PDA

View Full Version : Half OT: Motorcycle chain lube

AngryScientist
06-12-2014, 04:21 PM
as you all know i'm relatively new to the world of motorcycles.

i use home brew chain lube on my bicycle for years with no complaints, what should i be using on my much fatter motorcycle chain, same stuff or...

??

fuzzalow
06-12-2014, 04:53 PM
Nuthin' much if it is an O-ring chain. All the lubricant for the chain is sealed behind the o-ring to the links & rollers of the chain. Keep the chain clean to prevent dirt as an abrasive in wear compromising the o-ring sealing capacity. I clean the chain with a rag damp with kerosene.

If the chain isn't an o-ring, wait for it to wear out anf then get an o-ring chain.

Ken Robb
06-12-2014, 05:02 PM
Motorcycle chains turn faster so you really want a lube that is highly resistant to being flung off. On a modern street bike the chain will almost surely be and O-ring or X-ring design with the actual lubricant sealed inside the links. The reason I use spray-on "chain lube" is to prevent surface rust and keep the o-rings from drying out prematurely. I have 18,000 miles on the original chain on my Ducati and it is still fine. That is a record for me.

My method of applying the lube is NOT RECOMMENDED due to obvious risk but it works fine for me on my bike. I put the bike on the center stand with the engine idling. Then I slip it into first gear and carefully let out the clutch so I don't jiggle the bike and possibly make the spinning rear wheel contact the ground. Then I give the top of the chain a quick spray during a single revolution of the rear wheel. This give me uniform distribution and minimal waste of the lube. Not all bikes have enough ground clearance of the rear wheel when the bike is on the center stand and some that seem to have enough clearance will bounce and jiggle when you let the clutch out and run off the stand with a crash. You have been warned. :)

shovelhd
06-12-2014, 05:41 PM

i use home brew chain lube on my bicycle for years with no complaints, what should i be using on my much fatter motorcycle chain, same stuff or...

??

I used to use Maxima Para chain wax. I bet I have a can around somewhere. PM me your shipping address and I'll send you one.

witcombusa
06-12-2014, 06:30 PM
+1

Chain wax is the way to go. Maxima is as good as any.

Steve in SLO
06-12-2014, 06:34 PM
I agree with chain wax...I use Bel-Ray but any high-quality would do.
AVOID Suzuki chain lube. When I bought my first bike (Suzuki) the salesman extolled its benefits. It turned out to be the thickest, stickiest, gloppiest stuff to get off, and flicked everywhere in the rear of the bike. Blech!

commonguy001
06-12-2014, 06:37 PM
+1

Chain wax is the way to go. Maxima is as good as any.

Another long time maxima chain wax user and it does the trick.
Apply per instructions and the chain will last for a long long time.

christian
06-12-2014, 06:52 PM
I use Motorex spray-on on my EX250. The rest of my rides are shafties. It flings off and makes a mess but it's a commuter ninjette, so wgas.

Hank Scorpio
06-12-2014, 06:55 PM
What type of bike and does the rear swing arm have braze ons for spools? If so get a pitbull rear stand. It will make working on your bike so much easier unless it already has a center stand then there is no need. You can spin the wheel by hand and still get a nice even coating of lube on the entire chain without putting it into gear and risking a calamity. I used the Bel Ray stuff as well but there may be some newer super lubes that have come to market since I have quit riding.

mcteague
06-13-2014, 06:46 AM
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-chain-lube-reviews/

Tim

cfox
06-13-2014, 07:48 AM
I like Klotz lube. It's sort of the Pro Gold of moto lubes, meaning it cleans, dries, and then leaves behind a lube. It goes on with minimal overspray, too.

norcalbiker
06-13-2014, 11:17 AM
Nuthin' much if it is an O-ring chain. All the lubricant for the chain is sealed behind the o-ring to the links & rollers of the chain. Keep the chain clean to prevent dirt as an abrasive in wear compromising the o-ring sealing capacity. I clean the chain with a rag damp with kerosene.

If the chain isn't an o-ring, wait for it to wear out anf then get an o-ring chain.

What he said. :bike:

gemship
06-13-2014, 12:42 PM
+2 and you could substitute the kerosene with mineral spirits. Although I do like Ken Robb's suggestion of lubing the chain to prevent corrosion. OTOH I don't mind if the side plates on my SV650's chain get a little oxidized with surface rust as I just give them a quick once over with a wire brush and the mineral spirits. Yeah as long as your not doing burnouts and wheelies, keep the chain clean, keep the stock gearing with metal sprockets a o ring chain can last a really long time.

wallymann
06-13-2014, 01:49 PM
as others have said, o-ring chains are pre-lubed. WD40 is great at keeping your chain clean and preventing corrosion when used regularly. plus it's light enough that it doesnt attract/hold grime which would accelerate chain/sprocket wear.

??