compare what the USA did in the Group of Death is if Kosars Browns were in todays NFC West and advanced to the finals (now that would be a miracle). USA played great today,had Bradley controlled the ball instead of a lackluster effort in the final 15 seconds the USA would have advanced. As it is they have surpassed most everyone's expectations. Looking forward to them playing Germany.

Scuzzer
06-22-2014, 07:35 PM
As it is they have surpassed most everyone's expectations.

Had they won yes, but since they didn't I'm not seeing your point. Beating Ghana and losing a game they had in hand is exceeding expectations? Once again, I'm a casual fan.

Md3000
06-22-2014, 07:36 PM
The USA deserved that win!! Portugal without Ronaldo is just really ordinary, nani was terrible, so was that other striker.. I wish Bradley was just a bit faster, he makes things on the midfield unnecessary hairy by just not being quick enough at this level. Jones is really great, Dempsey is sharp, Beasley really solid too! Really enjoyed watching this!

Scuzzer they drew, and look really good to advance to the next round with 4 points, good goal difference and a win against Ghana just in case it comes to that

ultraman6970
06-22-2014, 07:37 PM
Still cant believe what just happened, now if bad luck strike to the US the team can't not even qualify. So easy... keep the ball, do player changes that last like a minute, when you get the ball and you are going to lose it just explode the ball towards the sides on your opponent side so it takes them like 10 seconds to restart the game and like 15 more to get back onto your area... the guy is counterattacking like at light speed... just fault HIM!!!!! to hell with the yellow card or even the red one, the game was practically over... all because of one pass wrong and 10 seconds of genius...

Now, nobody is qualify for the 16th rounds, even portugal if makes like 6-0 in the next game can qualify (they have the potential), a tie with germany will be hard, they will go for the kill, they can't lose next game at all.

:/

1X10
06-22-2014, 07:37 PM
Portugal pulled that out of no where!!...But thats the WC...Hats off to USA for a game well played...Being north of the border I will admit I have never really followed the USA very closely and their international play, but must admit I like the tenacity and drive of ALL of your lads!!!...They are playing like its the WC and not like a few other squads that are thinking of their summer break in the Canaries:)

I thought maybe Ronaldo would play with more drive with Pepe sitting out:confused:

Who am I to arm chair guess the worlds best...

Scuzzer
06-22-2014, 07:42 PM
If I hear the cruel game crap from the commentators one more time I'll puke. It's not cruel, you screwed up and they scored.

Gsinill
06-22-2014, 07:45 PM
Good match.
I think the US played much better today than against Ghana.
To me the midfield and Bradley are a little disappointing so far.
Not nominating Donovan might have been a mistake...
In the big scheme of things, 4 points overall seems fair: lucky against Ghana, pity today.
Looking forward to Thursday where everything could be possible.

wc1934
06-22-2014, 08:18 PM
That last 49:50 was the best the US has played. I was on cloud 9. But damn, those last 10 seconds. Still, a point is a point. Good thing the boys have 3 days to clear their heads. Going through Germany...the hard way.:rolleyes:

yup - played well and Howard was big again. 4 points after 2 games is meeting expectations. Today's tie seems like a loss as they were all but thru. However, they are still in the drivers seat - win or tie against Germany and they go thru - even a loss may not kill them as Portugal has a -4 differential.

ultraman6970
06-22-2014, 08:52 PM
IMO the best game time for the US was around minute 30 to 40 where they had Portugal looking at the stars.

Good match.
In the big scheme of things, 4 points overall seems fair: lucky against Ghana, pity today.

gomango
06-22-2014, 09:03 PM
Good match.

Agreed.

Bradley needs to find himself pronto.

We need him to show up against Germany.

velotrack
06-22-2014, 10:44 PM
Agreed. By the last 10 minutes, Bradley was just walking around and jogging it out. No idea what he was doing, but it didn't seem like he was there.

Good match, imo. While I did jump out of my seat in the last 20 seconds for the last goal on the US... I have to say, it was fair, and well done. Favorite part of the game was after we scored... and Portugal went offensive, and you could tell. Well played.

Climb01742
06-23-2014, 06:18 AM
Does the US have a viable substitute for Bradley? If not in the starting lineup then a late game sub. He was dead on his feet out there with 15-20 mins left, he was noticeably more gassed than others even in the stifling conditions.

cfox
06-23-2014, 06:46 AM
Had they won yes, but since they didn't I'm not seeing your point. Beating Ghana and losing a game they had in hand is exceeding expectations? Once again, I'm a casual fan.

so casual that you don't know the actual outcome of the game? They didn't lose the game, it was a draw. In soccer, like it or not, a draw is a positive result. Not as positive as a win, but a draw gets you points. And yes, seeing that no one expected them to have a prayer of coming out of this group, and that they still have a very good chance to advance, they've exceeded expectations.

Vamoots58
06-23-2014, 06:47 AM
did enjoy the game yesterday, just not sure I can take that kind of stress on a regular basis. I was amazed at how, for a 'non-fan' I was completely caught up and crushed when Portugal scored in the final seconds.

Lanterne Rouge
06-23-2014, 07:08 AM
Great game last night and USA were so close - alas this is football.

I think Bradley played a lot better then you're giving him credit for. He's was at the center of a lot of creative play yesterday. Yes he doesn't have the legs or the pace but he's intelligent about where he positions himself (the first yard in his head and all that).

You, the USA, should get through and your last 16 opponent won't underestimate you.

This is a very very good World Cup. Man, I love the World Cup.

Md3000
06-23-2014, 09:28 AM
I think Bradley played a lot better then you're giving him credit for. He's was at the center of a lot of creative play yesterday. Yes he doesn't have the legs or the pace but he's intelligent about where he positions himself (the first yard in his head and all that).

He's not terrible but I just think he's too slow for this level. as a playmaker / central midfielder you already need to know where everyone is before you even get the ball, so you can pass and open up the game for your strikers. Just watch people like Sneijder or Pirlo, even on bad days players like that would do wonders for a good team like the US has.

nathanong87
06-23-2014, 09:50 AM
He's not terrible but I just think he's too slow for this level. as a playmaker / central midfielder you already need to know where everyone is before you even get the ball, so you can pass and open up the game for your strikers. Just watch people like Sneijder or Pirlo, even on bad days players like that would do wonders for a good team like the US has.

100% , he was distributing well that game, BUT i think he could have been way stronger in the 95th minute to not be dispossesed. All the other teammates of his kinda got the message. Either take the ball with u down line, and or just kick it long into portugals D 1/3rd. What kinda pissed me off which led to the goal was that number 2 (i forget his name) on USA, decides to hold up the ball, but then drive in a cross at the 93rd minute? just turn towards the flag, and hold that man!

DISSPOINTED in the result, only because we played well. Way better than we played ghana. The way we were pressing portugal and the chances we created, AND the goals we scored were well worked. I think portugal looked bad, and they were on the back foot the whole game.

numbers are in our favor, but i'd much rather have clinched a placed yesterday than relying on others for our destiny. USA USA USA

howard is epic for us.

oh yea, iran should have had a result against ARG. they played out of their skin, but like USA, it's one mental lapse, giving arguably the best player in the world some breathing room late on, a chance to change the game

also costa rica, man they are the new spain. They played SO WELL.

Algeria sleeper status too. Their group isnt' great, but i like the way they are playing.

Tom
06-23-2014, 10:23 AM
Does anybody else think the protracted celebration of the go ahead goal accounted for any extra of the extra time? When it happened and they started dog piling I muttered "Game's not over. Get back on the field." Sure enough... start reading tomorrow's sports page and forget to mark your man. Which, of course, could have happened in the last 20 seconds of a one minute stoppage time but the longer you give Ronaldo time to pull a rabbit out of his hat... that guy can drop it in a letter box from 50 yards seemingly at will.

MattTuck
06-23-2014, 10:37 AM
Well, everything is still possible.

I think the commentators made the point that England and another team who had played in Manaus ended up playing their next game pretty poorly. I think that there is some question of whether the heat/humidity of last night's game will prove too difficult to recover from before Thursday.

To that end, the players were really dragging at the end of last night's game. It's a shame they couldn't muster a few more minutes of stamina in the conditions, because I think that Ghana could use their speed on a weakened Portugal and win that game.

bobswire
06-23-2014, 10:47 AM
Had the USA been down one goal against Portugal and tied it with 15 seconds to go fans would be ecstatic, yet here they are grumbling about the USA beating Ghana then playing one of the best International teams to a draw with a better than even chance to advance. Fans are fickle, it's been a fun ride so far, don't dawdle on what could have been,look forward to the possibilities.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2lwtbup.jpg

nathanong87
06-23-2014, 11:31 AM
Does anybody else think the protracted celebration of the go ahead goal accounted for any extra of the extra time? When it happened and they started dog piling I muttered "Game's not over. Get back on the field." Sure enough... start reading tomorrow's sports page and forget to mark your man. Which, of course, could have happened in the last 20 seconds of a one minute stoppage time but the longer you give Ronaldo time to pull a rabbit out of his hat... that guy can drop it in a letter box from 50 yards seemingly at will.

news articles are trying to put blame on everything. Claiming that Zusi's walk off the pitch (instead of a sprint) added another 1 minute to extra time, etc.

Ronaldo did NOT look like balon d'or that game. His cross was nice, but arguable he played terrible that game. The look on his face even after they scored, he was just deflated.

not even fickleness. i'd be pissed if we let in those sub par quality portugal goals in the 1st minute or 91st minute.

45K10
06-23-2014, 11:47 AM
I know jack about soccer (football) but I have watched a lot of the world cup this year.

How come Robben (Netherlands) doesn't get the love that Ronaldo and Messi get? He is extremely quick and plays hard all the time. He is one of the more fun guys to watch.

nathanong87
06-23-2014, 12:00 PM
I know jack about soccer (football) but I have watched a lot of the world cup this year.

How come Robben (Netherlands) doesn't get the love that Ronaldo and Messi get? He is extremely quick and plays hard all the time. He is one of the more fun guys to watch.

he does...from people that know about soccer , i think.

i'd say that the league he plays for doesn't get alot of publicity compared to the real madrids and barcelonas. But robben is for sure up there. Also CR7, gets attention for other reasons not related to soccer.

robben is really awesome. Lightning fast, sweet left peg, and he wears the smallest jerseys available haha, which is funny. But yea he's awesome.

awards wise, he doesn't have the sheer number of goals as messi and Cr7 acrue in a season. To get an award like balon d'or, all teams come into play and trophies etc. So holland would need to do well as well as bayern munich. Those spanish dudes like xavi and iniesta , were always up there on FIFA ranking because (well they are good) but spain won WC2010, and Euros, and their club teams always go far in Champions league and La liga.

martl
06-23-2014, 12:06 PM

Messi is the outstanding player of this generation. Ronaldo could be close to him based on skill but would have to stop being the self-adoring sob he is.

In the last two seasons, he did what could be expected from him, but players like Ribery, Lahm or Robben played more consistently on the highest level and did more to help their teams win titles. Possibly even Müller did.
But they never changed clubs for 90mio €, they don't twitter with Rihanna, and their actions don't look as good when cut for a 90 sec YouTube clip.

Climb01742
06-23-2014, 12:25 PM
robben is great and as has been said, dedicated fans admire his play. my .02 about why he isn't a bigger, wider star is two fold: his game is a bit grittier, more blue collar, great but harder to appreciate at a glance. then there's the 'pretty boy' factor. CR and RVP fit more easily into the magazine cover boy mould of beckham. and while it's true messi isn't overly photogenic, his game and goals are things of beauty.

PS: robben just gave yet another demonstration of his speed, sense and skill. boy can play.

Gsinill
06-23-2014, 01:14 PM
+1 to all of this...

The popularity of the German Bundesliga will probably get a boost soon: FOX Sports Acquires US Media Rights to Bundesliga For 2015-2020 (http://worldsoccertalk.com/2013/10/14/fox-sports-acquires-us-media-rights-to-bundesliga-for-2015-2020/#ysgWKhqrMvlTub1C.99)

I totally agree that similar to Beckham in the past, Ronaldo is not necessarily in the spotlight for his performance alone ;)

To me, Messi is by far the better player, he just doesn't have the same looks, no tanning bed in the basement, doesn't pluck his eyebrows every day and gets his haircut at the barber shop around the corner instead of flying in Maitre Jacques from Paris for those fancy cut outs...

Another good example of how glamour plays a role, is Frank Ribery, by many considered the best player in 2013 who should have won the Ballon D'Or over Cristina...
Unfortunately Ribery insured himself right before the WC.

he does...from people that know about soccer , i think.

i'd say that the league he plays for doesn't get alot of publicity compared to the real madrids and barcelonas. But robben is for sure up there. Also CR7, gets attention for other reasons not related to soccer.

robben is really awesome. Lightning fast, sweet left peg, and he wears the smallest jerseys available haha, which is funny. But yea he's awesome.

awards wise, he doesn't have the sheer number of goals as messi and Cr7 acrue in a season. To get an award like balon d'or, all teams come into play and trophies etc. So holland would need to do well as well as bayern munich. Those spanish dudes like xavi and iniesta , were always up there on FIFA ranking because (well they are good) but spain won WC2010, and Euros, and their club teams always go far in Champions league and La liga.

nathanong87
06-23-2014, 01:37 PM
+1 to all of this...

The popularity of the German Bundesliga will probably get a boost soon: FOX Sports Acquires US Media Rights to Bundesliga For 2015-2020 (http://worldsoccertalk.com/2013/10/14/fox-sports-acquires-us-media-rights-to-bundesliga-for-2015-2020/#ysgWKhqrMvlTub1C.99)

I totally agree that similar to Beckham in the past, Ronaldo is not necessarily in the spotlight for his performance alone ;)

To me, Messi is by far the better player, he just doesn't have the same looks, no tanning bed in the basement, doesn't pluck his eyebrows every day and gets his haircut at the barber shop around the corner instead of flying in Maitre Jacques from Paris for those fancy cut outs...

Another good example of how glamour plays a role, is Frank Ribery, by many considered the best player in 2013 who should have won the Ballon D'Or over Cristina...
Unfortunately Ribery insured himself right before the WC.

well messi did win balon d'or though, despite all lack of body modifications lol. This season barca didn't do great, and he was injured (i think) the first half of the season. He would have done the 4 peat for sure. CR7 had an unreal season in conjuction with the post season CL success of RM. I usually agree with the fifa decisions for world player of the year. I dont agree with much else from Fifa doe.

as far as awards go...beckham didn't get many individual accolades as a player. He was popular though and still is. One of my favorite players all time for sure. Him bombing down the right crossing to yorke and/or cole was a thing of beauty

this weeks WC fixtures will be good ones!!!

tuscanyswe
06-23-2014, 01:41 PM
Actually Zlatan is the best but yeah Messi > Ronaldo any day. But its not about who is the best. Its about who had the best season and that has to be Ronaldo out of those 2 for 2013-14. Tho id give Zlatan my vote :)

goonster
06-23-2014, 01:42 PM
How come Robben (Netherlands) doesn't get the love that Ronaldo and Messi get? He is extremely quick and plays hard all the time.
Fans of Chelsea and Real Madrid will be astonished to hear that he "plays hard all the time."

He's a player who, despite obvious talent, has acquired a reputation for fragility, crankiness and one-trick-ponyism. It's a good trick though, when it works: skip down the right, flap the elbow, shift into warp speed and cut to the inside!

Those two aforementioned teams decided he wasn't worth the trouble, and he took a while to catch on at Bayern Munich too. He spent almost half his second season out "injured", while the club and Dutch federation pointed fingers at each other. Very strange episode.

With so many top players misfiring or underachieving, there are a few for whom the stars have aligned, and Robben is among them.

And, yeah, he is the world's oldest-looking 30 year-old, narrowly beating out Jeremy Toulalan.

djg
06-23-2014, 01:42 PM

"Not terrible" seems a bit harsh -- with a few ups and downs, he was a very effective play maker through most of the match, partly because of his head but partly because he was winning quite a few contested balls and creating enough space for himself to distribute the ball well. Yes, he did fade a bit at the end AND I want that last touch back, PLEASE, and yes you must play the full 90 minutes PLUS whatever is added on, but many world class midfielders have faded in similar fashion at this cup. No, not in anybody's top handful, much less among the greats from past years, but I'd say he was mostly very effective yesterday.

veggieburger
06-23-2014, 01:49 PM
http://davidbikes.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/chili.jpg?w=584

45K10
06-23-2014, 01:53 PM
And, yeah, he is the world's oldest-looking 30 year-old, narrowly beating out Jeremy Toulalan.

He is 30! Another reason I liked him was I thought he was at least 40 out there kicking a**. Oh well, still like watching him play he had an awesome assist at the end of the match today.

nathanong87
06-23-2014, 02:02 PM
HAHAHAHAHA i refrained from mentioning his receeding hairline in my first post, but hilarious that someone else picked up on it!

bobswire
06-23-2014, 02:41 PM
Fans of Chelsea and Real Madrid will be astonished to hear that he "plays hard all the time."

He's a player who, despite obvious talent, has acquired a reputation for fragility, crankiness and one-trick-ponyism. It's a good trick though, when it works: skip down the right, flap the elbow, shift into warp speed and cut to the inside!

Those two aforementioned teams decided he wasn't worth the trouble, and he took a while to catch on at Bayern Munich too. He spent almost half his second season out "injured", while the club and Dutch federation pointed fingers at each other. Very strange episode.

With so many top players misfiring or underachieving, there are a few for whom the stars have aligned, and Robben is among them.

BUT he always shows up in World Cup competition, go figure.

martl
06-23-2014, 02:51 PM

Umm he scored 2 in his very first match for Bayern and ended his first season with 16 goals in 24 matches.
He looks like a one trick pony because all the worldclass defenders in the world haven't figured out yet how to stop him from cutting in and finishing with his left.
When one watches him in a regular basis, it becomes obvious that he is technically extremely versatile, sometimes even using his right foot ;)

His glass constitution is a problem and doc mull at Bayern seems to be the first shaman who figured out how to keep him fit. Hence the anger when the Dutch used him despite all the signs that he wasn't healthy because they were back against the wall in 2010 and sent him back to the club with a hole in his upper thigh muscle as big as a silver dollar.

ultraman6970
06-23-2014, 06:02 PM
Darn, chile just screwed up. There is a chilean football commentator that said it like 2 months ago right after the full team was called... "The Coach doesnt know how to make changes"... "He is leaving the only Central player that is tall at home"... and today those 2 things became so darn true. They came with 2 idiotic changes that opened the whole field to the dutch, you were able to tell that more balls where arriving to them. Mising head shots after corner shots, etc etc. Bad bad bad changes.

Mexico played great!!!

tuscanyswe
06-23-2014, 06:10 PM
Ive seen quite alot of Robben. Only time i saw him cutting in from the right side and not going left to set up his left foot (atleast that i can remember) was against barca in the semis last year where he actually scored (still with his left i think). I was as suprised as the barcelona defender (probably alba) seemed to be.

Robben is a great player, just not very likable imo.

Climb01742
06-23-2014, 07:00 PM

But he's nowhere near as unlikeable as Eric Cantona was, so says the Arsenal fan.;)

Len J
06-23-2014, 08:09 PM
If you watch the replay of the Portugal goal from behind the play, that goal was all about the defense, everyone was focused on Ronaldo and no one was defending the back side. That was a team error not a Bradley error.

IMO

Len

Gsinill
06-23-2014, 08:32 PM
Joe Hart has experienced worse ;)

wc1934
06-23-2014, 08:57 PM

I so dislike crybaby CR's arrogance, cockiness, and showmanship (so unlike Messi).
However, he is a remarkable athlete. I saw a documentary where they measured his agility, speed, vertical leap etc - his times and scores were equal to world class performances. Then they set him up at the top of the box to receive a corner kick - and of course he scored. Then they repeated the same corner kick, but while the ball was in mid flight they turned out the lights - in total darkness he was still able to head it in. It's probably somewhere on utube.

martl
06-24-2014, 12:19 AM
[/U][/B]

I so dislike crybaby CR's arrogance, cockiness, and showmanship (so unlike Messi).

However, he is a remarkable athlete. I saw a documentary where they measured his agility, speed, vertical leap etc - his times and scores were equal to world class performances. Then they set him up at the top of the box to receive a corner kick - and of course he scored. Then they repeated the same corner kick, but while the ball was in mid flight they turned out the lights - in total darkness he was still able to head it in. It's probably somewhere on utube.

Think I've seen the feature.
I'd have been impressed if they had shown me things he could do that other players can"t do or can"t do as good. Now all I know is that he can run almost as fast as a sprinter in a straight line but is faster around obstacles, and that he looks ever so good with the correct lighting against a black background.
The "lights out header" and the James Bond scientists flashy computer graphics are circus. A vanity job, paid for by nike or Adidas or whoever has him under contract.

Lanterne Rouge
06-24-2014, 07:21 AM

Because he's astonishingly arrogant. He dives and cheats. For a footballing purist diving is the worst form of cheating. Suarez suffers in popularity for the same reason. Honesty of play is of paramount importance.

oldpotatoe
06-24-2014, 07:26 AM
Know next to nothing about 'futbol'...BUT USA plays Germany this thursday..if they tie, both go to the next round..USA coach a former team mate of the German coach...hmmmmm...in cycling, 'deals' are made all the time..any phone calls made ya think??

I predict a 0-0 tie..but like I said, I know nothing about this sport.

Gsinill
06-24-2014, 07:41 AM
Quote from Klinsmann in a German magazine on this topic:

"Wir sind gute Freunde, aber es wird keinen Anruf geben. Es ist keine Zeit für Freundschaftsanrufe, jetzt geht es ums Geschäft."

"We are good friends, but there won't be any calls. Now is not the time for calls amongst friends, it's business that is at stake".

We'll see ;)

Know next to nothing about 'futbol'...BUT USA plays Germany this thursday..if they tie, both go to the next round..USA coach a former team mate of the German coach...hmmmmm...in cycling, 'deals' are made all the time..any phone calls made ya think??

I predict a 0-0 tie..but like I said, I know nothing about this sport.

martl
06-24-2014, 08:00 AM
Because he's astonishingly arrogant. He dives and cheats. For a footballing purist diving is the worst form of cheating. Suarez suffers in popularity for the same reason. Honesty of play is of paramount importance.
Allow me to correct this: for Players who aren't in your Team, Honesty of play is of paramount importance.
All the united fans love Nani and Christiana Ronalda although they are two of the worst cheaters and divers of the last decade.
In the two WC matches alone Robben could have gotten plenty of freekicks because with his combination of Speed and fragile build he gets fouled about every second time he touches the ball.
I've seen more diving attempts from Sturridge in tis tournament than i've seen from Robben.

oldpotatoe
06-24-2014, 08:08 AM
Allow me to correct this: for Players who aren't in your Team, Honesty of play is of paramount importance.
All the united fans love Nani and Christiana Ronalda although they are two of the worst cheaters and divers of the last decade.
In the two WC matches alone Robben could have gotten plenty of freekicks because with his combination of Speed and fragile build he gets fouled about every second time he touches the ball.
I've seen more diving attempts from Sturridge in tis tournament than i've seen from Robben.

'Diving'..faking a huge injury? Seem to see a lot of this..slo-mo shows minor to no contact but the guy falls on the ground and screams..very theatrical..is that what diving is?

goonster
06-24-2014, 08:31 AM
'Diving'..faking a huge injury? Seem to see a lot of this..slo-mo shows minor to no contact but the guy falls on the ground and screams..very theatrical..is that what diving is?

Diving is the simulation of a foul. Falling down without sufficient contact, with the intent of earning a free kick or penalty, is cheating and can be punished by a yellow card.

That said, there are huge grey areas. A defender could trip an attacker such that he stumbles, but doesn't fall, robbing him of positional advantage. That's a foul, and the attacker might then let himself fall to "sell" the foul and force the referee into taking action. I don't think that's diving, in most cases, but others might disagree.

Other times, players clash, one or both go down. Is it a foul or a dive? Might be neither, simply legal hip or shoulder contact, or a good-faith tackle that catches both the ball and the player.

nathanong87
06-24-2014, 08:43 AM
also lets make the distinction that embellishment is not the same as diving nor are both of those the same as 'playing or a foul'.

dribbling across a defender , for example, when approaching the box, and expecting to get fouled, then getting fouled, and getting a penalty.... it's well... fair (i think).

not getting touched, and going down, is cheating.

getting fouled, and going down, is getting fouled. Some embellish more than others. Embellishing to the point where u are trying to get the ref to make a 'harsher' punishment is a grey area , that i dont like myself. IE, holding your face when two people are running side by side and a flailing arm might hit you....trying to get the player sent off.

there are indeed grey areas, but even cr7, has gotten better (well not better) at this. At sportin lisbon, he was diving ALOT. Even early years at Man U, he was going down way easy..... but i think Sir Alex and others, kinda told him to cut it out.... this might be evident with the lack of stepovers and more 'ridiculous' moves in his later Man U career.

one of the more honest players (yea yea, someone will post the chelsea game) is messi. That guy gets hacked ALOT, and seemingly stays on his feet ALOT. Not saying Cr7 doesn't dive anymore, and/or nani doe.

Ozz
06-24-2014, 11:34 AM
If you watch the replay of the Portugal goal from behind the play, that goal was all about the defense, everyone was focused on Ronaldo and no one was defending the back side. That was a team error not a Bradley error.

IMO

Len

+1

exactly...I was screaming at the defense (via TV) "look behind you!"....they didn't hear me....ugh. Saw it coming all the way from midfield.

It was a shame that both of Portugals goals were due to USA defensive errors rather that creative play...cest la vie.

goonster
06-24-2014, 12:59 PM
Italy.

I stand corrected.

MattTuck
06-24-2014, 01:03 PM
it's not a party until Luis Suarez bites someone.

tuscanyswe
06-24-2014, 01:06 PM
Ref ruining that game imo :-/