PDA

View Full Version : A start in the bike biz.

David Kirk
06-12-2014, 05:48 PM
I've been asked more than a few times over the years how I got my start in the bike biz and just this afternoon I stumbled on a current photo of the first guy to hire me into the bike biz. He is the guy in the Campy hat at the center of the photo and his name is Dick Sonne. Dick hired me when I was 17 years old to work at his shop "Dick Sonnes Ski, Hike and Bike" and it was the perfect place to learn the ropes. I worked there on and off for 6-7 years but only go to work under Dick for the first year or two before he decided to spend more time riding his bike and less time fixing other peoples bikes. His power on the bike was stuff of legend and lots of young fit racer dudes with fancy Italian bikes and shaved legs got caught, and shucked, by Dick as he rode his mountain bike in cut off jeans on the road just to feel the burn. He could break the pedals off back in the day.

I see he is still around and 90 years old now. I wish I could sit and talk with him and thank him for giving me a chance........I owe him a lot.

Thanks for reading -

dave

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t1.0-9/p526x296/984105_645734425520962_1483114791490141671_n.jpg

avalonracing
06-12-2014, 06:06 PM
He looks young at heart from the crowd he keeps!

OtayBW
06-12-2014, 06:25 PM
I see he is still around and 90 years old now. I wish I could sit and talk with him and thank him for giving me a chance........I owe him a lot.

You just did. Somehow, I'm sure the message was received in this mysterious universe....

shovelhd
06-12-2014, 06:59 PM
I remember that name. He was a legend in the 80's.

BobbyJones
06-12-2014, 07:04 PM
After a loooooong hiatus, my first "recent" bike came from his shop in New Hartford around 2000 or so.

I never met him, but locals in the area talked about him as a legend. Sounds like Dave backs it up.

Dale Alan
06-12-2014, 07:05 PM
Cool story,Would it happen to be in Utica NY ?

Dale Alan
06-12-2014, 07:10 PM
New Hartford/Utica area..damn it's a small world . I am stopping there saturday to pick up a cassette after the Blackfly Challenge . I was impressed with my first visit,quite a shop they have.

David Kirk
06-12-2014, 07:21 PM
One of my favorite Dick Sonne stories comes from a time he'd just moved from NY to Florida with his wife Ruth for 1/2 the year to enjoy the warmth. He brought his mountain bike (custom Ritchey by Tom) and he rode it on the road and paths for fitness and fun.

One day he's out and riding on his own and see's a rider a ways in front of him so he does what so many of us do and he puts the hammer down to try to catch the guy. It's takes awhile but he catches the guy and tries to talk with him and the guy is a cold fish and doesn't want to talk. Dick then sees another guy up the road a bit and being bored with the first guy he chases the second guy down and catches him too. Same deal.........tries to make small talk with him but no deal.

He then sees that there is a string of riders up the road so once more he lays it down and chases up to a few more riders and finally he notices that they all have numbers on their bikes. One of them finally yells at Dick, a 60+ year old guy in cutoffs, a T shirt and a campy hat, "no drafting!!".

Dick had caught a triathlon.

That guy is awesome. Long live Dick Sonne.

dave

Dale Alan
06-12-2014, 07:36 PM
Now that is a cool story ! I respect guys like that.

gasman
06-12-2014, 08:00 PM
What a great story Dave.

Thanks for sharing

christian
06-12-2014, 08:06 PM
Nice story Dave. Thanks.

climbgdh
06-12-2014, 08:49 PM
Great story..... I absolutely love stories like that!! Made me smile for sure. Thanks.

weisan
06-12-2014, 09:08 PM
Extraordinary.

Thanks Dave-pal.

AngryScientist
06-12-2014, 09:14 PM
fantastic story, great background.

based on that picture alone, i like the way he rolls.

parris
06-12-2014, 09:44 PM
One of the cool things to know about the photo is that there's 3 generations in that photo. Steve, Laurel, and at least their daughter are still running the shop. Their son may also be in the shop but I can't be sure.

texbike
06-12-2014, 10:13 PM
Cool story and great picture. Now THAT looks like a fun family!!!

Dave, I think we all owe him a thank you for starting you down your path. Whether we've owned one of your bikes or not, I'm sure that your time at Serotta and on your own has influenced the industry to a degree that most of us here have been impacted by it in some way.

Thanks for sharing the picture and story!

Texbike

soulspinner
06-13-2014, 06:11 AM
I've been asked more than a few times over the years how I got my start in the bike biz and just this afternoon I stumbled on a current photo of the first guy to hire me into the bike biz. He is the guy in the Campy hat at the center of the photo and his name is Dick Sonne. Dick hired me when I was 17 years old to work at his shop "Dick Sonnes Ski, Hike and Bike" and it was the perfect place to learn the ropes. I worked there on and off for 6-7 years but only go to work under Dick for the first year or two before he decided to spend more time riding his bike and less time fixing other peoples bikes. His power on the bike was stuff of legend and lots of young fit racer dudes with fancy Italian bikes and shaved legs got caught, and shucked, by Dick as he rode his mountain bike in cut off jeans on the road just to feel the burn. He could break the pedals off back in the day.

Thanks for reading -

dave

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t1.0-9/p526x296/984105_645734425520962_1483114791490141671_n.jpg

Grew up near there. It always astonished me how many amazing riders I encountered over the years in upstate ny. A former NY champion lives near me and must be in his 60s now. I still hear he can rock it on a road bike.

David Kirk
06-13-2014, 10:25 AM
Grew up near there. It always astonished me how many amazing riders I encountered over the years in upstate ny. A former NY champion lives near me and must be in his 60s now. I still hear he can rock it on a road bike.

I agree - CNY is a hotbed of performance riders..........and this is in no small part to Dick's efforts way back in the day. I was lucky to grow up as a person and a rider there.

dave

tiretrax
06-13-2014, 10:44 AM
Thanks for posting this, Dave. It's great to see a family tradition carry on.

ohsnapitsed
06-13-2014, 01:05 PM
Great story~ I'm sure we'd all love to get a ride in with Dick. Or just hang out at his shop and listen to his stories.

David Kirk
06-13-2014, 01:55 PM
Great story~ I'm sure we'd all love to get a ride in with Dick. Or just hang out at his shop and listen to his stories.

He has a lot of stories but is so unassuming he used to have no idea anyone might want to hear them. He's a quiet man.

I don't recall what year he started his shop but the family wanted him to go into the family biz - jewelry. Hard to picture Dick standing behind the counter at a jeweler.

He started the shop at the right time and did very well for himself in the 70's when he set up a cot in the back room and Ruth came with dinner and breakfast and he was at the shop 24 hours a day. He put a lot of 10 speeds under butts during the 70's bike boom.

Even when I started working there in 1980 there was a night shift. My first job there was cleaning bikes that were in for tune ups. I went to work at 6 or 7 pm and stayed until 1-2 am............and the morning guys started work pretty darn early. It was fun and exciting to be part of.

dave

parris
06-13-2014, 02:49 PM
Dave the shop is in its 52nd or 53rd year.

David Kirk
06-13-2014, 03:17 PM
Dave the shop is in its 52nd or 53rd year.

How cool it that? very I say.

dave